No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear in mind that Extra Successes says assuming your roll succeeds, ie you check for success (and exceptional success) before you add those successes. This is a specific permutation overriding the general rule about resolving permutations before determining your result.

Comment

• Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
      Bear in mind that Extra Successes says assuming your roll succeeds, ie you check for success (and exceptional success) before you add those successes. This is a specific permutation overriding the general rule about resolving permutations before determining your result.
      Hmm... it could have been spelled out more clearly if it was supposed to change the order in which you apply it. But this seems to be the most sensible option, so I will go with it.

Comment

• What resources are there for designing 2E friendly Keepers? I'm going to read some 1E books but I want to know if there's anything the designers have said/released/posted which indicate a change in Keeper powers or psychology. I understand 2E is more explicit about not all Gentry choosing to be Keepers and make Changelings, so I'm wondering what else I should be aware of.

For starting material, I'm going to read through Autumn Nightmares and Grim Fears. Any other guides for making Keepers?

Comment

• Originally posted by MaltSchlitzmann View Post
          What resources are there for designing 2E friendly Keepers? I'm going to read some 1E books but I want to know if there's anything the designers have said/released/posted which indicate a change in Keeper powers or psychology. I understand 2E is more explicit about not all Gentry choosing to be Keepers and make Changelings, so I'm wondering what else I should be aware of.

For starting material, I'm going to read through Autumn Nightmares and Grim Fears. Any other guides for making Keepers?
          Quite honestly, the 2e core book does a marvellous job of showing how to make Gentry and what they can do, so I would check there first.

Comment

• Only problem I ran into was how to run one with a Title that doesn't manifest as a singular entity, but instead as a group or a Realm

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Equinox road had the most comprehensive rules on how to build a Fae before second edition. Not surprisingly, second edition uses a fairly similar base.

I will say that Autumn Nightmares and Grim Fears will give you *wildly* different perspectives on how powerful keepers are/are intended to be. Autumn Nightmares is written primarily as antagonists for starting characters, Grim Fears is decidedly about challenging even the most advanced Changelings. Like, some of the AN Fae are weaker than is even possible under the later Equinox/2e rules, and then GF throws a dragon with 40 health at you. Not a typo. 40 health.

Comment

• I'm sure this isn't the thread for this but, is it possible to back any of the new supplements, or is that over, or it wasn't a different specific kickstarter?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevään Neito View Post
                  I'm sure this isn't the thread for this but, is it possible to back any of the new supplements, or is that over, or it wasn't a different specific kickstarter?
                  You mean the other 2e books?

If so, then no. The ones announced and in development (the Companion and Kith and Kin) were Stretch Goal rewards for 2e corebook KS, and therefore not getting their own KS. And outside of that, typically gameline-exclusive supplements don't get their own KSs. Never say never, of course, but it's unlikely.

Comment

• Why does the "Fae Cunning" contract key off of Presence? Wits seems more logical for cunning, and Manipulation seems more logical for deceiving someone into hitting an ally. Especially with how incredibly common Presence is for contracts already, easily the #1 spot there. Also "cunning" is clearly more finesse than power.

I am leaning towards manipulation, since Wits is already in defense and the contract feels more like a faerie trick than just dodging that way.

Would you use Wits or Manipulation if you were to change it, or do you see a strong reason for keeping it Presence that I missed?

Edit: actually, I counted how many contracts are associated with each attribute, and found pres is 20, manip is 15, while mental is only 22 in total and phys is 7, so I will likely move it to dex. And make using Presence a Fairest benefit.
                    Last edited by Unahim; 07-25-2019, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• With Court Goodwill, if the benefit is dependant on the number of Mantle dots you have, is that also reduced by the -2 for accessing that benefit to begin with, or does it go by how many dots of Court Goodwill you have?

For an example, if Mandy the Winter Courtier has Court Goodwill: Spring at 3 dots, does Mandy get +3 (her Court Goodwill amount) to rolls to seduce someone or +1 (her Court Goodwill after the -2)?

Comment

• My assumption is that the numerical benefits are also reduced

Comment

• Court Goodwill providing anything beyond access to Court Contracts is news to me. Must be a 2e thing I missed in my readthrough

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• It’s part of the merit writeup - you can access the Mantle benefits of any court you get Court Goodwill in, but you will need Court Goodwill 3 to access Mantle 1 of that court. It also acts as a Status merit for that court and grants you a Mentor that teaches you the various aspects and contracts of that court. It’s a potent merit.

Also, another question. What sorts of buildings aren’t affected by Hostile Takeover, outside of one owned/primarily resided in by a Changeling with Hostile Takeover?

Comment

• How would carrying iron interact with a contract like Light-Shy? Let's say you're carrying an iron sword, for example; would the sword be hidden, or would the iron still be visible even with the contract active and just appear awkwardly floating in the air? Or would the contract not work at all, for that matter?

Comment

• Originally posted by BreezySatina View Post
                                How would carrying iron interact with a contract like Light-Shy? Let's say you're carrying an iron sword, for example; would the sword be hidden, or would the iron still be visible even with the contract active and just appear awkwardly floating in the air? Or would the contract not work at all, for that matter?
                                I believe as a general rule, Contracts tend to get nullified in the presence of iron. Full-stop.

Comment

Working...
                                X