[2E] Homebrew Courts and Freeholds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrix View Post

It took me longer than I'd care to admit to realise the full version of your stuff is all in one doc on the first post. Maybe it could be made clearer that's where it's all compiled so stupid people like me don't have to keep digging for the link? >_<

I love the carriage contracts especially, and am surprised some of the ideas on here aren't ones being used officially since they seem nicely in Changeling's wheelhouse. I'd also be really curious to hear what people think on the balance of these since the Kickstarter is my first real taste of Changeling but I could really see myself using some of this stuff if there's not any super obvious jank I'm missing.

Which were the ones you were wracking your brains on? It doesn't really show which to me but it might help people help you buff up the ideas behind them?
    For example, Paying the Piper. It was more that some of the Contracts I couldn't quite figure out what I wanted one to do, or an appropriate effect. I muscled through it and produced the final 12 Contracts that way (though some of those, like Carriage, went way easier than others). Calculated Fortune was one where I knew roughly the FEEL I was going for... I was thinking "It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, you just dig in your heels and make it right." So the idea of making a bad turn into a good one (or at least workable) made sense... In the desert with no gas stations for 100 miles and you need some? Why, luckily there's a goblin market selling fermented goblin fruit juice that will work JUST FINE.

​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

http://harenm.deviantart.com/gallery/ for my art.

Comment

Originally posted by andrix View Post
      It took me longer than I'd care to admit to realise the full version of your stuff is all in one doc on the first post. Maybe it could be made clearer that's where it's all compiled so stupid people like me don't have to keep digging for the link? >_<
      Noted. Editing that now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsienfan View Post
        Another one I've been thinking about, for California and Mexico, is the three courts of Santa Muerte: The Red Court of All Desires, the White Court of Purity, and the Black Court of Doom and Power. They compete for the right to rule the entire year, which they determine at Dia de Muertos.
        Death has always watched over the people of Mexico. That isn't an insult, or a poetic commentary on their state of affairs, despite what news or TV shows about the drug trade might have you think-- It is verifiable religious truth. Mictēcacihuātl tended to the Aztec underworld, and in the wake of the conquistadores and forced conversion to Catholicism, the natives eventually dressed her in the clothing of a folk saint: Our Lady of Holy Death, Santa Muerte, she who watches over the lost. Unlike what some say is a silent, uncaring god in Christianity, Santa Muerte can do anything, protect anyone... and that especially includes the Changelings who petition and swear vows in her name.

Those who follow Santa Muerte in Red make up the most populous court by far: All those who desire and want more from their new lives are welcome. They are the court of wealth and plenty, of sex and food and other pleasures-- but also the court of bargains and bribes, and occasionally of bloodshed. They are prepared to offer anything, if the request is good enough.

Gain glamour whenever you convince someone to get something they want in spite of being "too old/ugly/poor/etc." They don't have to actually get it in your presence, though if they do and it's a very powerful want satisfied, the Storyteller can grant an additional point of glamour.

When Santa Muerte in Red is ascendant, any fae being who wants to recapture a member of the freehold must make a physical offering in exchange for the changeling they want to take back-- a fresh escapee might warrant a handful of gold coins outside the freehold, while an old and powerful Lost will have an enormous festival in the Hedge, open to anyone. The moment any freehold member takes the offering-- and the nature of the Red bargain means they know exactly what it is-- the other party is free to do as they wish.

---
        Still mulling over black and white.
        Last edited by Hsienfan; 12-24-2017, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Hey, started on Contracts of the Inferno. Haven't written the fluff, but wanna know if these seem acceptable...

Shadowed Whispers (Common)
          x
          Cost: 1 Glamour
          Dice Pool: Wits + Empathy + Mantle vs. Composure + Supernatural Tolerance
          Action: Contested
          Roll Results
          Dramatic Failure: The changeling becomes so distracted by Vice he suffers a two-die penalty on the next (Mantle) roll he makes.
          Failure: The Contract fails.
          Success: The changeling instinctively knows the target’s Vice, and any Conditions or Tilts connected to it. The target may be in denial or completely unaware of it. The changeling may replace the subject of the target’s Vice with one of his choice. The target’s passion for said-vice, along with any Conditions or Tilts it engendered, turns toward the new subject for the scene.
          Exceptional Success: The changeling catches a sense of the details regarding his target’s Vice, such as its origins and what obstacles keep them from acting on it.
          Loophole: The changeling is standing in their target’s shadow.

