No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright, good to know. By the time I saw the Kickstarter, it was beyond too late. I'll just pre order it when I can. At least that way I'll get it when it does come out.

Comment

• So, like which kind of Fae is actually most likely to be the one who personally kidnapped a Changeling that didn't just wander into the Hedge as a human and get captured there? In both editions. Do True Fae now use Huntsmen to do this in 2e? Ive been seeing that used in a few places. Or is it just so varied that there's no clear answer?

Also, how do you run those True Fae with Titles that manifest as groups (I think the official term is Ensemble Title)? Brief Nightmares? Less Simplified stat blocks? Do they lose Attributes if they're not all interacting at once? Or are their numbers more of an in-universe narrative abstraction like "we are legion" or "A small forest council"?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• So, Primal Glory vs. weapons. Does "immune to damage from the element" apply (e.g.- wood armor vs. wooden club, metal armor vs. knives and bullets) or just the 1/1 armor?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
          So, Primal Glory vs. weapons. Does "immune to damage from the element" apply (e.g.- wood armor vs. wooden club, metal armor vs. knives and bullets) or just the 1/1 armor?
          The equivalent didn't in 1e and I can't see much reason for the context of the new use-method to change that.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Is there a benefit to a Fae Mount scouring their Mask when they have Actormask? As far as I know they don't have contracts, which is what scouring the Mask usually benefits in practically every way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
              Is there a benefit to a Fae Mount scouring their Mask when they have Actormask? As far as I know they don't have contracts, which is what scouring the Mask usually benefits in practically every way.
              The character can scour away or reinforce their Mount's Mask as well as their own, which is mostly a matter of aesthetics but does maybe serve to help steer the outcome of mortal onlookers getting Spooked.

Comment

• So. Through Dream Antagonist (at least in previous versions of 2nd ed.) a Changeling can instill a supernatural merit into their victim, right?

We know this could create wolf-blooded, because they have a Merit that determines whether they are one or not, very effectively. (Merit: Tell)

What about other minor splats? I'm thinking especially Proximi, but Fae-touched? Dhampyr?

--Khanwulf

Comment

• The rules might not say it, but I would rule that granting minor splats, maybe even certain merit templates too tied to other gamelines, should be out of the Fae wheelhouse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
                    So. Through Dream Antagonist (at least in previous versions of 2nd ed.) a Changeling can instill a supernatural merit into their victim, right?
                    Single dots for the length of a story and it requires you to do the narrative legwork in the dream and the subject to actually qualify for the Merit. This is very much not a "make anyone into anything" option.

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                      Single dots for the length of a story and it requires you to do the narrative legwork in the dream and the subject to actually qualify for the Merit. This is very much not a "make anyone into anything" option.
                      Oh good! Thanks! Because the abuse-train looked a couple miles long on this one....

--Khanwulf

PS. Also thanks Master Aquatosic. The underlying jab is the idea of whether or not the Fae influence (even through Changelings) is so potent that it can rewrite [mortals?] into unrelated supernatural denizens via dreams. That seemed a stretch, but yaknow, not all splats have equal influence in the World....

Comment

• Regarding the entry of a Bastion, the manuscript says this "A Bastion always allows an oneiropomp inside if she has an active invitation, which takes the
                        form of a pledge (p. XX)."

However, there doesn't seem to be any mention of that mechanic in the Pledges section. Did I miss something, or has it been clarified since then?

Comment

• Originally posted by BetterWorldz View Post
                          Regarding the entry of a Bastion, the manuscript says this "A Bastion always allows an oneiropomp inside if she has an active invitation, which takes the
                          form of a pledge (p. XX)."

However, there doesn't seem to be any mention of that mechanic in the Pledges section. Did I miss something, or has it been clarified since then?
                          You're allowed in if you have a pledge whose terms allow you in. That's the entirety of the mechanic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                            You're allowed in if you have a pledge whose terms allow you in. That's the entirety of the mechanic.
                            Thanks. So with a human that'd have to be either as part of a bargain or sealing some kind of statement along the lines of 'I promise you'll be welcome in my dreams' ? Maybe I'm overthinking this but it seems so far removed from the other 2e pledge mechanics.

