Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    I'd need Equinox Road to get a more solid answer, but by those rules, there's a gradiation of effect that would occur for the child based on time they were in the Hedge and just what had been eaten by the parent in the time they were there.

Arcadia...changes some of those rules based on the rules that govern the Stranger and its' Domain(and Realm, should that apply), but by and large it's the same, just less of each needed.
    Thanks guys! So basically there is no inherent difference to origin, just a matter of associations and contamination--just as with other visitors?

The child would presumably grow up as normally as the Keeper wished, then.

--Khanwulf

Comment

• Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post

Thanks guys! So basically there is no inherent difference to origin, just a matter of associations and contamination--just as with other visitors?

The child would presumably grow up as normally as the Keeper wished, then.

--Khanwulf
      Well, there is a difference, in that while things become mutable in the Hedge, they are hella mutable in Arcadia.

Also, it depends on if a Keeper gets to direct their life or if their presence merely affects it.

The latter is unlikely, but not impossible.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• If a Fire themed Elemental Changeling has taken Lethal Mein and chosen for the lethal damage to come from small jets of flame from his knuckles, would you allow that to count as "touching the element" for the purposes of the Elemental's blessing? Would it count as "purely elemental damage" for the purposes of Elemental Warrior?

Personally I'm tempted to just rule that it does for the former (and will continue to count for the latter) for the same reason Fire Benders in Avatar: the Last Airbender didn't have to be touching fire: it just looks silly for something like fire for the bender to have to grab a torch (or a Zippo).

Also, I've been allowing the player to inflict the "Burning" tilt on the target on an exceptional success and having it deal an additional 1L/turn unless put out by a successful Dex+Athletics - Wyrd roll. Is this a balanced condition or does anyone have a better idea?
        Last edited by proindrakenzol; 11-08-2018, 02:56 AM.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

• Originally posted by proindrakenzol View Post
          If a Fire themed Elemental Changeling has taken Lethal Mein and chosen for the lethal damage to come from small jets of flame from his knuckles, would you allow that to count as "touching the element" for the purposes of the Elemental's blessing?
          I wouldn't––but I'd let him set objects aflame with his knuckles, and then let him use those growing flames he created to use the Elemental blessing. That way, he has easy (but not automatic) access to his blessing, but it takes a little bit of situational awareness and thought ("What's flammable here? Am I willing to risk collateral damage?").

Would it count as "purely elemental damage" for the purposes of Elemental Warrior?
          My gut says yes, but my head says "not if other players are wanting to contribute in combat but are struggling to keep up." But if he uses Elemental Weapon or Hungry Leaping Flames? Definitely.

Also, I've been allowing the player to inflict the "Burning" tilt on the target on an exceptional success and having it deal an additional 1L/turn unless put out by a successful Dex+Athletics - Wyrd roll. Is this a balanced condition or does anyone have a better idea?
          Do you mean you're A) using a custom Burning Tilt (due to lack of access to the Hurt Locker) or that you're B) adding 1L to the Burning Tilt's damage (and a quicker escape clause)?

A is fine (in my personal opinion), but not nearly as strong as the HL Burning Tilt, if your player is built to be "the combat guy" and is managing to fall behind somehow.

In B's case, I'd say the Burning Tilt is strong enough as is; I'd use that, and use the Elemental's weapon modifier as the fire's heat level (or a minimum of 1 heat level, if the Elemental's weapon modifier is 0L)––maybe allow further exceptional successes to amp up the heat level?

Comment

• Originally posted by Miirik View Post

I wouldn't––but I'd let him set objects aflame with his knuckles, and then let him use those growing flames he created to use the Elemental blessing. That way, he has easy (but not automatic) access to his blessing, but it takes a little bit of situational awareness and thought ("What's flammable here? Am I willing to risk collateral damage?").
            Fair, I'm just a little leery of him deciding to whip out a Bic or a Zippo and the silly image that creates. But I suppose I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

My gut says yes, but my head says "not if other players are wanting to contribute in combat but are struggling to keep up." But if he uses Elemental Weapon or Hungry Leaping Flames? Definitely.
            Thankfully that's not a problem. The non-combat focused characters don't really expect to contribute significantly to combat, so it hasn't been a problem.

Do you mean you're A) using a custom Burning Tilt (due to lack of access to the Hurt Locker) or that you're B) adding 1L to the Burning Tilt's damage (and a quicker escape clause)?

A is fine (in my personal opinion), but not nearly as strong as the HL Burning Tilt, if your player is built to be "the combat guy" and is managing to fall behind somehow.

In B's case, I'd say the Burning Tilt is strong enough as is; I'd use that, and use the Elemental's weapon modifier as the fire's heat level (or a minimum of 1 heat level, if the Elemental's weapon modifier is 0L)––maybe allow further exceptional successes to amp up the heat level?
            I didn't even know that Hurt Locker had a Burning Tilt, thanks for letting me know! Definitely going to use that one from now on. I'll probably use your suggestion to take the weapon modifier as the heat level, but leave the minimum as heat level 0 since HL's burning tilt deals 1 + heat level damage each turn, it's already doing a minimum of one damage.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

• Iron. We know the mechanical effects of it on Changelings and True Fae. But...

1. How sensitive are they to its presence? Could a Changeling or True Fae sense it much as werewolves smell silver? If so, would Changeling senses get dulled over time by the iron-rich environment of, um, Ironside?

2. It harms them, but does it affect them by touching it (nausea, hives, psychological aversions)? Or does the symbolic power of iron fade for Changelings in particular as the acclimate?