Devil’s Puppetry (Royal)
          X
          Cost: 2 Glamour
          Dice Pool: Manipulation + Subterfuge + Mantle vs. Composure + Supernatural Tolerance
          Action: Contested
          Roll Results
          Dramatic Failure: The target becomes a taboo for the changeling until an hour and a day passes.
          Success: The changeling projects her spirit into the target’s body, taking full control of it for the remainder of the scene. The target must be alive, and physically present. This has no effect on Huntsmen, Gentry, or similar entities (spirits, kerberoi, etc.), but can be used on some denizens of the Hedge where the Storyteller allows. While possessed, the host is oblivious to what their body is doing, being consigned to a dreamless sleep that does not form a Bastion. The changeling does not have access to the host’s memories, non-physical skills, or supernatural abilities save for kith blessings. The changeling may only use their own Contracts, and only if the target has Glamour.
          Exceptional Success: The changeling may choose to have their body fade into the host’s body, which reappears in the nearest available space upon the contract’s ending.
          Loophole: The target must have signed something for the changeling within the scene.

nWoD Warhammer Fantasy RPG,
          WoD Wraith: The Oblivion
          and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Comment

Updated the first post a bit more.

Taidragon, you got an overall name for your Courts yet so I can post up your stuff?

Comment

Sorry I keep butting in--uh, decided to convert the Contracts of Shade and Spirit for my Court of Purgation. What do you think?

Contracts of Purgation
              x

Ghostly Presence (Common)
              The dead are among us, unseen and unheard by the living. This Contract allows the changeling to see, hear, and speak to any ghosts in her area (same room, or conversational distance outside) in Twilight or the Hedge, for a scene.
              Dice Pool: Presence + Socialize + Mantle
              Action: Instant
              Roll Results
              Dramatic Failure: The Contract fails, but the changeling thinks she is talking to a ghost and holds a conversation with empty air.
              Success: The changeling sees, hears and can speak to ghosts in the area as if they were living, regardless of language.
              Exceptional Success: The nearest other living individual is also affected by the Contract – whether the changeling wants him to or not.
              Loophole: The ghost is someone the changeling knew in life.

Dread Companion (Common)
              Normally the dead are barred from any interaction with the living. This Contract thins that barrier. With Dread Companion, a ghost is given the ability to affect one sense (sigh, touch, hearing) of everyone participating in the Contract for one scene. If Dread Companion is cast indoors, everyone in a single room is susceptible to the Contract; if the Contract is cast outside, everyone within sight of the changeling using the Contract is affected. If the Contract is cast in the Hedge, then Hedge ghosts are treated as solid entities, and cannot pass through obstacles or discorporate.
              Dice Pool: Manipulation + Occult + Mantle
              Roll Results
              Dramatic Failure: Instead of giving the ghost the power to interact with the living, a minor, malicious spirit will act in as cruel and vicious manner it can, with the sense available, for the duration of the scene.
              Success: The ghost can interact with the living for a scene.
              Exceptional Success: The ghost can be seen, as well as whatever other sense has been selected. If sight was the chosen sense, then touch is the one added for free.
              Loophole: The changeling presses a drop of her own blood to the forehead of everyone participating in the Contract.

