X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tasti man LH
    started a topic [2E] Homebrew Courts and Freeholds

[2E] Homebrew Courts and Freeholds

Similar to how a new thread was made for custom kiths in observance in the change in developers and rulesets, figured it might be time to start a new 2e homebrew thread for freeholds and their courts. And any other discussion regarding court creation.

Developing my own courts right now, but it's going to be a bit before I can post that up.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    All completed write-ups on homebrew Courts and Freeholds are below here. This post will be regularly updated whenever new write-ups are added.

Traveler's Courts
    by haren
    "What are the 'roles' of the various Courts?? Also, how does the Freehold work?"

First off, this particular Freehold is either a carnival or circus. But the roots of the Courts are old, possibly predating the Seasonal Courts (a matter of great contention when it comes up between the nomadic Courts and Seasonal ones). The names have changed slightly, but the MEANING is the same. Which implies that perhaps a Court Patron's identity can change slightly (as with name) as humanity changes.

As to roles of the Courts... The Freehold is a nomadic one, and the leadership are more like each has a particular field/time they rule over. And yes, path are the scouts. Cargo is day to day rulership until Carriage takes over. Crossroads determines where they're headed and is more long term planning. Carriage is night to night. They rule over the nights till day. Path Court also the ones who, to a degree, decide where/when the other three Courts rule. They decide when to stop, and when to start again. They're in effect the ones who are responsible for getting from point A to point B. But they take a back seat once they take up temporary settlement in a town. At that point, they're probably in charge of making sure routes of exit are secured and deciding how long they'll set up, barring terrible circumstance. But the one thing they always rule over is the gathering of resources, since such requires leaving the Path. Crossroads rules in that in between time between the road and having a temporary home.

Path wears the Crown while the Freehold is all in motion. Crossroads wears it while they are still traveling, but now paused for rest (including the time as they both setup or takedown for a temporary residence in an area). Cargo and Carriage wear the crown when they have decided to take up temporary residence (in day and night cycles as mentioned above) after everything is fully set up.

Full doc

Pathways Court
    Crossroads Court
    Cargo Court
    Carriage Court
    Bargains
    Carnivale of Gossamer Veils
    Contracts:
    Courts of Comedy and Tragedy
    by Mad_Maudlin
    After the Great War, the Seasonal Courts of Berlin were just as damaged as the rest of the country. Those Lost who made it through the Hedge in these years found precious little to keep them there, and the depopulated freehold became easy prey for privateers. To that end, in 1921, the former Spring Queen and Winter King forged new Bargains with Comedy and Tragedy, reorganizing the remaining Lost to either laugh in the face of despair or learn to live with it.

Court of Comedy
    Court of Tragedy
    Santa Muerte Courts
    by Hsienfan
    Death has always watched over the people of Mexico. That isn't an insult, or a poetic commentary on their state of affairs, despite what news or TV shows about the drug trade might have you think-- It is verifiable religious truth. Mictēcacihuātl tended to the Aztec underworld, and in the wake of the conquistadores and forced conversion to Catholicism, the natives eventually dressed her in the clothing of a folk saint: Our Lady of Holy Death, Santa Muerte, she who watches over the lost. Unlike what some say is a silent, uncaring god in Christianity, Santa Muerte can do anything, protect anyone... and that especially includes the Changelings who petition and swear vows in her name.

Red Court of All Desires
    White Court of Purity
    Black Court of Doom and Power
    The Blue Court
    Tellurian Courts
    by MrParaduo
    Unlike the Seasonal Courts, who function on a time table, the Tellurian Courts center on a bizarre form of checks and balances. Divided into three courts (Empyreal, Purgation, and Infernal), both the freehold’s wards and crown are determined by whom of said-three is weakest. This prevents the other two from muscling them out, and ensures power is balanced between the trinity. This confounds the Gentry, unable to comprehend a game that cannot be won. What’s more, wearing the crown does not grant authority over the entire freehold. On matters that involve the freehold, a council is held comprised of three representatives. How these representatives are chosen is entirely up to their respective Courts. In freeholds with a large population of changelings, the Tellurian Council increases its number to at most nine delegates (three for each court). Usually such representatives were past or current bearers of the crown, but this is not the iron rule. To ensure the wards are maintained, however, the rites and ceremonies of the crowned court take precedence over the other two.

Purgatory
    Heavens
    Inferno
    Crowns
    Mantle
    Legends
    Toontown Courts
    by tasti man LH
    Hollywood, California 1930's

It’s said that there is no other business like show business. And the changelings of the Toontown freehold in Hollywood know this intimately.

