Changeling Kickstarter Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
    From a setting or design standpoint, what does it mean that some Contracts require Willpower to activate?
    Some Contracts by default require a Willpower, yes. Evoking the Loophole of a Contract also doesn't waive the Wilpower cost, just the Glamour.

Comment

• Originally posted by Taidragon View Post

Some Contracts by default require a Willpower, yes. Evoking the Loophole of a Contract also doesn't waive the Wilpower cost, just the Glamour.
      Right. What I mean is, what makes a Contract cost Willpower alongside Glamour? Is there an underlying logic? I'm especially wondering since in the setting Contracts are described as mystical bargains between a changeling as a supernatural force, so what does it mean that for some of these bargains, one has to give away a small bit of oneself in order to get results?

Comment

• Originally posted by BetterWorldz View Post

9) Hunterhearts now have a choice between Survival and Investigation for their Kith Blessing (used to be Investigation only).
        10) Theif of Reason (Sword) now has an Elemental seeming effect instead of a Beast one.

Comment

• Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post

Right. What I mean is, what makes a Contract cost Willpower alongside Glamour? Is there an underlying logic? I'm especially wondering since in the setting Contracts are described as mystical bargains between a changeling as a supernatural force, so what does it mean that for some of these bargains, one has to give away a small bit of oneself in order to get results?
          These are usually contracts that deal with imposing your will on the scenario. This includes contracts that let you turn back time by ten seconds, to push fate towards a particular (if vague) outcome, or to make sure that at a meeting between potentially hostile people nobody does anything violent towards one another. Mechanically, this prevents the player from abusing the power of these contracts by imposing a cost that is harder to get/negate than Glamour via the Loophole. In-universe, it could easily be that for the contract to work the Changeling needs to invest some pretty serious effort to get the job done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
            Changeling Jumpstart is in second drafts.
            I'm pretty excited for this, do you think it'll take more than a month to finish up? I wouldn't think that too much would need to go into a jumpstart after the book is released.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

• Originally posted by xiongrey View Post
              I'm pretty excited for this, do you think it'll take more than a month to finish up? I wouldn't think that too much would need to go into a jumpstart after the book is released.
              Final drafts isn't the last phase; after that's done, there are a bunch more phases. Several development passes, editing, layout and art direction, proofing, etc. So yes, more than a month.

Meghan Fitzgerald | Onyx Path freelance writer & developer
              Changeling: The Lost 2e developer

Comment

• Jumpstart's off at Development while the Companion is now in Second Drafts!

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                  Jumpstart's off at Development while the Companion is now in Second Drafts!
                  It seems to be moving up in a good pace, I hope they introduce Kith and Kin soon.

Comment

• Looks like the speedy development keeps going, since the Jumpstart is now off to Editing!

Comment

Looks like the speedy development keeps going, since the Jumpstart is now off to Editing!
                      I have a feeling that the Companion will be in Development in a week or two. And Art direction will be extremely brief when it gets there, as I don't think they are commissioning new art for it except maybe the cover, and maybe chapter titles or something minor like that.

Also the Jumpstart and Companion are moving so quickly because A) they are small, the Companion only has 4 Chapters, no chapter fiction, little if any new art, and are very focused, and the Jumpstart is smaller then the Companion B) All the tough ground work for things like the Changeling template, the Hedge, and so on are already done, ect..., these are just some supplemary rules and examples of those rules, and not supplenary in the way of Signs of Sorcery which is like the second half of the corebook, but a small handful of additions and a small intro adventure.

Kith and Kin as well as The Hedge will likely take much longer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                        I have a feeling that the Companion will be in Development in a week or two. And Art direction will be extremely brief when it gets there, as I don't think they are commissioning new art for it except maybe the cover, and maybe chapter titles or something minor like that.

Also the Jumpstart and Companion are moving so quickly because A) they are small, the Companion only has 4 Chapters, no chapter fiction, little if any new art, and are very focused, and the Jumpstart is smaller then the Companion B) All the tough ground work for things like the Changeling template, the Hedge, and so on are already done, ect..., these are just some supplemary rules and examples of those rules, and not supplenary in the way of Signs of Sorcery which is like the second half of the corebook, but a small handful of additions and a small intro adventure.
                        I mean. That's a lot of assumptions you're making there on very little information.

Unless if I missed something and there was a rough page count estimate dropped somewhere.

Comment

• yeah, there hasn't been much talk about the page counts or art for the Jumpstart and Companion. Omegaphallic, being an ardent fan of the game, is most likely speculating using information gleaned from previous supplements that OPP has kickstarted in the past.

Comment

• Now when it comes to the Jumpstart, yes it's probably reasonable to assume it will have a relatively small page count. Art work, not so much.

I got my C20 jumpstart over here. And while there is reused art from the C20 corebook, there is actually quite a bit of original artwork in it.

And CtD was always one of the less popular WoD gamelines. Versus the way more popular CtL.

Comment

Now when it comes to the Jumpstart, yes it's probably reasonable to assume it will have a relatively small page count. Art work, not so much.

I got my C20 jumpstart over here. And while there is reused art from the C20 corebook, there is actually quite a bit of original artwork in it.

And CtD was always one of the less popular WoD gamelines. Versus the way more popular CtL.
                              Really, I didn't expect they'd use the limited funds towards much in the way of art.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firefly Night View Post
                                yeah, there hasn't been much talk about the page counts or art for the Jumpstart and Companion. Omegaphallic, being an ardent fan of the game, is most likely speculating using information gleaned from previous supplements that OPP has kickstarted in the past.
                                What I did, was note the Kickstarter goal of $50,000, compared it to what I believed was the basic funding level for the Jumpstart and Companion, looked at how many subjects for the Companion we hit as stretch goals, and then noted how fast they we're moving through the process compared to a lot of other books.

I estimate depending on how much art they get that they will be available in 2 to 3 months, before 2019.

I also estimate Kith and Kin will take longer then both the Companion and Jumpstart combined, as the funding for that is likely nearly as large as the asking funding (not including stretch goals, just initial funding) for Changeling corebook. And it will have at least 6 Chapters, possibly an intro as well,
                                and a Kin Chapter as well. That one I suspect will get more art too. Also remember that the stretch goals for Kith and Kin are to expand the already planned book, so it's funding will be larger then just what was stretch goaled for it.

The Hedge I have no idea as I have nothing to base an estimate on, as it wasn't discussed in the Kickstarter.

Comment

Working...
                                X