Games within Games: Arcadia Realms based on other RPGs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Games within Games: Arcadia Realms based on other RPGs

So your group can't decide which RPG to play, it dawned on me that if you picked Changeling you don't have to choose.

My idea is this, some True Fae are huge fans of various RPGs and game setting, so there is a region of Arcadia where the laws of the various True Far domains are based on that True Fae's favourite RPG or CRPG.

So you build a regular Changeling that plays by CoD rules, but when that Changeling enters one of these special Arcadian Realms, the rules change and for the duration of your stay you play by that RPGs rules and use it's game mechanics.

Enter a Arcadian Realm based on a Star Trek RPG, use that RPG's setting and game mechanics while your there, when you leave, revert to CoD mechanics.

Decide to visit an Arcadian Realm based on the DnD 5e multiverse use those rules, then leave it, revert to CoD rules until the next Arcadian Realm, which might be Pathfinder, and after that maybe an Arcadian Realm based on Scion and, after that a Arcadian Realm based on Pugmire.

Each RPG Arcadian Realm actually forces your CoD character to roll up a character using that game system before you can enter, and upon entering you are transformed into that Character for the duration of their stay in that realm.

Any thoughts on this idea?

kinda complicated. could get frustrating

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

To keep it simple think of it as a bunch of separate games connected by Changeling: The Lost metaplot.

Comment

So, the changelings are all sharing a Durance? Or maybe they suck at avoiding capture, and are getting recaptured over and over again, only to escape again every time once they "clear" a game and reach its ending?

Hmm, if the latter, then maybe the Keeper in quesion is one of those "Not outright malevolent or abusive, and maybe actually trying to help the 'lil guys in its own terms, but its actions are still traumatic to mortals" type of Gentry. The Keeper may be thinking it's just playing with its changelings, or training them up to become the best gamers in the world. Too bad that it doesn't quite grasp the concept of "Games are only fun when they're not real".

Comment

the metaplot isn't complicated. I meant that learning and working with all those different rules systems would be complicated

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
            So, the changelings are all sharing a Durance? Or maybe they suck at avoiding capture, and are getting recaptured over and over again, only to escape again every time once they "clear" a game and reach its ending?

Hmm, if the latter, then maybe the Keeper in quesion is one of those "Not outright malevolent or abusive, and maybe actually trying to help the 'lil guys in its own terms, but its actions are still traumatic to mortals" type of Gentry. The Keeper may be thinking it's just playing with its changelings, or training them up to become the best gamers in the world. Too bad that it doesn't quite grasp the concept of "Games are only fun when they're not real".
            Actually it's more a Feud of Gentry and I thinking maybe the Changeling go back on purpose because the Freud has offer a deal, beat all the Gentry of the Feud at their respective games, and the Gentry can't hunt your motley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
              the metaplot isn't complicated. I meant that learning and working with all those different rules systems would be complicated
              That why you only do the ones your already interested in playing, I mean you can scale this idea as well, more or less game systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

That why you only do the ones your already interested in playing, I mean you can scale this idea as well, more or less game systems.
                You could also go diceless for the game, so that mechanics are no longer as much of an issue. That's what I did for my reality-hopping game.

Currently working on: [REDACTED]

Comment

Working...
                X