No announcement yet.

[2E] Homebrew Courts and Freeholds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrParaduo would you also add a link of https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VM...qHqKhxLATQI3T3 to that? That's the PDF version of the Travelers' Courts. I think I've called it finished.

​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

http://harenm.deviantart.com/gallery/ for my art.

Comment

• Originally posted by haren View Post
      MrParaduo would you also add a link of https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VM...qHqKhxLATQI3T3 to that? That's the PDF version of the Travelers' Courts. I think I've called it finished.
      Yep, sure thing.

nWoD Warhammer Fantasy RPG,
      WoD Wraith: The Oblivion
      and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Comment

• Right, so while technically not following this thread topic, felt like it was worth putting up the actual mechanics surrounding toon changelings (or Lost Toons) to go along with the Toontown courts. As discussed, I didn't want to make it a Seeming or Kith because I didn't want to put a stranglehold on any player choice by forcing them to choose a particular Seeming or Kith just to be a toon. So, made it a merit.

Merit: Tooned Up (••)

Prerequisite: Changeling
        Because of the distinct and different Contracts of Paint and Ink that the True Fae swore to become cartoons, the toon changelings they create are different and distinct from regular changelings. While the Lost Toons share the same traits and template (Wyrd, Glamour, Clarity, Fae Mein, etc) they have the following changes:

-Bullet Gag: Toons are known for being incredibly hard to hit. Common to them feats as either outrunning bullets by running really fast, or pulling their body out of the way from an incoming attack.

System: Lost Toons can apply their Defense to ranged attacks in addition to close ranged attacks.

-Injury Immunity: Toons can take a suprisingly large degree of punishment. A punch to the head deforms their face but quickly reforms into the normal shape, anvils and similar heavy objects can be dropped on their head but the Toon can walk away whistling, and their body can be riddled with bullets, only for them to stare bemused at all the holes in their chest.

System: A Toon changelings can reduce lethal damage down to bashing damage by their Wyrd rating. Additionally, they can soak lethal and bashing damage.

-Healing Paint: Because they are products of Paint and Ink, they can likewise heal themselves from damage by applying paint or ink to their wounds. Any kind of paint and ink will do: doesn’t matter if it’s acrylic or oil paint, doesn't matter if the ink came from your standard inkwell or from a printing press, it’ll do the trick of getting a Lost Toon to close that nasty

System: When healing wounds with paint, treat the healing rate as one step below the normal rate: bashing damage heals one point per 7 minutes, lethal damage heals one point per 15 minutes, and aggravated damage heals one point per two days (aggravated damage from paint thinner instead at 1 point per 15 minutes). If used as part of a Medicine Skill test, the player gains a +3 bonus to the roll.

-Thinning Things Out: This benefit does have it’s downside though: paint thinner. This stuff is dangerous to a Lost Toon: paint thinner can completely melt them down. Doesn’t matter if it’s turpentine, acetone, toluene, all are viable chemicals that reduce a toon changeling down to a puddle of paint and ink.

System: Paint thinner does aggravated damage to a toon changeling. Cold iron still affects them the same way as regular changelings.

-Physical Exaggeration: Finally, for non-toons it is VERY strange affair dealing with a Lost Toon. There always seems to be something a bit...off about them. Perhaps the things they talk about seem really strange (opening their skulls to check on a headache or how a cat’s tail makes a lovely violin). Maybe their facial expressions seem overly expressive and exaggerated (eyes get too big, smiles are too wide). Or maybe it’s the way they walk, how their movements seem TOO fluid (limbs seem to move and wiggle like a wet noodle)...either way their toon-ness can be very uncomfortable for non-toons to deal with.

System: When interacting with non-toons (mortals, other supernaturals, ephemeral entities) the toon changeling takes a -2 penalty to all Social actions. Additionally, when using Social Maneuvering, the defender starts at 1 impression worse and 1 additional Door. However when interacting with non-toon Fae (changelings, hobgoblins, True Fae) toon changelings instead take a -4 penalty to all Social actions. Penalties to Social Maneuvering increases to starting at 2 impressions worse and 2 additional Doors. This has no effect on toon fae, Huntsmen, or Fae-Touched that made their promise with a Lost Toon.

