Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Queer Snake View Post
    And one more questions i should try to create in my first game my own courts or just stick with the Seasonal ones(that are quite fleshed out and very interesting in this edition) ?
    Entirely up to you.

Personally, if this is your first campaign, I'd say there's no shame in using the Seasonal Courts. They're ubiquitous enough to plug in, and all the big work is ready for you right out of the box. And it would give you a feel of a set of Courts already completed so you know what to do when making your own.

However, if you're full to the brim on ideas for your own Courts and you feel you have a good grasp of your concepts and the systems of the game, go for it.

Comment

• Inception questions:

- If a changelling dreams and meditates, he is lucid inside his dreams. If someone else dreams while touching him, his friend also goes to the changeling dream through the ivory gate. Does that invited person has a bastion of his own that he/she can later visit?

- If a changeling is dreaming inside the Hedge, can he get out of his own bastion and meet his real body on his Hollow?

- If a changeling enters another person dream through the horn gate and starts to dream inside someone´s else bastion, will his dreamning self be transported to his own bastion?

Comment

• How do Fetches regain Glamour? I probably missed something but I can't seem to find anything on that in 2e.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pluvinarch View Post
          Does that invited person has a bastion of his own that he/she can later visit?
          No.

- If a changeling is dreaming inside the Hedge, can he get out of his own bastion and meet his real body on his Hollow?
          Yes.

- If a changeling enters another person dream through the horn gate and starts to dream inside someone´s else bastion, will his dreamning self be transported to his own bastion?
          No.

Originally posted by BetterWorldz View Post
          How do Fetches regain Glamour? I probably missed something but I can't seem to find anything on that in 2e.
          It's probably safe to assume that emotion-harvesting and Hedge bounty are fair game, at the bare minimum.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
            It's probably safe to assume that emotion-harvesting and Hedge bounty are fair game, at the bare minimum.
            Fetches however don't get hurt by staying with zero Glamour, do they?

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
              Probably. Although it would be nice to have some confirmation as it's pretty crucial to understanding the creature, at least when it leans more on the supernatural side.

On a different note, how specifically would you rule the pledge to obtain an active invitation into a mortal's Bastion? Sealing? Bargain? Under what terms?

Comment

• This may be a weird question, but in second edition, can Wizened use their Blessing to change a substance into something edible? Use a hammer and anvil to shape metal into gingerbread, or a lathe to turn wood into cheese, or even something like inedible bark into flour using a mortar and pestle?

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
                  This may be a weird question, but in second edition, can Wizened use their Blessing to change a substance into something edible? Use a hammer and anvil to shape metal into gingerbread, or a lathe to turn wood into cheese, or even something like inedible bark into flour using a mortar and pestle?
                  By RAW it's...a bit of a grey area.

The Wizened Blessing is specifically based around the use of the Build Equipment action. And the type of Equipment listed as stuff you could build doesn't really list consumables, unless if you count the first aid kit. Just as is, there isn't any precedent to it, but IMO, there's really nothing holding you back for counting food as Building Equipment...it does kind of stretch things with what's in the text.

That said, the idea of a Wizened as a cook/chef is a good concept and doesn't sound unreasonable. Probably better off making it as some kind of chef-kith.

Comment

• There's nothing stopping you from using the Build Equipment rules to cook food, it's just that in most circumstances food doesn't count as "equipment" because it doesn't grant bonuses to anything. And usually there's no reason to roll dice to cook something. So yeah, you could use the Wizened blessing to turn wood into cheese--it just introduces a roll to something that otherwise wouldn't bother with one (making cheese).

Meghan Fitzgerald | Onyx Path freelance writer & developer
                    Changeling: The Lost 2e developer

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                      By RAW it's...a bit of a grey area.

The Wizened Blessing is specifically based around the use of the Build Equipment action. And the type of Equipment listed as stuff you could build doesn't really list consumables, unless if you count the first aid kit. Just as is, there isn't any precedent to it, but IMO, there's really nothing holding you back for counting food as Building Equipment...it does kind of stretch things with what's in the text.

That said, the idea of a Wizened as a cook/chef is a good concept and doesn't sound unreasonable. Probably better off making it as some kind of chef-kith.
                      While I get where you're coming from, the suggested equipment for the various skills in the Changeling book is pretty liberal in what is considered "equipment", and the items suggested for what a Wizened can make (diamond and straws of gold) aren't exactly what you'd consider "equipment" either. Though some of that equipment does sound like it'd be hard for the average person to build themselves, I don't feel it'd be unreasonable for someone to use a Build Equipment action for those kinds of things.

I'd bring up how Quality Food would be reasonable equipment for a Social action involving a party, but at this point it feels like I'm quibbling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meghan Fitzgerald View Post
                        There's nothing stopping you from using the Build Equipment rules to cook food, it's just that in most circumstances food doesn't count as "equipment" because it doesn't grant bonuses to anything. And usually there's no reason to roll dice to cook something. So yeah, you could use the Wizened blessing to turn wood into cheese--it just introduces a roll to something that otherwise wouldn't bother with one (making cheese).
                        I'd contest that a well put together meal might be a social bonus similar to nice clothes (ninja'd), and that some recipes could require a Skill roll. ☺

Of course, I'm not sure if one would want to explore the Fragile or Volitile tags/Conditions for Jury-Rigging a meal...
                        Last edited by Vent0; 10-03-2018, 09:53 AM. Reason: Ninja'd

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

I'd contest that a well put together meal might be a social bonus similar to nice clothes (ninja'd), and that some recipes could require a Skill roll. ☺

Of course, I'm not sure if one would want to explore the Fragile or Volitile tags/Conditions for Jury-Rigging a meal...
                          Yup. Thus, “most circumstances.” As usual, CofD encourages you to be flexible about the rules when it suits your story and come up with your own ideas. We can’t include literally every possible example in the text.

Meghan Fitzgerald | Onyx Path freelance writer & developer
                          Changeling: The Lost 2e developer

Comment

Working...
                          X