Hedgespun Items Rework(2E)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hedgespun Items Rework(2E)

So, here's an expansion on hedgespun items.

1. Rules as Written

Lost - CO3 - GOLD.pdf, pg. 51-52
    Hedgespun (•+)
    Each dot of the merit may be used to purchase one of the following unique abilities that a
    changeling can weave into their Hedgespun item. Abilities may be purchased multiple times.

• Raiment: The hedgespun is wearable, and represents a full outfit including appropriate
    accessories such as shoes and jewelry. It offers no special mechanical bonuses.

• Basic Equipment: The hedgespun armor, weapon, tool, or automaton has the same
    functionality and equipment bonuses as its mundane equivalent.

• Extraordinary Equipment: The hedgespun gains an appropriate +1 equipment bonus to a
    skill or situation whether it's a bonus to larceny for a mechanical lockpick or to disguise
    rolls thanks to the psychoactive raiment.

• Increased Durability: The hedgespun gains a point of Durability and can pierce Durability, each
    point spent here can ignore a point of an item's Durability.

•Greater Defense: The hedgespun increases the user's Defense by 1.

• Improved Alacrity: The hedgespun increases the user's Initiative and Speed by +2

Action: None

Mien: Any

Drawback: Hedgespun dissolves at the touch of iron. One-dot Hedgespun will shrivel and
    unravel at its touch, and Gossamer armor offers no protection against it.

Catch: Hedgespun becomes irritable and refuses to cooperate when its wearer is non-fae. It will
    chafe, operate erratically, or otherwise get in the way during any task that requires concentration
    or social interaction, imposing a -1 die penalty.

2. Additions and Amendments

ALL hedgespun items can be considered alive, but only in the same way a tree is.
    Each dot of the merit may be used to purchase one of the following unique abilities that a
    changeling can weave into their Hedgespun item. Abilities may be purchased multiple times.
    Basic Equipment: The hedgespun armor, clothing, weapon, tool, or automaton has the same
    functionality and equipment bonuses as its mundane equivalent.

Multi-functional Equipment: Select another form of basic equipment and purchase as per normal, the hedgespun item may be changed from one to the other with a turn of focus and a glamour.
    Any points spent that do not transfer from one item to another, such as plus 1 lethal from a sword to a cloak, do not carry over to the new item, however any dots such as Enhanced durability, alacrity or awareness do.
    The Changeling may spend an additional point of glamour to make this change reflexive.

Drawback: The change can sometimes be quite disturbing to a mortal onlooker unless the changeling somehow disguises it using larceny or expression.

•+ Extraordinary Equipment:
    Each may be purchased multiple times.

Enhanced Equipment: The hedgespun gains an appropriate +1 equipment bonus to a
    skill or situation whether it's a bonus to larceny for a mechanical lockpick or to disguise
    rolls thanks to the psychoactive raiment.

Enhanced Durability: The hedgespun item gains a point of Durability or can pierce Durability.

Greater Defense: The hedgespun item increases the user's Defense by 1.

Improved Alacrity: The hedgespun item increases the user's Initiative and Speed by +2

• Enhanced Awareness: The hedgespun item adds +1 to the wielders perception roll.

• Size Distortion: When choosing this merit, decide whether you are purchasing a size increase or decrease. Each point spent allows the object to
    manipulate it's size with an instant action and a point of glamour on the changelings part, to a minimum of size 1.

• - •••••+ Epic equipment:(work in progress)
    Prerequisite: An Item may has 'slots' for epic equipment dots equal to it's total merit rating*2 excluding epic equipment dots.

••• - Prehensile Garb: Clothing may act as an extra limb with all the functionality of a real one when in direct physical contact with the Wielder.

• - ••••• Sentient Equipment: Sentient equipment may be thought of as having a single dot of intelligence per dot, and functions similarly to the retainer merit (CofD Core, pg. 53-54). The objects Wielder may mentally communicate with it as long as it remains withing Wyrd*miles of the Wielder, in addition it will actively attempt to assist the wielder; use the aforementioned retainer rules to work out dice pools for the objects action. While they cannot truly move autonomously of their Wielder without purchasing the Locomotion addition, a sword may leap into it's owners hands at a moments notice, a torch turn itself off when it notices something the changeling does not, a gun may be a better shot than it's Wielder. The wielder may assist the objects instant or extended actions by adding Wyrd to the roll, however a reflexive action is generally the object acting autonomously and therefore does not benefit from this advantage.

Drawback: Adds an additional -1 per dot in this merit to ANYONE but the owner to operate it in any way. It's owner may command it to co-operate at 2 dots or higher. In addition, given it has the means, the object may attempt to actively retaliate. A gun will jam or even cause itself minor damage rather than harm it's true owner, given the opportunity it would pull the trigger on anyone it thought of as a threat to the owner. Some Changelings have distinctly regretted bringing their weapons of choice to life. See below merits for other ways a sentient object can murder your friends, or as I said to a friend "Imagine a sentient screwdriver with 4 dots of locomotion whose only ambitions in life are to unscrew things and assist it's Wielder. What happens if it's owner goes missing?"

•• - •••• Locomotion: 2 dot: The item gains a speed equal to the it's dot rating and some means of locomotion. If it already possessed a means of locomotion this may be purchased again to gain an additional means of transport.
    4 dot: The items speed is equal to double it's dot rating.

Note: Improved Alacrity also adds to the items speed.

Drawback: Objects moving by themselves are very, very weird.

