• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the Rat Knight, as I'm always up for sympathetic rats

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
      Love the Rat Knight, as I'm always up for sympathetic rats
      I agree with your sentiments entirely! There can never be too many sympathetic rats! They seem so rare. If there ends up being a rat game for the Pugmire universe and I get tapped to help write it, I'd do everything in my power to make them sympathetic.

As an off-topic bit of trivia, for years I've doodled a rat called the Tin Can Knight for the amusement of my wife, mostly for homemade holiday cards for her. While he bears no resemblance to the Rat Knight, the name reminded me of him enough to catch my attention. I'm glad it did, as the Rat Knight was a neat addition to the thread.

Projects I've contributed to: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action; C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

This thread is seriously BRILLIANT. I can't wait to get the CofD core to make custom hobgoblin and huntsmen.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post
          This thread is seriously BRILLIANT. I can't wait to get the CofD core to make custom hobgoblin and huntsmen.
          Some of the stuff is from the Changeling Preview only though...

Comment

RE: The Rat Knight
            It was my specific goal with the Rat Knight to create a Huntsman that players would be inclined to rescue from their predicament, rather than simple bump off in monster of the week fashion. And I think rats are cool - chivalrous rats that can out-duel nearly anyone are even cooler.

RE: Dread Powers and CofD Core
            I was mostly pleased with the Kickstarter preview, but I do think if they could spare the page count, reprinting some of the core Dread Powers (or even add a few more new ones) would help many Storytellers and players. Not everyone is as obsessed as I am about collecting Dread Powers from multiple books!

RE: More Hobs
            Here are a few more Hobgoblins. This batch focuses more on specific characters rather than generic Hobgoblin types (I like to have a mix of both).
            Barrister Kobbe, esq
            The creature that introduces himself as “Barrister Kobbe,esq.” resides in a lair based in the hedge but only accessible from the 13th floor of buildings at liminal times (sunrise, sunset and during eclipses and equinoxes). The creature has an encyclopedic knowledge of laws (human, fae and otherwise), and has a keen mind for finding and exploiting loopholes in said laws. He is strong enough that few dare to challenge him in his own domain, but respects those that are polite and formal and can indulge his desire for a spirited debate. His features are a blend of humanoid and arachnid, with 6 beady eyes and glossy fangs and the lower torso of a glossy black spider. The skin of his humanoid upper torso is pale, bruised and bunches and wrinkles like an ill fitting garment. Despite his monstrous appearance, he wears a sharp waistcoat and vest, round-rimmed spectacles, and carries an ornate gold pocket watch that he checks frequently. His lair is a cluttered office filled with shelves and cabinets containing books and various legal documents.

Virtue: Knowledgeable; Vice: Exacting
            Aspiration: To have as many creatures in his debt as possible

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 6, Wits 5, Resolve 4
            Physical Attributes: Strength 7, Dexterity 4, Stamina 4
            Social Attributes: Presence 4, Manipulation 7, Composure 6
            Skills: Academics 4(Law), Athletics 2, Brawl 3, Empathy 4(Motives), Intimidate 3, Occult 2, Politics 5(Contracts), Persuasion 4(Debate), Socialize 4, Subterfuge 5
            Merits: Hollow 3, Style: Etiquette 5, Style: Fast Talking 5

Wyrd: 6
            Glamour/per Turn: 12/6
            Willpower: 10
            Size: 7
            Initiative: 10
            Armor: 1
            Defense: 6
            Speed: 18
            Health: 11
            Frailty: All Bargain and Contracts must be in Writing (taboo, major), Fire (bane), Cannot speak if Lead is place in his mouth (taboo)

Weapons/Attacks
            Bite & Claws[+0L melee; 10dice]
            Contracts: Boon of the Scuttling Spider, Know the Competition, Sight of Truth and Lies
            Dread Powers: Armored Hide, Bottle Glamour, Snare, Toxic

Hillstride
            The hobgoblin announces himself as “Hillstride” is a giant who stands over twenty feet tall and weighs several tons. He is a generally jolly soul, stomping about the pathways and trods of the Hedge, singing songs he makes up as he goes along. He is somewhat clumsy and reckless, and expresses the deepest sorrow when he accidentally crushes something (or someone) underfoot. He is a loyal friend, and few things rouse his anger like seeing his little friends getting picked on.
            While none would accuse Hillstride of being bright, he does have a knack for telling stories, mostly exaggerated accounts of his own exploits and prowess (like that time he threw a rock and knocked down the moon, but hung it back up before anyone noticed. That’s why it looks so scuffed and dented).
            Hillstride is fascinated by the mortal world, and covets trinkets and items made by mortal hands (and will trade from his own garden of hedge fruit for particularly interesting items). Hillstride appears to be a man of enormous size with a stocky, muscular physique, disproportionately large hands and feet, a bushy black beard and twinkling green eyes. He wears crudely stitched clothing sewn from flags, sheets and sails (and would love a proper outfit stitched to his size).

