Submitting Kiths?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
    I believe that she intends for them to be submitted using the regular open submissions process, and that if they're interested, they'll hire you.
    That's correct. If you're referring to the post I'm thinking of, what I meant was that kiths would make good writing samples for freelance writing in general, not that we're assembling player-made kiths for publication right now.

We also won't be hiring for the supplements for a little while yet.

Rose Bailey
    Onyx Path Development Producer
    Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
      I am thinking of submitting my banshee kith to see if it can be put in the Hunter's Chronicles rule book. I made some of the changes Deionscribe suggested. Anyone have any more suggestions or ideas?
      Banshee

Don’t ever laugh as a hearse goes by, for you may be the next to die.

Being immortals the True Fae are fascinated by death. Not just the concept of being extinguished/ceasing to be, but the emotions surrounding death.To understand death, the True Fae made an agreement with the five original Irish families to exchange one of their daughters who would experience and warn the Irish of an upcoming death. As the Irish intermarried with other races, this list came to include anyone who had an experience with death: Someone who lost a loved one, a survivor of a near death experience, or someone who has to live with the horror of a terminal illness growing in their bodies.
      Banshee’s Lament: Banshee’s can feel death around them. They see the death marks on mortals and experience a death up to a city block per level of wyrd. Once per scene, if a banshee looks at a target and spends a dot of glamor, that can give them a vision of their death. Any psychic who tries to read the banshee using telepathy or clairvoyance with be forced to experience all the deaths the banshee witnessed. Any any ghost that tries to possess the banshee will be forced to relive the agony of their death.

Darkling: Ghostly apparitions whose wail foretells your coming death.
      Fairest: Na mná fionna
      Wizened: The Washer Woman who cleans your blood stained clothes.
      A general thought: I'm not sure how long your kith is, as I'm checking this from my phone and can't easily see word count. That said, they've said before that most kiths are about 250 words long, so if you can edit them down to about that, you could probably submit a few as a single submission.

On the banshees, you should look them over again. You wouldn't want any extra anys detracting from an otherwise well done submission. I'll need to give a bit more thought to their blessing before I can give proper feedback.

Currently working on: [REDACTED]
      Projects I've contributed to: [REDACTED]

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post

That's correct. If you're referring to the post I'm thinking of, what I meant was that kiths would make good writing samples for freelance writing in general, not that we're assembling player-made kiths for publication right now.

We also won't be hiring for the supplements for a little while yet.
        Thank you for confirming that. I expected as much, but I didn't want to ask and become the freelancer equivalent of that kid in the backseat saying "Are we there yet?" every two minutes.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts White Oak Dragon. I really appreciate your feedback I agree that the description is too long. I just wanted to find a way to include the myths about the Banshees connection to the five original families of Ireland; the O’Grady’s, the O’Neills, the O’Longs, the McCnaimhins, the O’Briens, the O’ Conchobhairs, and the Caomhanachs

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts White Oak Dragon. I really appreciate your feedback I agree that the description is too long. I just wanted to find a way to include the myths about the Banshees connection to the five original families of Ireland; the O’Grady’s, the O’Neills, the O’Longs, the McCnaimhins, the O’Briens, the O’ Conchobhairs, and the Caomhanachs

It is an interesting story to be sure, but for 2E kiths, even the culturally specific kiths don't usually focus too much on the specific culture in the description. I'd say to go with a bit more of a general description showing how the Fae use them, rather than their historical spread. The touch of what makes the Gentry choose a banshee is a good one, and you should definitely keep that. You would need to make sure that you put the banshees into the same format as the other kiths. I'd also consider changing the Fairest description to make it a bit more evocative.

