Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Saw that this is one of the few boards that didn't have one of these. And since Changeling is only rivaled by Mage in the "you will encounter loopholes, fringe circumstances and weirdness" category, I'm thinking it could definitely use one of these.

I'll probably be asking more questions than I ever get the knowledge to answer, personally, but there are a lot of smart, informed people on this board who can contribute, like ArcaneArts , Charlaquin, White Oak Dragon, etc.

So, to start off the board, here's my first question.

A mortal in the Hedge is in a bad way, but what happens to them if a Changeling with a Mien that is easily hideable even when exposed follows them through a hedge gate right into their Hollow? Depending on the Hollow, could they not even realize they're somewhere magical? Or does the Hedge call to them still?

• Unahim
    replied
    Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
    I apologise if its something thats been answered before but can hobgobelins leave the hedge?

I dont recall ever reading an example of it happening but there alos technically nothing stopping it that im aware of.

If it can happen,
    Do they gain a mask?
    Is there a risk to not returning to the hedge fast enough?
    There are probably a few other questions im not thinking of right now.

Thank you in advance for your help
    This question is answered quite thoroughly on p. 253 of the Changeling: The Lost, 2nd edition book. Under the heading "Advantages and Frailties". The short version is: yes, they can leave the Hedge, but they're not going to be feeling very good in Ironsides. Without special magic they vanish back to the Hedge within a day, and more powerfuls Hobs need to keep a piece of the Hedge with them at all times.

Leave a comment:

• Maitrecorbo
    replied
    I apologise if its something thats been answered before but can hobgobelins leave the hedge?

I dont recall ever reading an example of it happening but there alos technically nothing stopping it that im aware of.

If it can happen,
    Do they gain a mask?
    Is there a risk to not returning to the hedge fast enough?
    There are probably a few other questions im not thinking of right now.

Thank you in advance for your help

Leave a comment:

• The Throne
    replied
    Originally posted by Unahim View Post

AFB at the moment so I can't check the language of the rules for an exact interpretation on whether it is rules legal or not, but assuming there's nothing outright disallowing it I'd probably allow it. Of course, as stated, Wyrd can impose harsher penalties than the default when a seal is broken if there's certain circumstances involved (the example being making multiple promises that break one another when kept). Sealing your own statements would certainly be such a circumstance in my eyes. So if anything does happen to make it difficult or impossible to keep your promise (and as a ST I would, of course, milk this excellent source of drama and excitement and make sure this sort of thing happens ) you might be looking at one big, whopping penalty as Wyrd's wrath comes crashing down on you. You were so certain of your word that you sealed your own promise, after all, how come you didn't keep it?

So possible, perhaps, but "simple and clean"? No such thing when Wyrd gets involved!
    Totally agree!

Leave a comment:

• Unahim
    replied
    Originally posted by The Throne View Post
    It is possible, auto-seal an own statement?
    For reap a beat for the promise, simple and clean.
    AFB at the moment so I can't check the language of the rules for an exact interpretation on whether it is rules legal or not, but assuming there's nothing outright disallowing it I'd probably allow it. Of course, as stated, Wyrd can impose harsher penalties than the default when a seal is broken if there's certain circumstances involved (the example being making multiple promises that break one another when kept). Sealing your own statements would certainly be such a circumstance in my eyes. So if anything does happen to make it difficult or impossible to keep your promise (and as a ST I would, of course, milk this excellent source of drama and excitement and make sure this sort of thing happens ) you might be looking at one big, whopping penalty as Wyrd's wrath comes crashing down on you. You were so certain of your word that you sealed your own promise, after all, how come you didn't keep it?

So possible, perhaps, but "simple and clean"? No such thing when Wyrd gets involved!

Leave a comment:

• The Throne
    replied
    It is possible, auto-seal an own statement?
    For reap a beat for the promise, simple and clean.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Originally posted by gardenminttea View Post
    Does "Area of Expertise" apply when "Interdisciplinary Specialty" is being used? Say somebody chose Expression (Acting) and used it to apply to a Subterfuge roll, would the bonus from Area of Expertise still apply?
    There's no reason why it wouldn't.

