No announcement yet.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Huntsmen have Frailties? I mean, aside from Iron, which we know they're not affected by.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darinas View Post
      Do Huntsmen have Frailties? I mean, aside from Iron, which we know they're not affected by.
      "Huntsmen do not suffer the frailties of other fae creatures, which is one reason the Gentry risk sending their Titles into the world this way."

They're also specifically created using the rules for creating hobgoblins except where specified, and the section on creating hobgoblins notes frailties that aren't iron as optional (albeit helpful as ludonarrative handles).

Resident Lore-Hound
      Currently Consuming: Demon: the Descent 1e

Comment

• Okay thank you^^

Comment

• What happens to Changeling bodies when they die? Do they look human, or do they show their true form? Do the bodies disintegrate, or turn into crass or leaves?

Apologies if this was answered, but I tried searching with the keywords "Death," "Bodies," "Corpses," and "Die," with no results. I also looked in the 2E rulebook, but in the Injury section, it went straight from Injury to Healing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Father Enoch View Post
            What happens to Changeling bodies when they die? Do they look human, or do they show their true form? Do the bodies disintegrate, or turn into crass or leaves?
            Consistently nothing, unlike fetches, which can break down into their component parts an unspecified amount of time after death when nobody's looking.
            Originally posted by CtL 1e Core Rulebook, p172, "Mien and the Mask"
            The Mask is not a choice. It protects and disguises the Lost even when they would have it otherwise, even beyond death. The Mask seems to be another expression of the ancient pacts struck by the Fae to protect them and theirs from the eyes of common men and women.
            Originally posted by CtL 2e Core Rulebook, p83, "Mask"
            Sight is not the only sense the Mask affects. While your human paramour may believe that her flower-bearing fae lover smells delightful, she will not recognize your scent as the lilacs and lilies growing in your beard. Hoof clicks will sound like normal footsteps to non-fae ears, and even claws or horns will seem like normal nails or an unmarred forehead if touched by human skin. This power is so great that it holds even after you die; no matter how grotesquely unnatural your living form might be, you will leave behind a mundane-looking corpse.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

• Well, that's a little awkward. Thank You, Satchel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Father Enoch View Post
                Well, that's a little awkward. Thank You, Satchel.
                One notable exception to the above is if a changeling is killed by a major bane, in which case:

Originally posted by CtL 2e Core Rulebook, p 102, "Frailties"
                her entire body unravels in spectacular fashion, exploding into thorns and leaves or hundreds of torn gossamer wings.

Comment

• What's the latest news on Kith and Kin? I thought there used to be a page telling the current progress on all the books, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Comment

• Kith and Kin's in layout, per last month's update.

As for the other thing... Current Projects currently only lists what projects are on the go, not where they are; for that, you have to check each month's Release Roundup.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

• Can someone be born into Arcadia? That is, can two Changelings in the midst of their durance conceive a child? And if so, is the kid a Changeling by default, but lacking a Fetch?

Obviously whether or not the hypothetical child could survive once born would depend on the Keeper and their realm, my main concern is if it's a plausible scenario in the first place.

I make Legacies when I'm bored. They're of middling quality, but have a look if you're interested. Advice and suggestions are welcome

Comment

• Originally posted by Cauthon View Post
                        Can someone be born into Arcadia? That is, can two Changelings in the midst of their durance conceive a child? And if so, is the kid a Changeling by default, but lacking a Fetch?

Obviously whether or not the hypothetical child could survive once born would depend on the Keeper and their realm, my main concern is if it's a plausible scenario in the first place.
                        On the one hand, 2e has loosely done away with the consistent idea that the fae are sterile (though the physical-mechanical complications of a given mien may still make the prospect unlikely — as the bit in the sidebar notes, producing children is a little tricky when your child-producing anatomy Does Things that interfere with that process), and the Fae have sufficient mastery over their domains that it's not inconceivable* for them to be able to facilitate (or deny) the production of children by their once-human slaves. The offhand mention in Chapter Two's short fiction-snippets of a Keeper's son could be interpreted in multiple different ways, at least one of which is that the Gentry are not barred from reproducing in a way that bears resemblance to the biological method.

On the other hand, faeries stealing babies out of cribs is a genre trope that bears retention as part of the greater constellation of reasons for the Lost to be concerned with children in the mortal world beyond abstract symmetry with Peter Pan (harvesting Glamour working better with new emotions being another of these), the durance is a place and time where the mien is even less human-adjacent than usual, Werewolf 2e has largely moved away from the elements that supported "group of people kept as breeding stock" as a regularly-enough-encountered thing for a reason, and speaking personally as a Changeling ST who encountered issues running the game for a PC whose durance included "grew up in Faerie from young enough to have no recollection of the mortal world at all" I cannot recommend the supposition that a character born in Arcadia has the ludonarrative tools to possess Clarity without serious tweaks to the system to accommodate it.

More likely the result of changeling unions that produce viable offspring during the durance is a hobgoblin, animal, or other strangeness that can't be traded as "your firstborn/seventhborn/etc child" to any but the most flexible goblin merchant/by any but the most open-hearted changeling lucky enough to keep their spawn.

* [your exasperated groan here]

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                          More likely the result of changeling unions that produce viable offspring during the durance is a hobgoblin, animal, or other strangeness that can't be traded as "your firstborn/seventhborn/etc child" to any but the most flexible goblin merchant/by any but the most open-hearted changeling lucky enough to keep their spawn.
                          Well, since my biggest concern was whether the thing would even have a soul, that about makes sense. A hobgoblin or some eldritch abomination is most likely. Maybe a modification on the Nativity from MtAw.

I have absolutely no plans to make this a PC, just to clarify. It was just something I was wondering about while reading up on Fetches, and got to thinking about what circumstances would lead to a Changling having no Fetch. At best it would be a plot device.

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                          * [your exasperated groan here]
                          Hey, I chuckled. Nothing like a good pun.
                          Last edited by Cauthon; 07-24-2022, 01:10 AM.

I make Legacies when I'm bored. They're of middling quality, but have a look if you're interested. Advice and suggestions are welcome

Comment

• Originally posted by Cauthon View Post
                            Can someone be born into Arcadia? That is, can two Changelings in the midst of their durance conceive a child? And if so, is the kid a Changeling by default, but lacking a Fetch?

From what i understand EVERYTHING that happens in Arcadia is part of the keepers Title and wholly controlled by it.
                            Changelings are clearly an exception during their Durance, but their autonomy is badly compromised on all levels, and in any case it s limited only in regard of themselves.
                            My take is that if two changelings conceives "something" in Arcadia, it s possible only if the Keeper allows and controls the whole process, and the resulting being would simply become a part of the Title manifestation.

Comment

• How does teamwork works for hedgespinning?
                              Does everyone need to spend glamour?
                              Does every one in fact need to be able to hedgespin?

Comment

• Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
                                How does teamwork works for hedgespinning?
                                Does everyone need to spend glamour?
                                Does every one in fact need to be able to hedgespin?
                                The one doing the Hedgespinning needs to spend Glamour. Unless the secondary actors are also Hedgespinning with their own actions, they don't need to spend Glamour.

Resident Lore-Hound

Comment

Working...
                                X