Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Changeling Edition

Saw that this is one of the few boards that didn't have one of these. And since Changeling is only rivaled by Mage in the "you will encounter loopholes, fringe circumstances and weirdness" category, I'm thinking it could definitely use one of these.

I'll probably be asking more questions than I ever get the knowledge to answer, personally, but there are a lot of smart, informed people on this board who can contribute, like ArcaneArts , Charlaquin, White Oak Dragon, etc.

So, to start off the board, here's my first question.

A mortal in the Hedge is in a bad way, but what happens to them if a Changeling with a Mien that is easily hideable even when exposed follows them through a hedge gate right into their Hollow? Depending on the Hollow, could they not even realize they're somewhere magical? Or does the Hedge call to them still?

• Unahim
    replied
    Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
    Bear in mind that Extra Successes says assuming your roll succeeds, ie you check for success (and exceptional success) before you add those successes. This is a specific permutation overriding the general rule about resolving permutations before determining your result.
    Hmm... it could have been spelled out more clearly if it was supposed to change the order in which you apply it. But this seems to be the most sensible option, so I will go with it.

Leave a comment:

• HelmsDerp
    replied
    Bear in mind that Extra Successes says assuming your roll succeeds, ie you check for success (and exceptional success) before you add those successes. This is a specific permutation overriding the general rule about resolving permutations before determining your result.

Leave a comment:

• Unahim
    replied
    Originally posted by Neos01 View Post
    Or maybe a relevant tilt on the opponent
    We're actually discussing that here: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...d-attack-rolls

Guess it is better to not split the discussion if they're both sliding toward that anyway ^^ (TL;DR: I totally agree with you, Satchel thinks it is absurd.)

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied
    Originally posted by Unahim View Post

Yeah, but the default fall-back when no other option is listed is a Condition of the player's choice, with Inspired suggested as a default if you don't have a specific other idea.
    Or maybe a relevant tilt on the opponent

Leave a comment:

• Unahim
    replied
    True, but no books list exeptional success option for weapon attack if i remember correctly
    Yeah, but the default fall-back when no other option is listed is a Condition of the player's choice, with Inspired suggested as a default if you don't have a specific other idea.

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied

I've been looking, but can't find anything for or against it. :/

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. P. 176

"Extra successes" is listed under "permutations on the same page:

And as it points out, this means that a 4 or 5 damage weapon will always score an exceptional success on any hit.
    True, but no books list exeptional success option for weapon attack if i remember correctly

Leave a comment:

• Unahim
    replied
    I would say yes, but i can t find a source to confirm it
    I've been looking, but can't find anything for or against it. :/

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. P. 176
    Once you’ve rolled all the dice, counted all your successes, and finished any rerolls or other permutations, it’s time to see how your character fared.
    "Extra successes" is listed under "permutations on the same page:

Extra Successes: Assuming your roll succeeds, you
    get a number of extra successes added to your total.
    This permutation mostly applies to weapons, which
    add their damage bonus as extra successes on your
    attack roll
    And as it points out, this means that a 4 or 5 damage weapon will always score an exceptional success on any hit.
    Last edited by Unahim; 07-13-2019, 06:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Neos01
    replied
    If an effect adds "extra successes" to a roll, can it upgrade the result of that roll from a standard success to an exceptional one? (Seeing as you only get the extra successes if you don't fail?)
    I would say yes, but i can t find a source to confirm it

Leave a comment:

• Unahim
    replied
    If an effect adds "extra successes" to a roll, can it upgrade the result of that roll from a standard success to an exceptional one? (Seeing as you only get the extra successes if you don't fail?)
    Nobody? O.o I thought it was a simple enough question.

Also, is Inciting Bedlam always going to incur the "Using Glamour to force someone to change their behavior." Clarity Attack? (Well, not if you do it involuntarily I guess, since you use no Glamour then... Actually, if you use a Contract's Loophole, does that also mean it can't qualify for this?) Or is that only if you actively -force- them, rather than influencing their behaviour through their emotions? I'm leaning towards the latter, since people are not forced to behave a certain way if you change their emotions, they can still fully decide on their actions and ignore their emotions potentially?

Leave a comment:

• Unahim
    replied
    For instance:

Blessing of the Green (Spring)
    [fluff cut out]She may spend a point of Willpower to let one Lost
    (including herself) add her Mantle rating as bonus successes
    on a Glamour harvesting roll. [amount of times you can do this cut out]
    Extra Successes: Assuming your roll succeeds, you
    get a number of extra successes added to your total.
    There's many effects that work like this, can get it on attacks etc.

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    What sort of effect?

Leave a comment:

• Unahim
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mr.F.I.X.
    replied
    jmkoontz1980 I could definitely see it. That would fit also some bits mentioning humans getting lost in the hedge and becoming hobgoblins I swear I remember reading.

Leave a comment:

• jmkoontz1980
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post

Thank you, that is quite useful. I suspected it was first edition they were referancing but wasnt sure. Should be easy enough to port to 2e.

Looking at this system, I wonder if it would work for humans that find themselves in the Hedge as well - assuming they managed to survive for extended periods without getting eaten, killed, or captured.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X