Setting/Campaign Help (Washington DC)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting/Campaign Help (Washington DC)

I'm going to be the ST for a game of Changeling soon and I had the idea of having it center around a freehold called The Capitol in Washington DC. The problem is I've never created a freehold from scratch before, but I want The Capitol to feel unique and different from a default setting. So I decided to come here to see if anyone can help me come up with ideas for things like the courts,
    the bulwark, and the other supernatural groups in the city.

I apologize, I'm still not used to posting on this site and accidentally posted twice, please ignore the other one.
    Last edited by nwish425; 12-05-2017, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Well, this doesn't help so much with the Freeholds bit, but feel free to steal one of my favourite storyhooks I've ever written:

Originally posted by me, via Daily Planescape
      The Lost of Washington DC have a dilemma. New Changelings are walking out of the Hedge every day, and their meins all have the same theme; American Presidents. A good number of these changelings know that they were abducted for some quality that the Gentry believes they shared with the president whose face they now wear. Some of them claim to be the genuine article, though. What would it mean for JFK or Lincoln to be returned from the dead? What if Clinton or Nixon was a Fetch when their presidencies ended? The Freehold isn’t sure they want to find out.

CofD booklists:
      Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
        Well, this doesn't help so much with the Freeholds bit, but feel free to steal one of my favourite storyhooks I've ever written:
        And worse, if they're lying... why? Do they not know the truth, or is there a more terrifying reason?

​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

http://harenm.deviantart.com/gallery/ for my art.

Comment

I've managed to come up with some base ideas for part of it, having the "story" the freehold bases itself around being the Revolutionary War.

Name: The Capitol

Freehold Base: Revolutionary War

Local Slang:
          • Redcoat: Loyalist
          • The British are coming: Gentry are launching attack
          • Tar and Feathering: Organized operation by the Court of Liberty
          • Founder: Court Ruler
          • Kings: Gentry
          • Revolution: A new Court Leader is appointed
          • Congress: Meeting of Court Rulers
          • Valley Forge: Disaster
          Courts:
          • Court of Liberty (The Sons, The Spirits, The Snake's Head, The True-Born):
            • Base: The Sons of Liberty
            • Emotion: Outrage
            • Role:
              • Organizers
              • Messengers
              • Spymasters
              • Smuggling
            • Symbols:
              • A Divided Snake
              • Crossed Muskets
              • Two Vertical Stars
            • Rituals:
              • The Tea Party: An organized festival centered around the destruction of captured items deemed a threat to the freehold
              • The Revere: A race that occurs every seven years on April 4th, one part race and one part scavenger hunt the winner becomes the new court ruler
          • Court of Freedom (Revolutionaries, The Minutemen):
            • Base: George Washington
            • Emotion: Patriotism
          Last edited by nwish425; 12-05-2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

It's a nice start, but maybe instead of Freedom, make it Court of Fidelity or Loyalty?

​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

Comment

I've done some edits on the base idea and this is what I have

Name: The Capitol

Freehold Base: Revolutionary War

Local Slang:
              • Redcoat: Loyalist
              • The British are coming: Gentry are launching attack
              • Tar and Feathering: Organized operation by the Court of Liberty
              • Founder: Court Ruler
              • Kings: Gentry
              • Revolution: A new Court Leader is appointed
              • Congress: Meeting of Court Rulers
              • Valley Forge: Disaster

Freehold Government: The Court Rulers gather to discuss issues regarding the freehold, they do not leave until a decision has been made.

Courts:
              • Court of Liberty (The Sons, The Spirits, The Snake's Head, The True-Born):
                • Base: The Sons of Liberty
                • Emotion: Outrage
                • Role:
                  • Organizers
                  • Messengers
                  • Spymasters
                  • Smuggling
                • Symbols:
                  • A Divided Snake
                  • Crossed Muskets
                  • Two Vertical Stars
                • Colors:
                  • Silver
                  • Green
                • Rituals:
                  • The Tea Party: An organized festival centered around the destruction of captured items deemed a threat to the freehold
                  • The Revere: A race that occurs every seven years on April 4th, one part race and one part scavenger hunt the winner becomes the new court ruler
              • Court of Fidelity (Revolutionaries, The Minutemen, Court of Washington, The King-Bane):
                • Base: George Washington
                • Emotion: Patriotism
                • Role:
                  • Defensive Army
                  • Peacekeeping
                • Symbols:
                  • A Circle Made of 13 Stars
                  • The Number 76
                  • A Sword Clutched in a Talon
                • Colors:
                  • Blue
                  • Red
              • Court of Unity
                • Base: Benjamin Franklin
                • Role:
                  • Diplomats
                  • Researchers

I still need Ideas and they would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

If you go with Second Chances idea of Arcadia spittng presidents near Washington - it would be good to have them being same Kith, across Seemings.

