Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    Is this a new thing in 2e, or was I misinterpreting 1e?
    It's in the first paragraph of "Affecting the Mask" on 1e Core p172 as well.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• New Question:

Since a Changeling's soul is partially shredded by the Thorns and "filled in" with the stuff of Glamour during her transformation, what happens to the Changeling if she:

1. Has her soul removed (soul loss) through some supernatural power (i.e. from a Horror, say); and then
      2. Has a replacement soul not her original found and inserted to stave off Willpower degradation?

In other words, how important is the actual soul to the Changeling, after they've passed through their Durance and received a Mask and Mien?

--Khanwulf

Comment

• Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
        Bonus question, then: since dream bastions are in the Hedge, does that mean that when the Changeling appears in a dream she manifests without her Mask?
        Your Dream Form lacks a Mask, yes.

I presume that dream-shaping abilities would enable her to cover up, so to speak, but does she have no automatic concealment? Is it any different if she appears in the dreams of another supernatural creature?

--Khanwulf
        There is no automatic concealment, no.

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
        New Question:

Since a Changeling's soul is partially shredded by the Thorns and "filled in" with the stuff of Glamour during her transformation, what happens to the Changeling if she:

1. Has her soul removed (soul loss) through some supernatural power (i.e. from a Horror, say); and then
        2. Has a replacement soul not her original found and inserted to stave off Willpower degradation?

In other words, how important is the actual soul to the Changeling, after they've passed through their Durance and received a Mask and Mien?

--Khanwulf
        You're describing a situation that is pretty far from simple, given the assumptions it relies upon. As a comparable translation, though, probably the changeling would gradually lose the ability to recover Willpower through their Needle and treat recovering Willpower through their Thread as a breaking point with a hefty bonus to the Clarity attack roll until they'd marked every box with severe damage but one, at which point they'd start losing Willpower dots. Maybe they'd de-integrate any Icons they had along with the Willpower dots?

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
          Your Dream Form lacks a Mask, yes.

There is no automatic concealment, no.

You're describing a situation that is pretty far from simple, given the assumptions it relies upon. As a comparable translation, though, probably the changeling would gradually lose the ability to recover Willpower through their Needle and treat recovering Willpower through their Thread as a breaking point with a hefty bonus to the Clarity attack roll until they'd marked every box with severe damage but one, at which point they'd start losing Willpower dots. Maybe they'd de-integrate any Icons they had along with the Willpower dots?

Lol ok. I was keying onto the common CofD mechanics for Soul Loss, which usually treat souls as interchangeable--but all right. My assumption is that those mechanics would apply while sans-soul, but after? I don't know. Depends on how important it is to the Changeling's condition and "magic" that their soul be cobbled together?

Thanks on all points.

--Khanwulf

Comment

• Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post

Lol ok. I was keying onto the common CofD mechanics for Soul Loss, which usually treat souls as interchangeable--but all right.
            The vast majority of historical material has generally treated the souls of supernatural creatures as more difficult if not outright impossible to affect with the same magic as used for mortal humans. Step 2 of the process you're talking about relies on the uncertain notion that Step 1 is even possible for changelings in the same way as it is for mortals.

My assumption is that those mechanics would apply while sans-soul, but after? I don't know. Depends on how important it is to the Changeling's condition and "magic" that their soul be cobbled together?
            The thing that the most dangerous parts of the Hedge shred off is not interchangeable on a one-to-one level with the occult facet of being that keeps human Integrity and Willpower stable. Finding a thing that undoes whatever replicates the effects of soul loss on a changeling without giving them back the exact thing they lost would probably undo the effects of soul loss, but "changelings can suffer soul loss and fix it with other people's souls and this isn't a specifically-built plot device" is firmly in the realm of figure-it-out-for-your-table at the time of this writing.

Comment

• I'd guess its the same as for a mage. Gnosis/Wyrd recovers slowly as the Supernal/Wyrd changes the Sleeper soul back into an Awakened/Changeling soul.

Comment

• Okay simple question that eludes me. If two changelings eat the same goblin fruit at the same time, who gets the glamour? Or do both get the glamour?

