Court contracts on 2e?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court contracts on 2e?

I'm trying to run a changeling in my cross-gameline game by the available 2e info, but cannot understand how court contracts work or if they even still exist. Can anyone explain these to me in 'crunch' terms? I have trouble pulling the rules out of the multiple pages of narrative. :/

Originally posted by Snapdragyn View Post
    I'm trying to run a changeling in my cross-gameline game by the available 2e info, but cannot understand how court contracts work or if they even still exist. Can anyone explain these to me in 'crunch' terms? I have trouble pulling the rules out of the multiple pages of narrative. :/
    Last I check, we have no official, concrete information on 2e Court Contracts.

All we know for sure is that they'll be structured differently from Arcadian Contracts (which from the sound of things is going to make up the former Universal Contracts and Seemings Contracts) and Goblin Contracts...and that's it.

Comment

The preview for the Japan setting had some example court contracts. They're almost certainly not how things will look in the final release, given the change of lead dev, but they're all we have to go on.

Comment

I believe the basic structure of Court Contracts is similar to Acadian Contacts, but not organized by Regalia.

Royal Court Contracts are the really powerful ones, and the Common Court Contracts the cheaper regular ones.

Just a guess, but I think it's likely that Court Contracts use Mantle instead of wyrd in their die pools, making them potentially have larger pools early on (you can have ••••• mantle at character creation) at the expense of lower pools at 6+ wyrd compared to Arcadian and Goblin Contracts. Just speculation my part, but speculation I'm very confediant in.

We do know that for some reason Court Contracts, both Royal and Common are more expensive then Arcadian Contracts (the least expensive being Goblin Contracts and Common Arcadian Contracts that you have favoured Regalia for.).
        Last edited by Omegaphallic; 09-01-2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

"Yep. Here are the experience costs:

Common Regalia/Court Contracts: 3

Royal Regalia/Court Contracts: 4

Favored Regalia Common Contracts: 2

Favored Regalia Royal Contracts: 3

Goblin Contract: 2

Out-of-Seeming Contract Benefit: 1

Wyrd: 5 per dot

Lost Willpower dot: 1"

Comment

Here are some of the Autumn Contracts.

(Sorry I haven't been around much lately; I had emergency surgery the first day of Gen Con, and have been out a bunch as a result.)

Last Harvest (Common)

The changeling brings human emotions to their ripest point, ready for Autumn harvest.

Cost: 1 Glamour

Dice Pool: None

Action: Instant

Duration: One harvesting attempt

Effects: The character whispers to a target softly, telling her secrets he heard from the autumn wind. He gains the 9-again quality on his next roll to harvest Glamour from that target, or 8-again if it resonates with his court. He may only use this Contract once per chapter.

Loophole: The changeling targets his own Touchstone.

Tale of the Baba Yaga (Common)

The changeling gathers his audience close to him, spinning a frightful tale of stalkers that hide under the floorboards and beasts that feast on human flesh. Roll once to invoke this Contract; each target contests it individually. This Contract takes at least a few minutes to invoke.

Dice Pool: Manipulation + Subterfuge + Mantle vs. Composure + Supernatural Tolerance

Action: Contested

Roll Results

Dramatic Failure: The changeling scares himself and gains the Shaken Condition.

Failure: The Contract fails.

Success: Making eye contact with his audience, the changeling inflicts the Shaken Condition on one, some, or all of them, at his option.

Exceptional Success: Anyone affected by this Contract also must spend a Willpower point to act against the changeling for the duration.

Loophole: The changeling weaves this Contract into a tale the audience is already familiar with, though he can make variations and deviations on it as he wants.

Famine’s Bulwark (Royal)

Autumn prepares for the long Winter ahead by gathering as much knowledge as it can fathom. The changeling looks to the omens in dried leaves and birds’ migration patterns to foretell doom.

Dice Pool: Wits + Occult + Mantle

Duration: Instant

Roll Results

Dramatic Failure: The Storyteller gives the player a false omen, about which the changeling gains the temporary Obsession Condition, which resolves when he lands himself or his allies in hot water pursuing the specious doom.

Success: For each success on the invocation roll, the player may ask the Storyteller one yes-or-no question about the current situation and receive true answers to all but one of them — one answer is always false, unless he only rolls one success.

Exceptional Success: All of the answers are true. In addition, the changeling also gleans the path toward the nearest non-fae supernatural phenomenon or being. He doesn’t know its location, but his instincts take him there, as long as he makes the journey within the same scene that he invoked the Contract.

