Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are Emotions, Memories ect. used for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are Emotions, Memories ect. used for?

Can I as a character trick a mortal out of the memory of his/her first kiss and then use that to gain a power or forge a fae trinket because I read all the stories of fae trading for such things but they never seem to do anything with them expect in some cases where you can maybe read between the lines and they get more powerful. How would you go about using that in a game?

Don't know if there are Contracts that specifically let you take things like that, but I'd imagine they'd make good material for Hedgespun/Gossamer items. If they're perceived as valuable, they also make good trade stock at the Goblin Market.

Some ideas on what those things are used for:
    Pleasant dreams and memories are used for entertainment. Probably why sexual experiences and dreams are mentioned a lot.
    Negative experiences might be cobbled together into nightmares, poisons, or other nasty things to use against their enemies.
    They could be used as ingredients in just about any sort of magic item a fae creature can dream up.
    And, of course, a lot can probably be deconstructed into raw Glamour.

Comment

I just think it be a neat character archetype going around finding down on their luck people "For a little of your strength of arm and will maybe a memory or two I'll fix your problems a home to sleep in and food in your belly won't you shake my hand?"

Comment

Originally posted by BronzeDog View Post
        Negative experiences might be cobbled together into nightmares, poisons, or other nasty things to use against their enemies.
        ​Crossover idea; A Changeling that buys negative experiences to craft custom Nightmares for sale or trade with Beasts.(Primordials, not the Seeming)...

"A free society is one in which it is safe to be unpopular."
        I find Nick Spencer and Richard Spencer to be equally repulsive.

Comment

In 1e, being able to trade for things like that was a Goblin Market merit. Take that as you will in terms of ability to do that.

As for what the fae get out of it? Probably glamour. Feeding on dreams and emotions is generally a fae thing. I can see gormand fae engaging in trade over such forms of glamour.

Comment

A lot of the ephemeral things that True Fae bargain for become material in Arcadia. If you have a terrifying memory, and you form a pearl around it in your dreams to protect yourself, one of the Others might dive for it and set it in a necklace for her favorite Fairest.
            Last edited by Rose Bailey; 02-27-2017, 09:34 PM.

Rose Bailey
            Onyx Path Development Producer
            Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperspacewizard View Post
              Can I as a character trick a mortal out of the memory of his/her first kiss and then use that to gain a power or forge a fae trinket because I read all the stories of fae trading for such things but they never seem to do anything with them expect in some cases where you can maybe read between the lines and they get more powerful. How would you go about using that in a game?
              An example from a game that will happen sooner or later: one character is in a Goblin Market will come across a set of eyes she really likes, and will openly trade her first kiss for. She does so, goes into the back to get the eye swap. The other character who's there has a crush on the first, and the hob who just bought the first can tell-he can also tell that, as things stand, the first character does not feel the same way. So he makes a pitch, pointing out that first kisses tend to be powerful things, if idly forgotten and tossed, shaping romantic identities in subtle ways for lifetimes.*

Hell if that's not a thing to go for.

Memories, emotions, etc.-these are powerful things if you know who to buy from and sell to.

As for using it as a changeling? Admittedly, the closest thing to that is certain Goblin Vows and the rest applying to Markets-the closest you'll get to becoming that is becoming a Marketeer, so far. It's one of those things that can do to have more things done with it, alongside other fae powers that have oddly been missing for a long time.

*Whether or not that is true is a case by case matter, I suppose-it still has to contend with sexual attractions.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
              Work Blog Coming Soon
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

I was thinking on maybe having a merit where certain memories and such could be traded for and used as like arcane beats are used in mage kinda like by acting and doing more Fae things you gain power. Does that sound like a good direction or maybe I'm off beat.

Comment

Working...
                X