Virtue: Friendly; Vice: Reckless
            Aspiration: To perform epic deeds of might.

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 1, Wits 4, Resolve 5
            Physical Attributes: Strength 9, Dexterity 3, Stamina 9
            Social Attributes: Presence 4, Manipulation 2, Composure 3
            Skills: Animal Ken 2, Athletics 4 (Feats of Strength), Brawl 4(Groups), Crafts 3, Empathy 3, Expression 3, Intimidate 4(Size), Persuasion 2, Survival 3(Navigation), Weaponry 2 (Improvised)
            Merits: Goblin Bounty 2, Hedge Sense, Style: Brute Force 3, Iron Stamina 3, Style: Enchanting Performance 2

Wyrd: 5
            Glamour/per Turn: 10/5
            Willpower: 8
            Size: 16
            Initiative: 6
            Armor: 1
            Defense: 7
            Speed: 18
            Health: 25
            Frailty: Weapons carved from Flint (bane), Cannot refuse to help a friend (taboo),

Weapons/Attacks
            Unarmed [+0L melee; 13 dice]
            Contracts: Might of the Terrible Brute, Paralyzing Presence, Seven League Leap
            Dread Powers: Armored Hide, Juggernaut, Monstrous Resilience, Unbreakable

Last edited by Reighnhell; 01-10-2018, 08:56 PM. Reason: Feedback and Revisions

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
            The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
            Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
            Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

Ok, i usually love your stuff, but Armored Hide 2 -and- Unbreakable? Theres making a guy really tough and then there's making a guy unfair. What do you do if your enemies legitimately are his friends?

And why does a Goblin Lawyer with a zillion years to collect contracted favors and protections need Unbreakable. I'd see the danger of attacking him not being the ensuing fight, but becoming the target of all the contracts of Vengeance and Protection he has made with other fae and stranger creatures over the years

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                Ok, i usually love your stuff, but Armored Hide 2 -and- Unbreakable? Theres making a guy really tough and then there's making a guy unfair. What do you do if your enemies legitimately are his friends?
                Break out the flint, as you do with literally any other character whose resilience is counterweighted by an explicit baneful substance.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

So, the flint also gets past Armored Hide 2?

Comment

RE: Barrister Kobbe and Hillstride

Good observations and I am always open to the feedback. With Hillstride, I wanted him to be insanely tough, as befitting a giant that is almost Kaiju-Scale. But you do have point that Armored Hide 2 +Unbreakable puts injuring Hillstride beyond the reach of many players. I double-checked my resources and exploiting his bane would work (banes slice through defensive powers). But I am doing a bit of revision to his stat block. Downshifting to Armored Hide 1, this will free up a dread power slot. I will swap in the "Juggernaut" Dread power from WtF and replacethe Touch of Wrath contract (both power focus on destroying objects and having both would be really redundant). Which means I will have an open Contract - perhaps "Paralyzing Presence"?

For the Barrister, I was torn between Armored Hide and Unbreakable to represent his hard arachnid carapace. I wanted him to have good defensive options so he wouldn't be a pushover if a confrontation gets physical. But lets switch Unbreakable for Armored Hide.He will still be very tough,but a touch more vulnerable overall- a storyteller will be more inclined to use the characters tricky to avoid fights.

posting the updates in the original entries!

Comment

Ok. Thanks for being so open. Looking back, I was a little too hostile in my tone and I apologize.

Also, just realized an interesting story hook. Unless he's just so big that the Thorns don't bother him (I don't know how they affect Hobgoblins), his continued existence must mean there are Trods big enough and tall enough for him to walk down comfortably. Trods like that could probably be big enough for stuff like military supply chains or other sizable parties. Interesting story hook there.

Comment

No Worries! And I try to write the character descriptions in such a way that it inspires at few plot hooks. I write more game material than I will ever get to use, so I like offering these ideas to others who might be able to use them in some fashion.

Here a few more common hobgoblins

The Boogeyman
                        This breed of creature has been known by many names and has worn many shapes over the centuries. They are most commonly shadowy figure, cloaked in mists and darkness, but appearance can vary wildly from individual to individual. They are invoked when a parent wishes to frighten a child into correcting their behavior. They know many secret ways to pass between the mortal world and the hedge, and specializes in haunting the dreams of its victim. A Boogeyman rarely kills, often threatening to eat their victims. They take far more joy in reducing its prey to a sleep-deprived terrorized wreck. On occasion a Boogeyman will abduct their prey, delivering them to the waiting clutches of True Fae and unscrupulous Goblin Merchants.

