[2E] Kith Conversion (Homebrew)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post

This option (2) is the more unique. As to usefulness? Well let's assume the character/player is comfortable with a "grab the spotlight" power. From that point, at least for the subject of the power, they would have a) a lot of trouble focusing on other aspirations and scene objectives--your Treasured becomes the obsessive focus of their attention, to a fully stalker-ish degree if necessary, and b) the subject of the power would be easier for the Treasured to manipulate directly, especially if doing so involves them obtaining "ownership" or control over the Treasured.

This would also greatly incline the subject to avoid harming the Treasured... and having an on-demand "don't let me get hurt" button (with, ehem, social/freedom drawbacks at least in the short-term) is handy for both players and storytellers.

So, yes, it's a reliable advantage, assuming the Treasured is keen on worming their way out of such attention on a frequent basis.

--Khanwulf
    Good point. You want your precious treasure mint in box

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post
      The tentative version of the Coyote I jotted down applies its Blessing to uses of Subterfuge to convince someone they are trustworthy, and their power allows them to spend a point of Glamour to improve their impression level by one when starting Social Manuevering. One of these should probably only apply when you first meet someone, but I'm uncertain.
      Ehh, that sound too simple, though. Compared with the other kith blessings we've seen.

What about this:

Tall Tale: The Laughing Stranger spends 1 Glamour and rolls Manipulation + Subterfuge + Wyrd vs. Composure + Supernatural Tolerance to weave an elaborate hoax on the target, one that creates and reshapes memories to convincing effect. The changeling has no control on how the target reacts per se, but if he says something as though it were true, the target’s memories are shaped to accommodate it, provided they aren’t blatantly false (it’s raining salmon) or would constitute a breaking point. If someone attempts to convince the target of the truth, or if the target sees evidence that contradicts the tall tale, the target reflexively rolls their Composure + Supernatural Tolerance vs. the changeling’s Wyrd. Success means they break free of the enchantment, either rationalizing it away or coming to their own conclusions on what happened. Otherwise, they gain the Steadfast Condition regarding anything the Laughing Stranger told them. If not negated, the deception lasts as long as the changeling remains present, or till the end of the scene if separated from each other.

nWoD Warhammer Fantasy RPG,
      WoD Wraith: The Oblivion
      and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Comment

This option (2) is the more unique. As to usefulness? Well let's assume the character/player is comfortable with a "grab the spotlight" power. From that point, at least for the subject of the power, they would have a) a lot of trouble focusing on other aspirations and scene objectives--your Treasured becomes the obsessive focus of their attention, to a fully stalker-ish degree if necessary, and b) the subject of the power would be easier for the Treasured to manipulate directly, especially if doing so involves them obtaining "ownership" or control over the Treasured.

This would also greatly incline the subject to avoid harming the Treasured... and having an on-demand "don't let me get hurt" button (with, ehem, social/freedom drawbacks at least in the short-term) is handy for both players and storytellers.

So, yes, it's a reliable advantage, assuming the Treasured is keen on worming their way out of such attention on a frequent basis.

--Khanwulf
        Maybe do a mix of the Distracted and Obsessed conditions?

Irresistible Riches
        Spend a Glamour to roll Presence + Persuasion + Wyrd vs Composure + Supernatural Tolerance. On a success, prevent extended action and give a -2 to perception rolls to spot anything else than dangers to the Treasured as the target’s focus is captured. Rolls to prevent harm to the Treasured instead have 9 again.

Comment

Originally posted by De_K47 View Post

Maybe do a mix of the Distracted and Obsessed conditions?

Irresistible Riches
          Spend a Glamour to roll Presence + Persuasion + Wyrd vs Composure + Supernatural Tolerance. On a success, prevent extended action and give a -2 to perception rolls to spot anything else than dangers to the Treasured as the target’s focus is captured. Rolls to prevent harm to the Treasured instead have 9 again.
          Dunno. But: the One Ring could be a fine example of a Treasured. "My precious!" Indeed.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Trying to convert the Orphanwretch over and having trouble. Could I get some feedback on this. Also tell me if the concept is kinda offensive to the homeless and if it should be edited.

Orphanwretch

Please guvna, you wouldn't turn a boy out on a night like this?

