Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Saw that this is one of the few boards that didn't have one of these. And since Changeling is only rivaled by Mage in the "you will encounter loopholes, fringe circumstances and weirdness" category, I'm thinking it could definitely use one of these.

I'll probably be asking more questions than I ever get the knowledge to answer, personally, but there are a lot of smart, informed people on this board who can contribute, like ArcaneArts , Charlaquin, White Oak Dragon, etc.

So, to start off the board, here's my first question.

A mortal in the Hedge is in a bad way, but what happens to them if a Changeling with a Mien that is easily hideable even when exposed follows them through a hedge gate right into their Hollow? Depending on the Hollow, could they not even realize they're somewhere magical? Or does the Hedge call to them still?

• Anteros
    replied
    Can changelings using Whispers of Mornin and Helldiving float or fly or can they only walk? They're described as weightless and immaterial, but it's a bit vague to me.

Leave a comment:

• Anteros
    replied
    Thanks for answering!

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Anteros View Post
    When I use a contract such as Riddle-kith on my own character instead of using it on another character, do I still need to roll? What about using Discreet Summons to summon an object rather than a Hobgoblin?
    The fact that Riddle-Kith lists its action-type as "instant or contested" would seem to indicate that you don't roll Composure + Wyrd against the Contract, but you do still roll for the Contract. Ditto for Discreet Summons, which contrasts the action-type for summoning an object and summoning a hobgoblin (and provides a means of waiving the hobgoblin's Composure roll as well).

One of the benefits of dropping the Mask is that any successfully-rolled Contract counts as an exceptional success, and for that to work, you need to make the roll; unrolled Contracts get a different benefit.

Leave a comment:

• Anteros
    replied
    When I use a contract such as Riddle-kith on my own character instead of using it on another character, do I still need to roll? What about using Discreet Summons to summon an object rather than a Hobgoblin?

Leave a comment:

• 21C Hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
    Not sure of where to post this...
    Do you think fetches are able to "produce" a regular ghost at death?
    Dunno if we had official wording somewhere in a book, but we already have ghosts of animals, objects, still-living persons, and whatever Chthonians and Shades are, so I’d say yes.

Now, how would they differ from ‘normal’ ghosts is another matter… maybe they resemble Hedge Ghosts.

Or maybe, in contrast with the above, they can’t leave ghosts, because they’re already a type of ghost, shed from the changeling. That’d make them a strange type of a doppelgänger, the ‘ghosts of still-living persons’ mentioned above.

And isn’t “fetch” used as another word for “doppelganger” somewhere? Hmm…

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied
    Not sure of where to post this...
    Do you think fetches are able to "produce" a regular ghost at death?

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    "Upon activation" means it costs Glamour if you don't use the Catch.
    You are probably right, my confusion springs by the interchangable use of the words "upon activation" and "he may spend 1 Glamour to"

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied

The baron seal
    "Upon activation in the mundane world, the Baron automatically learns where the closest existing Hedge gate is, active or dormant."
    For example, doesn t lista a Glamour cost and isn t conditional.
    I m reading it correctly?
    "Upon activation" means it costs Glamour if you don't use the Catch.

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied
    Some of those effects are Conditional upon the changeling keeping up with their duties — they're more things the changeling can do with the token as part of their role than abilities of the token in general.

It would be prudent not to take "a token does one thing and does it well" to mean "tokens can only have one effect" when the rules for tokens combining more than one simple effect on the chart are on the same page.

The Last Key's passive once-per-day detection of people that mean its bearer deadly harm is the only one I can see.
    The baron seal
    "Upon activation in the mundane world, the Baron automatically learns where the closest existing Hedge gate is, active or dormant."
    For example, doesn t lista a Glamour cost and isn t conditional.
    I m reading it correctly?

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Am i wrong or does Entitlement s token slightly deviates from normal Tokens rules?
    They all have multiple effects,
    Some of those effects are Conditional upon the changeling keeping up with their duties — they're more things the changeling can do with the token as part of their role than abilities of the token in general.

It would be prudent not to take "a token does one thing and does it well" to mean "tokens can only have one effect" when the rules for tokens combining more than one simple effect on the chart are on the same page.

and if i m reading it rightly some of the effects can be activated without a Glamour cost.
    It is correct to assume that Glamour free effects could be activated by a mortal without using the Catch?
    The Last Key's passive once-per-day detection of people that mean its bearer deadly harm is the only one I can see.

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied
    Am i wrong or does Entitlement s token slightly deviates from normal Tokens rules?
    They all have multiple effects, and if i m reading it rightly some of the effects can be activated without a Glamour cost.
    It is correct to assume that Glamour free effects could be activated by a mortal without using the Catch?

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    Originally posted by Tessie View Post
    I don't know how Changeling describes Integrity, but other games straight up says that merely witnessing the supernatural is a breaking point. And I think it should be for anyone who isn't already aware that the supernatural exists.
    I ended up scouring the book to double-check, and although Integrity is mentioned multiple times in Changeling, the rules for Breaking Points aren't reprinted. In fact, different books say different things about them, reframed for the context of their gamelines (such as through the lens of Lunacy for Werewolf or Quiescence for Mage). According to Beast, mortals experience breaking points from "witnessing something traumatic, terrifying, or that rattles understanding of the world," or are "the victim of a supernatural attack," while Mummy truncates this to "exposure to supernatural forces." Because mortals automatically gain Spooked (a possible Condition to suffer when encountering a Breaking Point) when exposed to a fae Mien, I was wondering if that was meant to replicate the situation. (Uh oh, is this another "invisible and intangible" problem?)

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    I don't know how Changeling describes Integrity, but other games straight up says that merely witnessing the supernatural is a breaking point. And I think it should be for anyone who isn't already aware that the supernatural exists.

If the changeling appears biologically impossible in ways that can't be explained away with advanced make up, then anyone who sees the changeling will have their understanding of the world broken (unless their understanding of the world already includes the supernatural, which it should for most Fae-Touched and humans with Supernatural Merits). Dropping the mask in front of humans also makes them accutely aware of the transformation of someone they thought human, making it impossible to explain it away as make up or other special effects.

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
    Do mortals who see a changeling without their Mask suffer a Breaking Point? (Asking because of the built-in Spooked Condition.)
    My take from another thread:
    I think it's reasonable to say that witnessing an unMasked changeling is not consistently a breaking point against Integrity, given ChroD Core's guidelines of "witness[ing] something traumatic, terrifying, or that rattles [your] understanding of the world" or "[being] the victim of a supernatural attack, whether physical, emotional, or mental."

(The encounter might go on to induce breaking points from those things, and seeing the actual act of burning away the Mask might itself be distressing, but just seeing a person with pointy ears and bug-eyes walking around less so.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X