Legendary/Epic Changeling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legendary/Epic Changeling

According to MachineIV and Rose Bailey the Changeling 2E line end at the Hunter Chronicle, for now. I am hoping that they can be convinced to continue the Changeling line with a Changeling crossover book and an Epic Changeling chronicle. I would really like to see an epic changeling chronicle that reinterprets major mythology heroes and villains, as well as famous people as wyrd 10 Changelings or True Fae. To give some ideas, here are Ichabod Crane and Edgar Allen Poe reinterpreted as Changelings of the Autumn Court.
    Edgar Allen Poe

A character I think would be interesting to introduce in the Huntsmen Chronicles is Edgar Allen Poe as a Fairest Author and the most powerful Autumn Court monarch in the Southern United States. Poes’ story of becoming a changeling is an interesting one, because he started out as fae-touched. When his wife Eleanor(Virginia Eliza Clemm Poe) died of Tuberculosis, Poe fell into despair and considered suicide. On the night he contemplated death, he was visited a raven (Actually a huntsman for a True Fae known as The Red Death). The Raven revealed it’s true nature and the revelation that Virginia Eliza Clemm Poe i.e. Leanor was still alive. She had been given to one of the Great Sea Kings by Poe’s enemy Rufus Griswold. The Raven and The Red Death promised to help him retrieve his wife. In exchange, he would write about his experiences in the Hedge and Arcadia. A fetch was left back in Bronx, New York who would copy the stories Poe sent him. During his travel in Arcadia, he writes The Raven, Fairy-Land, The Tell Tale Heart, The Gold Bug, Elizabeth, Mask of the Red Death, the Black Cat, and Cask of Armontollio. When he came to the Kingdom by the Sea, he used his skill in story telling to defeat huntsmen sent after him, outwit the Sea King, and rescue his bride. When he finally returned to the mortal realm, his fetch had died a strange and most tragic death. Much to Poe’s cold amusement, the efforts of Rufus Griswold to destroy his reputation led to his literary infamy.

Because of his experience, knowledge, and skill in the occult, Poe joined the Autumn Court and became one of the most powerful monarchs in the Southern U.S.

Poe’s Wife Eleanor is a darkling Waterborn. At first I wanted her to be a Banshee. However, because Poe’s poem, The Raven, connects her to death to the sea. It therefore made sense to me that her kith would be tied to water.

Ichabod Crane

In 1790, in Tarry Town, New York, there was a school teacher named Ichabod Crane. Tall, lean, and lanky, he looked like a goofy scarecrow. Although he is resented by much of the rough country men of the town, he is a favorite of the ladies. One day, he falls in love with eighteen year old, Katrina Van Tassel, who is a daughter of the wealthy Baltus Van Tassel. Unfortunately, she is also courted by Abraham "Brom Bones" Van Blunt, a rowdy and bully, but popular the towns people for "being one of them." Blunt first tries to drive Crane away by playing cruel pranks on him and spreading the rumor that Crane wants to marry Katrina to get a hold of the Van Tassel's wealth. Much to Blunt's frustration, Katrina is attracted more to the cultured and educated Ichabod Crane. One day, a stranger payed a visit to Blunt. If he can lead Ichabod Crane to Sleepy Hollow, Crane will be never be seen again. Brunt tells Crane that Baltus Van Tassel want to talk to Crane about marrying his daughter. Along the way, he passes through sleepy hollow, where a True Fae, the headless horseman, snatches him up, and Ichabod is never seen in the two again. Afterward, through the coercion of the towns people and the commands of her father, Katrina Van Tassel marries Abraham Blunt. Blunt eventually meets Washington Irving and tells him a mudslinging version of what what happened to Ichabod Crane (Which Became the Tale of Sleepy Hollow) to ruin Ichabod Crane's reputation. Ironically, Blunt eventually grows tired of her and gives her to the Headless Horseman, too.

Over a century later, (in the year 1910) , two darklings, one male and one female come out of the hedge gate to Sleepy Hollow. They join the Autumn Court with the male eventually joining the Scarecrow Ministry and becomes one of its most infamous members. The tale he most often uses is that of Sleepy Hollow.

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
    According to MachineIV and Rose Bailey the Changeling 2E line end at the Hunter Chronicle, for now. I am hoping that they can be convinced to continue the Changeling line with a Changeling crossover book and an Epic Changeling chronicle.
    I think you misunderstood me. The line doesn't end at that point, it's that we haven't entered active production on the supplements. Supplements are definitely on the schedule!

Rose Bailey
    Onyx Path Development Producer
    Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

Excellent Is there discussion of doing an Epic Changeling sourcebook?

Comment

As far as I can tell, there was plan for a The Hedge book next.

Comment

Yes, and then a Huntsmen Chronicle, but I am hoping that there is at least discussions of ideas for other books.

Comment

Yes, and then a Huntsmen Chronicle, but I am hoping that there is at least discussions of ideas for other books.
            The Huntsmen Chronicle is part of the corebook, not a seperate affair. Thus the grand tradition of Second Edition continues.(See the Strix Chronicle, the Idigam Chronicle, the Fallen World Chronicle, the Firestorm Chronicle, and the Slasher Chronicle for more should you care).

The Hedge is confirmed as a supplement. Are there other books after that?

