Changeling Kickstarter Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So we are funded 😁

And just to add something to the discussion. I dont have the same level of insight as some of you to into previous projects or what have happened in development. But what I do know is what I liked about games like Vampire the Requiem 2nd edition, and that was that everything in both fluff and rules sort of represented what is what like being a vampire, which made it easy to run a game with every type of player, both the player who want to count the dots on the sheet, and the ones who creates sheets for just her backstory. And when I read Changeling 2nd I get the same feeling, everything seems geared towards what it's like being one of the lost. Quality over quantity.

Comment

• There's a lot of "demonstrate by example" in these early chapters, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I'm hoping at least in character creation has some discrete elevator pitches for the various x and y splats.

The new seemings seem pretty solid across the board, in that each has some real potential for story impact. I think the most worrisome of the bunch is actually the Wizened blessing, as (assuming the Build Equipment action is as in the corebook) its the one blessing that requires you to have a specific dice pool in order to function. While the crafter wizened will always be a cherished archetype, I think the soldier and chirurgeon kith's may have a bit more of struggle to use their blessing than most other changelings. (Ogres have this problem to lesser degree but presumably the blessing applies equally to sorcerous blasts as it does fists or firearms). The rest of the Seeming blessings just work (most of the time.)

The short kith list is a bit worrisome, particularly as the list is by no means all-encompassing (though there are some neat surprises there.) Ultimately final judgement in that regard is reserved until we see how robust the rules for creating your own is. If I can throw together some new kiths without having to really fret about game balance, I can wait for a kithbook.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
        Actually, you know what, I have something I want to clarify.
        For a long time now, I haven't felt terribly excited by any games I've purchased. I haven't hated anything-- I like to think I can recognize and appreciate good craftsmanship, and I've operated based on that appreciation. But up until now, nothing's really grabbed me and spoken to me, the way I could swear games used to when I was younger. At a certain point, I started to assume that maybe this is how my life with games would be: intellectually intrigued enough to continue, but more or less emotionally impoverished.

After I backed this Kickstarter and read the first two chapters, I can say that's changed. It's not much, but I feel some of the old spark coming back, and maybe-- maybe, maybe--- winter melting away.

So thank you, Rose. One person very much appreciates what you do. I look forward to the next updates.

Comment

• Finished reading the seemings, not really liking the writing style so far. It just seems to obfuscate everything for me by having everything be flowery examples rather than an actual description.

Edit: Chapter two having so many little patches of narrative examples.... yeah don't think this book is for me. Really hope this doesn't end up being the style new 2e books are presented in.
          Last edited by milo v3; 11-14-2017, 08:36 PM.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

• So 50 minutes after funding and we are well over a third of the way to the first stretch goal. Good times.

CofD booklists:
            Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

• Funded!!

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
              .... Given beasts have Grim as a nickname, I'm guessing the Grim seeming has been retconned out of existence?
              That seeming is the Grimm seeming. As in, Grimm's fairy tales. The Beasts are nicknamed Grims after the fairy spirits of English folklore that sometimes guard churches and appear as black dogs or other animals. I hope this clears things up for you!

Meghan Fitzgerald | Onyx Path Freelance Writer & Developer

Comment

• hhooray! we're funded. and I must say Ogre's resonate with me on a level where if I should ever play in a game that's the first character I'm gonna try.

also just started into the court section and while I'm sure I'll find something I like in all of them Spring is rather lovely really.

Comment

• So excited!!!! It is awesome how fast the kickstarter was funded! Bodes well for future 2nd edition CoD kickstarters I'd say . Been devouring the Manuscript preview and am loving it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                    So 50 minutes after funding and we are well over a third of the way to the first stretch goal. Good times.
                    ...and now we're halfway through. That was fast.

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

...and now we're halfway through. That was fast.
                      61% now. It would be cool to knock off all three stretch goals in the first 24 hours.

CofD booklists:

Comment

• Originally posted by Rose Bailey View Post
                        Actually, you know what, I have something I want to clarify.

You "know OP is a business." Your conclusion is that that's why we made a game you don't like.

Onyx Path is indeed a business. It sells games, and employs me to make those games for people.

But... y'know... I'm also me. I'm not a business. I'm Rose, a girl who got the drafts of this game's first edition when she was working in a moldy basement trying to recover from her own durance. Changeling is as important to me as it is to anyone here. It told me my pain was real and that there was life past it. It was magical, in the most beautiful and most frightening senses of that word. It made me feel, to borrow another writer on the project's words, feel seen.

Changeling was a big part of why I took the chance on applying for a job at the original White Wolf. A while later, it was the backdrop for the longest, best, and most intimate game I ever played in. Changeling has been here for me at the weirdest times, as I've walked between seasons much the way we all do.

