Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheStray7 View Post
    How exactly does Hedgespinning (and, by extension, Dreamweaving) work? Can you directly manipulate the Hedge, or does it all have to be done while you're doing other actions?
    You take actions in the environment that are literally or metaphorically related to your desired outcome and allocate excess successes toward your desired effects.

Can you take an Extended Action to build up greater changes, or does everything have o be generated at once?
    You can shunt successes from a successful roll in an extended action, but unless you manage a paradigm shift and stock extra successes, your results come from singular rolls.

Teamwork, tools, and dice tricks are your friends in this sort of endeavor.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      You take actions in the environment that are literally or metaphorically related to your desired outcome and allocate excess successes toward your desired effects.
      Would you mind sharing some examples?

When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

Comment

Would you mind sharing some examples?
        The Hedgespinning section's text on Subtle Shifts provides the examples of bridging a chasm by convincing people to work together or wrestling physically with something that represents something you want to mentally move past, or creating a door to an unknown Hollow by convincing those present that a picture of a door is real.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

• I am having some difficulty appreciating the change that occurs in an object when it becomes permanently animated as a one dot Retainer via Dance Of The Toys. Does it no longer require an activation roll for accepting commands? Will it follow commands (or a single command) if it leaves the normal control area? Would it still benefit from any Seeming bonuses such as the ability to float at walking speed if a Wizened animated it?

Basically I want to appreciate the benefit of spending an experience on something as opposed to evoking the contract over and over again to almost certainly get a better benefit than a Retainer’s 2 dice to fulfill a task.
          Last edited by Taidragon; 12-21-2019, 07:03 AM.

Comment

• Do Fetch using the Mimic Contract Echo get the benefit of the Seeming Blessing their Changeling counterpart gets? For example, would the Fetch of an Elemental get a bonus to Initiative and Speed when mimicking Fae Cunning?

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
              I am having some difficulty appreciating the change that occurs in an object when it becomes permanently animated as a one dot Retainer via Dance Of The Toys. Does it no longer require an activation roll for accepting commands? Will it follow commands (or a single command) if it leaves the normal control area? Would it still benefit from any Seeming bonuses such as the ability to float at walking speed if a Wizened animated it?

Basically I want to appreciate the benefit of spending an experience on something as opposed to evoking the contract over and over again to almost certainly get a better benefit than a Retainer’s 2 dice to fulfill a task.
              Correct--it no longer requires an invocation roll (or Glamour/Loophole), and the animated device can go wherever. It functions just like any other Retainer, except it's not a person. You still retain the Seeming benefits. The main benefit to spending the Experience to buy it as a Merit is that it won't cost you any Glamour and it will stay animated even if it gets out of range; it'll just keep doing the last thing you told it to do until it can't anymore or you give it another command. And Changeling players are always coming up with creative ways to use what they've got, so I'm sure there are other ones I'm not thinking of right now.

Meghan Fitzgerald | Onyx Path freelance writer & developer
              Changeling: The Lost developer
              Mage: The Awakening developer

Comment

Do Fetch using the Mimic Contract Echo get the benefit of the Seeming Blessing their Changeling counterpart gets? For example, would the Fetch of an Elemental get a bonus to Initiative and Speed when mimicking Fae Cunning?
                Yes; they in fact get all the seeming benefits their changeling counterpart knows, even if the changeling learned them from a changeling of another seeming. They're mimicking the Contract exactly as their counterpart knows it.

Meghan Fitzgerald | Onyx Path freelance writer & developer
                Changeling: The Lost developer
                Mage: The Awakening developer

Comment

• Originally posted by Meghan Fitzgerald View Post

Correct--it no longer requires an invocation roll (or Glamour/Loophole), and the animated device can go wherever. It functions just like any other Retainer, except it's not a person. You still retain the Seeming benefits. The main benefit to spending the Experience to buy it as a Merit is that it won't cost you any Glamour and it will stay animated even if it gets out of range; it'll just keep doing the last thing you told it to do until it can't anymore or you give it another command. And Changeling players are always coming up with creative ways to use what they've got, so I'm sure there are other ones I'm not thinking of right now.
                  As someone making a Wizened Chatelaine character who will be rebuilding a mostly wrecked Volkswagen beetle that belonged to his grandparents, and someone who loves the Love Bug movies (both character and I), I cannot overstate my joy at this post. Thank you Meghan~

Comment

• Originally posted by Meghan Fitzgerald View Post

Yes; they in fact get all the seeming benefits their changeling counterpart knows, even if the changeling learned them from a changeling of another seeming. They're mimicking the Contract exactly as their counterpart knows it.

