Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Saw that this is one of the few boards that didn't have one of these. And since Changeling is only rivaled by Mage in the "you will encounter loopholes, fringe circumstances and weirdness" category, I'm thinking it could definitely use one of these.

I'll probably be asking more questions than I ever get the knowledge to answer, personally, but there are a lot of smart, informed people on this board who can contribute, like ArcaneArts , Charlaquin, White Oak Dragon, etc.

So, to start off the board, here's my first question.

A mortal in the Hedge is in a bad way, but what happens to them if a Changeling with a Mien that is easily hideable even when exposed follows them through a hedge gate right into their Hollow? Depending on the Hollow, could they not even realize they're somewhere magical? Or does the Hedge call to them still?

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Should there be a -5 penalty to all rolls to act against a source of Cold Iron, in the same manner as other Major Frailties

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Horodrigo View Post
    After reading some things about Arthur's Brittania (Changeling, Vampire, Hunter) I was wondering:

Is it possible for Vampires or Hunters to join a court? Specifically, is it possible for them to obtain Mantle or Court Goodwill?
    Fetches and fae-touched can't get a Mantle and the terms of Hedge Denizen and Goblin Queen specifically make your Mantle less effective, so I'm inclined to believe nothing that's not a changeling can have a Mantle.

Court Goodwill, maybe.

Leave a comment:

• Horodrigo
    replied
    After reading some things about Arthur's Brittania (Changeling, Vampire, Hunter) I was wondering:

Is it possible for Vampires or Hunters to join a court? Specifically, is it possible for them to obtain Mantle or Court Goodwill?

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by ruggedrock View Post
    Alright, I've got a simple one. Do video cameras (or camera functions on Smart Phones) work in the Hedge. I think I remember somewhere that they don't, but I can't see to find the proper passage in the book.
    Like any complex technology, there's more things that can go weird even before getting into conceptual messes like what a camera reveals about its subjects.

A video camera might work normally, but it's also possible that its screen or battery or lens might fail to work, or that the camera might show the scene around where you entered the Hedge or the inner turmoil of you-the-cameraperson or a speech a hobgoblin general gave in the area a month ago.

Technology in general isn't reliable in the Hedge, and the more things it needs to work properly, the less likely that it will.
    Last edited by Satchel; 02-10-2020, 04:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ruggedrock
    replied
    Alright, I've got a simple one. Do video cameras (or camera functions on Smart Phones) work in the Hedge. I think I remember somewhere that they don't, but I can't see to find the proper passage in the book.

Leave a comment:

• TheStray7
    replied
    Originally posted by Fidchel View Post
    Hello! I've started a new game recently and I'm having a little trouble wrapping my brain around how True Fae are supposed to work in 2E, specifically the relationship between their Titles, Regalia, and Tells

The Title of a Fae gets a Tell for that Title, but does it have tells for each of the Regalia that Title can use? Or does the physical manifestation of the Regalia not have to be on the Title's person, like if it left it back in its territory in Arcadia while traipsing about in the real world? Also, does each Title need a separate manifestation for a Regalia, or can two of a True Fae's Titles have the same Regalia Token, i.e. does the Token belong to the Title, or does it belong to the Name and all the Titles can use whatever the Name owns?

Mostly, I just need to know if I need to put a Crown on a cat when my Keeper is trying to be innocuous in the real world.

Also, when a Keeper places its Title within a Huntsman, can that Title still manifest independently of the Huntsman, or is that Title effectively possessing the Huntsman and unable to act separately? So, can my Keeper dispatch a Huntsman and still go visit her neighbor for tea, or is the Keeper with/inside the Huntsman?

As I understand it (and someone better versed can correct me if I'm wrong), the True Fae has a number of Pact items, each one representing one Regalia that the True Fae can use in any of its forms. The Regalia do not need to accompany the Fae when it goes traipsing around...unless carrying said Regalia item with one of its Titles is part of whatever pact the True Fae made. The "items" don't have to be objects -- they can apparently incarnate as anything that resonates with whatever the Regalia is about -- they mention a cliffside representing Sword because it symbolizes strength and forthrightness. The Regalia have Tells that can be identified, so if one can learn the details of the pact that ties the Regalia to the name, they could mess with it. It seems that Regalia items are tied to the Name, not the Title.

Also, I asked before about Huntsmen and Titles, and apparently the Title is still usable by the Gentry in question while it has a Huntsman out tied to it...I think it was said that the bit that's imbued in the Huntsman is whatever Aspiration lead to a particular Title being a Keeper in the first place. A Title can only imbue one Huntsman at a time, but it's still its own separate entity.