Haunting Intercession (Royal)
              These are those who desperately wish for one more night with the departed: enemies seeking final vengeance or forgiveness, lovers hoping for one more embrace, mothers who did not get a chance to say goodbye to their sons and daughters. A changeling who invokes this Contract gives a ghost one more chance to walk among the living, as one of the living.
              Dice Pool: Manipulation + Persuasion + Mantle
              Action: Extended (one success per target)
              Roll Results
              Dramatic Failure: The ghost is not made manifest to the living; severe poltergeist activity is generated instead. For the duration of the scene, the location is full of loud roaring noises and horrible smells, hair and clothing are pulled and the like. The dishes are thrown and shattered; fragile objects are particularly subject to the poltergeist activity.
              Success: The ghost materializes fully for the scene, its stats converting to appropriate attributes and skills as determined by the Storyteller. If the ghost was a changeling or fae-touched, they may choose to return with the template. Only if brought back as a Changeling may said-ghost utilize Glamour. While living, ghosts cannot utilize dread powers or discorporate until the end of the scene.
              Exceptional Success: The ghost remains material from sunrise to sunset, able to move freely and interact with whomever they choose.
              Loophole: The changeling has set up a “dead supper”: a complete meal served on never-used plates and silver, with a place for everyone who wishes to participate in the intercession, including the ghost.

Waking the Dead (Royal)
              The dead tell no tales. Most of the time. Invoking this Contract allows the changeling to call up a non-sentient echo of the dead and communicate with it. This ghostly shadow is not a true ghost, but an echo without self-awareness or intelligence; the echo fades at the end of the scene.
              Dice Pool: Strength + Survival + Mantle
              Action: Extended (one roll per turn, target is four)
              Roll Results
              Dramatic Failure: The information provided is incomplete or incorrect in some significant way that is not immediately obvious to the changeling.
              Success: The shade appears, as if standing on top of its grave and will answer one question per success precisely and honestly. The shade will not provide any information beyond what is requested.
              Exceptional Success: The shade will provide any important additional information that the changeling might not have known to ask for, or knew she needed.
              Loophole: The changeling “feeds” the shade by wounding herself and offering her blood, taking one point of bashing damage per question.

Opening the Black Gate (Royal)
              There is a barrier between the living and the dead, which can only be crossed at great risk. This clause creates a doorway between the mortal world and the Underworld. This passage cannot be created in the Hedge, or Arcadia; attempts to do so are quite likely to draw the attention of the Gentry.
              Cost: 2 Glamour + 1 Willpower
              Dice Pool: Stamina + Occult + Mantle
              Action: Extended (five successes; each roll represents one turn)
              Roll Results
              Dramatic Failure: The passage is one-way. Those who take it will be trapped on the wrong side. The living can only pass to the Underworld – but not back – and the dead can only enter the mortal world, not return.
              Success: A passage, the size of a normal door, is created between the land of the dead and the world of the living for one night. When the sun first breaks the horizon in the mortal world, the door shuts forever, and those on the wrong side of it will be trapped unless they find, or make, another exit.
              Exceptional Success: The passage lasts for a lunar month. The dead and living can cross over in this location for as long as the location remains intact. If a changeling has used the loophole to invoke this Contract, she must maintain the laws of hospitality only for that first night. The changeling has no mystical control over who uses the door; she can only control access in the usual fashion, by guarding it, locking it, etc.
              Loophole: The Contract is invoked at midnight in a mausoleum, and the changeling invokes the laws of hospitality while the Contract is in effect.

and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Comment

Originally posted by Hsienfan View Post

Death has always watched over the people of Mexico. That isn't an insult, or a poetic commentary on their state of affairs, despite what news or TV shows about the drug trade might have you think-- It is verifiable religious truth. Mictēcacihuātl tended to the Aztec underworld, and in the wake of the conquistadores and forced conversion to Catholicism, the natives eventually dressed her in the clothing of a folk saint: Our Lady of Holy Death, Santa Muerte, she who watches over the lost. Unlike what some say is a silent, uncaring god in Christianity, Santa Muerte can do anything, protect anyone... and that especially includes the Changelings who petition and swear vows in her name.
                Santa Muerte in White is the most popular color of the saint among normal humans, symbolizing purity and peace. Her Changeling court is accordingly one that loves its ties to humanity, encouraging freehold members to rebuild the mortal lives they lost. From negotiating with Fetches to guiding new escapees and rescuing fae-touched-- Even if it's impossible to get back exactly what was taken from them, white is above all the color of new beginnings.

