Legendary/Epic Changeling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post

Neither the first seeming nor the playmate kith stick you in child form.
    There's no reason Playmate + Fairest couldn't leave you in child form. Each kith + seeming combination isn't limited to a single appearance, the ones in Chapter One are merely examples. As long as it makes sense you can have it as your appearance, and that makes perfect sense for that combination.

Also, something makes me very amused by a Pure-Hearted changeling with a lazy vice.

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
      There's no reason Playmate + Fairest couldn't leave you in child form. Each kith + seeming combination isn't limited to a single appearance, the ones in Chapter One are merely examples. As long as it makes sense you can have it as your appearance, and that makes perfect sense for that combination.

Also, something makes me very amused by a Pure-Hearted changeling with a lazy vice.
      But you still Age, which affects your mask and mien.

Also , I would like to hear your ideas for a Pure-Hearted Changeling with the lazy vice

Comment

I could see an argument that high wyrd could force you into a child form by raw, it should be completely the optional, but personally I despise the idea of playing children, memories of childhood is not something I generally find pleasant or fun, but others have had different experiences in childhood, made different choices, and so maybe for others playing children brings back found memories, but it doesn't for me.

But maybe that is more reason to play one some day if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
          I could see an argument that high wyrd could force you into a child form by raw, it should be completely the optional, but personally I despise the idea of playing children, memories of childhood is not something I generally find pleasant or fun, but others have had different experiences in childhood, made different choices, and so maybe for others playing children brings back found memories, but it doesn't for me.

If you want to find inspiration for playing a darker, grimmer version of an adult trapped in a child's body, I recommend the black comedy, I Hate Fairyland.

Also, I was envisioning the concept of changeling's who had been taken as children and their experiences kept them from aging. When they return to Earth, they find that they have stopped aging.

Comment

But you still Age, which affects your mask and mien.

Also , I would like to hear your ideas for a Pure-Hearted Changeling with the lazy vice
            It would affect your mask, but not your mien.... maybe. Depends on your interpretation of how mien and mask interact. But your mien shouldn't change, your mien is the perfect childhood playmate so you should stay as that. And you can take the merit which pauses your aging's appearance/effects during character creation, or just have high enough wyrd + that merit which doubles your wyrd for the purposes of aging.

As for the lazy villain. Orcus on his Throne

I cannot really see there being any RAW which force your mien to look like X if you take Y option. Seems very against the ridiculously dynamic rules for kiths and combining them with seemings. Though, I expect a "Your forever a kid" to be in the Personal Horror file rather than the Slice of Life Fun file for the same reason vampiric children are horrific in fiction.

Comment

The Changeling stuck in the form of a child (which I will call a Lost Boy) can be an NPC. Also, rather than using a character to emphasize the joys of childhood, I would use a character to emphasize the tragedy and grimness of such and existence. Think of having to live through middle school for decades. Such a character would have to travel constantly to keep people from questioning why they don't age. Plus, the people who were important to them in childhood might be gone (either died of old age or simply moved away and the Lost Boy can't find them)

Comment

I could see an argument that high wyrd could force you into a child form by raw, .
                I envision a Changeling being trapped in the form of a child through the machinations of the True Fae rather than the power of the Wyrd. The Wyrd symbolizes transformation, development wile being stuck in the form of a child is stagnation.

As for why the True Fae would do this... I can see a tone of reasons. It might be because the True Fae wants a childhood playmate. Maybe the True Fae wants to experience the joys of a parent nurturing a small child. Maybe the True Fae wants to understand innocence or how to corrupt it. Maybe the role the changeling plays is that of the child or children who goes on a magical adventure where they enter a fairy tale land make friends while defeating enemies before returning home (The Wizard of Oz, Chronicles of Narnia, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland).

Rather than being part of a kith, I see it as a merit/flaw(which I will call Lost Boy) that is complemented with a kith like DearHeart, Playmate, TrueFriend, ect.

I see this being done to changelings who had been stolen as children, but if the True Fae is a Genie/Djinn, Wish Master type Fae, they may do it as a twist on a wish a mortal makes. Example, 98 year old man wishes to be made young immortal, and never aging.. POOF! The True Fae turns him into a six year old child.

