Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Saw that this is one of the few boards that didn't have one of these. And since Changeling is only rivaled by Mage in the "you will encounter loopholes, fringe circumstances and weirdness" category, I'm thinking it could definitely use one of these.

I'll probably be asking more questions than I ever get the knowledge to answer, personally, but there are a lot of smart, informed people on this board who can contribute, like ArcaneArts , Charlaquin, White Oak Dragon, etc.

So, to start off the board, here's my first question.

A mortal in the Hedge is in a bad way, but what happens to them if a Changeling with a Mien that is easily hideable even when exposed follows them through a hedge gate right into their Hollow? Depending on the Hollow, could they not even realize they're somewhere magical? Or does the Hedge call to them still?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

I would say that it would be possible, but unlikely, unless of course it is important to the story. I'd say that regardless of what the changeling and Hollow looked like, the poor mortal would feel strange. No matter how normal it looked, something just wouldn't seem right. Everything would seem off, and while the mortal might be able to rationalize some of it away, deep down they'd know that their world no longer made sense.

And thank you for the compliment.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
    Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Welp, guess my secret Hedge dance club isn't going to be very popular. Hard to get that Desire Glamour flowing if everyone's distracted like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
        Welp, guess my secret Hedge dance club isn't going to be very popular. Hard to get that Desire Glamour flowing if everyone's distracted like that.
        Well in that case what you would want to do is open a club in Ironside which housed Doors to a communal Hollow, and make the Hollow the VIP section.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

How about this one? I'm fairly sure the answer is no, but can you use Shatter the Mask in Hedge-side? What about if you Shatter, then walk into the Hedge - do you lose the benefits when you cross the barrier, or do they remain? Does the beacon effect from Shattering the Mask cross over into the Hedge from Ironside? You are opening all the doors into the Hedge, after all.

Comment

And here's a second question - lots of people have been saying that pledges have been ruined, they're weak, etc. But then, I look at Goblin Vows and see all the merit-granting and abilities right there, the stuff that used to be in the old pledges.

So, here's my question. Can we tie others into a Goblin Vow through use of Bargains? This would allow us to have the old deal-with-the-devil type of pledges we had before, making bargains for wealth or beauty, with the changeling as a middlewoman.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
              And here's a second question - lots of people have been saying that pledges have been ruined, they're weak, etc. But then, I look at Goblin Vows and see all the merit-granting and abilities right there, the stuff that used to be in the old pledges.

So, here's my question. Can we tie others into a Goblin Vow through use of Bargains? This would allow us to have the old deal-with-the-devil type of pledges we had before, making bargains for wealth or beauty, with the changeling as a middlewoman.
              I believe we can already do that. Bargains involve the changeling doing something for the human, right? The changeling can just use Goblin Vows and Contracts to give the human those things. No need for extra mechanics.

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                I believe we can already do that. Bargains involve the changeling doing something for the human, right? The changeling can just use Goblin Vows and Contracts to give the human those things. No need for extra mechanics.
                Where does it say you can do that, though? I don't see it. I'm not asking for extra mechanics, I'm asking where it says its possible.
                Last edited by MCN; 02-18-2017, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MCN View Post
                  Where does it say you can do that, though? I don't see it. I'm not asking for extra mechanics, I'm asking where it says its possible.
                  In order to make a bargain with a person, the changeling has to reveal her true nature. She

doesn’t have to be honest with the mortal about the particulars of her situation, but she

has to appear to the person without her Mask and propose the terms of the agreement.

She can promise anything she wants to the person, but in order to gain the benefits of the

bargain, she has to be capable of making good on her promise. Changelings should

therefore take care to bargain for services they have the Skills or Contracts to provide,
                  From the open development on Pledges. If a changeling can use both mundane abilities (Skills) or magic (Contracts) to provide for his end of the Bargain, then why not Merits like Goblin Vows?

Comment

Can Huntsmen, Hobs and Gentry see through the Mask when they're on Ironside? And on a related note, can the Mien be seen in photos and videos? How about in paintings? If a mortal artist paints a Changeling, would mortals see the Mask and Changelings see the Mien?

Comment

Can Huntsmen, Hobs and Gentry see through the Mask when they're on Ironside? And on a related note, can the Mien be seen in photos and videos? How about in paintings? If a mortal artist paints a Changeling, would mortals see the Mask and Changelings see the Mien?
                      A changeling's shadow reveals his Mien, unless he strengthens his Mask. Changelings see through each others' Masks unless strengthened. Everybody can see through the Mask in the Hedge. Mortals won't see a changeling's Mien, unless the changeling decides to take off the Mask in front of them, or the human catches a glimpse of the changeling in the Hedge, or the human somehow figures out that the girl over there casts a shadow that looks like a huge songbird or something.

While the whole 2e mechanics aren't revealed yet, I suspect that Huntsmen and Gentry will be able to see through the Masks of changelings belonging to freeholds whose Bulwark has fallen. No idea on hobs, though.

Comment

But only if the Bulwark has fallen?

And I thought the shadow thing only happened -when- you strengthened the Mask

Comment

But only if the Bulwark has fallen?

And I thought the shadow thing only happened -when- you strengthened the Mask
                          I was under that impression as well: Strengthening the Mask hides you from fae beings, but it has the drawback of potentially alerting mortals to your weirdness via your shadow.

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                            From the open development on Pledges. If a changeling can use both mundane abilities (Skills) or magic (Contracts) to provide for his end of the Bargain, then why not Merits like Goblin Vows?
                            So, by your reasoning, I can give someone access to a Contract I have already?

Comment

Is it possible to grant the ability of ... true sight (the ability to see the fae mien) to another supernatural in some way? 1e says they can't take the oath or whatever, but I'm wondering if it might be possible to craft a magical item, or something else.

Graphic Inspirational Photos for Chronicles of Darkness on Pinterest
                              Chronicles of Darkness Slack (PM Me with Email for an Invite, then invite your friends)

Comment

Working...
                              X