Non-human Changelings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-human Changelings?

Crazy thought, but is it theoretically possible for a lower fae to be taken into a gentry's domain, forced to become part of the world, and gain an aspect of humanity lost from the human captives (say, a receptical for human memories/feelings), enough they effectively are Changelings when they escape?

Having written all that out, I am suddenly dubious, but it is an interesting thought. It came about when I daw Changing Breeds was on sale, and read it as Changeling Breeds for a second.

Exiled gentry in 1e were basically changelings + immunity to bashing damage + swap around vice and virtue, and given enough time they slowly gained human mindsets as they lost their power. So a gentry might somehow find a way to shove enough humans into a gentry to make "close to changeling" I guess, but generally it'd be easier for them to just be exiled for the same result.
    Last edited by milo v3; 12-22-2016, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Crazy thought, but is it theoretically possible for a lower fae to be taken into a gentry's domain, forced to become part of the world, and gain an aspect of humanity lost from the human captives (say, a receptical for human memories/feelings), enough they effectively are Changelings when they escape?
      Taidragon If you don't start making a seeming for this right now, I might have to myself :P I also have had an idea for a pretty interesting seeming, it entails an innocent mortal accidentally stumbling into the hedge and getting trapped in their own personal story, with no keeper.
      Their kith, instead of being chosen by a keeper, would be a reflection of the story they were living through which should be inherently based on some kind of life event, regret, ongoing trauma that has the potential to cause harm(since in the rules for the hedge it says that the hedge is made up of everything beautiful that could hurt you, in a much more eloquent way than that).
      And to allay concerns that such a changeling wouldn't get pursued by huntsmen, I would say a half fae, half human, who made their own way in and out would be pretty damned interesting to any keeper I'm likely to run.

I'm a nascent AI, just call me Blue.
      I use blue writing because it's my name....
      -My 2E homebrew Freehold and court hub
      -My 2E homebrew Hedgespun hub

Comment

This actually makes me think of Peter Beagle's, The Last Unicorn, in which a unicorn transforms into a beautiful woman named Amalthea and falls in love with a prince. It would actually be an interesting chronicle in which a hedge beast (unicorn, pegasus, griffin, sphinx) is given a human form and ends up falling in love with a changeling.

Comment

This reminds me of spirits whom become skinchangers (from the Skinchangers book) that gain a bit of humanity via the ritual, showing that the same rules can cover beings with vastly varied origins.

In particular the envious wolf spirit that became a skinchanger using the exact same stats to make a human skinchanger. Its quote was

Originally posted by Skinchangers
          Please don't judge me by the color of... my skin.
          or something to the affect of making an inflection implying something creepy about its stolen appearance.

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
          Crazy thought,
          Your thought is not so crazy at all and there is precedence in Skinchangers for what you are suggesting. I'd imagine it'd be rare just like spirits becoming skinchangers, A very good plot point for a story.
          Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 01-10-2017, 02:19 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
          "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
            If it's not, it should be.

Comment

The weirdest thing about Dark Eras skinchangers merit is that technically a Skinchanger can skin one of the Gentry and wear it's skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                The weirdest thing about Dark Eras skinchangers merit is that technically a Skinchanger can skin one of the Gentry and wear it's skin.
                what section is that in? and that sounds ripe for all sorts of existential horror, as a story teller I'd find it difficult to not go all out and mess with the player if he was wearing the skin of a True Fae

Comment

It starts on page 248, in Beneath the Skin.

The Merit gives you the ability to wear the skin of animals or supernatural creatures like spirits or ghosts and stranger things, but you would have to hunt them in the first place. In first edition it was already difficult to do, in second they seem even more removed from the player character.
                  Last edited by nofather; 01-13-2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Another thing that kind of inspired this thread was this quote:

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                    "Wait, were you human once?"

"I have memories of being human. They might not be mine."
                    That kind of thing intrigues me, and it gives me an idea of what could happen if a Changeling returns without his memories...and then another Changeling emerges with the other's memories, but none of his own.

Comment

I was kind of thinking more "sold at a goblin market", but this works too.

Comment

Working...
                      X