Any comments and feedback is appreciated.
        Last edited by tasti man LH; 01-22-2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• I think it's balanced, at least enough for your Chronicle, but it sounds like Hobgoblins, Huntsmen and even True Fae could have this merit too. Hell, Swing You Sinners as inspiration for Guilt-based Hedge Ghosts. So perhaps expand the Prerequisite to all fae beings? Also, I think you meant Defense against Firearms, as you can apply your defense against other ranged attacks normally in most situations.

Also, would you mind if I made a revised version to clear up some unclear wording and tighten up the language? Its a hobby of mine. I wouldn't mess with any of the actual mechanical parts.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
            I think it's balanced, at least enough for your Chronicle, but it sounds like Hobgoblins, Huntsmen and even True Fae could have this merit too. Hell, Swing You Sinners as inspiration for Guilt-based Hedge Ghosts. So perhaps expand the Prerequisite to all fae beings?
            Yeah, there would be a whole different sub-category of toon fae. So this merit would also apply to toon hobgoblins.

Huntsmen and True Fae I admit I was still kind of stirring around in my head. I did feel like that while toon versions of them exist, their non-toon counterparts could still interact with Lost Toons without facing any of the ill-effects. Huntsmen being more terrifying in being immune to Physical Exaggeration. I would think that the Gentry, even the non-toon ones, don't care about how weird you look.

Granted the idea of a Huntsman that's like Judge Doom from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" is too good of an idea to pass up...

But, I'm open to suggestions either way.

Also, would you mind if I made a revised version to clear up some unclear wording and tighten up the language? Its a hobby of mine. I wouldn't mess with any of the actual mechanical parts.
            Yeah, go for it.

Comment

• The main thing that stands out to me is that Physical Exaggeration is a hell of toll for basically what seems to be the default for a campaign. That's not a problem, per se, but I would argue that either it needs the Mask to not be factor for those effected, with those who see only the mask only feeling some ill-ease, or that fairy beings should perhaps have less of a negative reaction.

OR! Fae and Mortals each have different reactions, something that doesn't weigh on the Toons all the time (like, the same thing all the time, is what I mean) but still helps to exacerbate their sense of alienation from both mortals and other fairies.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
              Work Blog Coming Soon
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                The main thing that stands out to me is that Physical Exaggeration is a hell of toll for basically what seems to be the default for a campaign. That's not a problem, per se, but I would argue that either it needs the Mask to not be factor for those effected, with those who see only the mask only feeling some ill-ease, or that fairy beings should perhaps have less of a negative reaction.
                ...I knew I was forgetting something...

Anyways the idea for that is:

The Mask pretty much does cover up the worst of their toon nature...but they can't COMPLETELY cover it up. That bits of it does leak through. Because these Lost's Durance basically involved toon mentality and tics get ingrained into them. The Mask will still do it's job either way, but not completely. And hence why mortals and non-fae supernaturals get the lesser penalty.

With non-toon fae on the other hand, they CAN see the Lost Toon's mein, and what they see scares the shit out of them. A lot of the type of cartoon characters made during the 1920's-30's is...pretty freaking horrifying. Even the protagonist characters would be a bit unnerving in comparison to everything else.

And, well, it would have to be something severe enough if Lost Toons are getting kicked out and barred from other freeholds.

Other Toon Fae wouldn't be affected since they themselves are toons.
                Last edited by tasti man LH; 01-22-2018, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

...I knew I was forgetting something...

Anyways the idea for that is:

The Mask pretty much does cover up the worst of their toon nature...but they can't COMPLETELY cover it up. That bits of it does leak through. Because these Lost's Durance basically involved toon mentality and tics get ingrained into them. The Mask will still do it's job either way, but not completely. And hence why mortals and non-fae supernaturals get the lesser penalty.

With non-toon fae on the other hand, they CAN see the Lost Toon's mein, and what they see scares the shit out of them. A lot of the type of cartoon characters made during the 1920's-30's is...pretty freaking horrifying. Even the protagonist characters would be a bit unnerving in comparison to everything else.

And, well, it would have to be something severe enough if Lost Toons are getting kicked out and barred from other freeholds.

Other Toon Fae wouldn't be affected since they themselves are toons.
                  I'd still make an argument for ways in which each is mechanically reflected rather than lumping the style as one, even with mechanical similarity. Consider that while some of the cartoons are terrifying, particularly the Fleischer inspired lot, it's not an different from some of the horrors out of the art world throughout history or a lot of the anti-art, post war reactions, or even just the long standing nightmares that previously might not have had expression save in Arcadia through flesh. That said, Toons have a strange relationship to motion and space and familiarity (the mind more easily sees itself in cartoon than in anything else, and so changelings would really have their Clarity wig out on that front) that blurs that relationship between fairy and iron.