Comment

• Hoi!

I have three questions, more academic and less about mechanics, so both 1e/2e answers are fine
                              (if they are not simple enough I happily move them to a thread)

1. Clarity and Breaking Points
                              In 1e the rules say that a Lost, reaching a BP by acting in a way that threatens her Clarity endangering the delicate balance between her Mortal and Fae sides.
                              That's nice and breezy, but the Breaking Points are really messed up in the text, without proper balance mixing up holier-than-thou moralizing with understandable border lines.

If you strictly adhere to the rules 7-to-2 downfall is probably a month after escaping.

10-9-8 is fine and dandy; 7 is the base, what you can easily loose w/o ID and money (even fare dodging is a form of petty theft after all) and don't forget that the escaping alone is a "serious unexpected life change", seeing a mirror at the first time counts as well; after a PTSD I bet that you can easily go without human contact while try to realize WTF is happening with you, so that's a 6; 5 is fine, obviously; 4 is common if you have a Fetch, more common if you get rid of it; 3 is baffling because Dreamwalking and plundering is supposed to be the THING to the escapee from Nightmareland; 2 is another interesting one, "serial murder" is pretty straightforward but I still don't know after all these years what "Casual / callous crime" means. If my Mortal/Fae balance is on the stake, why should I bother with casual crimes against "subhumans/abmortals/things"? and finally the 1 one: "perversion" oh, please someone define it - one mans's perversion is the other man's mere pleasure (or in this case the "doing it with one feather is kinky / with a whole chicken is perversion" rule plays?)

Question: In a dangerous environment almost everyone should be counted as Clarity 4 at most or precise conditioning/brainwashing/training shifts the moral standing points of the BPs?
                              (e.g. trained soldiers, street raised thugs, professional crime syndicate members, conmen, cultist, etc.) / Will it be addressed or changed in 2e?

2. Durance
                              1e states that "Changelings who were taken as infants or very young children, and those who were abducted more than 50 years ago, don’t have a strong enough memory of their homes to find their way through the Thorns." what is a bit shortsighted, I think. A hundred years is more plausible, probably. Since it's 2018 it means that not a single boheme from the roaring 20's, a strong-willed partisan from the WW2 not even a revolutionary student or hippie from the 60's could escape.

Question: What do you think? / Will it be addressed or changed in 2e?

3. Parenting
                              Someone wrote in the other thread that Rose doesn't want to exclude parenting from the 2e (please direct me to the proper thread with the whole explanation, thank you).
                              In one hand it is a nice touch, on the other hand… Look, this is a horror game after all and I like to hurt my Players a bit once in a while, but I don't want to beat them to pulp.
                              Pregnancy is already a heavy burden to a Mortal woman (bless them all!) but a devastating experience to a Changeling in my opinion: my body is changing; something growing inside me; my feelings, cravings and needs are not mine; constant adult fears, paranoia and overprotecting - no matters if the offspring is a Mortal or a Changeling: what does she see and experience; what does she tells to anyone; why doesn't she hold or go to a sleepover; why doesn't she checked in; why doesn't she came home in the proper time, and the list goes on.
                              It's a much more heavier responsibility to bring a child to life, THIS life what is full of dangers than to a Mortal. They just suspecting that danger lurks in every shadows, but you know it exactly.

Question: What do you think? Is it really a good idea? / How exactly will it be addressed or changed in 2e?

Thank you and sorry for the tl;dr
                              Last edited by Insane•kismanO; 05-14-2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• Don't know about the rest, but it's NWoD tradition as I understand it to use utter perversion as a euphemism and collective shorthand for rape, pedophilia, bestiality, maybe cannibalism if its not listed somewhere else, feeding someone their own fingers one by one and even grosser stuff that I can easily imagine but would hesitate to list outside of PM. Basically, it's, it's most sex-related felonies and any non-sexual act that no one but the most jaded, twisted sicko would call evil, or at least gross and excessive.

Comment

Working...
                                X