The scholars of the Changeling world often wonder why or even how the pitiless Gentry could create creatures who inspire such pity. Their theories are many. Perhaps they were the stars in a morality tale, a spoiled rich kid beaten down into the dirt to teach her a twisted lesson in humility. Perhaps they were homeless folks who stumbled from one big city to another, more fantastical one, but found that the people there were no kinder nor the nights and alleys any warmer. Perhaps they were just left to eke out a living in an endless city after their fairy godmother grew bored of coddling and pampering them. But, the Orphanwretchs know the true reason. They were spys. Taken from the lowest of the low, those whose lives were already so harsh that Arcadia seemed no different or perhaps even better, they were given the gift of wretchedness. No one suspects the filthy street child they take in from the cold to knife them in the back in their sleep; or the old blind pauper of reporting back to their Keeper on potential escapees. For their part, they never went hungry. Many escaped when they could no longer bear the strain of betraying so many a sympathetic face or began to desire more than just survival. Once escaped, they find they can parley their pitiable forms into lives of, if not luxury, then of comfort. But that would all end if their Freeholds knew their true thoughts.

Elemental: A threadbare teddy bear with a missing ear and soulful button eyes

Darkling: An impossibly old man, bent over by troubles till he's almost U-shaped and covered in as many ragged layers as he can find.

Blessing: When using Survival or Streetwise to find basic necessities within a city or town, 3 successes counts as an exceptional success.

Whenever another character succeeds in a Social roll against the changeling, he may reflexively spend a point of Glamour to inflict either the Guilty or Leveraged Condition on the character. Doing so also gives the Orphanwretch a number of bonus dice equal to his Wyrd on his next Persuasion or Empathy roll against the character.

EDIT: Not sure about the blessing. Liked the old one.
            Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 01-14-2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrParaduo View Post

Ehh, that sound too simple, though. Compared with the other kith blessings we've seen.

What about this:

Tall Tale: The Laughing Stranger spends 1 Glamour and rolls Manipulation + Subterfuge + Wyrd vs. Composure + Supernatural Tolerance to weave an elaborate hoax on the target, one that creates and reshapes memories to convincing effect. The changeling has no control on how the target reacts per se, but if he says something as though it were true, the target’s memories are shaped to accommodate it, provided they aren’t blatantly false (it’s raining salmon) or would constitute a breaking point. If someone attempts to convince the target of the truth, or if the target sees evidence that contradicts the tall tale, the target reflexively rolls their Composure + Supernatural Tolerance vs. the changeling’s Wyrd. Success means they break free of the enchantment, either rationalizing it away or coming to their own conclusions on what happened. Otherwise, they gain the Steadfast Condition regarding anything the Laughing Stranger told them. If not negated, the deception lasts as long as the changeling remains present, or till the end of the scene if separated from each other.
              That seems a bit more complicated and less intuitive than what I'd go with, but it's a fairly curious idea. Go with it if it pleases you!

Comment

Originally posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post

That seems a bit more complicated and less intuitive than what I'd go with, but it's a fairly curious idea. Go with it if it pleases you!
                Well, I don't want it to be too complicated... suggestions?

nWoD Warhammer Fantasy RPG,
                WoD Wraith: The Oblivion
                and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                  Trying to convert the Orphanwretch over and having trouble. Could I get some feedback on this. Also tell me if the concept is kinda offensive to the homeless and if it should be edited.

Orphanwretch
                  The description seems to only lightly brush homeless people; seems fair.

Their power set is utterly terrifying in its laser-like focus. We will never look at the little flower-girl on the corner the same, again....

--Khanwulf

Comment

The description seems to only lightly brush homeless people; seems fair.

Their power set is utterly terrifying in its laser-like focus. We will never look at the little flower-girl on the corner the same, again....

--Khanwulf

Thanks. A Fae or even a Court Monarch with a spy network made of these guys and Sprites would be pretty scary, wouldn't it?

Comment

Welp, next semester doesn't start for another week, no sign of my EMT license and I'm in a kith-creating mood. If anyone has any kiths they'd love to port over but they don't have the time, ask for them here. There's too many for me to choose from even in the core.

EDIT: One at a time though, please.
                      Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 01-12-2018, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

Orphanwretch

Look kid, I'm sorry. No, no, don't cry. I shouldn't have said that. Please, don't cry. Come on, I'll buy you dinner

The scholars of the Changeling world often wonder why or even how the pitiless Gentry could create creatures who inspire such pity. Their theories are many. Perhaps they were the stars in a morality tale, a spoiled rich kid beaten down into the dirt to teach her a twisted lesson in humility. Perhaps they were homeless folks who stumbled from one big city to another, more fantastical one, but found that the people there were no kinder nor the nights and alleys any warmer. Perhaps they were just left to eke out a living in an endless city after their fairy godmother grew bored of coddling and pampering them. But, the Orphanwretchs know the true reason. They were spys. Taken from the lowest of the low, those whose lives were already so harsh that Arcadia seemed no different or perhaps even better, they were given the gift of wretchedness. No one suspects the filthy street child they take in from the cold to knife them in the back in their sleep; or the old blind pauper of reporting back to their Keeper on potential escapees. For their part, they never went hungry. Many escaped when they could no longer bear the strain of betraying so many a sympathetic face or began to desire more than just survival. Once escaped, they find they can parley their pitiable forms into lives of, if not luxury, then of comfort. But that would all end if their Freeholds knew their true thoughts.