Virtue: Persistent; Vice: Frightening
                        Aspiration: To frighten naughty children

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 4, Resolve 3
                        Physical Attributes: Strength 5, Dexterity 4, Stamina 3
                        Social Attributes: Presence 5, Manipulation 4, Composure 4
                        Skills: Athletics 2, Brawl 3(Grapple), Empathy 3(Fear), Intimidate 5, Stealth 4, Subterfuge 3
                        Merits: Defensive Combat, Dream Warrior, Dream Weaver, Lethal Mien

Wyrd: 3
                        Glamour/per Turn: 8/3
                        Willpower: 7
                        Size: 5
                        Initiative: 8
                        Defense: 7 (Defensive Combat)
                        Speed: 14
                        Health: 8
                        Frailty: Light sources brighter than a candle (bane)

Weapons/Attacks
                        Unarmed [+0L melee; 10 dice]
                        Contracts: Overpowering Dread, Tumult
                        Dread Powers: Conjure Dreams, Mist Form, Numina (Awe)

The Little People
                        The Cherokee people believed in the existence of a race of small, magical beings they called “Yunwi Tsundi”, with means simply “the Little People”. They appear as miniature people with Native American feature, standing no taller than a small child. They are handsome and well-proportioned and wear their black hair long enough to reach the ground. The Little People are known for being kindly, helpful, and strong in the ways of magic, and have a great love of music and dancing. While they spend most of their time within the Hedge, they venture into the mortal world to give aid wherever they can. Many have awaken to find their chores performed, lost items returned, and more than a few night stalking monsters have been encouraged to make trouble elsewhere thanks to the Little People.

Virtue: Helpful; Vice: Shy
                        Aspiration: Teach Respect, Kindness, and Humor

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 5, Resolve 4
                        Physical Attributes: Strength 3 Dexterity 4, Stamina 4
                        Social Attributes: Presence 4, Manipulation 3, Composure 4
                        Skills: Athletics 3, Brawl 1,Crafts 2, Empathy 2, Expression 2(Drum), Occult 2 (Folklore), Stealth 3(Hiding), Survival 3, Weaponry 2(Spear)
                        Merits: Acute Senses, Brownie’s Boon, Fighting Finesse (Spear), Hedge Sense, Striking Looks, Trained Observer

Willpower: 8
                        Size: 3
                        Speed: 11
                        Health: 7
                        Frailty: Can only help people while unobserved (taboo)

Weapons/Attacks
                        Unarmed [+0B melee; 4 dice]
                        Small Spear [+1L melee; Initiative -2, 7 dice]
                        Contracts: Light Shy, Wayward Guide
                        Dread Powers: Immortal, Numina (Telekinesis), Reality Stutter

Unicorns
                        The Unicorn is a creature known for its elusive nature and associated with chastity and purity. Resembling slender horses, unicorns have cloven hooves and a single, spiraling horn set in the center of its forehead. Their coloration is typically red, white, or black. The creatures are intelligent and are reputed to be kind and virtuous. Unicorns travel solitarily or in small groups and congregate within tranquil glades within the Hedge. The are notoriously skittish and for good reason, as many covet unicorn horns for their potent mystic properties.

Virtue: Kind; Vice: Elusive
                        Aspiration: Help the goodhearted and virtuous

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 2, Wits 3, Resolve 4
                        Physical Attributes: Strength 5, Dexterity 5, Stamina 4
                        Social Attributes: Presence 3, Manipulation 2, Composure 3
                        Skills: Athletics 4(Running), Brawl 2 (Gore, Hoof), Empathy 2, Stealth 4, Survival 3
                        Merits: Acute Senses, Goblin Bounty 1(Unicorn Horn), Danger Sense, Trained Observer

Wyrd: 2
                        Glamour/per Turn: 7/2
                        Willpower: 7
                        Size: 7
                        Speed: 24 (species factor 14)
                        Frailty: Cannot survive without its horn (bane)

Weapons/Attacks
                        Bite [+0B melee; 7 dice]
                        Gore [+2L melee; 8 dice]
                        Kick [+1L melee; 8 dice]
                        Contracts: Nevertread, Shared Burden
                        Dread Powers: Know Soul, Numina (Emotional Aura (Tranquility)), Reality Stutter

Comment

Nice.

How about some Goblin mercenaries - to humans even? In modern times, they probably front as a PMC. Well, combative one's might. There could be goblin-doctors available for a fee, too...

Or (for Genius crossover or Discworld references) a group of goblin Hench-people. It's their calling/frailty to assist mad visionaries and villains.
                          Last edited by Vent0; 01-13-2018, 05:04 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Goblin Mercs- I think I might have something for that - along with a few other things

Goblin Troops
                            Goblin Troops are the backbone of armies assembled by True Fae, powerful Hobgoblins, and even ambitious Changelings. Their appearances can vary wildly; from short to tall, fat to lean, from almost human to anything but. They are almost always brawny creatures that exude an air of aggression and mean spirited, casual violence. They have a fondness for weaponry (especially modern ones), and carry all manner of implements of mayhem for every occasion. Word has it the occasional Goblin Trooper slips into the mortal world and finds employment as an enforcer, mercenary or all around thug.

