No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suppose my problem is that a scene's usually just been at most a few hours in the games I've played. Which is why it's not designated a day but if changeling's get scenes which are much longer than normal it would have more uses.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
      What is the numerical measurement of a scene, then?
      Isn't it one hour?
      At least when a numerical measurement is sought. It was a while ago but I recall seeing the whole scene/chapter/story/chronicle terminology in a chart in some book. Even if I'm recalling it from first edition, I know that at least Mage still equates a scene with an hour when it comes to spell duration. And even in other games it tend to be turns < scenes < days in terms of supernatural power durations. Vampire has a few Disciplines where part of the effect can last beyond the scene to the end of the night, and at least one that is upgraded from a scene to a full night if rolling an ES.

Edit: I was looking up blood bonds for another thread and found that a third stage blood bond upgrades the duration of Disciplines. The progression is one scene -> night -> week -> month -> year.
      Considering that it's the exact same progression as in Mage (except that it goes up to indefinite duration and uses "day" instead of "night") I think it's safe to say that scenes aren't normally supposed to drag on for more than a couple of hours at most. When rushing through larger periods of time it shouldn't be considered a scene. It's called a time skip, and it is the progression between scenes.
      Last edited by Tessie; 05-06-2019, 10:48 AM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• The chart of possible Breaking Points lists receiving a mind-altering Condition such as Lost or Spooked as a 2-die Clarity attack. The Contract Tumult can potentially inflict multiple such Conditions at the same time. How should one handle this situation? By rolling each Clarity attack separately? By combining the multiple attacks into a single, accumulated dice pool?

Comment

• As long as it's simultaneously and from a single source I'd say it's a single attack. More Conditions and more severe Conditions can definitely add dice, but not as much as one extra die per extra Condition. Perhaps every two Conditions grants a bonus die for a maximum bonus of +3?

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post

Isn't it one hour?
            At least when a numerical measurement is sought. It was a while ago but I recall seeing the whole scene/chapter/story/chronicle terminology in a chart in some book. Even if I'm recalling it from first edition, I know that at least Mage still equates a scene with an hour when it comes to spell duration. And even in other games it tend to be turns < scenes < days in terms of supernatural power durations. Vampire has a few Disciplines where part of the effect can last beyond the scene to the end of the night, and at least one that is upgraded from a scene to a full night if rolling an ES.
            The difference is that Mage has hour-by-hour timekeeping built into other parts of its mechanics, uses a modular system for constructing the generalizable qualities of its core powers, determines whether a power is free at its baseline by criteria that are typically fixed parts of the character's splat or development, and has as part of its thematic focus the fact that it's often tempting to just re-cast the spell or push your limits at the risk of the thing being more likely to blow up in your face. Vampire similarly operates in a context where how rapidly you cycle your fuel says something about your character.

Blessing of Spring has a prerequisite prep activity and a patron-appropriate Loophole, but does not occupy the framework of a game where its effect is expected to need reinforcing or strict timekeeping beyond the bounding box of "a dramatic narrative beat is handled with the power."

Arc is not proposing that the Contract last more than a day, but the existence of an equivalence between a scene and an hour in a game where cascade complication is an issue and how many hours a ritual will take is important doesn't mean the Antler Crown can't make an afternoon of seeing how Jimmy Short takes to a growth spurt.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• ^Pretty much that.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
              Currently Working On: The Noble and the Sovereign, Blog

Comment

• Just wondering, what was the inspiration. Behind the Huntsman

Comment

• OOC? I think the idea was to make getting recaptured a legitimate threat. In 1e, all Changelings are terrified of being taken back to Arcadia, but it's not clear how they would be taken back (since they have ways of escaping pretty much anything). 2e provided an answer: the Huntsmen.

Comment

• I'll be more clear (you response was excellent to why they were created though). What sorta stories and fairy tales inspired the creation of Huntsmen

Comment

• Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                      I'll be more clear (you response was excellent to why they were created though). What sorta stories and fairy tales inspired the creation of Huntsmen
                      The huntsman of Snowhite comes to my mind

Comment

• how much would a Hunter Cell by worth at the Goblin Market? My character Is Thinking about being a Slaver.

Comment

• Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
                          how much would a Hunter Cell by worth at the Goblin Market? My character Is Thinking about being a Slaver.
                          1) What.
                          2) Depends on the Hunter Cell.
                          3) What.
                          4) Consider buying the supplement Goblin Market.
                          5) What.
                          Last edited by ArcaneArts; 05-15-2019, 05:35 PM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
                          Currently Working On: The Noble and the Sovereign, Blog

Comment

• It’s a Tier one Hunter cell of four members Two of which have the Striking Looks merit. There all in there Early 20tes One is a physician in training ,Master Baker and Heiress to a Giant Company.

Another is a Expert hacker that has a Ability to never by tracked by Supernatural mean. A mage can’t cast a spell to find her, nor can a werewolf use One of her gifts.

Another one At the peak of Human Potential and Knowledgeable About Philosophy. He has the striking looks merit.

And the fourth is mostly Vampire Bait and is super Handsome .
                            And what’s with the two what’s

Comment

• Um…

…I can imagine they'd be worth quite a lot. On the other hand, the local Changelings will not be happy with you selling people to the Fae.

Prices at the Goblin Market are never just numbers ("you'll get ¤18.25 for this"), though. The real question is, what do you want in return?

I imagine first you'd want to get a letter of marque. OOC, that's where privateers came from: a letter of marque is a contract with the government that says "this person can go out and basically be a pirate, and as long as they don't attack our ships, they're under our protection". So in the world of Changeling, I imagine a similar arrangement with the Gentry: "I'll supply you with new Changelings in exchange for my own safety".

But after that…when you're working for them, the sky's the limit. There's no telling what any individual Gentry might desire, but if you can figure it out and offer them that, you can have pretty much anything you'd ever want. Want to have all memories and effects of your Durance erased, continue your life with your family from the moment before you were taken, live out a pleasant human lifespan and die surrounded by your loved ones? The Gentry can make it happen. It might not be "real", it might all be a fantastic Arcadian dream, but if you can't tell the difference, does it really matter?

(And after that dream ends, when you realize you're back in Arcadia under the control of the True Fae again…well, you should have read the fine print.)

Comment

• When its Goblin trading that stuff would be real. You dont have to go to an Arcadian realm and pretend. Goblins literally trade in bottled memories, solidified feelings, and the like.

(he/him/his)

Backer #2010

Comment

Working...
                                X