If you don't like the version of the game I worked on, then okay. I've been doing this a long time now, I know that not everything I do resonates with every potential player. But don't pull out that "business" talk. Don't talk like I (and the other creators) didn't put our hearts into this game for very personal reasons. That we don't care.

I'm not a business. I'm a creator. So's everyone who contributed to this game. I, and we, love this game and what it can be as much as you or anyone else. As much as anyone can. Truly. Deeply. Madly. Please try to respect that.
                        And.. I want to clarify too, Rose, since this came up. It's actually at the root of my main concern.

I'm not judging your work. I can't, because I can't see it. "Pay $5 and see, then retract if you don't like it" might seem like an easy thing to ask, but in my circumstances it actually isn't. The whyfors of that aren't anything relevant to this.

When Beast was on Kickstarter, there was text posted up to see and judge. This time there isn't, and that is my main issue. Hearing there's only a handful of Kiths in the Core worries me, but that's not an artistic judgment - personally, I loved the extended write-ups from Winter Masques back in the day so I'm not at all opposed to the format, quite the opposite in fact! - but it does seem like that's a bit light on what, to me at least,is a rather integral part of the game.

So, by the way the Kickstarter has been done this time around,I honestly can't get a good read on the changes made to the "Lost 2e" I had become familiar with. All I can judge is the way this has been handled, and without knowing why it was handled that way at that. That's what I mean by 'business decision' - I'm sure there is some loss by those who just downloaded the previews before and then decided not to get the actual book. I get that cutting that risk makes sound business sense.

Thus, and apologies if I gave offense without intending it (Gods know, I seem bad for that). My issue has precisely nothing to do with the work done on the new take of Lost 2e - aside, again, the apparent small amount of Kiths available upfront. It's that these substantial changes aren't being shown up-front so I can judge, which seems like a business-focused choice, please correct me if I'm wrong here?

[As far as your work goes, personally? Huge fan - Requiem 2E is my favorite take on Vamp ever]

Comment

• After a quick read through, it seems like a decent successor to 1ed Lost. It has very much the same feel and considering how much I've loved and played that game, that's a good thing. The only things that have disappointed me so far is the new emphasis on Spring sexcapades. I always found it obnoxious in 1ed when players would always interprete Spring's desire as 'seduce everything whether it moves or not' and 2ed has emphasized that aspect of desire even more than 1ed did. It's not horrible from a purely textual point of view but in practice it's going to mean not playing the game with those people- which may mean not playing the game at all unfortunately. Then, as others have mentioned, the kith section is deeply disappointing in terms of its selection. Only 12? Each kith is VERY wordy and could easily have their word count cut in half and instead double the number of kiths we have available. Helldiver seems neat. The Siren Song power is as obnoxious as the 1ed merit was but is now free instead of costing merit dots. Notary kith's Abatement power seems exceptionally underpowered to the point of uselessness. On the other hand, the Hedge section was nice and the additions of the Dreaming Roads and Halls of Mirrors are intriguing even while the Hedge itself is comfortably familiar. I hope those get more fleshing out later in the book instead of being short throw-away paragraphs.

Comment

• found out as i was leaving my office today that this game was up on kickstarter. delighted to learn that it had already funded and pledged a hundo.

going through the preview and i am super excited. i haven't made much time for roleplaying games in my life lately, been too focused on chasing paper. silicon valley is hella expensive and going hard on weekends is rough on the bank account.

but this game. this game makes me want to call in the old squad of over the hill misfits turned respectable. they said that if i ever decided to run another game, that they would make rooms in their schedules for at least 3 hour session a week. the last time any of us gamed was 2011.

six years. and the last game i ran for them was changeling: the lost 1e.

thank you for this, changeling: the lost creative team.

oh, and will there be like ... a extra special version of this book released? like "deluxe"? asking for a friend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                              But what I do know is what I liked about games like Vampire the Requiem 2nd edition, and that was that everything in both fluff and rules sort of represented what is what like being a vampire, which made it easy to run a game with every type of player, both the player who want to count the dots on the sheet, and the ones who creates sheets for just her backstory. And when I read Changeling 2nd I get the same feeling, everything seems geared towards what it's like being one of the lost. Quality over quantity.
                              I'm glad you like that! One of my main interests in writing and playing these games is experiencing lives I can relate to, but which are made different by the presence of the supernatural. I like getting into speculative experience, and I want the books to be very vivid and up-front about what it's like to be a changeling or a vampire. And focusing books on that is, I hope, very practical, because it lets you know what the game is like to play.

(I have quite extensive thoughts on the relationship between empathy and horror, and my contributions to CtL2 are very much informed by them.)

Rose Bailey
                              Onyx Path Development Producer
                              Cavaliers of Mars Creator | Chronicles of Darkness Lead Developer

Retired as forum administrator. Please direct inquiries to the Contact Us link.

Comment

• And there is one stretch goal down!

CofD booklists:

Comment

Working...
                                X