Thank you.

I have more questions.

Do Fetch get Frailties as their Wyrd goes up?

When a True Fae marks a Huntsman with a Title, do they lose access to the persona that Title represented while it's bound? Or is it more like The Title is just imbuing some of their essence in the Huntsman, but still keeps existing and doing other stuff while the Huntsman hunts?

Does a Title get the Seeming benefits for their Contracts? Can they gain other Seeming benefits?

Comment

Do Fetch get Frailties as their Wyrd goes up?
                      There is no reason to assume that they do, all other fae that develop frailties explicitly state that they do.

When a True Fae marks a Huntsman with a Title, do they lose access to the persona that Title represented while it's bound? Or is it more like The Title is just imbuing some of their essence in the Huntsman, but still keeps existing and doing other stuff while the Huntsman hunts?
                      IIRC, that question was answered by one of the writers before, and the True Fae does not lose access to the Title themselves. They are imbued with a representation of the Title/part of it, rather than with the whole thing.

Does a Title get the Seeming benefits for their Contracts? Can they gain other Seeming benefits?
                      P. 270:
                      True Fae don’t have kiths, courts,
                      or anchors. They don’t truly have seemings either,
                      but each Title can use one seeming’s blessing and
                      bears something of that seeming’s trappings regardless
                      of the form it takes.
                      It does not spell it out, but it seems logical that the Seeming benefits of the associated Seeming are also part of that.

Comment

• Is it supposed to be super easy to heal Clarity damage? The rules make it seem like all one has to do is spend a couple scenes with a Touchstone and you can eliminate all Clarity damage. There isn't even a "once per Chapter" limitation or anything. What's the point of Contracts like Fortifying Presence (which is a Royal Contract that costs 2 Glamour just to heal 2 mild or 1 severe Clarity damage) if Clarity damage is so easy to get rid of by mundane means? I was expecting Clarity damage to require something like weeks of intense therapy. Am I missing something, or is Clarity really that much of a non-issue?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post
                          Is it supposed to be super easy to heal Clarity damage?
                          At first, sure. Easy maintenance is still maintenance, and raising Wyrd and picking up Icons increases the frequency with which you are liable to suffer minor Clarity attacks even without Clarity attacks coming from things as simple as getting lost.

The rules make it seem like all one has to do is spend a couple scenes with a Touchstone and you can eliminate all Clarity damage.
                          Yeah. Those are scenes you're spending not dealing with other problems and also scenes you're spending in the presence of one of the things it badly hurts you to lose access to or lose outright.

What's the point of Contracts like Fortifying Presence (which is a Royal Contract that costs 2 Glamour just to heal 2 mild or 1 severe Clarity damage) if Clarity damage is so easy to get rid of by mundane means?
                          Because Fortifying Presence works with anybody anywhere. You can be miles into the Hedge and far away from the target's fetch or ex or pet occultist and Fortifying Presence still does the thing that it does as long as you hit its very broad trigger criteria.

I was expecting Clarity damage to require something like weeks of intense therapy. Am I missing something, or is Clarity really that much of a non-issue?
                          Clarity damage is relatively simple to resolve. Clarity Conditions, meanwhile? Well, go check the Appendix to see what it takes to get rid of some of the Persistent Clarity Conditions.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

• I'm starting up a new changeling chronicle soon, my first one actually, and I'm just wondering, considering how difficult it is to even give Wyrd 1 characters Clarity damage, and how easy it is to get rid of it, how can you even get characters to the point where they gain Clarity Conditions. Hopefully during the campaign it'll be different than I think, but currently unless I trap the characters in the Hedge for extended periods, I just can't see Clarity ever becoming a real issue. Is it supposed to be that Clarity is a non-issue for low Wyrd Changelings and is only supposed to be a problem for higher Wyrd Changelings?

I was also wondering: do successes on the Clarity attack roll carry add dice to the damage roll? Or is it really the same amount of damage no matter how bad the trigger was? For a Wyrd 1 character is it only one damage die regardless if it's killing your touchstone or meeting your fetch for the first time? I know you get different amounts of dice for the attack roll, but the fact they all do the same damage just doesn't seem right. Why even have separate attack and damage rolls for this? Why not just have it something like Breaking Point value + Wyrd +/- Touchstone modifier +/- misc modifiers and have the result be the Clarity damage done. Seems a lot quicker and less complicated.
                            Last edited by Shadowdragon; 01-22-2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I was also wondering: do successes on the Clarity attack roll carry add dice to the damage roll?
                              No.

Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post
                              Why even have separate attack and damage rolls for this? Why not just have it something like Breaking Point value + Wyrd +/- Touchstone modifier +/- misc modifiers and have the result be the Clarity damage done. Seems a lot quicker and less complicated.
                              Because that would mean high Wyrd characters would start failing their rolls a lot more often than low Wyrd characters for no proper reason. The devs wanted to divorce how often you fail and take damage with how much damage you take when failing.
                              It works in combat because a success is a hit, and a better hit (more successes) means it should deal more damage. For Clarity attacks, what determines how likely you are to succeed or fail isn't supposed to determine how badly you fail. A high Wits+Composure individual with multiple Icons and Touchstones is likely to stave off the breaking point, but if they're high Wyrd it means that when they fail it's going to hit them a lot harder. You can't have that if you combine those two factors into one roll. (Unless you add a "weapon modifier" to the Clarity attack roll, but then you lose out on how variable the damage might be, and also more prone to take more damage if you're more prone to fail the roll, and vice versa.)

Bloodline: The Stygians
                              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

I'm starting up a new changeling chronicle soon, my first one actually, and I'm just wondering, considering how difficult it is to even give Wyrd 1 characters Clarity damage, and how easy it is to get rid of it, how can you even get characters to the point where they gain Clarity Conditions.
                                Lower Max Clarity means it takes less damage to start applying Clarity Conditions in addition to there being less wiggle room between "you have a bonus to Perception rolls" and "you have a penalty to Perception rolls and also may start hallucinating on a dramatic failure."

For a Wyrd 1 character is it only one damage die regardless if it's killing your touchstone or meeting your fetch for the first time?
                                It's a base of one damage die. Conditions and Touchstone detachment add damage dice.

This is how the Hedge's relation to Clarity gets tricky: The Clarity attack rolls from things that aren't part of the Hedge lose a die, but the Clarity damage rolls remain as normal, and the Hedge is prone to giving Conditions of the sort that add damage dice, so breaking points become that much more of a gamble.

Gaining any non-Clarity Condition that spooks you or confuses your senses (which can include the Conditions on the Clarity Condition list coming from sources other than marking your last three Clarity boxes) is a Clarity attack with a base roll of two dice. In addition, the following Conditions add dice to Clarity damage rolls:
                                • Amnesia (+2)
                                • Awestruck (+1)
                                • Berserk (+1)
                                • Cowed (+1)
                                • Demoralized (+1)
                                • Disoriented (+1)
                                • Frightened (+1)
                                • Glamour Addicted (+1)
                                • Goblin Queen (+2)
                                • Hedge Denizen (+1)
                                • Hunted (+1)
                                • Lost (+1)
                                • Oathbreaker (+1)
                                • Paranoid (+1)
                                • Ravaged (+1)

Nothing directly in the system apart from the effects of the Hedge and the table of modifiers on page 104 affects the Clarity attack roll; attached Touchstones subtract dice from the damage roll, and having severe damage in the related boxes detaches Touchstones until they're all detached, at which point you add two more dice to Clarity damage rolls instead.

What this means for a starting character is that mild damage is more likely than severe damage and less extreme in calm circumstances, but with a shorter Clarity track (average Attributes give you a maximum of 5 or 6 boxes), you're more likely to be dealing with normal Clarity Conditions and hallucinations while you adjust to life back on Earth; lower Glamour maximums means you're more likely to spend all of it in one day if you're spending it with any frequency, having your promises broken or being lied to or getting confused is a commonplace thing in an newly-unfamiliar place, and so on — you'll be getting minor pings regularly, including from your seeming-specific breaking point.

Confused, Dissociation, Distracted, Shaken, Spooked, and Withdrawn are all relatively straightforward to resolve (and heal some Clarity by doing so), but the ones that aren't "discharge this Condition by causing a problem" apply moderate penalties that make it harder for a character to act gregariously and with their wits about them.

When things are going well for a new changeling, they can get by well enough on account of having a chance die on Clarity damage rolls and no extra frailties, but depending on your Touchstones for Clarity when there's things after you and the world is a weird and scary place is a good way to have those Touchstones endangered unless you escalate in kind; taking charge and otherwise pursuing the negative modifiers for Clarity attack rolls is the main way you push back against mounting bonus dice to the damage roll from Conditions.

It takes some cooperation from the players, but that's true for all the ChroD games — their responsibilities include highlighting their characters' weaknesses, making decisions that create drama, and confronting the problems you introduce as the ST.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

Working...
                                X