Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Becoming human again, huh. I hear the 2E preview has the Comatose Condition, where the wounds on your psyche are so great you retreat into an unending, blissful dream... (evil giggle)

Leave a comment:

• Khanwulf
    replied
    Originally posted by Taidragon View Post

I think one reason it was cut was for a simple reason; the Wyrd in 2e is a cosmic balancing act. By being taken you gained phenomenal powers and magics as compensation. Abstaining from using that power at Wyrd 1, and then killing your Fetch once it had taken your magic...doesn't make sense in that context. Your very soul has been made Fae, and your mind has been stripped of human faculties to the point that your vices and virtues aren't how you regain will. It is acting true to yourself and to your image that you gain willpower back. How can you truly be "human" without any of fixing that? How can you fix any of that?
    How can you fix any of that? Dunno. But as Pluvinarch alludes the effort makes a good story. After all, "I wanna be a real boy!" is a firm story trope.

Part of me wants to believe that the struggle for Changelings to hope and adapt, by itself is valuable to the Keepers, in that it continues to generate "story" in ways that channel glamour back to Arcadia. If this surmise is even partially correct, it could explain why some Changelings and Holds are left more or less alone by the Huntsmen, or... just enough so to keep the inhabitants of the fishbowl properly terrified.

Anyway, I'd also like to believe that it is possible to become human again--even if difficult--but that doing so never really sheds ties completely. There will always be something tugging at the back of the mind. Something... watching.

--Khanwulf

Leave a comment:

• Pluvinarch
    replied
    Originally posted by Taidragon View Post

I think one reason it was cut was for a simple reason; the Wyrd in 2e is a cosmic balancing act. By being taken you gained phenomenal powers and magics as compensation. Abstaining from using that power at Wyrd 1, and then killing your Fetch once it had taken your magic...doesn't make sense in that context. Your very soul has been made Fae, and your mind has been stripped of human faculties to the point that your vices and virtues aren't how you regain will. It is acting true to yourself and to your image that you gain willpower back. How can you truly be "human" without any of fixing that? How can you fix any of that?
    From a dramatic perspective, I can see some changelings who just escaped their ordeal and trying to deny all that happened to them. They will fail, but it makes good stories.

Leave a comment:

• Taidragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post

I suppose that's all partly dependent on the activity cycles of the Huntsmen, how often they're in your area, and how often you're rubbing shoulders with Hedge-denizens and other Changelings. If you do so frequently then your efforts to be magically-minimal will suffer.

Pluvinarch to answer your question with an idea, it was proposed in ... an early 2e draft? I think? That a Changeling could maybe starve down her Wyrd to 1 and run on minimal Glamour in order to set up the possibility of destroying their fetch (and consuming it?) to become human again. I doubt that sort of edge-case text will make the final cut, however.

--Khanwulf

Leave a comment:

• Khanwulf
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    Having no Glamour in your system means you will starve in relatively short order, as well as being nearly incapable of avoiding the notice of any fae that come your way. It's theoretically possible for you to coast by at Wyrd 1 with a single point of Glamour in this manner without running into any other fae, but the nature of the game makes that incredibly unlikely.

Also, depending on how you read some of the breaking points, it's possible that simply venting all the Glamour you have on hand in short bursts and not being able to talk about your experiences or have contact with other changelings is going to gradually wear on your Clarity as readily as lies and rejection do.
    I suppose that's all partly dependent on the activity cycles of the Huntsmen, how often they're in your area, and how often you're rubbing shoulders with Hedge-denizens and other Changelings. If you do so frequently then your efforts to be magically-minimal will suffer.

Pluvinarch to answer your question with an idea, it was proposed in ... an early 2e draft? I think? That a Changeling could maybe starve down her Wyrd to 1 and run on minimal Glamour in order to set up the possibility of destroying their fetch (and consuming it?) to become human again. I doubt that sort of edge-case text will make the final cut, however.

--Khanwulf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X