Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changeling the Lost 2nd Edition - What we know so far

Changeling the Lost 2nd Edition – What We Know So Far

Hi all! I'm a HUGE fan of the CoD world and its gamelines, so I thought I'd make one of these "what we know so far" posts (i've made one for Geist 2E & Deviant the Renegades as well..I have a bit of a habit of compiling and organizing information) to collect past info in one spot for my own and my fellow fans of Changeling's ease of reference as we eagerly anticipate the publication of Changeling the Lost 2nd Edition

Premise: humans have been targeted and abducted by the Fae for centuries untold. Some are able to escape from this captivity, breaking through the Hedge that divides Arcadia with the human world, returning to their old homes, but not unchanged. The time and torments of Arcadia have ripped parts of their souls and filled it with Wyrd magic, making them a part of the Fae as much as they are also human.

Developers: Initially David Hill, Jr, who released a lot of preview materials from his team’s first draft (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9H...U4dmlGY2c/view ). Following David’s departure as a developer from Onyxpath, Rose Bailey & Meghan Fitzgerald have become the developers, and have stated that they are keeping some of David Hill’s materials while adding new material and making some adjustments. The Hill materials were amazing, as are the Bailey Fitzgerald preview forum posts on Goblin Debt, the Hedge & the Autumn Court, as well as a look at the Summer Court in a blog entitled Freeholds so I have high hopes for an excellent game with a proud lineage of developers and writers involved.

Seeming: The inherent major splat. This represents the method by which a Changeling took back control of her or his life & returned to the mortal world. 6 Seemings will be in the Corebook’s Chapter 1: Beast, Darkling, Elemental, Fairest, Ogre, Wizened. A 7th Seeming: the Grimm appeared in the Dark Era’s book, but as Changeling 2nd E was not completed at the time, perhaps there will be errata to adjust it to the completed ruleset later on. Confirmed by Rose Bailey that a Seeming may be derived from the means of escape; the starting tools a Changeling uses to cope with his or her escape and start her or his new life; OR based on what the Keepers made them or did to them (effectively based on Kith) (right here on this forum on page 3).

Court: The philosopohical/socio-political/psychological/mutual defense organization major splat. These are organizations that have made Bargains with concepts in the Wryd to gain protection against the Gentry (their former Fae masters). This involves a Give and Take construction. The Gentry may attack an individual of a Court or a Freehold under a Court’s control, but must do so within the restrictions of the Court’s Wyrd Bargain. Court members must in turn have something their Bargain requires of them to maintain it. The corebook will feature the 4 Seasonal Courts in 1st chapter, but guidelines for making your own Courts and Freehold systems will be a big part of the book, and the settings will include many examples of non-Seasonal courts and freeholds. All corebook courts will have Mantles. The Autumn Court's reputation as sorcerers does not include a separate skill set like Vampiric Blood Sorcery or Uratha Rites; but rather refers to the Autumn Changeling's focus on seeking out new Contracts rather than focusing on improving mortal skills or physical strength, etc

Kith: While not an X or Y splat, the Kith is the way the Gentry changed, used, or bound a Changeling during their durance in Arcadia. Each kith grants a unique ability and influences the appearance of a Changeling Fae Mein. These will feature in chapter 1 with the Seemings & Courts. The corebook will provide two Seeming examples of each Kith as confirmed by Rose Bailey here: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...w-so-far/page3

Contracts: Changeling powers. Contracts made with Abstract contracts on a smaller scale than Court Bargains. This is the foundation of Fae magic. There are three categories: Arcadian (the largest group and filled with a variety of powers), Goblin (contracts made through bargains (lowercase b) with Hedge denizens, the Goblins), & Court (contracts gained through membership in a Court, often Emotion – the court’s favored emotion, Talespinning). It has been stated that many of the Contracts in the Hill materials have been retained, but a new organization of Arcadian Contracts has been adopted: the Regalia. Each Seeming has a favored Regalia. Contracts of a Seeming’s Regalia have extra benefits for that Seeming when they use the contract. Regalia: Crown, Jewel, Mirror, Shield, Steed, Sword. You also choose a second Regalia affinity at character creation.
    My money is that Crown = Fairest, Jewel = Elemental, Mirror = Darkling, Shield = Wizened, Steed = Beast, Sword = Ogre.
    Goblin Contracts have a cumulative use feature that builds up Goblin Debt. Gaining too much Goblin Debt can leave a Changeling temporarily or permanently bound to the Hedge, making them (or their replacements if they are able to convince someone mortal or Changeling to take their place) Goblins as well as Changelings. That makes these powers quite dangerous, potent and fuel for potential Chronicles.

