Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Hill has left OPP: What happens to Changeling Now? [Changeling is still happening]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RomulusGloriosus View Post

From what David himself has said in the "Tokyo Timeline" thread, the only thing that has changed is that he is no longer developing for Onyx Path. He has expressed interest in continuing to write, and that he would love to bring Tokyo to the other lines. So it is completely plausible that you may still see Tokyo pop up in the remaining core books.

Not guaranteed anymore, but, it still definitely could be.
    By that, does he mean that he's just another freelance writer now?

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

He's working on horror games of his own that look quite exciting.

Hayley Margules, historian and former OPP writer
      Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

Originally posted by hm8453a View Post

I'd love to see more Machine Age stuff!

Rose Bailey
        Onyx Path Development Producer
        Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

Bear in mind that Onyx Path only has five full-time employees: Rich Thomas, Lisa Thomas, Mike Chaney, Rose Bailey, and Matt McElroy. All of the rest of us -- from social media to editing to artists to indexers to writers to developers -- are "just" freelancers.

Ian A. A. Watson
          Onyx Path Community Manager
          Trinity Continuum Lead Developer

Comment

You couldn't throw out some more specifics there? (I mean that as a request, not snark).

Sad to see Dave Hill go from OPP though.

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
              You couldn't throw out some more specifics there? (I mean that as a request, not snark).

Sad to see Dave Hill go from OPP though.
              He's been posting excerpts and tidbits on his personal FB page, and he just started a page for the game series, which is called More Than Night. Mena wrote a short story that he posted this morning.

Hayley Margules, historian and former OPP writer
              Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

He's been posting excerpts and tidbits on his personal FB page, and he just started a page for the game series, which is called More Than Night. Mena wrote a short story that he posted this morning.
                Thanks v much.

Comment

I'm even more excited to see where Changeling 2E goes now that Rose is the developer.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

Changeling 2e isn't going to be the game I was looking forward to any more, given how much of David's work has apparently been cut out. Pass.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I'm just looking forwards to how Changeling 2e goes; while I am excited for what the previous previews showed me, I'm also keeping an open mind for how the game will end up. It's like playing the Beta of a videogame; you may like what's in there, and sad when it's changed, but overall there will be more stuff in the full game than the Beta and that's something to love too.

Comment

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
                        I'm just looking forwards to how Changeling 2e goes; while I am excited for what the previous previews showed me, I'm also keeping an open mind for how the game will end up. It's like playing the Beta of a videogame; you may like what's in there, and sad when it's changed, but overall there will be more stuff in the full game than the Beta and that's something to love too.
                        Except we had 90% of game (and there was already 100% of the game that David sent to onyx path), betas are normally iterative design but this is "let's scrap the major foundations of this already complete game".

Also videogame betas normally don't change tone between updates unless the previous tone wasn't intentional... And David's tone was definitely completely intentional.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                          Changeling 2e isn't going to be the game I was looking forward to any more, given how much of David's work has apparently been cut out. Pass.
                          Maybe wait until you see the finished version before you decide it's not going to be for you?

Matthew Dawkins
                          Freelance Writer and Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post

Maybe wait until you see the finished version before you decide it's not going to be for you?
                            That's... Not how purchasing things works.
                            If you're not interested in a product why would you buy it to see if it can convince you to be interested rather than spending that money on things you are interested in?

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post

That's... Not how purchasing things works.
                              If you're not interested in a product why would you buy it to see if it can convince you to be interested rather than spending that money on things you are interested in?
                              I take a punt on books all the time. It's a good way of exposing yourself to new writers and ideas.

It seems to me to be a little bit of a knee-jerk reaction to say "this author's not on this collaborative piece anymore, so I'm out," or words to that effect. Still, it's a buyer's market.

Matthew Dawkins
                              Freelance Writer and Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post

I take a punt on books all the time. It's a good way of exposing yourself to new writers and ideas.

It seems to me to be a little bit of a knee-jerk reaction to say "this author's not on this collaborative piece anymore, so I'm out," or words to that effect. Still, it's a buyer's market.
                                I think it's a bit different to just "this author's not on this collaborative piece anymore”, as the author in question was the line developer and that his removal has lead to many changes which can easily not be to someone's taste if they preferred the old tone/aesthetic.

I myself am being cautious about the new version and am unsure on whether to purchase it yet since David's philosophy on beauty from darkness and mental health are identical to my own. I might still purchase it, but I'll be waiting to see how much of the games philosophy has changed.
                                Last edited by milo v3; 04-12-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X