Comment

I am actually pretty fond of my Potent Seeming merit, so I want to defend against the idea that the potent kith, dual kith merits and seeming contracts fulfill the mechanics and surrounding the Potent Seeming idea.

A changeling can develop potent kith or dual kith the way a person develops a skill or muscle; through training, practice, and exercise.

To develop Potent Seeming, however, a Changeling has to continue to play the role that allowed them to escape from Arcadia; A Fairest continues to be a hero, protecting changelings from the Hunstmen that stalk them, foiling the plans of loyalists and soulless in freeholds, even starting social movements.

Darkling continue to be people who work in the shadows both literally and figuratively, developing their skills in larceny, stealth, and subterfuge to survive, moving only during times of darkness, and isolating themselves from much of changeling society.

Rather continuing to be animals that hunt and survive in the wilds, Beasts emphasize the qualities associated with specific animals; being as proud as a lion, cold hearted and treacherous as a snake (lawyers and investment bankers), being as curious as monkey, or a stubborn as a goat. Becoming the animal characters we see in folk tales and fairy tales.

As for seeming contracts fulfilling the mechanics in this concept... while buying contracts of a seeming does give you some of their features associated with the seeming even if you are not a part of it, my understanding is that they are cosmetic and don't give you the benefits of having fur, gills, bark skin, ect. Potent seeming makes these features functional.

Comment

The Changeling stuck in the form of a child (which I will call a Lost Boy) can be an NPC. Also, rather than using a character to emphasize the joys of childhood, I would use a character to emphasize the tragedy and grimness of such and existence. Think of having to live through middle school for decades. Such a character would have to travel constantly to keep people from questioning why they don't age. Plus, the people who were important to them in childhood might be gone (either died of old age or simply moved away and the Lost Boy can't find them)
                    I can also see Lost Boys creepy antagonists. Drawing on the themes of Lord of the Flies and Children of the Corn, the Lost boys might be loyalists who worship their keeper as a god. They sacrifice adults to it and kidnap human children to be turned into Lost Boys like them.

Comment

Alice Liddell: Along time ago, or to be more specific, in a rowing boat on The Isis/River Thames July 4, 1862, young Alice Pleasance Liddell told Charles Lutwig Dodgson( who would write under the pseudonym Lewsis Caroll) a most peculiar story. She described how she followed a white rabbit down a rabbit hole and found herself in the magical world of Wonderland. While there, she befriended a Mad Hatter, March Hare, the twins Tweedledum and Tweedledee, the Cheshire Cat, as well as the White Rabbit, himself. She rescues them from the foul tempered and murderous Queen of Hearts, escapes from the Harpy Bird, Bandersnatch, and even slays her most terrifying monster, the Jabberwocky. Charles Ludwig is so intrigued by her story that he writes down an edited version titled, Alice in Wonderland.

Sadly, in June of 1863, relationships between Charles Lutwig Dodgson a.k.a Lewis Caroll, and the Liddells meets with a sudden break. Some speculate that this is because Charles Lutwig wanted to marry little Alice, but whatever the reasons the Liddells forbid Charles from seeing her. Heartbroken, Charles Lutwig tried to move on with his life. However, much to his great shock, he met Alice again in 1869. She told him a tale of how she went Through the Looking Glass and came to a chess world ruled between a White Queen and a Red Queen. Both led two factions that fought for dominance. Lewis Caroll once again wrote about the world she detailed and the book was published in 1871.

Lewis Caroll died worshipping his Alice, his muse, his queen, his goddess. The Alice Liddell that married, became Alice Hargreaves, and died at the age of 82 was Alice’s fetch. Alice Liddell, herself, does not look at day past the age of ten, but is an extremely powerful wyrd 10 changeling. She leads an entitlement of the Courts of Ash and Snow that is connected to the tales of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. It’s members include the White Rabbit, the Mad Hatter, the March Hare, Tweedledum and Tweedledee, the Cheshire Cat, and even Humpty Dumpty.

