Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Saw that this is one of the few boards that didn't have one of these. And since Changeling is only rivaled by Mage in the "you will encounter loopholes, fringe circumstances and weirdness" category, I'm thinking it could definitely use one of these.

I'll probably be asking more questions than I ever get the knowledge to answer, personally, but there are a lot of smart, informed people on this board who can contribute, like ArcaneArts , Charlaquin, White Oak Dragon, etc.

So, to start off the board, here's my first question.

A mortal in the Hedge is in a bad way, but what happens to them if a Changeling with a Mien that is easily hideable even when exposed follows them through a hedge gate right into their Hollow? Depending on the Hollow, could they not even realize they're somewhere magical? Or does the Hedge call to them still?

• GourmetBrickWall
    replied
    Haven't read anything specifically mentioning glamour. There are a bunch of neat side effects that could be interpreted to give glamour; for example, making a bargain with a human is left ambiguous- the most clarifying statement being that a one-to-three dot merit is appropriate for a changeling to ask for in return. Some ling merits specify assisting in glamour (goblin bounty gives fruits which gives glamour); if it were my game, I'd certainly allow something like the 1e version.

But no- just looked over it again. Nothing specific about glamour; the biggest mention is the ability to swap willpower and glamour once per chapter.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Can 2e Pledges/Oaths still grant Glamour as a reward for completing your task?

Leave a comment:

• GourmetBrickWall
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    It's entirely in line with the fairy tale headspace of Contracts and the concept doesn't include any specifications that would disqualify it (though in action timing it might be a bit of a stretch to shortcut past needing to put on armor), so basically, yeah.
    That's what makes the 2e version even more epic- with an exceptional, you can perma-buy the form and make it reflexive for a glamour. Not to mention you can get it at char. creation. I figured blades and armor would be allowed, but didn't know if guns like sniper rifles would be too advanced.

It also brings several awesome roleplay capabilities. Since YOU aren't performing actions to attack/defend, your actions are free. A playmate could help their owner as a suit of protective armor, using their kith talent and contracts. A bright one could be a blazing sword. A leechfinger could turn into a suit of armor around an enemy and slowly drain the life from them.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by GourmetBrickWall View Post
    My question is:
    could one use these contracts to become a weapon like a large blade? A suit of armor around someone? A sniper rifle?

Because the idea of making a pledge with someone and becoming weapon/wielder partners is something so fantastical that I desperately want to play it.
    It's entirely in line with the fairy tale headspace of Contracts and the concept doesn't include any specifications that would disqualify it (though in action timing it might be a bit of a stretch to shortcut past needing to put on armor), so basically, yeah.

Leave a comment:

• GourmetBrickWall
    replied
    Both 1e and 2e lost have contracts that allow changelings to become something inanimate (Chrysalis in 1e, Props and Scenery in 2e).

1e specifically states that the object has to be relatively simple (the most complex example given is a clock). 2e doesn't really specify.

My question is:
    could one use these contracts to become a weapon like a large blade? A suit of armor around someone? A sniper rifle?

Because the idea of making a pledge with someone and becoming weapon/wielder partners is something so fantastical that I desperately want to play it.
    Last edited by GourmetBrickWall; Yesterday, 04:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Khanwulf
    replied
    Originally posted by Ventrue Life View Post
    I'm not sure if this is answered somewhere already, but here's a question:

Does the Changeling's Mask automatically (without strengthening it with Glamour) work towards creatures other than humans? For example vampires, werewolves, demons? Do they see the changeling's Mask by default or do they see his Mien by default?

The book says "Fae beings and other supernatural creatures with mystical senses can see through the Mask.", but I'm not sure if that means all vampires can automatically see changelings for what they really are, or only those using vampires using Auspex.

There's been some conversation on the topic but let me briefly summarize what has been logically concluded (whether to full satisfaction or not is another matter):

1. The Mask is in place for other supernaturals.
    2. Other supernatural abilities that pierce deception do so normally.
    3. A powerstat-contested roll may not apply unless the Changeling is using a specific ability (Glamour, Contract, etc.) to strengthen their Mask.

So, Changeling X may look normal-ish, but they will smell off to a werewolf's supernatural senses, and "ping" as supernatural and whatever else to Auspex.

My impression is that a Changeling really ought to think about how they're hiding from someone (their Keeper, and Huntsmen) and conduct themselves accordingly. Incidental to this point is that if the setting is crossover they are going to stand out to other supernaturals whe are looking for unusual things... and that can get bad in a hurry. A wise Changeling (one almost as paranoid as a Demon) would wander about with Contracts in place to disguise their, oh--briney scent and trailing tentacles or whatnot.

--Khanwulf

Leave a comment:

• Ventrue Life
    replied
    I'm not sure if this is answered somewhere already, but here's a question:

Does the Changeling's Mask automatically (without strengthening it with Glamour) work towards creatures other than humans? For example vampires, werewolves, demons? Do they see the changeling's Mask by default or do they see his Mien by default?

The book says "Fae beings and other supernatural creatures with mystical senses can see through the Mask.", but I'm not sure if that means all vampires can automatically see changelings for what they really are, or only those using vampires using Auspex.
    Last edited by Ventrue Life; 03-21-2019, 11:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ventrue Life
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

Victorian Lost is from 1st Edition Changeling, IIRC
    Ah I misremembered. I thought Victorian Lost was in Dark Eras but what's in Dark Eras is the 'Grimm Dark Era', same time period, but covers 19th century Europe in general rather than focussed on Victorian England.
    I just bought the Victorian Lost PDF. I hope I won't regret my purchase.

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Originally posted by Ventrue Life View Post
    Here's a simple question about the contents of a book.

I already have Dark Eras and the Dark Eras Companion. I saw there is a Victorian Lost book, but Victorian Lost is also covered in Dark Eras. Does the separate Victorian Lost book contain any content that isn't in the Dark Eras book, or is it exactly the same content?

Given that I already have Dark Eras, should I buy Victorian Lost or would that be a waste of money?

Victorian Lost is from 1st Edition Changeling, IIRC

Leave a comment:

• Ventrue Life
    replied
    Here's a simple question about the contents of a book.

I already have Dark Eras and the Dark Eras Companion. I saw there is a Victorian Lost book, but Victorian Lost is also covered in Dark Eras. Does the separate Victorian Lost book contain any content that isn't in the Dark Eras book, or is it exactly the same content?

Given that I already have Dark Eras, should I buy Victorian Lost or would that be a waste of money?

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    As presented in the book, they tend to hypocritically use any form of fae magic that will help them with their main goal: destroying and suppressing both anything fae and anything that attracts the fae, including dreams, art, creativity, beauty and imagination

As Icons give them more Clarity, strengthening their minds against the horrible things they do, i think they will pursue their icons just as much as any other Changeling

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Originally posted by Extant Reality View Post
    So if Bridge-burners are still a thing and they don't want anything to do with the Hedge and what not, wouldn't that make them hate Icons, thus turning them into Iconoclasts as well?
    They might not want to use their own Icons as to not get bad memories back, but only the most extreme would actively seek out and destory Icons.

Leave a comment:

• Extant Reality
    replied
    So if Bridge-burners are still a thing and they don't want anything to do with the Hedge and what not, wouldn't that make them hate Icons, thus turning them into Iconoclasts as well?

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    Are characters who become a Goblin King / Queen still playable, or does the transformation make them too alien to function properly as a playable character, anymore?
    Nah they're still playable as PCs. Especially considering the result of the exit condition is turning back into a regular changeling.

Continue being fabulous and dance the magic dance!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X