• - ••••• Contracts: the item may be bound to a fae or goblin contract, which are channeled through the item itself with the normal glamour cost associated. Any contract where the target is the user the item is considered to be the user, though a flaming sword can be coaxed into not setting the handle on fire too.

Drawback: The changeling must fuel the contracts with glamour and willpower where required, or take a point of lethal damage per glamour and a point of aggravated per willpower.

Action: Depends on the item

Mien: Any

Drawback - Whereas regular iron merely reduces it to it's mundane equivalent, hedgespun items dissolve at the touch of cold iron. A hedgespun item's structure is calculated the normal way + Epic Item dots. Where cast iron may only ignore any magical benefits associated with the item, cold iron ignores durability and functions similarly to a bane, causing a point of structure damage for every turn spent in contact and completely ignoring durability.

Damage and Healing it:
    Optional: Each point of structure damage suffered temporarily disables an equal number of dots spent on the merit equal to structure lost and thus the benefits associated, these are chosen by the player.
    • Structure may be healed only inside the wild untamed hedge with an expenditure of a point of lethal damage and 5 glamour. To do so make an extended action using intelligence + crafts + wyrd, or leave the item somewhere in the untamed hedge for one week per point of structure.
    Catch: Hedgespun items become irritable and refuse to cooperate when its wearer is non-fae. It will chafe, operate erratically, or otherwise get in the way during any task that requires concentration or social interaction, imposing a -1 die penalty.

TBC
    Last edited by Blue-01.exe; 12-29-2016, 04:47 AM.

I'm a nascent AI, just call me Blue.
    I use blue writing because it's my name....
    -My 2E homebrew Freehold and court hub
    -My 2E homebrew Hedgespun hub

Doctor Strange's flying cape could apply, honestly. Don't have any proper items to share here though.

Comment

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
      Doctor Strange's flying cape could apply, honestly. Don't have any proper items to share here though.
      Not to worry yet! I'm moving house and will be adding all the additions you need to make items that can self locomote and whatnot as soon as I get the chance!
      Also consider the idea that certain functionalities may be combined such as say, buying the ability for the cape to fly, buying the ability for it to treat you like it's a level 5 retainer in terms of loyalty, the ability for it to protect you.

Once I've actually got some additions out I'm hoping to inspire some truly awesome stuff, so far, I don't even have any items of my own.

Comment

Taidragon Well, I've got the stuff for you to make that cape you wanted...
        Last edited by Blue-01.exe; 12-24-2016, 02:01 PM.

Comment

A classic item I hope to still fall under the hedge spun rules is a scarf woven of flame that will keep you warm even in the coldest weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
            A classic item I hope to still fall under the hedge spun rules is a scarf woven of flame that will keep you warm even in the coldest weather.
            Have a look at the Epic Item level stuff! Contracts could absolutely allow for that at ST discretion!

Though now that it's a decent hour I'm wondering...
            What if I bought cloak of the bears massive form for an item...
            I need to rework how I do contracts in relation to hedgespun items, but the general gist is there so far.

Comment

A large update has been made to Epic Equipment.

Comment

38 Merits later, the Gaudy edition of Doctor Strange's Cloak of Levitation, as requested by Taidragon.

1 Basic equipment: Cloak
                5 Improved alacrity
                5 Enhanced durability
                5 Greater Defense
                5 Otherworldly Composition(bashing protection)

5 Sentience
                4 locomotion
                3 Contract: Cloak of the Elements
                3 Prehensile garb
                2 Multi functional: Business suit

The more affordable 17 dot edition.

1 Basic equipment: Cloak
                3 Enhanced durability
                2 Greater Defense
                1 Otherworldly Composition(bashing protection)

2 Sentience
                2 locomotion
                1 Contract: Cloak of the Elements
                3 Prehensile garb
                2 Multi functional: Business suit

PLEASE NOTE THERE HAVE BEEN MAJOR UPDATES.
                There have been additions to epic and extraordinary item merits, as well as a doubling of the slots for epic merits.
                Last edited by Blue-01.exe; 12-28-2016, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the Threadomancy but quick question?

Lets say I wanted to Hedge Spin up an Axe for a Viking inspired character. The Axe is a weapon forged in the heart of winter its self, and has the appearance ice, frost clinging to it and mist lifting from it. It's story as told by the character is thus:
                  "There is a great warrior who stands as a shield wall unto himself. It is said that his favorite weapon is his battle axe, which it's self is weapon born to fight and conquer all that stands before it. He traveled with many friends, a great Healer, a sage, the king of the kingless, and the Fate Warper. One day a monster of strange fire came from no where and the great warriors friends were thrown into a panic, the great healer curled in on herself unable to take the site of the creature her howls of fear at her prophetic dreams come true ringing in the ears of his allies. The King stood over her trying to coax her back to her feat, and the Fate Spinner stepped forward and cast her runes upon the warrior to improve his fate, the Sage struggled to identify the monster so it could be slain better. So he battled the monster one on one. Telling the others to not step in, for all nightmares are fleeting and exist to be conquered. Clad in armor of Kevlar, Ceramic, and Ice the warrior fought. His axe crashing down time and again ringing out like a cracking glacier as he fought. He fought long after the blade of his axe shattered and he was forced to fight unarmed he did not let that stop him.

Slaying the beast alone, he claimed it's heart, and brought it into the depths of the most frozen hedge along with the axe covered in the monster's blood to forge anew."

So With those ingredients and that story how would you go about making the new hedgespun axe?

Comment

Working...
                  X