Also, Fairest can be on very high rise in this Freehold.

As to Bargain - maybe local Courts make fight with Gentry to work as various phases of Revolution War? And Lords & Ladies must act more or less as British in those events? But also each new High Monarch of Freehold need to OTHERTHROW his predecesor.

My Dark Eras: Byzantine Empire and Eastern Europe in Early Middle Ages ( 285–1461 A.D.)
                Conquer of Paradise – Portugal and Spain and their conquests in XVI century
                My Hacks and Z-Splats for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E

Comment

Well, I was looking at the Court of Liberty and that of Fidelity, and it strikes me what Bargains each might have. I imagine Liberty might be Rebellion. There will ALWAYS be at least one servant of the True Fae in any attack, who will rebel for the chance of freedom. While with Fidelity, I'm thinking that only those who willingly swear loyalty to the True Fae can take the field of battle.

Comment

I was just struck with an amazing idea about the courts.

The court of Fidelity is lead by the courts greatest tactician, as they serve as the freeholds primary defencive fighting force and a good fighter would be better off serving on the front lines.

The court of Unity is actually lead by two Lost, it's greatest researcher and it's best diplomat, as to reflect both sides of Benjamin Franklin.

No Court holds any specific territory within the freehold other than the respective seats of power, and they all help keep the others in check and from holding to much power.

This makes the courts function like a weird reflection of the U.S. government.

Comment

This is a minor point, but Washington, D.C. didn't actually exist during the Revolutionary War. It was established and built in the early 1790s to be the seat of government, almost a decade after the War ended. Of course, the war and the founding fathers still make a good theme, but it may alter the feel of the theme to know that the Freehold had no history in the war itself (or, alternatively, that the Freehold moved from Philadelphia or Boston when the city was established).

Also, I like your ideas about local slang. Have you considered "Georges" as an alternative to "Kings"?

Comment

If you'd give me a hat tip I'd be happy if you use an idea I had for another freehold: A republican freehold (note the small "r" its referring to the government not the political party)

All the members of each court cast a vote for who they think should serve as the King/Queen for that season. The King/Queen has most of the power but is advised and can be overruled at times by a council that consists of the previous monarchs and the runner up in the election (IE The former Winter Spring and Autumn kings will be the Summer king's council as will be whoever got the second most votes.)

Comment

One part of the setting you might want to consider, too, is the local Hedge. Having worked in several DC government buildings, I can tell you many are miasmas of cubicles and hallways. Many are frequently having their internal arrangement rearranged, which can further further add to a feeling of confusion and disorientation -- not unlike what I would imagine the Hedge to be like. I don't think it would be unusual for particularly bureaucratic goblins, hobs, and the like to be plying their sundry trades in such a Hedge.

Currently Hosting Outpost Phoenix, a United Space Federation IRC Star Trek Sim. New players are always welcome!

Comment

Mind if I ask what the story here is? Seems very Revolutionary War-ish, overall. But how is that connecting with the main story plot? It sounds like the Bulwarks are all going to revolve around forcing combat and sieges against the freehold.
                            Last edited by MCN; 01-02-2018, 08:36 AM.

Comment

The story I have in mind is about the Freehold's interaction with the world around it, only the court of Fidelity is truly combat focused, as it is the Freehold's primary fighting force. Washington would be a location of particular importance for a large number of supernatural factions, and as a result the relations between the Capitol and say, the Vampire's Camarilla would be strained as they both compete from the shadows for influence. The Capitol is so immersed in the Revolution because it was built by Lost who fought in it, they migrated from the other New England Freeholds as the town was being created. the Freehold itself I think would pay particular attention to Human society, at least to help maintain a connection with what they lost. They also most likely have pledges with and/or ensorcelled members of the federal agencies that base themselves in Washington and members of the government.
                              Last edited by nwish425; 01-03-2018, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X