Playing a Charlatan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing a Charlatan

I remember this as a fake rumor about the second edition before it was officially announced, that it would add amnesiac Charlatans as a new template or type of Lost for player characters. Obviously this wound up being complete and utter bullshit, but the fact remains that there's something of a cool idea hiding in there, so I figured I'd open this up to the forums: is this an idea you'd want to see developed? How would you go about doing it?

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Considering charlatans had the basically the exact same rules as changelings except their virtue and vice were swapped, they don't really need rules. You can just swap their virtue and vice.

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
      Considering charlatans had the basically the exact same rules as changelings except their virtue and vice were swapped, they don't really need rules. You can just swap their virtue and vice.
      Presumably they could have more rules than that; that's more of a stopgap measure than anything full and satisfying.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
        Presumably they could have more rules than that; that's more of a stopgap measure than anything full and satisfying.
        So you want playable charlatans which use completely different rules to charlatans, because the current rules are too easy to get what you want....

Comment

Hmm. They'd have no seeming since they didn't Escape from a Durance. Or maybe...

New Seeming: Charlatan
          "Why hello, my dear friend? Wouldn't you help out a kindred soul?"
          The Charlatan is in many ways, a pretender. It is a child, playing make-believe with heroes from his favorite show. It is an actor in the zone, immersed in her role and character. It is the murderer who has forgotten the blood of his wife on his hands. It is the crown princess spirited away from birth and oblivious to her heritage. Never mistake the mask for the mien, but who can tell what is the true mien amidst a thousand masks?
          Appearance: You will know a Charlatan by an air of unbelonging around them. You will know a Charlatan by how it moves seemingly in disregard of its surroundings. You will know a Charlatan by the frustration it shows when the world is not like what it sees. To changeling eyes, however, all of the above are simply the signs of a newly escaped changeling, still trying to live a life. It is nigh impossible to identify a Charlatan walking in the mortal world, for all stories require the reader to follow through until the ending is revealed. However, for the most keen minds, there is one tell-tale mark of a Charlatan - an obsession with names and titles given by others. Once named or titled, a Charlatan develops a love towards it unlike any other, and seeks to fulfill what is expected of that identity, but under fairy tale symbolism that only the children of the Wyrd could understand.
          Background: As former Gentry, it is nigh impossible to pin down what its "life" was like. Whatever it was, it is unlikely to be something that changelings, half-fae but still half-mortal, can comprehend clearly. Some of the elder changelings, hobgoblins, and the occasional Huntsmen whisper of a Game of Immortals, a never-ending feud where all of the Others revel in their most terrible dreams and beautiful nightmares.
          The Exile: Charlatans come about when a Stranger is cast out into the mortal world for reasons unknown. Some wonder if they had come to sympathize with humanity, with the resulting resonance yanking them out of their lofty domains and chucking them into the world of iron. This is however, no more than a writer or reader of a book imagining themselves to be inside the world with it. Others note the so-called Game of Immortals, and ponder if Charlatans come to relieve themselves of it even for a brief moment.
          Character Creation: Charlatans behave as if they are players writing out their characters out in a game. They have little concern for what makes sense or is needed, and fixate themselves on what interests them the most at the moment. However, their whimsical natures eventually bleed out, abrubtly becoming bored of one topic and find themselves another source of stimulation. Often, this results in a hodge-podge of talents and an eclectic life experience.
          Blessing: They Who Live In Their Names. A Charlatan cares great deal about names and titles assigned to them by the people around them. They regain a dot of Clarity whenever they get someone else to speak its name to reaffirm its significance in front of themselves. Second-person pronouns and casual dialogue will not do, and only statements or emotional investment or authority work. Additionally, a Charlatan can turn this power of name back at others. By spending a point of Glamour and naming someone with a title, the Charlatan levies a modified form of a Sealing where the target's "promise" is to act according to that name. The consequences of breaking this Sealing apply as if it were strengthened, without additional cost. By spending a point of Willpower as well, the Charlatan can hide the Sealing from even other creatures of the Wyrd, safe for the True Fae, so that they cannot dispel it.
          Curse: Return to Wonderland. A Charlatan's facade cannot last forever, for its Fae nature eventually bleed out. They suffer a breaking point whenever they are damaged by iron or suffer from a frailty. Also, they suffer from Glamour Addiction even at lower Wyrd dots than normal. Once a Charlatan drops to zero Clarity, they return to Arcadia and once again become True Fae.
          Concepts
          The May Queen lives up to her name, exuding purity and youth with every smile and every turn. Even the local Spring courtiers are jealous, and rumors say that she may be the next monarch of the Spring Court. Thing is, people rarely get to see her outside spring, and no one seems to know just exactly how she spends the rest of the year.
          He is called the Barman by everyone who visits his bar. The beard, the hairstyle, the attire, and even his voice just seem to paint the word all over him. He doesn't seem to mind, and in fact makes up nicknames for his regulars, which in hindsight always end up being insightful glimpses to their natures.
          The Old One is a crone living in the mountains. Or is she a he? People cannot tell, since the Old One rarely shows their face to others. Those that do visit them occasionally do so for the unmatched knowledge and insight to all things of the Wyrd. Many assume they must be an old and powerful changeling, or perhaps an elder hob, but some have their doubts.

Okay, that was way harder than any thing I've wrote lately. And now that I've wrote it all, I wonder how similar these guys are to the Grimms, who I've been told tht they also live a story. (Haven't got to that part of the book yet)

Disclaimer: I know nothing about how the True Fae were originally designed in 1E. I only know the freebie bits I scavenged around, so I just shot in the dark and made the whole thing up.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

Disclaimer: I know nothing about how the True Fae were originally designed in 1E. I only know the freebie bits I scavenged around, so I just shot in the dark and made the whole thing up.
            You got it right. I sugget that a charlatan could have a shaodow self. Even with high clarity they can always ask for things, things that could lead they back home

Comment

21C Hermit I adore those rules, and may well use them if nothing official comes along and I find myself playing Changeling. Great stuff!

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Working...
              X