X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrParaduo
    replied
    Aw, thank you! <3

Now onto the Crowns. Not sure what the limits are regarding mechanics. But! I've made it so that--since it's not seasonal based--the weakest of the three courts manifests its crown. This isn't limited to number of courtiers per se, rather, it prevents said-court from being completely muscled out by the other two. This also means that the weakest court also defines the current geas in effect, giving them some measure of political clout.

Leave a comment:

• haren
    replied
    Originally posted by MrParaduo View Post
    Beautiful. Final Court: Inferno. Their Bargain is that Gentry and loyalists must indulge their vice at every opportunity until satisfied. So even if they're being attacked by freeholders, the glutton cannot stop eating unless he intends to eat the enemy, the building, etc.

...Too simplistic?
    I'm a fan. It also kinda mirrors the link the Hedge (and therefore probably Arcadia) have with Vice.

Leave a comment:

• MrParaduo
    replied
    Beautiful. Final Court: Inferno. Their Bargain is that Gentry and loyalists must indulge their vice at every opportunity until satisfied. So even if they're being attacked by freeholders, the glutton cannot stop eating unless he intends to eat the enemy, the building, etc.

...Too simplistic?
    Last edited by MrParaduo; 12-15-2017, 04:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• haren
    replied
    My second Court is Purgatory (Purgation, Pale Court, haven't decided) and it's sort of similar to the Dusk Court in that it focuses on Regret, Fatalism, and Inevitability. It also has ties to Hedge ghosts, etc. but the Bargain is with Death itself.

Problem is my current bargain is worded like a toll. Before the Gentry or their loyalists can take anything from the freehold, they have to pay something of equal value. This includes life. I'm not sure if that's a reasonable bargain, though.
    I think you can make it equal if you say they WILL (willingly or not) pay something of equal value. If they take a changeling, then by pact, one will be lost by them or something similar. It's just they tend to pay upfront because at least they have SOME say in what they lose. That makes it kinda like oaths and why you swear oaths specifically, otherwise the Wyrd will make sure terms are paid to its satisfaction.

Leave a comment:

• MrParaduo
    replied
    My second Court is Purgatory (Purgation, Pale Court, haven't decided) and it's sort of similar to the Dusk Court in that it focuses on Regret, Fatalism, and Inevitability. It also has ties to Hedge ghosts, etc. but the Bargain is with Death itself.

Problem is my current bargain is worded like a toll. Before the Gentry or their loyalists can take anything from the freehold, they have to pay something of equal value. This includes life. I'm not sure if that's a reasonable bargain, though.

Leave a comment:

• MrParaduo
    replied
    Originally posted by haren View Post
    I just had an idea this morning... I've always been a fan of Midnight Roads and wanted (and for a time slightly did) run a traveling game. But it hit me... what if the game was a whole traveling Freehold? What sort of Courts would it have? And I'm thinking Pathways, Crossroads, Cargo, and Carriage. In other words, roads, crossroads, vehicles for carrying gear and freight, and vehicles for carrying people primarily. Now I only just came up with the idea, but it's something that I'm starting to percolate on.

My instinct is for the Bargain of Zeal to be one where the True Fae must obey their passions to take back changelings, NOT to kill them. In short, even though met with lethal force, Fae have to focus on non-lethal methods of defeating the Freehold. They can put them in chains, beat them, but they can't kill them, even if it would be easier.
    I love you so much right now. THANK YOU!!

Leave a comment:

• haren
    replied
    I just had an idea this morning... I've always been a fan of Midnight Roads and wanted (and for a time slightly did) run a traveling game. But it hit me... what if the game was a whole traveling Freehold? What sort of Courts would it have? And I'm thinking Pathways, Crossroads, Cargo, and Carriage. In other words, roads, crossroads, vehicles for carrying gear and freight, and vehicles for carrying people primarily. Now I only just came up with the idea, but it's something that I'm starting to percolate on.

I'm actually trying to make a 3-courts freehold based on the Divine Comedy. (I call them the Tellurian Courts as a placeholder.) What's holding me up is, trying to find a Bargain that fits Zeal, which is the MO of the Celestial Court. Any suggestions?