Dreamwalking: Changelings all have some ability at dreamwalking and dream shaping. When sleeping, Changelings do not vanish from the mortal world

Glamour: the power of emotion, harvested by all the Fae, even Changelings. Each Court has its favored emotion.

Wyrd: The Power Stat of the Changelings. It measures their strength in Fae power.

Pledges: the ability to make magically binding agreements with mortals, supernatural beings, and abstract concepts. The 2nd edition system will be different from the 1st edition system.

Anchors: the Hill previews used Mask & Mein in some parts and Virtue & Vice in others, and Needle & Thread in others. I don’t know what the current developers’ take on this is yet.

The Hedge: The region that acts as a border between the Mundane world & Arcadia. It is Fae, but a world in its own right. Creatures native or belonging (not native, but absorbed through Debt or other measures) to the Hedge are collectively called Goblins. There is a new kind of Goblin denizen: the Hedge Ghost. These are much like Ghosts of the Underworld, but feed on Glamour and are bound to the Hedge, not the Underworld. Their exact origins and creation methods are being investigated. The Hedge is linked to the Dream Roads (hoping for me reveals about this), Earth & Arcadia. Doors into the Hedge may open randomly, allowing unassuming mortals to wander in.

Supporting Cast: the Fae-Touched - Drawn from Hill materials and confirmed by Rose Bailey. Mortals who, bound by promises to a Changeling from before their abduction, find themselves both suspicious of the Fetches left behind, and drawn unknowingly into the Hedge, drawn to their Changeling and their promise. Some wander back out of the Hedge, some meet their Changeling in the Hedge as he or she is escaping. Some are sacrificed by their Changeling, some move parallel to their Changeling, missing them and ending up in Arcadia, likely to be captured and changed themselves. Their link to Changelings and the time in the Hedge has altered them. Their exact abilities are not yet known, but in the Hill materials they store & use Glamour, have a seeming and mein based on their linked Changeling’s, and Contracts of their seemings Regalia at least. They however retain Integrity rather than Clarity & are more mortal than Changeling. Rose Bailey has said that people descended from the Fae (changelings, goblins, etc) would be a post-corebook topic.

Settings – the Freeholds: Mentioned by the new development team: Reykjavik (seasonal groups, but not called Courts & quite different from mainstream Seasonal Courts), Hong Kong. In the Hill Materials: Toronto & Honshu, and a Court Creation example from Michigan.
    Rose Bailey has confirmed the names of the 4 settings' freeholds and signature settings in the 2e corebook:
    • 89 Dreams of Home (Toronto?)
    • The Council of Elves (Reykjavik?)
    • Hard-a-Lee (?)
    • Tumbledown Market (New Orleans: French Quarter Market Courts of Coin, Barter, Favors & Shady Deals)
    Antagonists: the Gentry (former masters and current lords of Arcadia, though not Arcadia's creators. They are at their core a Name, their own True Name, existentially bound by oaths to 1 to 5 Titles, each Title granting immense power in a given sphere and able to bargain with an entire Regalia of Contracts, gaining a physical embodiment of that Regalia to hold. These oaths also provide banes and vulnerabilities related to the oaths. Iron is a bane for all Gentry. They cancreate, but prefer to twist & change what already exists) the Huntsmen (whose name is attached to the signature chronicle and anthology of the 2e Changeling line. inhabitants of Arcadia predating the Gentry, whose hearts were taken by the invading Gentry and used as their current Huntsmen state to retrieve the Lost. Their hearts are hiden in mortal dream Bastions to allow them to be both flesh and Fae. May be bargained with in certain circumstances. If their heart is found, they could be killed or freed of the Title controlling them.), Loyalists (Changelings still in the service of the Gentry allowed back to earth on missions from their masters), & Hedge denizens at times (Goblins, Hedge-Ghosts). Hobgoblins and Huntsmen are built like Horrors, but have Wyrd and use Glamour