*glances down at his filing cabinet*

Anyways, sooner or later, a revisitation of legendary changelings seems, to me anyways, an inevitability, but that's just me and I legitimately have no idea on the actuality of that. Such beings draw stories in around themselves anyways. In the meantime, Equinox Road still exists.
            "
            (Since I feel like there's at least the one person who might ask, no, the Tuatha are shelved, I am not pitching that idea ever.)

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
            Working on:The Hedge(?), Night Horrors: Enemy Action
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Would anyone like to further develop the story of these characters as wyrd 10 changelings?
              Cu Chulainn as 1d4chan’s Berserker kith of the Oger seeming. A member of the Summer Court, who is legendary for his rage.

Queen Medb of Ireland as a Fairest Soldier. Originally a Queen of the Summer Court, as her wyrd and legend rose, she eventually became worshipped as a goddess by the Irish Tribes.

King Arthur as a Draconic Fairest and Monarch of the Summer Court in Britain and Wales. He sleeps until the times of Britains’ greatest dangers.

Merlin as a Oracle/Minstrel Dual Kith. I can see him starting out as having the wizened seeming, but losing it in order to escape from the tree Nimue trapped him in.

Comment

In an epic Changeling book, I really think it should explore the relationship between Vasilisa the Beautiful and Baba Yaga. Because these characters have already been used in Classic World of Darkness as vampires, I want to give them a unique twist. In researching the slavic goddess, Morena, I was intrigued to learn that some legends claim that Baba Yaga is just one of Morena’s guises. This has led to the idea making Morena a True Fae and Baba Yaga one of her actors (though she could also be one on Morena’s Huntsmen). Koshchei the Deathless could be a darkling loyalist the serves Morena, since Eastern Slavs have legends of him being her husband. If Baba Yaga is one of Morena’s actor’s, then her Huntsmen are the White(Day), Red (Sun), and Black(Night) riders that serve her.

As for Vasilisa…I see her as a Flame Siren with the Grimm seeming. She doesn’t have the fairest seeming, since she didn’t heroically rescue anyone, but follow the orders of Baba Yaga and her doll. So her doll(which is implied to contain the soul of her mother) could be a manikin fairest or wizened depending on whether you want to emphasize her being a heroic character who saved her daughter or as a wizened who used her ingenuity to complete the tasks Baba Yaga set for Vasilisa; clean Baba’s house and yard, wash her laundry, and cook her meal.

Comment

I forgot to mention that is some versions of the myth of Vasilisa and Baba Yaga, after returning home (and killing her step family) Vasilisa marries a Tsar. I can see her becoming a a Queen at one of the most influential courts in Russia and Eastern Europe.

Comment

In an epic Changeling book, I really think it should explore the relationship between Vasilisa the Beautiful and Baba Yaga. Because these characters have already been used in Classic World of Darkness as vampires, I want to give them a unique twist.
                    Idk, one of the good things about CofD is that it's not "this the setting, here are the big NPC's". There's a reason the nWoD stuff about dracula isn't solid info on him, just many theories and stories, and the closet thing to a statblock of him is a poser (though I wouldn't say that to his face).

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
                      Idk, one of the good things about CofD is that it's not "this the setting, here are the big NPC's". There's a reason the nWoD stuff about dracula isn't solid info on him, just many theories and stories, and the closet thing to a statblock of him is a poser (though I wouldn't say that to his face).
                      What you say is true, but even in new world of darkness, they usually give you a detailed character description to play them as allies or enemies. Plus I think it would be fun to explore the myths and legends connected to some of these characters.

Comment

What you say is true, but even in new world of darkness, they usually give you a detailed character description to play them as allies or enemies. Plus I think it would be fun to explore the myths and legends connected to some of these characters.
                        There's a whole world of them to visit, though.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
                        Working on:The Hedge(?), Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

What you say is true, but even in new world of darkness, they usually give you a detailed character description to play them as allies or enemies.
                          Not really....? Closest I can see to that is some NPC's in night horrors books, but none of those are characters from myth like what your suggesting here.

Plus I think it would be fun to explore the myths and legends connected to some of these characters.
                          Only way I could see this working is discussing themes of those legends in Hunting Grounds chapters, like if you have a russian hunting ground, the courts might be baba yaga based. Which isn't really what your asking for.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                            There's a whole world of them to visit, though.
                            You could focus on the ones from Celtic and Scandinavian sources, first. Then depending on how popular those character are, expand into other mythologies.

Not really....? Closest I can see to that is some NPC's in night horrors books, but none of those are characters from myth like what your suggesting here.

I remember a Forsaken book (Can't remember it's title, sorry) in which it introduced Sitting Bull as a Pure Tribe Werewolf.

Only way I could see this working is discussing themes of those legends in Hunting Grounds chapters, like if you have a russian hunting ground, the courts might be baba yaga based. Which isn't really what your asking for.

To me, If you are going to play a Epic changeling(wyrd 10) Changeling, my feeling is you should be pretty close to end game and dealing with world ending, Ragnarok/Gehenna level scenarios, like a full fledged invasion of Earth by the True Fae. Or at least playing the game as high fantasy, which means encountering a lot of epic characters. Though there are probably other ways to play it.

Comment

To be more specific, I meant I think an Epic changeling game should be more global than a typical Changeling game.

Comment

Working...
                              X