A Walk in the Hedge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
    ...that refines human heartbreak into snuff for the Gentry...
    What's the Market rate on that? Or Toxicity?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Axelgear View Post
      From what I can gather, a thing to emphasize the "beautiful madness" that is Changeling; a place full of fantastical things, hidden places, and lurking dangers. It's a place made of dreams and hopes and bits of the soul left to die, with all that implies.
      .....there was a point in time when it wasn't this? I would have described the Hedge as this since its inception back in the 1e version of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

What's the Market rate on that? Or Toxicity?

A song played on a harp of spider silk, a jar of liquid void, and the last breath of a man dead of heartbreak. Or whatever else the merchant has a need of at the time.

Comment

My god, imagine the shipping costs

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Oh, speaking of the snuff mill, any rules on what happens to people kidnapped by Goblins to work in the Hedge? Maybe they become Goblins?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by nothri View Post
              .....there was a point in time when it wasn't this? I would have described the Hedge as this since its inception back in the 1e version of the game.
              I think some folks didn't read David's version of Hedge as this. And, to be fair, David's Changeling was about "beautiful lies and bittersweet truths", not "beautiful madness", and his Hedge did emphasize that. It was totally still "a place full of fantastical things, hidden places, and lurking dangers; a place made of dreams and hopes and bits of the soul left to die, with all that implies" though.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
              My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Gowing by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

You and I have very different visions of what that means, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
                  As a whole, the Hedge has no consistent allegiance or moral alignment, any more than Earth does.
                  The issue I have with this is that it sort of means I have no idea how to use such a place. If it's just "a place where you can put anything" then it inspires me plot-wise the same level as an empty space.

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
                    The issue I have with this is that it sort of means I have no idea how to use such a place. If it's just "a place where you can put anything" then it inspires me plot-wise the same level as an empty space.
                    It's a Fairy Tale world. Just not only a "Nice" or "Scary" one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                      It's a Fairy Tale world.
                      That's a nice title, but it doesn't actually give any information on what the world is actually like, and what Fairy Tale means is highly subjective.

For example, goblin knights riding dinosaurs, isn't very "Fairy Tale" in my mind, but it apparently fits the hedge perfectly.

Comment

• Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
                        That's a nice title, but it doesn't actually give any information on what the world is actually like, and what Fairy Tale means is highly subjective.

For example, goblin knights riding dinosaurs, isn't very "Fairy Tale" in my mind, but it apparently fits the hedge perfectly.
                        Driven more by narrative and/or whimsy that math and "sense".

Hard to concretely explain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                          Driven more by narrative and/or whimsy that math and "sense".

Hard to concretely explain.
                          Based on what Rose has said it's influenced but not controlled by stories and narratives in the real world. It's worth keeping in mind that that in no way limits things to fairy tales, though even if it did, those stories have pervaded every culture and nook and cranny of our globe and for every one you've heard there's probably a million you haven't. Goblin knights is a pretty good example of that, as both are pretty much straight from fantasy stories and in between invasions and terrorizing cavemen they would probably need something to do to keep busy.

In this it doesn't seem much different from the old Hedge, which was also supposed to have these things, but examples of which tended to be less bizarre, at least in appearance.

I'd guess that with the existence of these hedge ghosts, things will be more dangerous. One of the key elements of those 'don't stray from the path' stories was that there was something to tempt or otherwise lure travelers from the path. Visions of lost love, endangered family or friends, treasure or imminent threats. First edition had the danger element of going off the path, but it really didn't add any reason to. The Thorns were bad, thus don't enter the Thorns. Hopefully the ghosts, or something, will offer pitfalls so the Thorns can actually come into play beyond boundaries to 'ring out' opponents.

Another guess is a big reason to go there is likely to be tied into the players Durances and backstories. You may not know what to do now, but when you're looking at four stories detailing the growth of the player characters you'll probably be able to come up with something suitable.
                          Last edited by nofather; 04-18-2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• Thank you for the helpful and beautiful answers ☺

Comment

• Everyone, even Rose herself, is giving out all these beautiful prose as answers to what the Hedge is... and here I am, completely clueless as to what it is supposed to be. At least the older versions had something, even if some people hated it for one reason or another.

... Unless that's exactly the point, and the Hedge is some sort of Wonderland-like world of daydreams? That I can conceptualize.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

• Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                                ... Unless that's exactly the point, and the Hedge is some sort of Wonderland-like world of daydreams? That I can conceptualize.
                                Pretty much this. The hedge is literally shaped by people's dreams and emotions. So, yes, its literally a daydream made physical.

Comment

Working...
                                X