Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Hill has left OPP: What happens to Changeling Now? [Changeling is still happening]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Hill has left OPP: What happens to Changeling Now? [Changeling is still happening]

Code Red: Def Con 1: David Hill has left OPP: What happens to Changeling Now?

Given that it is written in its entirety... probably nothing. Someone will take over proofing, make the edits necessary and the book will likely get released, albeit a bit later than planned. Is it disappointing? Extremely. Is it a reason to freak out about this particular book? Don't think so. We're still going to get the awesome game that David developed, and I would be shocked if there were major revisions this late in the game.

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

I think that the question was not about the book, but about the gameline. Which would still exist, I believe, as it has a great supporting fanbase, but the creative vision would probably change with the new Developer.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
      I now blog in here

Comment

Preemptive mod warning. Please keep gloom and dooming to a sane minimum. We all loved David Hill's work and are sad to see him go, but Developers come and go, this isn't abnormal and it certainly isn't the end for Changeling.

That's all. Carry on.

Onyx Path Moderator
        Mod Voice is RED*
        *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
        Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

Changeling has a new dev team, who have been working on the core and the line for months now. I'm leading that team. I'm sorry that David's no longer involved, but Changeling is still happening.

I'll try and get some new open dev up soon. Probably Goblin Contracts and the related concept of Goblin Debt, since I'm really happy with the current draft of them.

Rose Bailey
          Onyx Path Development Producer
          Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
            Changeling has a new dev team, who have been working on the core and the line for months now. I'm leading that team. I'm sorry that David's no longer involved, but Changeling is still happening.

I'll try and get some new open dev up soon. Probably Goblin Contracts and the related concept of Goblin Debt, since I'm really happy with the current draft of them.
            Are there members on the old team who are on the new team? Or is it completely new?

CofD booklists:

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
              Are there members on the old team who are on the new team? Or is it completely new?
              I've been overseeing CofD for years now, and I'm running the show. My co-dev has worked on a ton of CofD stuff. The writers on the line are a mix of people who worked under David and people who didn't, but they're all CofD vets. The vets include Ethan Skemp, Changeling's creator, and Jess Hartley, who has worked on nearly every Changeling book.

Rose Bailey
              Onyx Path Development Producer
              Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post

A whole new Development team for months now? Has David been leading it or have you been leading it since the new development team took over?

Either way I'm sure David would be happy to know it's in good hands, you did a wonderful on Vampire 2e corebook.

I'm surprised and shocked at all this new info, the last thing we heard from David on Changeling was that it was handed over for approvals to White Wolf and Onyx Path, then recently I here from Rich that it's still in development.

But I'm really happy to hear that work is still going on the corebook and the changeling line.

I'm curious if there are any major changes to the what we've seen in the playtest blog.

And I look forward to the open development blog on goblin contracts and goblin debt has me curious.

Thank you Rose for addressing my concerns.

Comment

Thanks for filling us in Rose. Omega, I feel like we'll find out more next Monday. Also very curious to see if there have been major changes since the handover.

CofD booklists:

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                    Thanks for filling us in Rose. Omega, I feel like we'll find out more next Monday. Also very curious to see if there have been major changes since the handover.
                    I guess your right, I'm just in shock, this is a lot to process.

Still I'm happy the line is in good hands at least.

And am curious who is Rose's co-developer now.

Comment

I am, really sad to see David go. I hope future works will treat him well, and that his enterprising is successful and interesting. I have many thoughts and questions about the circumstances behind his leave but... Rose's words at least leave me confident for the conclusion of Changeling 2e and I still look forward to it.

Incidentally, was this handing off of the book to a partially new team one of the reasons behind 2e's surprisingly long time in Development?
                      Last edited by YeOfLittleFaith; 03-08-2017, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post
                        I am, really sad to see David go. I hope future works will treat him well, and that his enterprising is successful and interesting. I have many thoughts and feelings about the circumstances behind his leave but... Rose's words at leave me confident for Changeling 2e being concluded, and I still look forward to it.

Incidentally, was this handing off of the book to a partially new team one of the reasons behind 2e's surprisingly long time in Development?
                        Good question.

Comment

Originally posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post
                          I am, really sad to see David go. I hope future works will treat him well, and that his enterprising is successful and interesting. I have many thoughts and questions about the circumstances behind his leave but... Rose's words at least leave me confident for the conclusion of Changeling 2e and I still look forward to it.
                          David's been pretty upfront and honest about the circumstances behind his leave on all his social media. David no longer felt comfortable working with White Wolf, who stamps every Chronicles of Darkness work, due to their hiring (and defending) of his stalker, Zak S. David liked/likes (? Rose says he's still working to write for them) Onyx Path as a company, and the people involved, but wasn't willing to be a Big Name for them anymore so long as they were still working as White Wolf licensees. Unfortunately, that's not really something Onyx Path is prepared to do, as Chronicles of Darkness is their Main Thing, and, money aside, many of the developers and writers love it and wouldn't want to stop doing it even when money isn't an issue.

So...yeah. It really sucks, and there's certainly hell to pay if you want, but there's already a whole thread surrounding that down in the Off-Topic thread. But I'm not dooming or glooming here - the show must go on.

Comment

Originally posted by RomulusGloriosus View Post

David's been pretty upfront and honest about the circumstances behind his leave on all his social media. David no longer felt comfortable working with White Wolf, who stamps every Chronicles of Darkness work, due to their hiring (and defending) of his stalker, Zak S. David liked/likes (? Rose says he's still working to write for them) Onyx Path as a company, and the people involved, but wasn't willing to be a Big Name for them anymore so long as they were still working as White Wolf licensees. Unfortunately, that's not really something Onyx Path is prepared to do, as Chronicles of Darkness is their Main Thing, and, money aside, many of the developers and writers love it and wouldn't want to stop doing it even when money isn't an issue.

So...yeah. It really sucks, and there's certainly hell to pay if you want, but there's already a whole thread surrounding that down in the Off-Topic thread. But I'm not dooming or glooming here - the show must go on.
                            That's actually reassuring in a way. While we could be fairly certain that Zak was the catalyst, it was hard to tell via Twitter if it was conflict with WWP or OPP that put David in this position. That sounds like the parting of was as positive as it could be, given the shitty, shitty circumstances. I can certainly understand David's desire not associate with WWP properties. I can also understand that its impossible for OPP to divest themselves of the licenses and remain solvent.

Shitty, shitty situation.

CofD booklists:

Comment

I was ready to criticize certain parties for leading to this conclusion in addition to their recent behavior based on what I could gleam from David's twitter messages, but I didn't want to bring the topic into this thread.

But I concur with Second Chance's post above. If it was David's prerogrative I completely understand his decision, and likewise why Onyx Path can't do more about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X