Edit: Zeal being more about passion, dedication and enthusiasm.
    My instinct is for the Bargain of Zeal to be one where the True Fae must obey their passions to take back changelings, NOT to kill them. In short, even though met with lethal force, Fae have to focus on non-lethal methods of defeating the Freehold. They can put them in chains, beat them, but they can't kill them, even if it would be easier.
    Last edited by haren; 12-15-2017, 03:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MrParaduo
    replied
    I'm actually trying to make a 3-courts freehold based on the Divine Comedy. (I call them the Tellurian Courts as a placeholder.) What's holding me up is, trying to find a Bargain that fits Zeal, which is the MO of the Celestial Court. Any suggestions?

Edit: Zeal being more about passion, dedication and enthusiasm.

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Originally posted by MCN View Post
    Okay, so, something I noiced that ight be relevant to court contracct creation.

The emotional contracts in each court are almost identical. Every single court seems to have a variation on the following:
    - sense the emotion in someone and stoke / redirect it
    - Inlict the emotion heavily and uncontrollably on the target (wake the inner faerie, mein of baba yaga)
    -create manifestation of that emotion
    -appear as manifestation of that emotion
    - destroy emotion in target

Given the similarities between the emotional contracts between each Court, you can very likely just c/p these basic templates. That's half of the contract work down, aking things a lot easier.
    Yeah, I noticed that too in my read-through on Court Contracts.

It is something to consider, and that Seasonal Court Contracts are...slightly re-skinnable.

Originally posted by Kleptomania View Post
    Really, I have far too many half-baked ideas.
    Dude, don't go crazy with too many ideas. Stick with one idea, and see through the completion of the idea, and when you're done, THEN you can work on the next idea.

Leave a comment:

• Kleptomania
    replied
    I was wondering whether the Tidal Courts of Ipswitch would fit well in Boston, as well as other coastal New English Freeholds. I don't know enough to say.

I was thinking about using the Courts of the Eagle Hawk and the Crow for Melbourne, connected to two important figures in Kulin mythology. I don't know about that, though, as I'm unsure whether I can do it justice, or even if it's a good idea in the first place.
    While I'm pretty happy with the Seasonal Courts for Sydney, I have precious few ideas for the rest of Australia.

I had plans to design a Court system inspired by the Aztec myths of the Five Suns, although I'm debating creating an Aztec variant of the Directional Courts instead. I don't know which, if either, of those ideas is good.

Somewhere in Winter Masques, I think, the text briefly mentions that there's a Freehold out there divided between the Courts of the Donkey and the Elephant, which I thought might be fun to write up. I guess it might fit as a D.C. Freehold, but I don't know.

I wanted to write up the Beijing Freehold, which the Hong Kong section says interferes in local Changeling politics. I thought Directional Courts would fit, but I wasn't sure whether I wanted to use the Court of the Centre discussed in Dark Eras or not. Another possibility is that Beijing's Directional Courts went out of the window after Mao, but I have no idea whatsoever what I could replace them with.

I was going to use a Court system based on classical astrology and the constellations somewhere, but I wasn't sure where I would put it.

Really, I have far too many half-baked ideas.

Leave a comment:

• milo v3
    replied
    Interesting Note: Emotions don't need to be involved at all, apparently emotional ties is a seasonal thing rather than a court thing. Not to say that only seasonal courts have emotional ties, just that it isn't something intrinsic to courts.

Leave a comment:

• MCN
    replied
    Okay, so, something I noiced that ight be relevant to court contracct creation.

The emotional contracts in each court are almost identical. Every single court seems to have a variation on the following:
    - sense the emotion in someone and stoke / redirect it
    - Inlict the emotion heavily and uncontrollably on the target (wake the inner faerie, mein of baba yaga)
    -create manifestation of that emotion
    -appear as manifestation of that emotion
    - destroy emotion in target

Given the similarities between the emotional contracts between each Court, you can very likely just c/p these basic templates. That's half of the contract work down, aking things a lot easier.

Leave a comment:

• Mad_Maudlin
    replied
    Great timing, I'm working on my Courts of Comedy and Tragedy right now...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X