Changeling Kickstarter Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lady Gray View Post
    I assumed the seeming bonus to contracts was just meant for those specific seemings. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't think you were strictly meant to design bonuses for them-they were just incentives for those seemings.
    It says that the two shown are examples iirc and that GMs should feel free to add additional ones for the other seemings (presumably because writing six of them for each arcadian contract would take up much more time and space than just thinking up a seeming benefit for the seeming associated with it's regalia + a single other thematic seeming).

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenesis View Post
      Now that I've had a chance to read it, I can actually comment on some content-things -
      I think the biggest thing the homebrew chapter is missing is worked examples, using one of the published contract/court/kith sets as a way to mechanically build using these guidelines. While they're not core-books, both Equinox Road in 1E (Courts and Contracts) and Demon's Storyteller's Guide (Interlocks) had some very nice worked examples which actually explained the reasoning behind the design choices made for those examples. Particular shout out to the Reflections contract series, it's a player favourite.

Ultimately the big problem is that it's there's the broad guidelines and the end results (e.g. the published contract/court/kith sets) and there's no guidance on how to get from the start point (general guidelines) to the endpoint (functional game mechanic) and why you'd make certain decisions. And I say this as someone who's happy homebrewing anything, ever.
      I can see where you're coming from with this. Do you think that it would help anyone if I worked their Windwing example? It wouldn't be official, but it would connect to the section anyway. I could even work my Chirurgeon update while I'm at it, to show one that doesn't follow the rules precisely. I'm willing to do this, although it might take a few days to get it up, as I'm currently out of town for my brother's wedding.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
      Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

• Also for the record, the only problem that I don't think can be remedied is the court contract balance. (Because even with a team of professional developers on hand every step of the way, designing 2 disciplines worth of powers still requires a fair amount of effort.)

The solution to the kith problem really is just "publish more kiths." I don't actually need infinite kiths, I just want there to be an evocative choice for most characters, and we lack options for "made of tough stuff" or "one with nature."

I don't need every possible mantle bonus broken down, but more than a few paragraphs would be appreciated to help ensure that each court is distinct and interesting to play, rather than just reskinned versions of each other. (also maybe some example effects for the 5th dot that are modular, because "unique supernatural effect" doesn't really offer much to work from.)

Comment

• Soooo... It looks like Darker Days Radio is interviewing Meghan on Saturday. If you've got Changeling questions, go post them on DDR's facebook!

CofD booklists:
          Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
            Suddenly I'm less apprehensive about presenting any potential Changeling ST with my idea for a custom merit to produce ink from his claws and fingers...and have a desire to purchase Changeling: The Dreaming 20th anniversary edition.
            C20 is excellent and worth your time. It's a game about bittersweet truth also, but in a very different way from its Chronicles of Darkness cousin.

And for what it's worth, I wouldn't disallow the ink. Seems like something that would be fun to hash out as a custom kith.

Comment

• Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post
              Because as the problem comes from the player being happy and the Dm not. Or vice-versa.
              Then the ST and the player compromise and works something out so both parties are happy.

Simple enough.

I don't miss your point, just pointing out that quotes come from a game whose system is notoriously easy to break and which even people who like the game admit the system is godawful. Again is like hearing from the soviet union on the unimportance of safety measure on the nuclear plant during Chernobyl.
              You're still missing the point.

The point wasn't to compare the two different core systems of WoD and CofD. The point was to point out the side-bar of "player and ST fun should come first over game balance".

Also, I fundamentally disagree with the notion that you seem to have that CofD is ripe for easy meta-gaming when it's not. D&D and Pathfinder are over there, not here.

Comment

• Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

I can see where you're coming from with this. Do you think that it would help anyone if I worked their Windwing example? It wouldn't be official, but it would connect to the section anyway. I could even work my Chirurgeon update while I'm at it, to show one that doesn't follow the rules precisely. I'm willing to do this, although it might take a few days to get it up, as I'm currently out of town for my brother's wedding.
                I for one, absolutely think that would help.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• The expanded stuff on Fetches and Bridgeburners is pretty great! I have several ideas for Bridgeburners that might make compelling post-fetch level antagonists.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

• Originally posted by xiongrey View Post
                    The expanded stuff on Fetches and Bridgeburners is pretty great! I have several ideas for Bridgeburners that might make compelling post-fetch level antagonists.
                    Fetches grow in power with you, so I don't think there is a Fetch level.

Comment

• Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

I think that'd be fantastic.

All systems have a lot of baked in assumptions that aren't necessarily player facing, so even just working through the assumptions (like when the various CoD combat discussions come up, the idea that dicepools are deliberately engineered to be low so you burn willpower constantly) makes it easier to design things.

Comment

• Okay, I'll start working on it and post it up when I'm able. Hopefully that will help.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                        Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

• We are in the last six days, hopefully it goes really well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

Fetches grow in power with you, so I don't think there is a Fetch level.
                            That's true, I thought about that after I posted. Its hard to really place a Fetch anywhere on the 'Scale' of power-level. But that brings me to one of the things I love about the new Fetches: their scalability! If the players don't really want to do the interpersonal fresh-outa-hedge Fetch stories but aren't adverse to the Fetch being involved at somepoint, they're just as viable for emotional drama later in the story as they are just out of the gate!

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                              Fetches grow in power with you
                              Which manuscript preview is this in?
                              Last edited by nofather; 12-07-2017, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• nofather the third.

​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

http://harenm.deviantart.com/gallery/ for my art.

Comment

Working...
                                X