Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MalachiteDrake View Post
    Can Fetches have children?
    If yes, are those children normal Mortals or something else?
    In 1e, fetches are usually sterile... but even so, sometimes they still have children.

Autumn Nightmares gives two options for such children:

The fetch-children have a touch of the fey about them, giving them Unseen Sense for the fae, the ability to enter the Hedge under their own power (and take others along with them), and possibly blood that's poisonous to the Gentry.

The fetch-spawn, on the other hand, are soulless horrors with no connection to the Wyrd. They don't have Morality ratings, they can't learn the Empathy skill, they can't learn or use fae magic, they temporarily negate tokens by touching them, they can't be targeted by Contracts or tokens, they can't enter pledges, they add three successes to any Stealth roll, they can't be tied up, bound, or restrained, and locked doors open for them with the slightest touch, they don't dream, and they drain all the Glamour from a changeling with a touch.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

• I asked this in a separate thread, but it was suggested it might be better asked here: In the 2e book it says that Hedgespun Items can get a +1 to equipment bonus, armor rating, or weapon damage per dot. is this on top of what the item normally gives, or instead of? A longsword normally does 3 damage with -2 initiative. What stats would a Hedgespun sword get? 5 damage or 2? -2 init or no init modifier? What about size and min strength? Also, can Hedgespun Items be taken using the Token merit?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post
        I asked this in a separate thread, but it was suggested it might be better asked here: In the 2e book it says that Hedgespun Items can get a +1 to equipment bonus, armor rating, or weapon damage per dot. is this on top of what the item normally gives, or instead of? A longsword normally does 3 damage with -2 initiative. What stats would a Hedgespun sword get? 5 damage or 2? -2 init or no init modifier? What about size and min strength? Also, can Hedgespun Items be taken using the Token merit?

and cross-posting a related question i posted in that thread before i remembered this thread (which I created in the first place, derp) exists

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
        If I may add another question to the pile, does the armor bonus apply to general armor, ballistic armor, both or your choice of one or the other every time you buy a dot?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Given that the modifiers are listed under 'Extraordinary Equipment" and it states +1 per dot I'm confident that it's meant to be added to an item's normal values, not replace them. And yes, they have a dot value and are intended to be purchased as the merit.

As for armor the only guideline I could find is that subtle hedge shaping shifts add 1 to general and ballistic per success; based on that I say 1 of each per dot.

Comment

• Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
            Given that the modifiers are listed under 'Extraordinary Equipment" and it states +1 per dot I'm confident that it's meant to be added to an item's normal values, not replace them. And yes, they have a dot value and are intended to be purchased as the merit.

As for armor the only guideline I could find is that subtle hedge shaping shifts add 1 to general and ballistic per success; based on that I say 1 of each per dot.
            I can't seem to find anything about having to pay for the base item before adding the modifiers from Token dots. Does this mean a character can just get a tank with a +1 modifier to something for the cost of 1 Merit dot? That seems a bit broken. If this is actually how this works I think I'm going to have to re-wright the rules for Hedgespun Items.

Comment

I can't seem to find anything about having to pay for the base item before adding the modifiers from Token dots. Does this mean a character can just get a tank with a +1 modifier to something for the cost of 1 Merit dot? That seems a bit broken. If this is actually how this works I think I'm going to have to re-wright the rules for Hedgespun Items.
              Your one-dot super-tank is still a tank-sized tank and also it will be destroyed by contact with iron. Its existence implies a tank was made into a token through one of the three vectors for token-acquisition that exist in the setting, the vast majority of which require having a tank from the beginning.