Virtue: Obedient; Vice: Mean
                            Aspiration: Get into Fights

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 2, Wits 3, Resolve 3
                            Physical Attributes: Strength 4, Dexterity 4, Stamina 4
                            Social Attributes: Presence 3, Manipulation 2, Composure 3
                            Skills: Athletics 2, Brawl 3, Firearms 3, Intimidate 2(Bullying), Survival 2, Weaponry 3
                            Merits: Air of Menace, Iron Stamina 1, Small Unit Tactics

Willpower: 6
                            Initiative: 7
                            Armor: 2/4 (Flak Jacket)
                            Defense: 4 (Flak Jacket)
                            Speed: 13
                            Health: 9
                            Frailty: Cannot refuse an order from an acknowledged superior (taboo)

Weapons/Attacks
                            Unarmed [+0B melee; 7 dice]
                            Knife [+0L melee;-1 Initiative, 7 dice]
                            Machete [+2L melee;-2 Initiative, 7 dice]
                            Shotgun [+3L ranged;-4 Initiative, 7 dice]
                            Contracts: Fae Cunning, Overpowering Dread
                            Dread Powers: Bottle Glamour, Monstrous Resilience, Regenerate 1

Pooka
                            The Pooka is a notorious shapeshifting hobgoblin with a long history of vexing mortals for their own amusement, and are perfectly willing to extend that sense of mischief to changelings and other hobgoblins. Despite their reputation for pranks and impish behavior, they bring with them good fortune, and favor individuals that can weather a few (mostly) harmless pranks by helping with farm work and bestowing treasures upon those that they have chosen. Most prefer farming communities and other rural environments, and shun urbanized sprawl. While most Pooka are clever tricksters, other seem to delight in suffering and cruelty, but these ones are thankfully rare. In their natural state, Pooka are man-sized and animalistic, with fur that is either dark or stark white, but they can take many forms, usually that of horses, goats, cats, dogs, or hares. They can even take human shapes, but such forms always have an animalistic trait, such as a the ears, nose, teeth or tail of a beast.

Virtue: Charitable; Vice: Impish
                            Aspiration: To vex and reward rural folk

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 5 Resolve 3
                            Physical Attributes: Strength 3, Dexterity 4, Stamina 4
                            Social Attributes: Presence 3, Manipulation 3, Composure 3
                            Skills: Athletics 3(Running), Brawl 2, Larceny 3, Subterfuge 3(Disguise), Stealth 3, Survival 1(Farmland)
                            Merits: Acute Senses, Brownie’s Boon, Goblin Bounty, Sleight of Hand

Size: 4
                            Speed: 12
                            Health: 8

Weapons/Attacks
                            Bite & Claw [+0L melee; 5 dice]
                            Contracts: Chrysalis*, Changing Fortunes
                            Dread Powers: Chameleon Horror, Miracle, Numina (Mortal Mask)

*This is an exception to the rule that Hobgoblins cannot have Royal Arcadian Contracts

Satyr
                            The Satyr are a type of hobgoblin, remembered in mythology for their athleticism, musicianship, and carnality. They wander the more idyllic parts of the Hedge, often joining troupes of changelings and hobgoblins in their travels and adventures. They are known to be passionate and clever, but their hedonistic natures can often be manipulated against them. When they venture into the mortal world, they gravitate to bohemian communities and other places that value artistry and passion.
                            Satyr appear as athletic men with goat-like traits, typically furry legs, hooves and horns. What clothing they wear tend to be loose, comfortable, and easily shed. While female Satyrs do exist, they are uncommon (but no less gregarious than the males).

Virtue: Fun Loving; Vice: Hedonistic
                            Aspiration: Enjoy all the pleasures life has to offer

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 4, Resolve 3
                            Physical Attributes: Strength 4, Dexterity 4, Stamina 6
                            Social Attributes: Presence 4, Manipulation 4, Composure 3
                            Skills: Athletics 3(Run), Brawl 2, Empathy 2, Expression 4(Music), Persuasion 3(Seduction), Socialize 4(Celebration), Survival 2
                            Merits: Acute Senses, Barfly, Hardy, Style: Enchanting Performance 3

Speed: 15
                            Frailty: cannot refuse an offered libation (taboo),

Weapons/Attacks
                            Unarmed [+0B melee; 6 dice]
                            Contracts: Fae Cunning, Goblin’s Luck
                            Dread Powers: Bottle Glamour, Numina (Rapture), Pied Piper

Comment

Working...
                            X