Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
    Between my posting that and your reply, someone did note to me that the Taking Your Time option actually lines up with the write-up for the Wizened a bit more neatly than I had initially read, where the end result simply takes 5 more successes to get to. It’s more trying to do it quickly via instant action that would have the penalty (though oi vey it’s a bit confusing trying to apply it there). Still, thank you for the swift reply to take out the confusion, it’s appreciated.
    Good point, I forgot about Taking Your Time. ^^
    So basically the Blessing should say "This counts as building Equipment with a five-dice bonus." That way it works with both normal Build Equipment rules, as well as Taking Your Time.

Comment

• Two potentially not-so-simple questions:

1. What happens to a Huntsman if the mortal guarding its heart dies? Does the verderer die as well? Is it banished back to Arcadia? Is it now suddenly a free (albeit heartless) agent?

2. Can the Hedge ghost of a former changeling still swear oaths?

Comment

• Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
        Two potentially not-so-simple questions:

1. What happens to a Huntsman if the mortal guarding its heart dies? Does the verderer die as well? Is it banished back to Arcadia? Is it now suddenly a free (albeit heartless) agent?
        Gooooood question. Or, like, you know... what happens every morning when the mortal wakes? :P

A Bastion only exists for the span of a single dream.
        When the dreamer wakes, whether naturally or because a
        paradigm shift jarred them awake, the Bastion crumbles
        and disappears, its territory relinquished back to the surrounding
        dreamscape.
        I have no answer to this, and would also like to know. ^^

2. Can the Hedge ghost of a former changeling still swear oaths?
        No, hedge ghosts all have the same abilities, regardless of whether they're based off of a dead human or dead Changeling, and swearing Oaths is not part of their skillset.
        As an aside, if Hedge Ghosts really function similarly to ghosts then they might not really be to the individual that spawned them, like we would normally assume. One weird thing about CoFD ghosts is that it's actually possible that a ghost of you is created while you're still alive (I think it's in Mage where some examples of this are found?), so whatever they are they're more an imprint of you caused by specific events that leave echoes in the fabric of the world (usually this event is your death), and not really you-after-death.
        But that's deep in the itty-bitty-gritty details of the lore, which I usually tend to ignore whenever it suits me, so others here are probably WAY better informed about this than I am.

Comment

• Originally posted by Unahim View Post

Gooooood question. Or, like, you know... what happens every morning when the mortal wakes? :P

I have no answer to this, and would also like to know. ^^
          I had assumed that while awake, the heart lies in like the mortal's subconscious (which could maybe be represented by a Persistent Condition or even a Supernatural Merit), but I suppose that's certainly a mystery.

No, hedge ghosts all have the same abilities, regardless of whether they're based off of a dead human or dead Changeling, and swearing Oaths is not part of their skillset.
          As an aside, if Hedge Ghosts really function similarly to ghosts then they might not really be to the individual that spawned them, like we would normally assume. One weird thing about CoFD ghosts is that it's actually possible that a ghost of you is created while you're still alive (I think it's in Mage where some examples of this are found?), so whatever they are they're more an imprint of you caused by specific events that leave echoes in the fabric of the world (usually this event is your death), and not really you-after-death.
          But that's deep in the itty-bitty-gritty details of the lore, which I usually tend to ignore whenever it suits me, so others here are probably WAY better informed about this than I am.
          That's fair. I figured Hedge ghosts weren't the same as Avernian ghosts, but Mage does give us ghosts that already break established rules, and I thought it might make for some interesting stories if an oath could theoretically carry on beyond death in the right circumstances. The create-ghosts-from-living-trauma phenom is in Geist (and is one of my personal favorite additions to 2e).

Hedge ghosts are pretty interesting for encompassing pretty much all other kinds of ephemeral entity, but while at the same time not actually being ephemeral entities. Hopefully they'll get further examination in Kith & Kin?

Comment

• Just have a couple questions about a contract
            For chrysalis do you also gain the skills with the animals, and the attacks, and special skills?
            Like in dark eras 2 the crocodile has the special abilities of river predator and terrible jaws, so I’m wondering if a changeling would get that too, along with its skills and attack?

Comment

• Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
              I thought it might make for some interesting stories if an oath could theoretically carry on beyond death in the right circumstances.
              Sure, why not? If Wyrd thinks it should, Wyrd certainly could. ^^ I don't think Hedge Ghosts being unable to form new Oaths on their own necessarily prevents this scenario for an existing Oath.

Hedge ghosts are pretty interesting for encompassing pretty much all other kinds of ephemeral entity, but while at the same time not actually being ephemeral entities. Hopefully they'll get further examination in Kith & Kin?
              They are indeed pretty neat. ^^ You can give them the demanifestation power to make them more like "regular" ephemeral entities, but they do stay pretty different.

Comment

• If i understand it rightly, there are two type of situation in which a changeling drops his mask:
                -automatic, in the hedge and dreams
                No bonus, fae get the changeling wyrd as a tracking bonus
                -voluntary, in the material world.
                Bonus on successes in contracts, but fae automatically track the changeling
                Is it correct?
                How does the obliged condition interact with the two different situations?
                And can a true fae drop her masl in, the material world?

Comment

• Being that there seems to be no penalty for harvesting Glamour besides a rushed harvest, isn't it in effect possible for players to have unlimited glamour at all times?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sanaelar View Post
                    Being that there seems to be no penalty for harvesting Glamour besides a rushed harvest, isn't it in effect possible for players to have unlimited glamour at all times?
                    Rushed harvest and shallow/common emotion accounts for a lot, but also non-fae are not always going to be close at hand and harvesting often is going to have specific consequences for higher-Wyrd changelings.

Resident Lore-Hound
                    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                      Rushed harvest and shallow/common emotion accounts for a lot, but also non-fae are not always going to be close at hand and harvesting often is going to have specific consequences for higher-Wyrd changelings.
                      In addition to this, there's just the opportunity cost of time and effort. Gotta look up a concert to attend or a sad movie to watch and then actually go and be there for it. This is a small cost but it does mean you're topping your Glamour back up during downtime and it's not so convenient under time pressure.

But yes, Glamour is one of the more easy-come-easy-go supernatural fuels. Changelings can be well stocked without having to hurt people or exert themselves too much.

Comment

• Dark eras 2, in the Arthurian setting, mentions "natural occouring hedgeways" located in forests.
                        But for me it s hard to imagine the form of a natural closeable portals in a forest, can you think about some examples?

Comment

• Ditch them having to be closeable. The corebook technically doesn't say Hedgeways have to be closable; just that those created by changelings have to be. If they're naturally occurring, have them be whatever. Two trees with connecting branches that opens up when you walk around them three times, or a circle of mushrooms that you sink into if you lie horisontal in the middle and sing a song of passings. (Of course, changelings can still just will them open.)

Bloodline: The Stygians
                          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                            Ditch them having to be closeable. The corebook technically doesn't say Hedgeways have to be closable; just that those created by changelings have to be. If they're naturally occurring, have them be whatever. Two trees with connecting branches that opens up when you walk around them three times, or a circle of mushrooms that you sink into if you lie horisontal in the middle and sing a song of passings. (Of course, changelings can still just will them open.)
                            Considering the example on pag 311, the fae touched who reached the hedge passing under an oak branch arc, this actually make a lot of sense, thanks.

Comment

• Changeling has a lot of subsystems and minor rules for both the GM and his players to remember. do any of you know a good reference sheet?

Comment

• Does frailty (and cold iron) bypass entirely even mundane (non magical) types of armor?
                                I mean, it would seem a bit strange if a changeling transmits his vulnerability to the item he wears

Comment

Working...
                                X