Loophole: The character eats the most recent fruit of a plant they themselves raised.

Mien of the Baba Yaga (Royal)

The changeling appears as his target's greatest fear. He approaches his target from behind, around the corner, from darkness, or another place she can't see. Autumn winds carry the sound of his approach — his fingernails screeching along the wall, or his soft, cackling laughter.

Cost: 2 Glamour

Dice Pool: Presence + Intimidation + Mantle vs. Composure + Supernatural Tolerance

Action: Contested

Roll Results

Dramatic Failure: The changeling believes the target is his greatest fear, and gains the Spooked Condition.

Success: When the changeling comes into the target’s line of sight, she sees him as her greatest fear. She instantly gains the Frightened Condition, and must spend a point of Willpower to take any action that requires dice for the duration. Changeling targets may suffer an attack on their Clarity, at their players’ (or the Storyteller’s) discretion, depending on the fear evoked. The changeling may let observers also see him as the target's greatest fear, and they react accordingly.

Exceptional Success: The target also gains the Immobilized Tilt for a number of turns equal to the changeling's Mantle.

Loophole: The changeling whispers the name or title of the target's greatest fear. He must be specific: for example, “The Lord of All Things Lost and Found,” rather than “your Keeper.”

Riding the Falling Leaves (Royal)

The changeling becomes an avatar of Autumn. Wind gathers around him, drawing in autumn leaves until he merges with them.

Cost: 2 Glamour

Dice Pool: Dexterity + Occult + Mantle

Roll Results

Dramatic Failure: The changeling coughs up leaves, caught halfway to transformation, and suffers the Immobilized Tilt for (Mantle) turns.

Success: The changeling transforms into a spray of autumn leaves in all the colors of earth and fire. He is a single entity, and resistant to scattering. He may Dodge reflexively once per turn, except against attacks that could reasonably harm a pile of leaves, such as flames or supernatural winds. If he successfully Dodges an attack this way, he may spend another point of Glamour to inflict the Spooked Condition on his opponent. He can fly at his usual Speed −3, and can flatten his body to slip through small openings. He cannot manipulate objects or physically attack.

Exceptional Success: The character may fly at his full Speed. He can also “pick up” and carry through the air a number of objects equal to his Mantle, each no larger than Size 1.

Loophole: The character catches a falling leaf at the moment of the Contract’s invocation. Throwing and catching a leaf himself fulfills this Loophole.
            Last edited by Rose Bailey; 09-18-2017, 02:20 PM.

Rose Bailey
            Onyx Path Development Producer
            Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

So, one thing to note, given that a target decides when to resolve Shaken or Spooked, isn't reliance on those conditions for the 'meat' of an effect like Tale of the Baba Yaga not in and of itself very useful? Though, if you added in a simple note that the Changeling decides when Shaken gets resolved, that could make it much better without any further tweaking.

My CofD Homebrew

Comment

Is there a reason Famine's Bulwark doesn't have a Loophole?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                  Is there a reason Famine's Bulwark doesn't have a Loophole?
                  Copy-paste error on my part.

Rose Bailey
                  Onyx Path Development Producer
                  Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post

Mien of the Baba Yaga (Royal)
                    Was Baba Yaga an Autumn Queen?

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. But this is what these Autumn abilities were called back in 1e, so the name got carried over to 2e. There hasn't been word on what Baba Yaga is in the past, so I doubt we'll get it in the future. Its like Winter Court and Santa. There's a lot of Christmas themes in Winter Court, but there's never been any definitive thing if Santa is related to the Court at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
                        Here are some of the Autumn Contracts.

(Sorry I haven't been around much lately; I had emergency surgery the first day of Gen Con, and have been out a bunch as a result.)
                        That's terrible. I certainly hope things are improving for you now. The Contracts, on the other hand, are awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing the others when the book comes out.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                        Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Cool: good to know that Court Contracts also have the Common/Royal divide that Arcadian Contracts also have.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                            Was Baba Yaga an Autumn Queen?
                            Slavic folklore has her as a staple bogey matched by few other fictional characters appropriate to Changeling's particular narrative domain.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                            Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

It's interesting that the court contracts don't innately have Seeming bonuses; I wonder if that's a form of trade-off for using non-Regalia contracts? Less likelihood of the Gentry being able to know the contracts, but less versitility/potency in them? Did the Goblin contracts have Seeming bonuses?

Also, I hope that you're feeling better Rose, and that your recovery is swift. It sounds like the surgery went relatively well though, which I'm very happy for.

Comment

Working...
                              X