In fact, I would almost entirely put it that way-mortals suffer from Social, and maybe same for Hobs and such, but changelings suffer minor tremors in their Clarity that won't be reconciled until animation settles more into the societal dreamscape.

EDIT: On top of all the era stuff, I will always recommend Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics anytime you get anywhere near the subject of the cartoon. Sure, it's primarily focused on comics and animation is very much it's own thing-but it's heavy focus on the way we interact with iconography and how that conveys in mechanics of cartoon storytelling is hella useful for thinking about this kind of stuff and bridges both mediums.
                  Last edited by ArcaneArts; 01-23-2018, 02:35 AM.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                    I'd still make an argument for ways in which each is mechanically reflected rather than lumping the style as one, even with mechanical similarity. Consider that while some of the cartoons are terrifying, particularly the Fleischer inspired lot, it's not an different from some of the horrors out of the art world throughout history or a lot of the anti-art, post war reactions, or even just the long standing nightmares that previously might not have had expression save in Arcadia through flesh. That said, Toons have a strange relationship to motion and space and familiarity (the mind more easily sees itself in cartoon than in anything else, and so changelings would really have their Clarity wig out on that front) that blurs that relationship between fairy and iron.

In fact, I would almost entirely put it that way-mortals suffer from Social, and maybe same for Hobs and such, but changelings suffer minor tremors in their Clarity that won't be reconciled until animation settles more into the societal dreamscape.
                    That...actually makes sense.

Non-toon changelings seeing something as wild and unreal as a living cartoon? Yeah, that would be the kind of thing that would cause their Clarity to take a hit.

Would have to think it over a bit more on how to apply Clarity damage in this case though: for instance off the top of my head, while a non-toon changeling getting hit by mild Clarity damage when they first meet a toon changeling, getting hit with it every single time they meet them is...a bit much

EDIT: On top of all the era stuff, I will always recommend Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics you get anywhere near the subject of the cartoon. Sure, it's primarily focused on comics and animation is very much it's own thing-but it's heavy focus on the way we interact with iconography and how that conveys in mechanics of cartoon storytelling is hella useful for thinking about this kind of stuff and bridges both mediums.
                    Ooh, thanks for the recommendation! I'll be sure to look into it.

Comment

• For me, the main thing I would hinge Clarity damage on is the uncanny relationship between cartoon and audience-a Toon's actions should more readily be recognized as "I could be doing that", more able to project themselves onto them. Soooo wager that any Clarity attack a Toon triggers could possibly affect other changelings as well, and things that would normally be strictly personal can still damage them if a Toon does it as well.

I would also allow some of the more egrigious toon physics to mess with people. A casual bullet dodge may not trigger it, but a Exceptional Dodge beating an Exceptional Shot would definitely do it, and a Toon taking on a hammer might be shrugged off, but literal anvils might be taken as deeply alarming.

EDIT: Unrelated, I hope Steed as having some kind of relationship to Toons is definitely a thing.
                      Last edited by ArcaneArts; 01-23-2018, 12:37 AM.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

• Hey, you guys know how there's a court merit with prerequisite 3 dots in Mantle? What are the rules and limitations for designing one of those?

and Infernum-style Demon: The Descent, Shadows of Abaddon --> http://madnessforums.com/forums/inde...opic,26.0.html

Comment

• Originally posted by MrParaduo View Post
                          Hey, you guys know how there's a court merit with prerequisite 3 dots in Mantle? What are the rules and limitations for designing one of those?
                          In the corebook? No, there doesn't seem to be any actual guidelines on creating Merits like that.

Reading through these Merits though, to me they come across as being an extra Mantle benefit. Specifically for 3 dot Mantles.

Comment

• Wondering if I should snatch some art off the web for the sake of visuals for the various court emblems. I'm no maestro with a pencil, but dunno what'd to look for...

Comment

• That is a really good/cool idea MrParaduo !

​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

http://harenm.deviantart.com/gallery/ for my art.

Comment

• Originally posted by haren View Post
                                That is a really good/cool idea MrParaduo !
                                Really? Oh... okay then! Which of these looks like a good coat-of-arms for Purgation:

Comment

Working...
                                X