Gain glamour whenever you're party or witness to someone's purification. This can range from a curandera's salt bath with herbs and psalms read aloud, to the loving preparations a family makes for a body before a funeral. Even a family dinner can count, when done with time, care and the intent to bring someone back to reality.

When Santa Muerte in White is ascendant, all freehold members can substitute a gain of glamour with healing Clarity damage (at a value of one for one) once per full moon. White Court members, during an ascendant year, can do this an additional number of times in that year equal to their Mantle rating. Santa Muerte in White may not offer flashy weapons against the Gentry, but she offers groundedness and insight, which can be the most precious of all.

(EDIT: The benefit might be too weak relative to the Red and Black courts. Perhaps a certain amount of Clarity damage can simply be ignored every day... I'll leave it to more system-minded folks.)
                Last edited by Hsienfan; 02-15-2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrParaduo View Post
                  Sorry I keep butting in--uh, decided to convert the Contracts of Shade and Spirit for my Court of Purgation. What do you think?

Contracts of Purgation
                  x

Ghostly Presence (Common)
                  The dead are among us, unseen and unheard by the living. This Contract allows the changeling to see, hear, and speak to any ghosts in her area (same room, or conversational distance outside) in Twilight or the Hedge, for a scene.
                  Dice Pool: Presence + Socialize + Mantle
                  Roll Results
                  Dramatic Failure: The Contract fails, but the changeling thinks she is talking to a ghost and holds a conversation with empty air.
                  Success: The changeling sees, hears and can speak to ghosts in the area as if they were living, regardless of language.
                  Exceptional Success: The nearest other living individual is also affected by the Contract – whether the changeling wants him to or not.
                  Loophole: The ghost is someone the changeling knew in life.

Dread Companion (Common)
                  Normally the dead are barred from any interaction with the living. This Contract thins that barrier. With Dread Companion, a ghost is given the ability to affect one sense (sigh, touch, hearing) of everyone participating in the Contract for one scene. If Dread Companion is cast indoors, everyone in a single room is susceptible to the Contract; if the Contract is cast outside, everyone within sight of the changeling using the Contract is affected. If the Contract is cast in the Hedge, then Hedge ghosts are treated as solid entities, and cannot pass through obstacles or discorporate.
                  Dice Pool: Manipulation + Occult + Mantle
                  Roll Results
                  Dramatic Failure: Instead of giving the ghost the power to interact with the living, a minor, malicious spirit will act in as cruel and vicious manner it can, with the sense available, for the duration of the scene.
                  Success: The ghost can interact with the living for a scene.
                  Exceptional Success: The ghost can be seen, as well as whatever other sense has been selected. If sight was the chosen sense, then touch is the one added for free.
                  Loophole: The changeling presses a drop of her own blood to the forehead of everyone participating in the Contract.

Haunting Intercession (Royal)
                  These are those who desperately wish for one more night with the departed: enemies seeking final vengeance or forgiveness, lovers hoping for one more embrace, mothers who did not get a chance to say goodbye to their sons and daughters. A changeling who invokes this Contract gives a ghost one more chance to walk among the living, as one of the living.
                  Dice Pool: Manipulation + Persuasion + Mantle
                  Action: Extended (one success per target)
                  Roll Results
                  Dramatic Failure: The ghost is not made manifest to the living; severe poltergeist activity is generated instead. For the duration of the scene, the location is full of loud roaring noises and horrible smells, hair and clothing are pulled and the like. The dishes are thrown and shattered; fragile objects are particularly subject to the poltergeist activity.
                  Success: The ghost materializes fully for the scene, its stats converting to appropriate attributes and skills as determined by the Storyteller. If the ghost was a changeling or fae-touched, they may choose to return with the template. Only if brought back as a Changeling may said-ghost utilize Glamour. While living, ghosts cannot utilize dread powers or discorporate until the end of the scene.
                  Exceptional Success: The ghost remains material from sunrise to sunset, able to move freely and interact with whomever they choose.
                  Loophole: The changeling has set up a “dead supper”: a complete meal served on never-used plates and silver, with a place for everyone who wishes to participate in the intercession, including the ghost.

