Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[2E] Clarity works like Health?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [2E] Clarity works like Health?

    Am I getting it right reading of preview that in Rose-Megan CtL 2E Clarity works more or less like 'mental Health'?

    I read correctly that we have box track equal to Wits + Composure and any destabilization of changelings perception is 'attack' with base 'damage' that then you roll and see how many boxes you mark with mild Clarity damage ( marked with '/' ) and severe damage ( marked with 'X' ), yes?

    Typical damage will be rolling of characters number of dices equal to Wyrd, yes?

    As normal interactions can make 'Clarity damage', it seems it can easily end with very 'damaged' characters. I seen something about Icons lost in Arcadia rising Clarity boxes -

    Does it work that my character may come to Faerie, find lost pieces of his being - and by this add some new boxes on Clarity track, yes? How much, if someone spotted them?

    And that characters Touchstones somehow make those Clarity damage less potent?


    My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

  • #2
    An icon is a single Clairty box. There was mention that other milestones, like dealing with your huntsman and fetch, might generate more Clarity boxes.
    Touchstones help heal Clarity damage.

    Clarity is a lot like Harmony, in that its meant to go up and down over the course of play.

    Comment


    • #3
      Unless the Clarity attack is magical, it has to hit a breaking point, with various things modifying the dice pool and then it's possible to cause 0 damage.

      Example a 1 Wyrd Changeling decides to Reap someone which is a 5 dice breaking point, but if it's a stranger subtract 2 dice, no emotional attachment subtracts another die (like it doesn't bother you reaping this person), so you rolling two dice to see if you get hit by a Clarity attack.

      If the Clarity attack hits, roll your Wyrd as a pool to see if you how much clarity damage you take (zero is possible). In this case with a Wyrd of 1 you only roll 1 die. If it dramatically fails you not only take zero damage you get a willpower point back.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MCN View Post
        An icon is a single Clairty box. There was mention that other milestones, like dealing with your huntsman and fetch, might generate more Clarity boxes.
        Touchstones help heal Clarity damage.
        So we talk about Maximum Clarity like 20 boxes? 30 maybe? I wonder how to mark this trait on char sheet. How many Icons character can restore from Arcadia? Wits + Composure pool cannot be more than 10 in most characters.


        My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
        LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

        Comment


        • #5
          It seems like clarity damage is to hard to get and way to easy to get rid of actually. And though i like that it is based upon attributes, some valid concern is given above in this thread in where the most powerful changelings could easily stack 10+ levels without any real effort.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Poseur View Post
            It seems like clarity damage is to hard to get and way to easy to get rid of actually. And though i like that it is based upon attributes, some valid concern is given above in this thread in where the most powerful changelings could easily stack 10+ levels without any real effort.
            I think it's more of a problem at lower Wyrd levels, where you're not even taking damage to your Clarity most of the time (Wyrd 1 means 1 dice worth of damage). At Wyrd 10, and 2 Attributes at 10, Clarity of 20 to 25 is possible, but you're swinging 10 dice Wyrd at it, taking chunks off it at a time.

            18 hits of 1 Wyrd each to fill up your ~6 starting Clarity, compared to 6-8 hits of 10 Wyrd to fill up 20-25 Clarity.

            I should note, this is rough off the top of my head stuff, so I may be missing something that makes Clarity more at risk at low Wyrd.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tarion View Post
              I think it's more of a problem at lower Wyrd levels, where you're not even taking damage to your Clarity most of the time (Wyrd 1 means 1 dice worth of damage). At Wyrd 10, and 2 Attributes at 10, Clarity of 20 to 25 is possible, but you're swinging 10 dice Wyrd at it, taking chunks off it at a time.

              18 hits of 1 Wyrd each to fill up your ~6 starting Clarity, compared to 6-8 hits of 10 Wyrd to fill up 20-25 Clarity.

              I should note, this is rough off the top of my head stuff, so I may be missing something that makes Clarity more at risk at low Wyrd.