Alice Liddell is a Lost Girl of the Fairest seeming. Rather than being a Playmate, Truefriend, or Dearheart, I wanted to give her a seeming that is connected to madness, the innocence of a child, or dreams. This is how I envision her blessing, the storyteller can giver her visions that giver her insight into the stories main plot line, her madness/innocence protects her from mind altering supernatural powers. Because she has potent kith, her blessing allows her to warp reality (connected to the idea of madness or childhood fantasy, if she believes she can fly, she can fly, if she think a piece of cake will cause her to grow to the size of a giant, it will do so), she can also use a version of the madness network that allows her to see through the eyes of children or the insane.

Comment

An interesting wyrd 10 Changeling storyline to explore would be one that focused on the story of Journey to the West. The story is based on an actual event, the pilgrimage of a Tang dynasty Buddhist monk, Xuanzang, to India so an East Asian Changeling chronicle could be used to explore the historical and mythical history of this work. Plus, I would LOVE to see Son Wukung, the Monkey King and inspiration for heroes like Son Goku as a wyrd 10 changeling I could easily see him as a wyrd 10 changeling with dual kith, the potent seeming merit for both kiths, plus my idea of potent seeming

Comment

I remember on this thread, the description of what a draconic darkling would look like. This churned in my head as I was thinking of mythical heroes and villains to be transformed into wyrd 10 changelings. I am surprised it took me this long, but I eventually realized, the Arthurian arch villain Mordred, would be the perfect folk villain to be reinvisioned as a darkling draconic. Thank’s to Sir Thomas Mallory’s popular interpretation of the Arthurian cycle, most of us know/envision Mordred as the traitorous son of King Arthur. However, Mordred’s beginnings are more diverse than that.

Mordred is first mentioned in Annales Cambriae, in the year 539. In this version, his name is Medraut, and a rival of King Arthur rather than a traitorous follower. Geoffrey of Monmouth developed the more familiar image of Mordred as Arthur’s traitorous nephew and the son of Lancelot. It is sir Thomas Malory’s Arthurian cycle that developed the popular version of Mordred as King Arthur’s traitorous son.

If Mordred were introduced as a changeling in Changeling the Lost, I would actually like to explore the earliest versions of the tale of him being a rival rather than a traitor. Partly this is because I want to explore how myths and legends change over time and how rumor can totally distort a person’s real character.

Comment

In the discussions of whether or not to use popular fairytale folk heroes/villains in a rule book that focuses on epic/legendary/wyrd 10 changelings, one developer stated that they would rather focus on the least well known legends. My argument for using the characters of popular tales is that you can explore the dark origins or darker versions of the myths.

Case in point, Aladdin. Contrary to the popular Disney version of Aladdin as a heroic and noble figure, the original Alladin was impetuous, lazy, and stupid. His father dies of disappointment in the beginning of the story. To prove his worth, he is determined to marry the princess.....who happens to already be betrothed. In order to annul the marriage, Aladdin kidnaps the princess, sleeps with her, and has his djinn torture her fiancé. When a sorcerer banishes Aladdin's kingdom out of revenge for steal the djinn lamp, Alladin has the princess (who just happens to be Alladin's wife) seduce, sleep with the sorcerer, the cut his throat.

There is also a Chinese version of Aladdin, where after he escapes from the cave of wonders, he goes on a murderous rampage trying to find the sorcerer... and that's where they story ends

Comment

In the discussions of whether or not to use popular fairytale folk heroes/villains in a rule book that focuses on epic/legendary/wyrd 10 changelings, one developer stated that they would rather focus on the least well known legends. My argument for using the characters of popular tales is that you can explore the dark origins or darker versions of the myths.
                              It's just weird if changelings are the origins of fairytales, being humans changed by fairytale logic and altered to follow tropes requires the fairytales and tropes to exist beforehand or they would end up being changed into something else.
                              Last edited by milo v3; 03-23-2017, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
                                It's just weird if changelings are the origins of fairytales, being humans changed by fairytale logic and altered to follow tropes requires the fairytales and tropes to exist beforehand or they would end up being changed into something else.
                                I think an epic changeling book should imply (or at least allow to be explored) the idea that True Fae were, if not created, given form by human myths. You also have to remember that before there were fairy tales, there were mythologies and legends about Pagan gods. An epic Changeling book can suggest that such legends were what allowed the True Fae to first enter the mortal/human realm.

Comment

Working...
                                X