Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Saw that this is one of the few boards that didn't have one of these. And since Changeling is only rivaled by Mage in the "you will encounter loopholes, fringe circumstances and weirdness" category, I'm thinking it could definitely use one of these.

I'll probably be asking more questions than I ever get the knowledge to answer, personally, but there are a lot of smart, informed people on this board who can contribute, like ArcaneArts , Charlaquin, White Oak Dragon, etc.

So, to start off the board, here's my first question.

A mortal in the Hedge is in a bad way, but what happens to them if a Changeling with a Mien that is easily hideable even when exposed follows them through a hedge gate right into their Hollow? Depending on the Hollow, could they not even realize they're somewhere magical? Or does the Hedge call to them still?

• Taidragon
    replied
    Probably, but you may find the items are sympathetic for Strix possession since... well, it’s of them.

Alternatively it works and there are no issues from it since it is a weapon bound to your service, not theirs. It may even be more potent than normal, or alive... or even a legitimate way to make a Token dark sword with hunger, or a particularly dangerous Eldritch Entitlement. There are interesting things to do with it.

...dangit, now I have to make a Blackthorne entitlement...

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    So if it's not infeasible for a changeling to make a tool out of shadows, and the Strix are at least nominally shadows, does it then compute that you could make fae items out of a Strix?

Like, obviously there's a lot between Have Crazy Idea and actually Execute Crazy Idea that makes it unlikely, but in concept.

(This idea hit me randomly and doesn't want to leave. This is more to get it out of my head than any serious questioning.)

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    Originally posted by Paradim View Post

When I read that about Bargains... I told my Beast player that he could probably have his character found a new Court for Changelings, likely when his character became Incarnate. Then paused, and added this would probably not be a good thing. Nor a desirable thing...
    I'm guessing they would feed on fear like the court of Autumn? And yeah, depending on how the court helps changelings stay safe from the Fae in terms of how members act, it could be a very bad thing indeed

Though, considering the beast be an incarnate for this to happen, and the effects on the Hedge that Beasts have on it (damn, I hope the theroretical storyteller supplement discusses things like that), the court should offer very powerful benefits at whatever costs its have

Leave a comment:

• Paradim
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    Yup. Weird side-effects may occur as well, but vampires et al aren't fae-touched and therefore don't have a connection to the Wyrd screwing up the deal.

Incidentally, thank you for helping me cotton to why the capital-B Bargains of Courts also have to be done with non-fae entities.

When I read that about Bargains... I told my Beast player that he could probably have his character found a new Court for Changelings, likely when his character became Incarnate. Then paused, and added this would probably not be a good thing. Nor a desirable thing...

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Paradim View Post
    Does a Changeling gain the Obliged Condition when the person they swore a bargain with is some other supernatural creature, like a werewolf or mage?
    Yup. Weird side-effects may occur as well, but vampires et al aren't fae-touched and therefore don't have a connection to the Wyrd screwing up the deal.

Incidentally, thank you for helping me cotton to why the capital-B Bargains of Courts also have to be done with non-fae entities.

Leave a comment:

• Paradim
    replied
    Does a Changeling gain the Obliged Condition when the person they swore a bargain with is some other supernatural creature, like a werewolf or mage?

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    Given that the Elemental bonus specifically adds to the Wyrd of the target for the purposes of Clarity damage and both that bonus and the exceptional success result more directly use the term "Clarity attack," I'd say it's not direct damage.
    Ah, it seems that is right. Hmm, three rolls in a row? Yeesh. . . That said, the Contract does make for a good follow-up to Tumult. . . .

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
    A question of my own: The text for Thief of Reason says that the player rolls the successes on the Contract activation as a dice pool to attack a changeling's Clarity. Is this direct damage, or is it treated as a normal Clarity attack (ie, if the second roll is successful, the target's Wyrd is then rolled for damage)?
    Given that the Elemental bonus specifically adds to the Wyrd of the target for the purposes of Clarity damage and both that bonus and the exceptional success result more directly use the term "Clarity attack," I'd say it's not direct damage.

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    Should there be a -5 penalty to all rolls to act against a source of Cold Iron, in the same manner as other Major Frailties
    I believe so, since the specific wording says that cold iron acts as a Frailty Bane.

A question of my own: The text for Thief of Reason says that the player rolls the successes on the Contract activation as a dice pool to attack a changeling's Clarity. Is this direct damage, or is it treated as a normal Clarity attack (ie, if the second roll is successful, the target's Wyrd is then rolled for damage)?

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Should there be a -5 penalty to all rolls to act against a source of Cold Iron, in the same manner as other Major Frailties

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by Horodrigo View Post
    After reading some things about Arthur's Brittania (Changeling, Vampire, Hunter) I was wondering:

Is it possible for Vampires or Hunters to join a court? Specifically, is it possible for them to obtain Mantle or Court Goodwill?
    Fetches and fae-touched can't get a Mantle and the terms of Hedge Denizen and Goblin Queen specifically make your Mantle less effective, so I'm inclined to believe nothing that's not a changeling can have a Mantle.

Court Goodwill, maybe.

Leave a comment:

• Horodrigo
    replied
    After reading some things about Arthur's Brittania (Changeling, Vampire, Hunter) I was wondering:

Is it possible for Vampires or Hunters to join a court? Specifically, is it possible for them to obtain Mantle or Court Goodwill?

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by ruggedrock View Post
    Alright, I've got a simple one. Do video cameras (or camera functions on Smart Phones) work in the Hedge. I think I remember somewhere that they don't, but I can't see to find the proper passage in the book.
    Like any complex technology, there's more things that can go weird even before getting into conceptual messes like what a camera reveals about its subjects.

A video camera might work normally, but it's also possible that its screen or battery or lens might fail to work, or that the camera might show the scene around where you entered the Hedge or the inner turmoil of you-the-cameraperson or a speech a hobgoblin general gave in the area a month ago.

Technology in general isn't reliable in the Hedge, and the more things it needs to work properly, the less likely that it will.
    Last edited by Satchel; 02-10-2020, 04:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ruggedrock
    replied
    Alright, I've got a simple one. Do video cameras (or camera functions on Smart Phones) work in the Hedge. I think I remember somewhere that they don't, but I can't see to find the proper passage in the book.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X