Waking the Dead (Royal)
                  The dead tell no tales. Most of the time. Invoking this Contract allows the changeling to call up a non-sentient echo of the dead and communicate with it. This ghostly shadow is not a true ghost, but an echo without self-awareness or intelligence; the echo fades at the end of the scene.
                  Dice Pool: Strength + Survival + Mantle
                  Action: Extended (one roll per turn, target is four)
                  Roll Results
                  Dramatic Failure: The information provided is incomplete or incorrect in some significant way that is not immediately obvious to the changeling.
                  Success: The shade appears, as if standing on top of its grave and will answer one question per success precisely and honestly. The shade will not provide any information beyond what is requested.
                  Exceptional Success: The shade will provide any important additional information that the changeling might not have known to ask for, or knew she needed.
                  Loophole: The changeling “feeds” the shade by wounding herself and offering her blood, taking one point of bashing damage per question.

Opening the Black Gate (Royal)
                  There is a barrier between the living and the dead, which can only be crossed at great risk. This clause creates a doorway between the mortal world and the Underworld. This passage cannot be created in the Hedge, or Arcadia; attempts to do so are quite likely to draw the attention of the Gentry.
                  Cost: 2 Glamour + 1 Willpower
                  Dice Pool: Stamina + Occult + Mantle
                  Action: Extended (five successes; each roll represents one turn)
                  Roll Results
                  Dramatic Failure: The passage is one-way. Those who take it will be trapped on the wrong side. The living can only pass to the Underworld – but not back – and the dead can only enter the mortal world, not return.
                  Success: A passage, the size of a normal door, is created between the land of the dead and the world of the living for one night. When the sun first breaks the horizon in the mortal world, the door shuts forever, and those on the wrong side of it will be trapped unless they find, or make, another exit.
                  Exceptional Success: The passage lasts for a lunar month. The dead and living can cross over in this location for as long as the location remains intact. If a changeling has used the loophole to invoke this Contract, she must maintain the laws of hospitality only for that first night. The changeling has no mystical control over who uses the door; she can only control access in the usual fashion, by guarding it, locking it, etc.
                  Loophole: The Contract is invoked at midnight in a mausoleum, and the changeling invokes the laws of hospitality while the Contract is in effect.
                  Can I make a minor comment first? I think you're making Contracts that don't need a roll have a roll. Remember, Contracts that don't directly affect others often just work, unless there's a reason to have a roll. I liked Shadowed Whispers, but Devil's Puppetry feels both powerful and not exactly... fae? Maybe if there was some give and take, I'd be more ok with it.

​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

Comment

Originally posted by haren View Post
                    Can I make a minor comment first? I think you're making Contracts that don't need a roll have a roll. Remember, Contracts that don't directly affect others often just work, unless there's a reason to have a roll. I liked Shadowed Whispers, but Devil's Puppetry feels both powerful and not exactly... fae? Maybe if there was some give and take, I'd be more ok with it.
                    Understood. Which ones do you recommend not having rolls?

Edit: What if, with Devil's Puppetry, it only works on willing targets, or those who've broken a pledge with the changeling, be they oathbreakers or bargained mortals?
                    Last edited by MrParaduo; 12-21-2017, 06:58 PM.

Comment

I've been working on some Courts myself. Here are three Courts inspired by three Runner factions from Netrunner: Maker Court (Inspired by Shaper faction), Taker Court (Inspired by Criminal faction), and Breaker Court (Inspired by Anarch faction).

