Question about the Huntsman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the Huntsman

As far as we know, Huntsmen are implacable pursuers who absolutely won´t stop until they prey is captured. Does that mean the moment one of them appears in the Chronicle after one of the PCs, his player´s only options are: a) be eventually captured or b) sell out another changeling(s) for a token?

in many ways, that is life for a changeling: constantly dealing with Huntsmen. There will be respites when they cause them to run out of Yearning or even get a Token of Reprieve (though not sure if that makes them forever off limits, but they are prey.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Another option does involve killing the Huntsmen, and in fact one of the pre-made courts even makes such a hunt part of their rituals. However, the problem with that is that a Huntsman kills a human every time they come from the Hedge, so as to adapt to Ironside, and they need to repeat this when they come back over once they're killed. Since they're the spirits of Arcadia made flesh, they simply return to Arcadia and are sent back out again at a later point.

I don't think imprisonment was ever concieved as an option for Huntsmen, but then again, they tend to be difficult to capture, much less imprison. Fae in general are difficult to hold against their will outside of the Hedge.

Also, I noted elsewhere that while the book notes "a significant number of Changelings take the token", this doesn't mean MOST or even half of them. A significant number just means that it's a number high enough to be significant, and in this context it probably means simply being more than what you'd want for the Changeling population. If a quarter of your apples become bruised before you can sell them, that's a significant amount because those ones aren't viable for being sold, but it doesn't mean the shipment is not going to get you back money. Likewise, if a fifth of the population of a city is homophobic, that's a significant number of people for an archaic and detrimental line of thought and badly reflects on the city, even if the remaining eighty percent is perfectly accepting.

Comment

A) Get Captured
        B) Sell Out
        C) Survive the Time Limit
        D) Unmake the Huntsman
        E) Other Options I can't think of Because I'm just awoken.

I have doubled your list, at the least.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
        Work Blog Coming Soon
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

I'm pretty sure that if you manage to "kill the huntsmen" they would take a fortnight to recover

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
            A) Get Captured
            B) Sell Out
            D) Unmake the Huntsman
            E) Other Options I can't think of Because I'm just awoken.

There is no Time Limit. A Hunstman cannot be free from his Keeper´s service until he brings back the runaway changeling, or a token of reprieve.

Comment

Originally posted by Raistlin View Post

There is no Time Limit. A Hunstman cannot be free from his Keeper´s service until he brings back the runaway changeling, or a token of reprieve.
              Did not Huntsman need to be called in first place by a Keeper? This would mean that you need to piss your once Keeper in the first place - things I would think start at the Wyrd 3 at very least, maybe at Wyrd 5 for the changeling. Most of the time, fresh running changelings are too low fish to fry.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
              My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

I thought they formed sort of 'naturally' in response to the changeling's escape. It might be a True Fae wanting them back but it didn't sound like a knowing summoning is necessary.

Comment

i'm pretty sure they are created specifically by True Fae. You might be confusing them with the Huntsmen archetype mentioned in 1e. That was a type of True Fae that was more primal, engaging in the Wild Hunt and disdaining the rigid rules of Gentry interactions

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Did not Huntsman need to be called in first place by a Keeper? This would mean that you need to piss your once Keeper in the first place - things I would think start at the Wyrd 3 at very least, maybe at Wyrd 5 for the changeling. Most of the time, fresh running changelings are too low fish to fry.

I'm pretty sure whatever you pulled to escape, or just the very act of escape to some, is enough to piss most of them off. If they aren't pissed, you should be wondering what they plan to do with you that requires you to "escape".

Comment

B) Sell Out
                      D) Unmake the Huntsman

B) Isn't that more of a temporary reprieve?
                      C) There's a time limit?
                      D) Don't they reform from that?

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

B) Isn't that more of a temporary reprieve?
                        C) There's a time limit?
                        D) Don't they reform from that?
                        B) Not if you keep doing it.
                        C) Last I checked, yes.
                        D) Killing lets them reform. Unmaking does not. Some things cut both ways.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

Also, Huntsman are often explicitly summoned by the True Fae, usually when most of their other resources fail. Often, the only resource beyond the Huntsman for capturing someone is the True Fae themselves.

They are not naturally formed.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

C) Last I checked, yes.
                            I don't believe that's the case any more.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
                            WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades
                            The Trinity Continuum | Æon

Comment

Could you explain this time limit thing? Is it waiting for them to run out of Yearning?

Comment

Working...
                              X