              Yes I agree on this being of different levels of a problem on low vs high Wyrd rating. I like this new Clarity rules, however they are not without issue. I think the problem is that it's a double dice roll for damage, like the oWoD did. To much dice rolls. Like low wyrd, you get a lot of breaking points but usually no damage, at high wyrd you get as many breaking points (at least for the sake of argument) but you get more damage, although you might have a higher health bar. The damage is way to easy to resolve though, in that you have a meaningful interaction with your touchstone. And given the emphasis on relations towards touchstones and humanity in most CofD games, they should be pretty involved in play as is already and might even be members of the cast in the plot.

              If they are looking for a similar yoyo effect like Harmony has it that it goes fast up and down, they are on to something, but it seems like they're not there yet.
              Like how often would you actually get one damage and not be able to resolve it pretty quickly by getting the Condition resolved. On lower Wyrd levels at least, the ones you usually are as a player character.

              Comment


              • #8
                How many Icons character can have by rules?


                My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                LGBT+ through Ages
                LGBT+ in CoD games

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                  How many Icons character can have by rules?
                  "Every changeling character has at least one Icon waiting for her in the Hedge somewhere (or in a Huntsman’s pocket), and the Storyteller can provide opportunities to recover as many Icons as he wishes."
                  ​ Technically infinite, but it's up to the ST to set up the opportunities to find them. It's going to vary between tables, but I'm guessing 1-3 will be the most common once people start playing.


                  Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Poseur View Post
                    Like how often would you actually get one damage and not be able to resolve it pretty quickly by getting the Condition resolved. On lower Wyrd levels at least, the ones you usually are as a player character.
                    So, if I'm reading this right you wouldn't get a condition on just 1 damage - You'd need to take damage to your 3 rightmost Clarity boxes (And they fill left to right).

                    Which means that you're going to have to be mostly unable to distinguish reality before you can get any conditions out of it. And I can't see that happening on 1 Wyrd.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tarion View Post
                      So, if I'm reading this right you wouldn't get a condition on just 1 damage - You'd need to take damage to your 3 rightmost Clarity boxes (And they fill left to right).

                      Which means that you're going to have to be mostly unable to distinguish reality before you can get any conditions out of it. And I can't see that happening on 1 Wyrd.

                      Ah thanks, i missed that one. Then it's just more hanging out with your touchstone then. So still not really any problem from damage, not even Conditions that makes it more fun.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Poseur View Post


                        Ah thanks, i missed that one. Then it's just more hanging out with your touchstone then. So still not really any problem from damage, not even Conditions that makes it more fun.
                        For it to be a problem at Wyrd 1, I think you'd have to go out of your way to ignore your touchstone and run through a lot of breaking points. I don't want to say it would be irrelevant, but I think you're going to be spending more time actually rolling the dice than you are worrying about your Clarity. And that seems wrong.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Tarion View Post
                          For it to be a problem at Wyrd 1, I think you'd have to go out of your way to ignore your touchstone and run through a lot of breaking points. I don't want to say it would be irrelevant, but I think you're going to be spending more time actually rolling the dice than you are worrying about your Clarity. And that seems wrong.

                          Yeah exactly what im trying to say, even if it was a bit unclear.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm not having as much of a problem with low levels of Wyrd not leaving characters at big risk of Clarity damage.

                            Two main things come to mind:

                            First, Clarity can be more directly attacked than any other Integrity analog, and will be attacked by the game's primary antagonists. Considering that Clarity damage represents a mortal danger to characters (being filled up with Severe Clarity damage doesn't remove you from the game because you've become a slavering monster, but kills you unless someone saves you), there needs to be a buffer here so characters aren't being sent Comatose left and right the second the ST puts them up against a smart adversarial fae creature that's going to attack their Clarity and Touchstones.

                            Second, this also creates a learning curve so that fresh Changelings have time to build up coping mechanisms while their Wyrd is still weak and not driving them batty. New players, and new characters, can afford to make mistakes and generally are only at risk under situations of extreme duress. Having to dump a lot of your creation points into Wits, Composure, and Touchstones to avoid being Comatose more than you do anything isn't fun. Letting these things build up with play makes players more apt to engage with them.

                            I do agree that rolling to roll is a bit annoying. But I need to play with it before I'd consider changing it. There could be value in unpredictable damage rolls that makes the second roll worth having.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It also seems more forgiving if I'm reading it right. More severe Clarity damage overwrites less severe damage.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X