Leave a comment:

• Fidchel
    replied
    Hello! I've started a new game recently and I'm having a little trouble wrapping my brain around how True Fae are supposed to work in 2E, specifically the relationship between their Titles, Regalia, and Tells

The Title of a Fae gets a Tell for that Title, but does it have tells for each of the Regalia that Title can use? Or does the physical manifestation of the Regalia not have to be on the Title's person, like if it left it back in its territory in Arcadia while traipsing about in the real world? Also, does each Title need a separate manifestation for a Regalia, or can two of a True Fae's Titles have the same Regalia Token, i.e. does the Token belong to the Title, or does it belong to the Name and all the Titles can use whatever the Name owns?

Mostly, I just need to know if I need to put a Crown on a cat when my Keeper is trying to be innocuous in the real world.

Also, when a Keeper places its Title within a Huntsman, can that Title still manifest independently of the Huntsman, or is that Title effectively possessing the Huntsman and unable to act separately? So, can my Keeper dispatch a Huntsman and still go visit her neighbor for tea, or is the Keeper with/inside the Huntsman?
    Last edited by Fidchel; 02-08-2020, 01:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Shadowdragon View Post
    Are there rules for forcing a Hedge Gate closed? One that someone else opened or one that is typically permanently open? I know Changelings can force open a Gate by spending Glamour, but can the same be done to force them closed again, or should it be harder to close a Gate than to open one?
    There are not, because the normal state of affairs is that they're open for less than a minute at a time — usually if one's open for longer than that it's because something is holding it open, which needs to be stopped from doing so for it to close again.

Leave a comment:

• Shadowdragon
    replied
    Are there rules for forcing a Hedge Gate closed? One that someone else opened or one that is typically permanently open? I know Changelings can force open a Gate by spending Glamour, but can the same be done to force them closed again, or should it be harder to close a Gate than to open one?

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    I'm starting up a new changeling chronicle soon, my first one actually, and I'm just wondering, considering how difficult it is to even give Wyrd 1 characters Clarity damage, and how easy it is to get rid of it, how can you even get characters to the point where they gain Clarity Conditions.
    Lower Max Clarity means it takes less damage to start applying Clarity Conditions in addition to there being less wiggle room between "you have a bonus to Perception rolls" and "you have a penalty to Perception rolls and also may start hallucinating on a dramatic failure."

For a Wyrd 1 character is it only one damage die regardless if it's killing your touchstone or meeting your fetch for the first time?
    It's a base of one damage die. Conditions and Touchstone detachment add damage dice.

This is how the Hedge's relation to Clarity gets tricky: The Clarity attack rolls from things that aren't part of the Hedge lose a die, but the Clarity damage rolls remain as normal, and the Hedge is prone to giving Conditions of the sort that add damage dice, so breaking points become that much more of a gamble.

Gaining any non-Clarity Condition that spooks you or confuses your senses (which can include the Conditions on the Clarity Condition list coming from sources other than marking your last three Clarity boxes) is a Clarity attack with a base roll of two dice. In addition, the following Conditions add dice to Clarity damage rolls:
    • Amnesia (+2)
    • Awestruck (+1)
    • Berserk (+1)
    • Cowed (+1)
    • Demoralized (+1)
    • Disoriented (+1)
    • Frightened (+1)
    • Glamour Addicted (+1)
    • Goblin Queen (+2)
    • Hedge Denizen (+1)
    • Hunted (+1)
    • Lost (+1)
    • Oathbreaker (+1)
    • Paranoid (+1)
    • Ravaged (+1)

Nothing directly in the system apart from the effects of the Hedge and the table of modifiers on page 104 affects the Clarity attack roll; attached Touchstones subtract dice from the damage roll, and having severe damage in the related boxes detaches Touchstones until they're all detached, at which point you add two more dice to Clarity damage rolls instead.

What this means for a starting character is that mild damage is more likely than severe damage and less extreme in calm circumstances, but with a shorter Clarity track (average Attributes give you a maximum of 5 or 6 boxes), you're more likely to be dealing with normal Clarity Conditions and hallucinations while you adjust to life back on Earth; lower Glamour maximums means you're more likely to spend all of it in one day if you're spending it with any frequency, having your promises broken or being lied to or getting confused is a commonplace thing in an newly-unfamiliar place, and so on — you'll be getting minor pings regularly, including from your seeming-specific breaking point.

Confused, Dissociation, Distracted, Shaken, Spooked, and Withdrawn are all relatively straightforward to resolve (and heal some Clarity by doing so), but the ones that aren't "discharge this Condition by causing a problem" apply moderate penalties that make it harder for a character to act gregariously and with their wits about them.