Anthology: At WWP for Approval

Future Books: the Hedge on all things goblin and Hedge related is in the Current Projects page

As there have been a number of folks working on this and the work is not yet complete, this is what I’ve been able to glean from various posts. If something has been revealed that contradicts something written above, do kindly post the correct information AND THE SOURCE LINK FOR YOUR CORRECTION (I strive for accuracy and with the change of developers there may be confusion) and let me know so I can fix it (summer break is upon me, so I’ll have some extra time (I hope lol).
    Last edited by Robert D; 08-03-2017, 01:17 PM.

I am actually reading the first edition of Changeling: The Lost and will be playing in a game soon on our channel, but I will definitely be picking up CtL 2nd Edition. Did they do a Kickstarter for this?

For different game play videos of White Wolf Games from my play group
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBU...IhwsM3kHK56SRA
    https://soundcloud.com/twin-cities-by-night
    If you want to find White Wolf game play media or subject matter media
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/862703457198327/

Comment

I don't think that they have really done Kickstarters for the 2nd Edition CoD games, so no.

Comment

Originally posted by ffanxii4ever View Post
        I don't think that they have really done Kickstarters for the 2nd Edition CoD games, so no.
        They did Beast the Primordial which is a 2E game :P

Comment

Originally posted by Volke View Post
          They did Beast the Primordial which is a 2E game :P
          Beast: the Primordial is an entirely new game and not Beast: the Primordial Second Edition, is their point.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Granted, there's been a little bit of talk on giving the remaining 2E's a Kickstarter.

Nothing's come of it yet, but still.

Comment

In the past, Onyx Path has tended not to do Kickstarters for new editions of previously published games. So yes for things like Demon, Beast, and Deviant; no for Vampire, Mage, Werewolf, etc. However, Rich has suggested he's considering doing KSes for some of the remaining second editions, but nothing has been confirmed.

(There was a Changeling: The DreamingKS, but that's WoD, not CofD).

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
              I podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love

Comment

They haven't finished writing the book yet. If they do a KS, it will be after the book is finished. Instead of a note in the Meeting Notes about the book coming out "on Wednesday", a Kickstart release will be announced. Probably months away from either happening. Well, that is actually a definite. The "probably" is more whether it is a couple, few or several and it will probably () be closer to the latter than the former.

Comment

We're considering a Kickstarter, but have not made our decision yet. The important thing right now is getting the manuscript done. Which we're pretty close to.

Rose Bailey
                  Onyx Path Development Producer
                  Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
                    We're considering a Kickstarter, but have not made our decision yet. The important thing right now is getting the manuscript done. Which we're pretty close to.
                    I'm rooting for a kickstarter, they have a way of adding an energy to the project, plus it will help give you ideas as to what people want to see the most in The Hedge.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
                      Any chance of more developer blog posts?

Comment

As per MM, the written manuscript is (finally) at nuWW for approvals.

CofD booklists:
                        Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                          As per MM, the written manuscript is (finally) at nuWW for approvals.
                          AWESOME NEWS! Congrats to the Changeling the Lost 2E team . with the manuscript complete and off to approvals, perhaps we'll see some more previews ? ? ?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert D View Post
                            AWESOME NEWS! Congrats to the Changeling the Lost 2E team . with the manuscript complete and off to approvals, perhaps we'll see some more previews ? ? ?
                            I hope so. And a kickstarter some time in August I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

I hope so. And a kickstarter some time in August I hope.
                              It's not very likely there will be a Kickstarter. What would be the point of kickstarting at this point when there is nothing additional to add? The project is pretty much finished. It's getting approval and then it will be in our hands. A Kickstarter would delay that. I'd rather they did a presale of the PDF.

Comment

Working...
                              X