Like many mortals of the time, the Gentry were fascinated by the realm of animation. Especially with the idea of humans creating entirely new worlds and characters with nothing but paper, pencils, and ink. So naturally, the Gentry wanted some of that for themselves. So many changelings in this time period as cartoon characters. Coming back to our world after going through the Hedge, things were actually worse for them when they came back. Non-toon changelings regarded toon changelings with more suspicion and fear then they normally would. Their fae meins, their manifestations of their Contracts, and their…toon way of thinking, they were deemed too strange and bizarre to be among them. Toon changelings were repeatedly barred from entry into freeholds and ostracized from other changelings.

So, the toon changelings got together to form their own freehold, naming it Toontown. Word quickly traveled around the world that there existed a freehold where any toon changeling could find a home and where they could find other Lost like them. And that they understand and appreciate the strange and bizarre world of cartoons together.

The Cartoon Courts roles are as entertainers. They understand that to entertain is to invoke specific emotions within the audience. And that sometimes, certain emotions are what the audience needs depending on what’s going on in their life. Especially in the current times, when the Great Depression was in full force and people needed a little bit of entertainment to take their mind of the troubles of the real-world.

Laughing Court
    Musical Court
    Horrific Court
    Last edited by tasti man LH; 02-13-2018, 03:35 AM.

• Caedus
    replied
    So i am writing up a Changeling the Lost second edition setting, set in the small city of Harstad, Norway and the surrounding area. For that setting, I thought it would be cool to design two courts to serve as the locally established freehold. The current idea that I have are for the two courts to be as follows:

The Court of Love: This court unlike spring doesn't focus on the desires surrounding love, but more on the attachment itself. Love for them is everything from romantic love to the love of a good workout or a family member. Their way of coping with their durance is focusing on building relationships and attachments to things and people in their life. They also are very much culturally inclined in fostering love that other people are feeling((or should feel in their opinion)). This can make some of them really annoying matchmakers that would even make Aphrodite groan, or they can almost like be a traveling band of cheerleaders who actively help people become friends or pursue their dreams.

The Court of Hate: The Court of Hate on the other hand have little interest in "coping" or "moving on" from their durance. They want revenge first and foremost, they aren't happy with just protecting their freehold or sending out armies to fight against the Gentry in the Hedge. Hate is cold and slow compared to the immediate explosion that is wrath, the members of this court want to hit the Gentry where it hurts. So in a lot of ways the members of this court act more as spies, saboteurs and schemers as opposed to being warriors. Their hate is everlasting and their emnity will never die. This hate even extends to other enemies of their court.

So what i wanted some help with was threefold:

1. Help with Designing their Mantels

2. Find out how these two courts share/transition their power between the two of them

3. Come up with Court Contracts

Ideas for helping to develop these two courts is also helpful, i have been considering adding in a third court to represent the middle so to speak: The Court of Indifference...But i wanted you guyses take on that before proceeding .

Leave a comment:

• thatxygirl
    replied
    I posted this about a year ago in a different thread, but would love to get some more opinions on it now that the kickstarter has been released. Please let me know if you would rather me paste individual components rather than a link to the document. This is for a freehold in St. Augustine, Florida, in the United States.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Leave a comment:

• haren
    replied
    Going to add this to my document a bit later (running a Changeling game) but a 1 point Hollow bonus that requires Hob Alarm for Traveler's Freeholds... basically there's a set but potentially mobile entrance because the Hollow is moved by the Hobs. Basically it's so you can have a symbiotic Goblin Market with a mobile Hollow set up for both changelings and some hobs.

Leave a comment:

• xiongrey
    replied
    tasti man LH , Amazing job updating the First Post!!! This thread is an awesome resource!

Leave a comment:

• MrParaduo
    replied
    Originally posted by haren View Post
    Upper right, if you need an alternative.
    Don't be afraid to offer images. The one's I've shown here are just what I could find at the mo.

Leave a comment:

• haren
    replied
    Upper right, if you need an alternative.

Leave a comment:

• MrParaduo
    replied
    Lower left hand one, 100%
    Wished it was cropped, for the sake of presentation. Any recommendations for an alternative?

Leave a comment:

• haren
    replied
    Lower left hand one, 100%

Leave a comment:

• MrParaduo
    replied
    What about these for the Empyreal Court?

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    I like the first one personally

Leave a comment:

• haren
    replied
    I personally like the last one best.

Leave a comment:

• MrParaduo
    replied
    That is a really good/cool idea MrParaduo !
    Really? Oh... okay then! Which of these looks like a good coat-of-arms for Purgation:

Leave a comment:

• haren
    replied
    That is a really good/cool idea MrParaduo !

Leave a comment:

• MrParaduo
    replied
    Wondering if I should snatch some art off the web for the sake of visuals for the various court emblems. I'm no maestro with a pencil, but dunno what'd to look for...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X