Blessing: When using Subterfuge to convince someone they are harmless or in need of help, achieving 3 successes counts as a exceptional success.

Whenever another character succeeds in a Social roll against the changeling, he may reflexively spend a point of Glamour to inflict either the Guilty or Leveraged Condition on the character. Doing so also gives the Orphanwretch a number of bonus dice equal to his Wyrd on his next Persuasion or Subterfuge roll against the character.

Looking pretty good so far. I'd change the quote, since the quotes all seem to come from a member of the kith in this version. You'll also need to add the two Seeming descriptions. I would consider tweaking the blessing a little as well, mostly so that their skill trick doesn't also boost the trickery aspect. I'd probably change one of the Subterfuges to Empathy, personally. Still, you're off to a great start.

Projects I've contributed to: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action; C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

Thanks, but why Empathy? Thats more for reading other people when they are not trying to hide stuff. Im not sure how they'd use

Anyway, what if i changed the blessing to be getting exceptional success at 3 for rolls that help with basic survival on city and town streets, have that extra survivability be the carrot that the Gentry offered them in exchange for spy work?

Comment

Here's a kith I've been working on for a bit; let me know what you guys think of it. I was thinking of making an effect that didn't require a Glamour to activate, though I made sure there was a thematic downside for it. Not sure if I should allow it to work in scenarios outside of solo-investigations.

Janus
                            It was easy for me to solve. I just had to get into the right mindsets.
                            The Gentry would never admit that some things baffle them, be it games, locks, people or even riddles. Their minds are byzantine, but sometimes it takes a simple fact to trip them up and have them look for something that isn’t obvious. Usually they say they’re too busy to deal with such matters, or that they’re too bored to handle such a simple thing. Sometimes they’re telling the truth.

Whatever the reason, should such a situation arise, they have but to call upon a Janus to handle matters. Janus were people who had minds designed to deconstruct problems, be it a person’s motivations, a logic puzzle, a riddle or even just what was gumming up clockwork. They may not have been the best at solving those problems, but understanding them was never an issue. The Gentry simply took what was there and divided it, optimizing each mind to handle different aspects while still being the same whole.

Unfortunately, with the way the Gentry operate, it’s not entirely clear if this is the case for every Janus. Some Changelings claim to have seen Gentry take a person’s mind and mix it with anothers, creating two Changelings who were not themselves but worked better than before. Others have whispered of seeing a single mind be divided and given multiple bodies, filling in the empty spaces with tomes, wax recordings and bits of miscellaneous junk. More than one Janus has been kept up at night with worry they were as much a creation of Arcadia as a Fetch, particularly by those without a Fetch to find.

Regardless of how they were made, a Janus was meant to do the work of many in a short amount of time, and they did so well. However, mental fortitude is a common issue among the multi-minded. As with a roommate, sibling or even a spouse, living in the same place as someone can make one painfully aware of the other’s foibles, bringing out arguments and venom. Janus don’t have the option of leaving the room when they get to their minds start arguing. Meditation helps, but only so far.

Beast: He works as a bodyguard to make ends meet, sniffing out people as safe or hostile with all three of his noses. When people see him talk to his shoulders, unable to see past the mask, they think he's either talking to a microphone or simply insane. They don't see the burning cerebus arguing with himself.

Wizened: Her head is an upright reel, the film showing different expressions of her face. When her emotions change, the reel spins and stops on the appropriate one. She’s pleasant, but those close to her can hear the whispers of the film underneath the clicking of plastic gears.

Fairest: She was a spy for her Keeper during their meetings with other Gentry, acting as a harlequin as she observed them. Nobody has ever seen her face change expression as it is always obscured by something in the transition, usually by the mirror she talks to. Mortals take her as eccentric; the Lost see her as borderline insane.

Kith Blessing: When the Janus uses Investigation to determine a character's motive, achieving three successes counts as an exceptional success.
                            Take Two: Janus are never alone when investigating, always having two (or more) minds about anything they find. During an investigation a Janus can do a Teamwork action by themselves, rolling their die pool and then using any successes in that roll as extra dice in the ensuing investigation. Doing so results in the Janus gaining the Confused, Dissociation or Disoriented condition at the end of the scene, as their heads start squabbling about the results and how they were obtained.

Comment

Would Brawl or Weaponry work better as the Kith blessing for the Razorhands? I've been trying to homebrew a 2E conversion for them, but I can't seem to decide the right skill for the job.

Comment

What do natural weapons use for a die pool?

Comment

Working...
                                X