What Exactly is a Bulwark?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Exactly is a Bulwark?

On a both in-universe and out-of-universe perspective, I understand the general purpose and nature of a Freehold's Bulwark. It's the story of some founding event such as driving back Arcadia or establishing a tradition of perseverance, which becomes bound to the Wyrd as a sort of ward against hostile fae magics. The Courts and their emotions take their character from aspects of the story and create their own substories, and powerful, respected Changelings sort of metaphysically become major characters in the story. So long as the story is ritualistically repeated at the appointed times, the Freehold has a measure of protection from the forces of Arcadia. Out-of-universe, it helps to explain why the True Fae, who have no reason to uphold a Masquerade, are not just attacking in broad daylight or frequently enough to make maintaining an underground society impossible.

But how does it work for the True Fae? For Huntsmen, I understand that Yearning is a limited resource, and thus they have to stick to Approaches to have enough fuel for their powers. But what leverage does it have against the Gentry to stop them from spiriting away the physically and magically weakest ones or attacking the Freehold? A lot of Bulwarks mention some agreement the Gentry made (ex. Toronto and the stories of Scherezade), or an event or battle they annually attend en masse (ex. Venice's Carnivale Ball), but does that mean that the Gentry cannot directly attack anyone under the Freehold's protection while the Bulwark still stands? Does this protection extend to anyone within the physical territory the Freehold claims, whether they know about the Fae or not? Or does it work by using story logic to make it easier to hide your fae nature from Huntsmen and Gentry instead of physically warding them away?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

The True Fae exist in bargains and deals. They cannot simply ignore them and must find a loophole around them. They exist in stories. The Wicked Witch with the candy house can't just shoo Hansel and Gretel along their way, she MUST capture and fatten them up to eat even if the story always ends in the Witch's downfall at the end. In their own Arcadian Realm they get to make the rules and tell the story. They control the narrative. Outside their own realm, they're bound by other stories and the Freehold IS a story. As far as the True Fae are concerned, nothing in the mortal world makes a lick of sense because people are always doing weird fundamentally wrong things like saying you'll die up for dinner at 6, and then arriving at 6:15. It'd be like us going to a world where Newtonian physics simply don't apply to anyone but you. So the True Fae runs into a freehold and it's a tiny sliver of society that a actually makes sense to it. There's a narrative going on with the True Fae's roll with out for them. The True Fae MUST follow Approaches and is limited by the Bulwark the same way physics MUST be obeyed by us. We can't just wake up and think "hmmm.... Gravity today? Nawww." That said, the protection only applies to those sworn to the freehold, the ones who are part of the narrative.

Comment

On the mechanics front of things, the True Fae suffer every Approach in the Freehold as a ban-they must fulfill all of them in order to act against anyone under the ward. On top of that, Changelings get to add their Mantle in rolls for their defense against the True Fae(Defense, Contested and Resisted Rolls, stuff like that). It's basically trying to move in a thick field of razor wire while your opponents are mice with AK-47s.

In universe, it probably works because it's sort of like turning the collective freehold into an Arcadian Domain, with any engagements with them manifesting the rules of engagement that a Legend has.

I mean, don't quote me on that, but it would explain a few things.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
      Working on:The Hedge(?), Night Horrors: Enemy Action
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

A Changeling has it's mantle rating as defence against a True Far as long as the Bulwark stands.

Also True Fae have to abide by approaches when dealing with Changelings, they can't do anything directly to the Changeling until they are all met.

Talespinning contract is also effected by the Bulwark some how.

There are possibly other benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
          In universe, it probably works because it's sort of like turning the collective freehold into an Arcadian Domain, with any engagements with them manifesting the rules of engagement that a Legend has.

This was my headcanon, personally.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
          An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
          Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

Alright, so while Huntsmen have an incentive to follow Approaches, True Fae can't even imagine not following them. sounds fair.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
              On the mechanics front of things, the True Fae suffer every Approach in the Freehold as a ban-they must fulfill all of them in order to act against anyone under the ward. On top of that, Changelings get to add their Mantle in rolls for their defense against the True Fae(Defense, Contested and Resisted Rolls, stuff like that). It's basically trying to move in a thick field of razor wire while your opponents are mice with AK-47s.

that makes a lot of sense, thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X