Advantages of Dreamwalking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantages of Dreamwalking

It occurred to me that a Changeling who takes damage over time for a limited time, benifits from dreaming, because the Changeling can take that damage on they're dream health track instead of their physical health track.

Example a poison is dealing 1 lethal damage an hour, the Changeling dreams and instead of dying from the damage, its dealt to its dream health, which gets its wyrd as bonus dream health, leaving it's physical health track safe.

Also it occurred to me that a 10 wyrd Changeling that Embraces the Wyrd while dreaming walking is one scary buttered, 10 to all derived traits from dreamwalking including health, an extra 10 to speed, dream health and physical health, can use an enviromental attack of up to 35 + Manipulation + empathy dice, can use the bonus dice to booster the dream making it easy to get the too solid flesh tilt, which makes killing someone via dream easy for the changeling.

Something else just occurred to me, if a Changeling is chained by a Huntsmen or Cold Iron, that Changeling can't sleep properly, because they are trapped Ironside and can't dream while they sleep.

Comment

I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that Changelings have a track of "dream health?" Changelings enter dreams physically, getting +Wyrd to their physical health. Are you thinking of 1e, or maybe Beasts?

Likewise, no idea where you got the idea that cold iron chains prevent a Changeling from sleeping and vanishing through the Gate of Horn? I mean, the pain of touching cold iron would be detrimental to sleep, but you seem to be suggesting that the cold iron chains would force them to choose the Gate of Ivory and I can't find anything to suggest that.

Comment

"Fae creatures and native beings of the dream are present physically. As physical beings within the dream they have access to all normal attributes, and Wyrd is added to all derived attributes including defense, health, and initiative. As fae beings, Changelings also use normal attributes within dreams. Their unique blend of soul and glamour gives them access to Dream Health in addition to their physical health while in the dream."

That was from the latest update to the Dream walking rules.

Comment

Ah. I had not noticed that change. Still, if they have access to both health tracks, I think the poison would keep affecting their physical health. it doesn't suddenly become something done to them by the dream. It's something they brought in with them, coursing through their veins. Probably a Storyteller call, though.

Edit: I just noticed "The changeling may choose whether to accept the damage of an attack physically, spiritually, or even split it between the two." I think with that rule, you could probably let the poison damage your Dream Health, but it's possible that line only applies to dream attacks. Poison's a weird case, honestly.
          Last edited by Intrepid Vector; 01-29-2017, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Intrepid Vector View Post
            Likewise, no idea where you got the idea that cold iron chains prevent a Changeling from sleeping and vanishing through the Gate of Horn? I mean, the pain of touching cold iron would be detrimental to sleep, but you seem to be suggesting that the cold iron chains would force them to choose the Gate of Ivory and I can't find anything to suggest that.
            Sleeping causes you to vanish, then reappear. This is equivalent to escaping out of iron chains (since they'd just fall away without something to hold on to). STs should aways err on the side of iron holding the changeling captive or otherwise prevent the Lost's fae nature from manifesting. I'm absolutely on the side of the changeling not being able to fade out of chains holding him down. Doesn't even need to be cold iron, just regular iron.

Granted, if a changling is in a cage, vanishing and reappearing in the cage sounds about right for sleeping. Even if the cage is mobile. But if we're talking bindings on the person? No getting out of that.
            Last edited by MCN; 01-29-2017, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd agree with that, but that's just me perceiving a difference between "Iron should always be immune to fae magic" (agreed) and "Iron should always be able to contain a changeling" (which is not something the material says, despite saying you can't use the "spend Glamour to auto-escape" power on iron bindings).

Like, am I splitting hairs there, to say the sleep thing is magic affecting the changeling and not the iron chains? I'm divided on it, but lean towards changelings still being able to sleep-vanish.

Comment

Originally posted by Intrepid Vector View Post
                I'm not sure I'd agree with that
                That's fine, but you have to admit that not allowing a changeling to escape is as valid reading of the material as the one you have.

You said that you had no idea where it came from, so now you know. No one is forcing you to accept this interpretation, merely explaining it.

Comment

I would personally go with the interpretation that changelings reappear in the situation they were in when they fell asleep. If chains were holding then, they're still chained. The chains might slump to the floor but it's magically disappearing and reappearing. Though if someone came in and removed the chains from the cell, then they wouldn't be bound of course. If someone brought a different set of chains in, they wouldn't be bound. But the changeling is connected to the place and circumstances they originally feel asleep in, and return to them. (Barring contract use)

Iron chains... Well, I would probably have them from prevent a changeling from vanishing (and thus dreaming) entirely.

Comment

Actually if the chains are say brass, falling asleep and having the chains fall off is valid, Changelings are slippery.

But iron blocks Changeling magic, and that includes disappearing every time they dream.

Comment

Well if that's the case, one escape artist performance magician please! I feel like there could be a merit to fall asleep quickly...

On the other hand... A changeling (presumably?) brings their clothes with them into the Dream. Maybe they just bring handcuffs and chains that are attached too.

Comment

Working...
                      X