3. Are there Merits representing severe iron issues or the suppression of same?

There were, I think, some 1e material about this, but it's unclear to me.

--Khanwulf

Comment

• Answering for second edition:

1. The fae have no special ability to sense the presence of iron. The environment is presumed not to be "iron-rich" in the modern day, as alloys conventionally thought of as their own material (i.e. steel) don't count.
                2. Unspecified, except for hand-forged iron, which causes aggravated damage simply by touch. It would be reasonable to think that the touch of non-hand-forged iron might cause at least enough discomfort to recognize it for what it is.
                3. No.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
                  Answering for second edition:

1. The fae have no special ability to sense the presence of iron. The environment is presumed not to be "iron-rich" in the modern day, as alloys conventionally thought of as their own material (i.e. steel) don't count.
                  2. Unspecified, except for hand-forged iron, which causes aggravated damage simply by touch. It would be reasonable to think that the touch of non-hand-forged iron might cause at least enough discomfort to recognize it for what it is.
                  3. No.

Ok, this is helpful: so basically iron showing up is a surprise unless it's obvious or actively assumed: e.g. you're in an iron-heavy environment, or dealing with a known iron-wielder.

And sounds like there is literary license to describe the impact of iron without forcing characters to go through mechanical side-effects other than the damage. Cool.

It's always good to sketch out the boundaries of design intent, with these things, thanks.

--Khanwulf

Comment

• Khanwulf there is one standout feature that might make changeling characters notice that they've touched iron. Iron ends all Contracts and fae magic without exception. Fae armour doesn't shield them, boosted Defense fail, etc.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

• So this has most likely been answered elsewhere but I can't find it

I really like the dark eras contracts but how to I tell if they are royal or common and under which regalia

My favorite is the contract of air and darkness but all of them are very cool and I would love to use them all

Comment

• The Changeling content in Dark Eras was written prior to an unanticipated shakeup in Changeling Second Edition development, where the developer left the project and declined to contribute her work to the final product. CTL 2e was then re-developed by a new pair of developers who contributed their own work, which did not take all of the same tacks as the previous working draft.

Unfortunately, this leaves the Dark Eras content in an awkward limbo, having been written for an edition of the game that was never finished or published. The Contracts, then, are not under any Regalia because Regalia was a new idea brought in by the developers of the finalized Second Edition. It probably shouldn't be hard to assign the Contracts to Regalia using the rule of thumb on CTL 2e p. 127. (For example, the Contract of Air and Darkness is a good candidate for the Jewels, because its primary function is manipulation.) As a vague rule of thumb, look at one to three dot Contracts to become Common Contracts, and four or five dot Contracts to become Royal, but salt to taste.

Some material will be harder to adapt, as some of these mechanics reference rules that do not exist in the finalized Second Edition, and Second Edition doesn't have dot ratings for Contracts. You might have to, for example, implement Air and Darkness as a Royal Contract of Jewels which gets to pick one of the dot-level effects for free, and which can take a die penalty to its roll for each effect used after the first.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
                          Khanwulf there is one standout feature that might make changeling characters notice that they've touched iron. Iron ends all Contracts and fae magic without exception. Fae armour doesn't shield them, boosted Defense fail, etc.

One of the reasons Huntsmen are so damn scary is that they aren´t vulnerable to iron at all. In fact, they have no problem using it to neutralize and shackle changelings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
                            The Changeling content in Dark Eras was written prior to an unanticipated shakeup in Changeling Second Edition development, where the developer left the project and declined to contribute her work to the final product. CTL 2e was then re-developed by a new pair of developers who contributed their own work, which did not take all of the same tacks as the previous working draft.

Unfortunately, this leaves the Dark Eras content in an awkward limbo, having been written for an edition of the game that was never finished or published. The Contracts, then, are not under any Regalia because Regalia was a new idea brought in by the developers of the finalized Second Edition. It probably shouldn't be hard to assign the Contracts to Regalia using the rule of thumb on CTL 2e p. 127. (For example, the Contract of Air and Darkness is a good candidate for the Jewels, because its primary function is manipulation.) As a vague rule of thumb, look at one to three dot Contracts to become Common Contracts, and four or five dot Contracts to become Royal, but salt to taste.

Some material will be harder to adapt, as some of these mechanics reference rules that do not exist in the finalized Second Edition, and Second Edition doesn't have dot ratings for Contracts. You might have to, for example, implement Air and Darkness as a Royal Contract of Jewels which gets to pick one of the dot-level effects for free, and which can take a die penalty to its roll for each effect used after the first.
                            Thanks for the explanation.
                            Does anyone know if there's any thought on an edit or patch in the future?

My instinct is to make them all royal contracts.
                            The contract of inspiration may be a common but I would change the yards affected to be wyrd x 10
                            The contract of abjuration would keep all of its powers but the exceptional success would allow for shattered illusions instead of steadfast condition

I love the contract of air and darkness I really would like to keep it as strong as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by hyperspacewizard View Post
                              Does anyone know if there's any thought on an edit or patch in the future?
                              No.

As far as we know, OPP has no plans to officially update the older "CtL2e" material to the final 2e rules, or any of the 1e content in Dark Eras 1 or its Companion.

Comment

• Are there any official rules or suggestions on the sort of powers even 5-dot Tokens don't usually possess? I mean, not in terms of raw power, but in terms of... i dunno... no direct damage buffs, no instant death, no polymorphing people unwillingly?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Working...
                                X