On the blessing: Banshees are traditionally known to foresee deaths and warn of them with their keening. As it stands right now, the keening doesn't come up except within the Darkling description. I'd find a way to incorporate the keening into the blessing. The trickiest part is that you'll need to find a way to bring in the death foresight without stomping on the toes of the Oracle kith. Perhaps the banshee can feel death coming in association with those they are bonded with in some way (connected through blood, Merit dots, or oaths, perhaps?). Maybe up to a number of days a way equal to Wyrd provided nothing changes? It would make it a little less useful for detecting violent deaths (given that the individual would be fine until they were badly injured), but good for telling when someone is dying by illness or poison. The keening might be able to fit in by spending a point of Glamour to give everyone with a similar connection to the individual a vision of the person's forthcoming death, giving them a turn of distraction followed by the Spooked Condition or something like that. You could also let them focus it on a specific individual in a more offensive capacity, by which I mean giving a person visions of their own death, not a sonic scream. Maybe in that case the distraction could be a penalty for the next turn equal to half Wyrd, followed by a Condition or Tilt. As the blessing stands now, it seems like it doesn't really have any specific mechanics to it, and rather just lets them automatically win against any psychics or possessing ghosts that target them. Neither of those seem particularly connected to the stories of the banshee, either. Those are just my thoughts on it. You're of course free to do with them what you please.

Comment

Thanks White Oak Dragon I will give your suggestion considerable thought. I hope you get a chance to work on your Cu Sith, soon.

Comment

Thanks White Oak Dragon I will give your suggestion considerable thought. I hope you get a chance to work on your Cu Sith, soon.
                No problem. And for what it's worth, I poked around at the Cu Sith a little this morning. I didn't do much with them, but I haven't abandoned them either.

Comment

I am hoping that you can use the Cu Sith to encourage the idea for a Changeling crossover book.

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

It is an interesting story to be sure, but for 2E kiths, even the culturally specific kiths don't usually focus too much on the specific culture in the description. I'd say to go with a bit more of a general description showing how the Fae use them, rather than their historical spread. The touch of what makes the Gentry choose a banshee is a good one, and you should definitely keep that. You would need to make sure that you put the banshees into the same format as the other kiths. I'd also consider changing the Fairest description to make it a bit more evocative.

On the blessing: Banshees are traditionally known to foresee deaths and warn of them with their keening. As it stands right now, the keening doesn't come up except within the Darkling description. I'd find a way to incorporate the keening into the blessing. The trickiest part is that you'll need to find a way to bring in the death foresight without stomping on the toes of the Oracle kith. Perhaps the banshee can feel death coming in association with those they are bonded with in some way (connected through blood, Merit dots, or oaths, perhaps?). Maybe up to a number of days a way equal to Wyrd provided nothing changes? It would make it a little less useful for detecting violent deaths (given that the individual would be fine until they were badly injured), but good for telling when someone is dying by illness or poison. The keening might be able to fit in by spending a point of Glamour to give everyone with a similar connection to the individual a vision of the person's forthcoming death, giving them a turn of distraction followed by the Spooked Condition or something like that. You could also let them focus it on a specific individual in a more offensive capacity, by which I mean giving a person visions of their own death, not a sonic scream. Maybe in that case the distraction could be a penalty for the next turn equal to half Wyrd, followed by a Condition or Tilt. As the blessing stands now, it seems like it doesn't really have any specific mechanics to it, and rather just lets them automatically win against any psychics or possessing ghosts that target them. Neither of those seem particularly connected to the stories of the banshee, either. Those are just my thoughts on it. You're of course free to do with them what you please.
                    I agree with your idea of the Banshee's blessing being changed to have keening wail that warns of an individuals upcoming death to all who care/know him. Are there some merits you could recommend?

Comment

I agree with your idea of the Banshee's blessing being changed to have keening wail that warns of an individuals upcoming death to all who care/know him. Are there some merits you could recommend?
                      As far as Merits go, Allies and True Friend would be the first ones to come to mind. There's probably some others that could work too, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

I am hoping that you can use the Cu Sith to encourage the idea for a Changeling crossover book.
                      The Crossover Chronicle is already planned for the future, so I don't think they need my little project to encourage them.
                      Last edited by White Oak Dragon; 03-01-2017, 02:47 AM.

Comment

I am hoping that if your Cu Sith are put in the crossover book, you can be encouraged to develop the concept of Cu Sith who had been captured Forsaken tribe werewolves given to the True Fae by the Pure Tribes or failed Pure tribe wolves given to the True Fae.

Comment

Hey White Oak Dragon, Do you have any thoughts on the character summaries I put up on Epic/Legendary Changeling? I might submit them at a later date.

Comment

Working...
                          X