Resident Lore-Hound
              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Sure. Are you planning on leaving a tank in the hedge to "marinate", swear multiple oaths upon it, or steal it from the True Fae? If option one or two, how will you get the tank in the first place? To make a hedge-forged token, it needs to be something with personal meaning to your character. Is it the tank your mother gave you just before she died? If it's an oath-forged token, you still need to get your hands on a tank somehow, then you have to convince changelings to swear an oath it... a tank... three times. Will they even be willing to swear upon something so large and conspicuous, considering anyone that just puts a hand on it can use it to locate them? Hope you have summer court goodwill. Of course, you can always just sneak into Arcadia and steal a tank from the True Fae. Yeah, good luck with that. At the end of the day, this all sounds like a lot of time and effort for a tank that gets a +1 bonus to something and is completely destroyed if it touches iron. Which will probably happen as soon as anyone feels threatened by your new pimpmobile. Then again, they probably did you a favor by destroying it. Who knows what the local freehold would have to say about one of their members joyriding through town in a tank. Rather than re-write any rules, you should just have fun with any player that tries to pull this kind of tomfoolery.

Comment

Narrative matters. Table co-operation matters.

How you ended up with a Hedgespun tank matters to the story you're telling.

Personally, if I thought I had something to do with the 1-Dot Tank, particularly if it was relevant to the setting, Sure, Not a Fucking Problem, Glad Someone Did It. If I thought it was a waste of my fucking time, I'd tell you to pick something else, and would take a very annoyed tone with insistence perpetuated in continuity until you either convinced me or I told you to fuck off with the idea.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                  The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                  Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• Even for less egregious examples if you're really worried about it just limit the possibilities by Availability. We already have a good abstracted mechanic for limiting access based on rarity/expense.

Comment

• There's no way narrative should ever excuse horrendously unbalanced rules. A tank is an extreme example, but if the base item isn't taken into account with regards to the Token Merit and Hedgespun Items then that can lead to some absolutely game-breaking scenarios. By taking the Token Merit you get to skip all the messy rules for actually having to create the Token, you just have it already. The item never has to "marinate in the hedge" because the Merit skips that step. "Oh yea, I have a Hedgespun nuke I like to carry around with me. I paid my 1 Merit dot, so I just already have it". I'd rather not simply remove the whole mess (even though I am sorely tempted considering how badly this combination can be abused), so I guess I'll just houserule it so that the Availability cost of the base item adds to the cost of the Token Merit. So a longsword that does +1 damage would be a 4 dot Merit.

Comment

• Saying that you've got a Hedgespun tank for a Merit dot is just as unbalanced and unreasonable as saying you've got a mundane tank for no cost at all. Neither explains how you got a hold of a tank in the first place.

Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post
                        By taking the Token Merit you get to skip all the messy rules for actually having to create the Token, you just have it already. The item never has to "marinate in the hedge" because the Merit skips that step.
                        It skips going through all of that in play. It still has to happen because items gained through Merits doesn't just show up ex nihilo. Any Merits you buy are in some way or another acquired by the character, be it through actions in the game, during downtime, during the character's backstory, etc. If your character don't have a reason for having a Merit, they shouldn't have it. Just like everything else on the character sheet, from Attributes to Skills to Specialties to equipment.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• The wording of the merit seems to definitely imply that this is an object that you can either wear on your body or carry in your hands. I'd rule vehicles are out of it's purview. As for powerful handheld weapons, if it really bothers you, say you have to have the Resource Rating or appropriate dice pool needed to obtain an item of that Availability rating. But really, unless you really want to play a guy who is always on the run from the mundane law as well as the Gentry, a Hedgespun elephant gun or even just a pistol is more trouble than it's worth in damage due to how magically flashy and noticable they are.

Comment

• and if you really want a magical tank, add an armament upgrade to your Mobile Hollow (only sorta sarcastic.)

Comment

• Really basic question, but I haven't seen the answer explicitly stated: A character's Glamour-per-turn limit is determined by their Wyrd. If I have a Contract whose cost is greater than my per-turn limit (say, a Contract that costs 2 Glamour when I have Wyrd 1), does that mean I cannot use the Contract at all (except through its loophole)?

Comment

• If you can't spend all the Glamour in one turn, you do it over several turns, only activating the Contract once you've spent the entire cost. I don't have the book on me now but I'm sure it's stated in it.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
                                X