Leave a comment:

• gardenminttea
    replied
    Does "Area of Expertise" apply when "Interdisciplinary Specialty" is being used? Say somebody chose Expression (Acting) and used it to apply to a Subterfuge roll, would the bonus from Area of Expertise still apply?

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

I mean, the topic strayed from converting 1e Kiths to 2e into making new kiths a while back. and I wasn't sure if seven months since the last post was long enough to be called thread necromancy.
    I'm pretty sure it's not going to be an issue as long as everything is on topic and it's of significance to the thread.

It'll be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

...I don't see why it would be an issue to revive the existing one? Especially if the newest post should still be relevant to its OP topic?

I mean, the topic strayed from converting 1e Kiths to 2e into making new kiths a while back. and I wasn't sure if seven months since the last post was long enough to be called thread necromancy.

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    Should we revive the Kith Conversion (2e) thread or make a new thread for homebrew kiths?
    ...I don't see why it would be an issue to revive the existing one? Especially if the newest post should still be relevant to its OP topic?

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Should we revive the Kith Conversion (2e) thread or make a new thread for homebrew kiths?

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    I really do feel it's important to remember that all available evidence suggests that Faerie being less like a myth than an acid trip is more a function of changelings struggling with Clarity in the same way that mages having Inferior Arcana doesn't actually limit the abilities of Supernal beings from a given Realm — the Law of Patterns is more than just "you can figure the pattern of a domain out," it's "you can figure the pattern of a domain out because there are rules, signs, and metaphors that govern that pattern."

The most abstract and esoteric gameline in the Chronicles of Darkness concerns itself with the changeover point between the abstract and the concrete, and the fae do not quite inhabit that extreme of the scale. Elementals draw upon elements informed by the Regalia of the Sword and the examples suggested by various Elemental seeming boons for other Contracts, and weirder manifestations are less certain for a reason.
    Fair and correct.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    And curtailing some of the odd ends, Primal/Primordial forces and phenomenon that a Stranger would define. Passive attention or lack of attention don't quite make up the sorts of things a Stranger will make Elementals of. If a Keeper envisions a rocky-and lava-strewn world and creates their domain to the purview of their Title, and Gravity isn't a thing they mention, that doesn't mean that there's no gravity there, but it also doesn't mean you of course have Gravity Elementals on occasion.

The fundamentals of the aesthetic, the formative elements that is then detailed upon-that's the Elementals. The True Fae do not paint worlds with color but with fire and shadow and teddy bears, and it is those "paints" that make up the Elemental Cast.
    I really do feel it's important to remember that all available evidence suggests that Faerie being less like a myth than an acid trip is more a function of changelings struggling with Clarity in the same way that mages having Inferior Arcana doesn't actually limit the abilities of Supernal beings from a given Realm — the Law of Patterns is more than just "you can figure the pattern of a domain out," it's "you can figure the pattern of a domain out because there are rules, signs, and metaphors that govern that pattern."

The most abstract and esoteric gameline in the Chronicles of Darkness concerns itself with the changeover point between the abstract and the concrete, and the fae do not quite inhabit that extreme of the scale. Elementals draw upon elements informed by the Regalia of the Sword and the examples suggested by various Elemental seeming boons for other Contracts, and weirder manifestations are less certain for a reason.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    And to avoid confusing the issue:

Primal/primordial forces and phenomena is the key here — there's a reason most of the literature's examples of elementals focus on relatively simple things. Elementals were blunt instruments and power sources, and their blessing typically reflects that.
    Yes, extremely important here, thank you.

And curtailing some of the odd ends, Primal/Primordial forces and phenomenon that a Stranger would define. Passive attention or lack of attention don't quite make up the sorts of things a Stranger will make Elementals of. If a Keeper envisions a rocky-and lava-strewn world and creates their domain to the purview of their Title, and Gravity isn't a thing they mention, that doesn't mean that there's no gravity there, but it also doesn't mean you of course have Gravity Elementals on occasion.

The fundamentals of the aesthetic, the formative elements that is then detailed upon-that's the Elementals. The True Fae do not paint worlds with color but with fire and shadow and teddy bears, and it is those "paints" that make up the Elemental Cast.

EDIT: Taking this out of theory though, what counts as an element? Whatever the Storyteller and play group think will be engaging without being highly obnoxious in execution.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X