Maker Court
                      Signature Emotion: Awe
                      Makers believe Arcadia to be mere reflection of Earth and seek to find beauty and perfection they glimpsed during their Duress.
                      Harvest: Maker gains point of Glamour whenever they receive verbal praise for their work.
                      Mien: Makers' mien reflects their artistic inclinations as well as bright eyed optimism. They often appear to have glowing eyes and auras of 'enlightenment' around their heads.
                      Patrons: Maker Court is backed by Inspiration, various Muses, and Divine figures of Craft and Exploration.
                      Ascension to Rulership: Makers ascend after Breakers by creating new Crown to replace one lost (more below). The new Maker Monarch starts period called "Rebirth" or more simply "Boom."
                      Give and Take: During Rebirth Arcadia is obligated to participate in Arms Race against Maker Court. Conflicts are decided by superior equipment.

Taker Court
                      Signature Emotion: Mistrust
                      Takers returning from Arcadia realize the world is made of haves and have-nots. Having enough of being later category they do whatever they can to take whatever they want.
                      Harvest: Taker gains point of Glamour whenever they successfully steal something someone else they know needs.
                      Mien: Takers' pragmatic and criminal nature resonates throughout their mien. Red hands, dots of tar, skeletal patterns, as well as asymmetrical eyes. At higher mantle they start to blend in with other courts.
                      Patrons: Taker Court is backed by Opportunity, various Trickster Gods, and legendary Thieves.
                      Ascension to Rulership: Takers ascend after Makers by stealing their Crown. The new Taker Monarch starts period known simply as "Crime Spree."
                      Give and Take: During Crime Spree only True Fae, Huntsmen, loyalists, and Goblins that Changelings have stolen or bought something from can attack Freehold.

Breaker Court
                      Signature Emotion: Outrage
                      Breakers had enough. Of Arcadia. Of True Fae. But especially enough of cold unfeeling Earth that had driven them to fringes from where they were kidnapped. Breaker's Creed is to save the humanity by reforging them in fires of revolution so that no one would have to suffer in human or fey hands again.
                      Harvest: Breaker gains point of Glamour whenever they hear someone express their frustration with way things are.
                      Mien: Breakers' mien echoes glory of barbarians and zealots. Their skin becomes cowered in geometric shapes, depictions of predators, or political manifestos spelled out in blood.
                      Patrons: Breaker Court is backed by Revolution, Cataclysms, and Gods of War.
                      Ascension to Rulership: Breakers ascend after Takers by driving Taker monarch into corner (easier said than done) and shattering Crown into shards. Breaker Monarch, known as Warlord/Warchief bears shards of Crown as jewelry, starting period known as "Riot."
                      Give and Take: During Riot Arcadian forces are denied the favored tactic of Breaker Court: dog pile. Arcadian forces must always be equally sized or smaller than forces of Freehold.

Each of these is also meant to mirror one of three flavors of "loyalists." Makers vs True Loyalists, Takers vs Privateers, and Breakers vs Bridge Burners. Mantle and Court Contracts still painfully unfinished.

Comment

Originally posted by MrParaduo View Post
                        Understood. Which ones do you recommend not having rolls?

Edit: What if, with Devil's Puppetry, it only works on willing targets, or those who've broken a pledge with the changeling, be they oathbreakers or bargained mortals?
                        I think that if it was me, the first three Contracts of Purgation wouldn't have rolls.

On Devil's Puppetry... THAT (especially the second), I like... it's very much a "devil's deal" then.

Comment

Would you say 3 Common and 1 Royal Contract per Court would be good minimum for beginning of Chronicle?

Comment

Originally posted by Weird View Post
                            Would you say 3 Common and 1 Royal Contract per Court would be good minimum for beginning of Chronicle?
                            I'd personally have it be 2 Royal Contracts, but 3 Common and 1 Royal isn't too bad either.

Also, what's the overall name of your Courts together? The Runner Courts or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Weird View Post
                              I think that 3 and 2 would be safer, but yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

I'd personally have it be 2 Royal Contracts, but 3 Common and 1 Royal isn't too bad either.

Also, what's the overall name of your Courts together? The Runner Courts or something else?
                                Runner Court is best name I can think of at the moment. I have rough idea for what each Court's Contracts would be about (I mean I got their Patrons), but actually sitting down and writing 4-5 x3 completely new Contracts is bit intimidating.

Comment

Working...
                                X