When things are going well for a new changeling, they can get by well enough on account of having a chance die on Clarity damage rolls and no extra frailties, but depending on your Touchstones for Clarity when there's things after you and the world is a weird and scary place is a good way to have those Touchstones endangered unless you escalate in kind; taking charge and otherwise pursuing the negative modifiers for Clarity attack rolls is the main way you push back against mounting bonus dice to the damage roll from Conditions.

It takes some cooperation from the players, but that's true for all the ChroD games — their responsibilities include highlighting their characters' weaknesses, making decisions that create drama, and confronting the problems you introduce as the ST.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    I was also wondering: do successes on the Clarity attack roll carry add dice to the damage roll?
    No.

Why even have separate attack and damage rolls for this? Why not just have it something like Breaking Point value + Wyrd +/- Touchstone modifier +/- misc modifiers and have the result be the Clarity damage done. Seems a lot quicker and less complicated.
    Because that would mean high Wyrd characters would start failing their rolls a lot more often than low Wyrd characters for no proper reason. The devs wanted to divorce how often you fail and take damage with how much damage you take when failing.
    It works in combat because a success is a hit, and a better hit (more successes) means it should deal more damage. For Clarity attacks, what determines how likely you are to succeed or fail isn't supposed to determine how badly you fail. A high Wits+Composure individual with multiple Icons and Touchstones is likely to stave off the breaking point, but if they're high Wyrd it means that when they fail it's going to hit them a lot harder. You can't have that if you combine those two factors into one roll. (Unless you add a "weapon modifier" to the Clarity attack roll, but then you lose out on how variable the damage might be, and also more prone to take more damage if you're more prone to fail the roll, and vice versa.)

Leave a comment:

• Shadowdragon
    replied
    I'm starting up a new changeling chronicle soon, my first one actually, and I'm just wondering, considering how difficult it is to even give Wyrd 1 characters Clarity damage, and how easy it is to get rid of it, how can you even get characters to the point where they gain Clarity Conditions. Hopefully during the campaign it'll be different than I think, but currently unless I trap the characters in the Hedge for extended periods, I just can't see Clarity ever becoming a real issue. Is it supposed to be that Clarity is a non-issue for low Wyrd Changelings and is only supposed to be a problem for higher Wyrd Changelings?

I was also wondering: do successes on the Clarity attack roll carry add dice to the damage roll? Or is it really the same amount of damage no matter how bad the trigger was? For a Wyrd 1 character is it only one damage die regardless if it's killing your touchstone or meeting your fetch for the first time? I know you get different amounts of dice for the attack roll, but the fact they all do the same damage just doesn't seem right. Why even have separate attack and damage rolls for this? Why not just have it something like Breaking Point value + Wyrd +/- Touchstone modifier +/- misc modifiers and have the result be the Clarity damage done. Seems a lot quicker and less complicated.
    Last edited by Shadowdragon; 01-22-2020, 08:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Is it supposed to be super easy to heal Clarity damage?
    At first, sure. Easy maintenance is still maintenance, and raising Wyrd and picking up Icons increases the frequency with which you are liable to suffer minor Clarity attacks even without Clarity attacks coming from things as simple as getting lost.

The rules make it seem like all one has to do is spend a couple scenes with a Touchstone and you can eliminate all Clarity damage.
    Yeah. Those are scenes you're spending not dealing with other problems and also scenes you're spending in the presence of one of the things it badly hurts you to lose access to or lose outright.

What's the point of Contracts like Fortifying Presence (which is a Royal Contract that costs 2 Glamour just to heal 2 mild or 1 severe Clarity damage) if Clarity damage is so easy to get rid of by mundane means?
    Because Fortifying Presence works with anybody anywhere. You can be miles into the Hedge and far away from the target's fetch or ex or pet occultist and Fortifying Presence still does the thing that it does as long as you hit its very broad trigger criteria.

I was expecting Clarity damage to require something like weeks of intense therapy. Am I missing something, or is Clarity really that much of a non-issue?
    Clarity damage is relatively simple to resolve. Clarity Conditions, meanwhile? Well, go check the Appendix to see what it takes to get rid of some of the Persistent Clarity Conditions.

Leave a comment:

• Shadowdragon
    replied
    Is it supposed to be super easy to heal Clarity damage? The rules make it seem like all one has to do is spend a couple scenes with a Touchstone and you can eliminate all Clarity damage. There isn't even a "once per Chapter" limitation or anything. What's the point of Contracts like Fortifying Presence (which is a Royal Contract that costs 2 Glamour just to heal 2 mild or 1 severe Clarity damage) if Clarity damage is so easy to get rid of by mundane means? I was expecting Clarity damage to require something like weeks of intense therapy. Am I missing something, or is Clarity really that much of a non-issue?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X