Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a few questions.

In which order should Clarity damage be healed when resolving Clarity Conditions? Mild or severe first?

What emotions are the Dragon Societies, Tide Courts and Traders' Courts tied to? Page 307 states that all courts are tied to an emotion for the purpose of inciting Bedlam. Does this also extend to the bonus Glamour gained from harvesting that emotion, or is that an advantage only the Seasonal Courts have?

Court Contracts can substitute Goodwill for Mantle for the dice pool. Does this mean dot for dot, or does it refer to the effective Mantle dots that is Goodwill-2?
    Should Goodwill also substitute for Mantle in the Contract effects as well? Otherwise some Contracts will become completely useless because they scale with Mantle.

How does the in-season/out-of-season benefits work?
    A member of an in-season court gains the Royal benefit, but does that benefit extend to all Royal Contracts of his court, all Royal Court Contracts regardless of court, or all Royal Contracts including Royal Arcadian Contracts?
    Similarly, a member of an out-of-season court gains the Common benefit, but does that benefit extend to all Common Contracts of the in-season court, all Common Contracts of her own court, all Common Court Contracts regardless of court, or all Common Contracts including Common Arcadian Contracts?

Should non-cyclical court structures also receive a bonus to Contracts, or is it something about the cyclical structure that inherently empower Contracts?

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
      In which order should Clarity damage be healed when resolving Clarity Conditions? Mild or severe first?
      Presumably mild, because healing generally proceeds from right to left and severe damage specifically overlaps mild damage.

Should non-cyclical court structures also receive a bonus to Contracts, or is it something about the cyclical structure that inherently empower Contracts?
      Even the freehold structure that doesn't have more than one Court makes mention of cyclic power arrangements within that Court, so probably.
      Last edited by Satchel; 08-14-2018, 11:56 PM.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

What emotions are the Dragon Societies, Tide Courts and Traders' Courts tied to? Page 307 states that all courts are tied to an emotion for the purpose of inciting Bedlam. Does this also extend to the bonus Glamour gained from harvesting that emotion, or is that an advantage only the Seasonal Courts have?
        We don't know. Just as with the court contracts, we kind of need to make that up ourselves. However, the means to get an extra glamour from doing a certain action is a pretty good way to extrapolate the emotions involved from the actions, and given how 1e courts all had an emotion involved with them I imagine that 2e ones do too.

Court Contracts can substitute Goodwill for Mantle for the dice pool. Does this mean dot for dot, or does it refer to the effective Mantle dots that is Goodwill-2?
        Should Goodwill also substitute for Mantle in the Contract effects as well? Otherwise some Contracts will become completely useless because they scale with Mantle.
        Yes, where it says Mantle, replace Court Goodwill that you have dot for dot.

How does the in-season/out-of-season benefits work?
        A member of an in-season court gains the Royal benefit, but does that benefit extend to all Royal Contracts of his court, all Royal Court Contracts regardless of court, or all Royal Contracts including Royal Arcadian Contracts?
        I believe that it refers to the court you have Court Goodwill in, not all Royal Court Contracts.

Similarly, a member of an out-of-season court gains the Common benefit, but does that benefit extend to all Common Contracts of the in-season court, all Common Contracts of her own court, all Common Court Contracts regardless of court, or all Common Contracts including Common Arcadian Contracts?
        I believe that refers to the in-season court. Considering the tone of the rest of the paragraph, I think that it only grants a bonus to seasonal contracts too. You're free to interpret this as you wish.

As with their emotions, this looks to be something that Storytellers and players should decide for themselves.

Comment

• How literally should I interpret light-shy's darkling clause of temporary erasure from existence?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
            How literally should I interpret light-shy's darkling clause of temporary erasure from existence?
            The fact that you no longer register as a sensory phenomenon extends from a mental effect to something capable of fooling theoretically objective observers; change the "and" in that sentence out for a semicolon or an em-dash if necessary.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
              I believe that refers to the in-season court. Considering the tone of the rest of the paragraph, I think that it only grants a bonus to seasonal contracts too. You're free to interpret this as you wish.
              Thanks for the answers.
              This one seems a bit weird to me. It makes the out-of-season courtiers better at the in-season court's Common Contracts than members of the actual court. That's why I wondered if the Mantle/Goodwill for rolls might actually refer to the effective Mantle rating rather than straight translation as it says. In that case the Common Contract benefit would instead grant out-of-season courtiers equal footing.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Thanks for the answers.
                This one seems a bit weird to me. It makes the out-of-season courtiers better at the in-season court's Common Contracts than members of the actual court. That's why I wondered if the Mantle/Goodwill for rolls might actually refer to the effective Mantle rating rather than straight translation as it says. In that case the Common Contract benefit would instead grant out-of-season courtiers equal footing.
                I see it as a balancing act - common powers are given a bonus, but those in the court gain an exceptional on 3 successes for royal. Both sides gain something that lets them be effective and incentiveses buying the contracts.

Comment

• No, I get why. Both gets bonuses. It just feels weird that the non-courtier bonus is something that the courtiers don't have any access to.

Comment

• Would a contract like 'shared burden' that heals a target's disease at the expense of the changeling taking on the disease themselves be too much?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                      Would a contract like 'shared burden' that heals a target's disease at the expense of the changeling taking on the disease themselves be too much?

You wouldn't even need a contract "like" Shared Burden, just make it a seeming benefit for whichever seeming makes the most sense to you.

The ability to houserule minor variations on contracts with seeming benefits is one of my favorite parts of the redesign they got for 2e.

Comment

• A Fae Mount cannot leave the Hedge unless it has Actormask (which allows it to enter the mortal world). But, can a Fae Mount enter dreams? What about Arcadia, or other realms beyond the Hedge?

Comment

• Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post

You wouldn't even need a contract "like" Shared Burden, just make it a seeming benefit for whichever seeming makes the most sense to you.

The ability to houserule minor variations on contracts with seeming benefits is one of my favorite parts of the redesign they got for 2e.
                          A seeming benifit could be an interesting direction to take with that and it'd fit the theme still. Should it just be "[Seeming]: Instead of damage you may take on a sickness and heal another suffering that sickness."

Comment

• What determines, in the Doylist sence, your second favored Regalia? Who you were before your Durance, who you were made into during it, or who you became during your escape?

Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tambov View Post
                              What determines, in the Doylist sence, your second favored Regalia? Who you were before your Durance, who you were made into during it, or who you became during your escape?
                              A Changeling’s second favored Regalia, outside of the one that their Seeming forms into, is really more like a talent in my eyes than anything else. Just as two kids in exactly the same living space and teaching methods may both be able to do math extremely well, one might have an increased ability in Gym class, whereas the other would have a greater aptitude for English class. It could also stem from the needs of their Keeper’s realm and of their Keeper in turn, their desires and what magic they might tuck away or be exposed to.

Really, the realms of the Gentry are practically infinite in their difference and complexity, and each one will have different circumstances on why a Fairest may have a favored Regalia in Shield and another would have a favored Regalia in Mirrors, even when they were doing the exact same job.

Comment

• Should the 1e goblin market book still function for 2e?

Comment

Working...
                                X