Comment

• Originally posted by Blakemikizuki View Post
                  Okay simple question that eludes me. If two changelings eat the same goblin fruit at the same time, who gets the glamour? Or do both get the glamour?
                  Flip a coin or assume a character needs to eat most if not all of the fruit in question to get its benefits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post

Holy crap I am so lost now. What is this Needle and Thread, and why do we suddenly have a Clarity attack roll? And now there's damage to clarity instead of levels of clarity? Where and when was this introduced? I think I may need to wait for the book to come out before browsing this forum again. So many new mechanics. I did see a mention of a 'Thread' in the Hedgespinning thing that was posted a while back but it didn't exactly say what it was. I also don't know what this Icon is.

Found something else to ask, too. Just on the last page was 'The Mask carries even through supernatural transformations to other physical forms--especially those triggered by Contracts, but also (keeping in theme) other splat powers.' Does that mean my Mirrorskin can't disguise their mask, can only disguise their mask, or do the disguises work on both?
                    Last edited by silvermistshadow; 04-24-2018, 03:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by silvermistshadow View Post
                      Holy crap I am so lost now. What is this Needle and Thread, and why do we suddenly have a Clarity attack roll? And now there's damage to clarity instead of levels of clarity? Where and when was this introduced? I think I may need to wait for the book to come out before browsing this forum again. So many new mechanics. I did see a mention of a 'Thread' in the Hedgespinning thing that was posted a while back but it didn't exactly say what it was. I also don't know what this Icon is.

Found something else to ask, too. Just on the last page was 'The Mask carries even through supernatural transformations to other physical forms--especially those triggered by Contracts, but also (keeping in theme) other splat powers.' Does that mean my Mirrorskin can't disguise their mask, can only disguise their mask, or do the disguises work on both?
                      It's described in the previews sent out to backers of the kickstarter. Due to reasons much (most? all?) of the work on the book was redone. Hence why the open previews you've probably seen aren't relevant anymore.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

David Hill, who developed and oversaw the various preview chapters and open development, chose to withdraw his development work for various reasons. Changeling 2e was then co-developed by Rose Bailey and Meghan Fitzgerald, and the manuscript of this different Changeling 2e was made available to backers of the Changeling 2e Kickstarter.

Clarity works differently now and resembles a Health track. Needle and Thread are the new edition's Anchors, rather than Virtue and Vice or Mask and Mien.

Comment

Lots to go over but here's the skinny (in brief):

1. Needle & Thread: They are the replacement to Virtue/Vice. They work (kinda) similarly to Vampire's equivalents. We can go into specifics but suffice to say they're just the words that define behaviours that can get the character willpower back.

2. Clarity has been reworked into a health track rather than a strict morality equivalent. I mean really that says it all, certain things can damage clarity in the same way that they used to cause "Breaking Points". But now clarity can go down and up depending on actions and can be healed. Calling it a health track, I feel, says it all. Certain things can cause damage to it.

3. This is all in the preview (plus a few other places beforehand) from the Kickstarter. At some point, the development changed due to a dev changeup.

4. You don't have to honestly I think most of us are willing to give you the skinny on the changes in aggregate and answer what questions we can w/o further dev input.

5. An Icon is basically the piece of your Shadow (your soul) that got ripped off you when you traveled through the hedge on your way to Arcadia the first time (and/or on your way back). Essentially it's just a thing with a piece of your soul in it that you can reabsorb for Clarity and other benefits. It's the kind of thing to put on the goals for your character and other related story hooks.

6. Someone else may have to answer your Mirror skin question. But to my knowledge, you can still change your Mien...but the mask will still apply (it may change with the Mien but it still hides the supernatural features.)

EDITE: Just ask questions if you see an unfamiliar term

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

• (cross-posted from Beast simple Q&A thread)

...possibly a dumb question but:

So if through happenstance a Beast gets kidnapped by the Gentry and they attempt to turn them into a changeling...nothing happens, due to their soul being so irreversibly altered that they can't be fae'd, right?

Comment

• Ain't no official answer to that I know of. Whatever it is, it's probably not just "stack the changeling template onto the Beast template," but "something weird and unfamiliar happens" is a pretty valid development, whether transformative or not.

Comment

• silvermistshadow Mirrorskin in 2e explicitly changes both Mask and Mien, so those who attempt to see past the Mask only see another disguise. Powers that would pierce the deception evoke a clash of wills.

Edit: here's a question I forgot to post earlier, and didn't want to double post. What is the benefit of a Fae Mount scouring their Mask (if they have Actormask that is)? The only one I can think of is if they use it to frighten someone with their otherworldly appearance.
                                Last edited by Taidragon; 04-24-2018, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X