Fae Retainers Merit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fae Retainers Merit?

I noticed that Changeling core lacks rules for Fae Retainers aside from animated objects.

But it meantions that Hobgoblins could have strange retainers like Changelings.

And I was expecting a merit or side bar for Fae Touched Retainers, but there wasn't.

VtR 2e had a side bar for Ghoul retainers for the retainers merit. And Secrets of the Covenants also had rules for Void Creature retainers.

So was this oversight? They also had no rules for Hedge Beast Companions.

I think a side bar would work better, probably for the same reasons as Ghoul retainers. But yeah, I'd not thought of this till now, I think because I was just excited, but there is ROOM there for those...

​When noise turns to silence, when colors dull and pale, when reality no longer makes sense, there shall you find me. There, in the dreams of the River of Faceless Millions, do I dwell.

http://harenm.deviantart.com/gallery/ for my art.

Comment

Here is an example of what you can do even with what starts off as a regular retainer.

Retainer ••••• : Belinda (an occult obsessed cheerleader hungry for magic and immortality)

Tooling around around the dream roads a character finds Belinda, a mortal who was playing around with a odd book of occult knowledge who accidently used a key to enter the hedge with no way out.

The character makes a Bargain with Belinda the character will grant her a new magical trick at least once a month, starting with making her a pyschic vampire and in exchange Belinda will act as a spy and assassin for the character seducing and killing whoever the character tells her too.

The Changeling uses Dreamweaving to grant Belinda • Psychic Vampire merit which allows Belinda to deal bashing damage with a touch in exchange for Empherea which can be spent too stop herself from aging, to pay the Empherea bleed tax, and to heal herself of bashing and lethal damage.

In time over months the Character grants Belinda more Psychic Vampire merits like Pyshic Battery and Psychic Seduction and Unearthly Beauty, mental merits like • Languages, • Direction Sense, and access to fae magic like the service of contract summoned fae, occult knowledge, the Library Merit, and so on.

Yes this makes your retainer more powerful, but it's no worse then Mages casting spells on a retainer or a Werewolf adding their retainer to their pack.

Comment

A bit off topic, but I wonder if you can increase the Retainer level of an object you've enchanted via Dance Of The Toys? An Exceptional Success allows you to buy it as a one dot retainer, but it doesn't say you can or can't increase the level of its competency.

Comment

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
          A bit off topic, but I wonder if you can increase the Retainer level of an object you've enchanted via Dance Of The Toys? An Exceptional Success allows you to buy it as a one dot retainer, but it doesn't say you can or can't increase the level of its competency.
          Considering that the extended duration is the only benefit of exceptional success for this Contract whose base effect is "make an object do what it does, and if you are/know the right sort of fae it will have some discernment and/or mobility" and higher dots in Retainer explicitly represent a greater degree of competence, I'd say no.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
            Considering that the extended duration is the only benefit of exceptional success for this Contract whose base effect is "make an object do what it does, and if you are/know the right sort of fae it will have some discernment and/or mobility" and higher dots in Retainer explicitly represent a greater degree of competence, I'd say no.
            Barring exceptional circumstances, that's a fair point. Thanks.

Comment

Would it be enough to take the VtR ghoul approach? 1 contract at (*), 2 at (***) and 3 at (*****). I do feel that's an easy manor to translate the ability across. Only drawback is might be more likely for hobs to know more contracts than a ghoul would know disciplines.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.F.I.X. View Post
                Would it be enough to take the VtR ghoul approach? 1 contract at (*), 2 at (***) and 3 at (*****). I do feel that's an easy manor to translate the ability across. Only drawback is might be more likely for hobs to know more contracts than a ghoul would know disciplines.
                It's workable, but the question is how powerful is a common contract compared to a discipline?

Using Vigor passively you add it's dots to your strength passively at no cost, then the ghoul can choose to spend vitae for extra benefits. 3 dots in vigor makes the ghoul inhumanly strong.

An Avowed on the other hand could have Loyal Servant, Glimpse of a Distant Mirror, Boon of the Scuttling Spider. These give the Avowed no passive benefit and they can use the loophole, but the Avowed has easy access to Glamour, and does not depend on a Changeling to harvest it. This Avowed can summon weak quasi hedge ghost like creature of countless different types into existence, spy via reflective surfaces to any distance as long as she's appeared in it, and walk on any surface, horizontal or vertical or slippery surfaces.

So comparing that, I'd say, they are pretty equal, but very different, so it could work.

Comment

Omegaphallic the original reason I'd done this method for various minor templates is that the experience cost of the power is similar. Sure, templates are not balanced against each other but they are internationally balanced.

So, if a ghoul having a vampire's power why not a hob having not only a changeling's but their own abilities. This method is fast and lose with the rules yes but by working off a previous example it may be more balanced than just using the hob creation rules. Because if instead we had the standard creation rules here the issues you see would be far greater. Wyrd 1, 3 contracts. Wyrd 2, 5 contracts. Wyrd 3, 7 contracts. So this approach I suggest is just a varied degree of power that fits a wyrd 1 creature which the dice pool mechanics of retainer probably lie up best with regardless.

Next is since a hob is restricted from not taking royal or court contracts they are locked out of some of the stronger abilities anyway.

So ya, as you said, it can work I just thought I'd expand on why it can work in my opinion.

Comment

I actually realized that you could set it up so your human retainer ends up with the Hedge Denizen Condition, instant hobgoblin, but one human looking enough to take into the ironside.

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
                      I actually realized that you could set it up so your human retainer ends up with the Hedge Denizen Condition, instant hobgoblin, but one human looking enough to take into the ironside.
                      Wouldn't they benifit from a mask as all fae things do ironside anyway? That is if a non changeling is changed as it only says a changeling's mein is changed. I think you'd gain a mask and a mein as a hob but it isn't RAW.

With a human retainer though having hedge denizen they'd have two goblin contacts (I think) which kinda puts up back where we started? They also don't have a way to get or gather glamour as far as the condition is concerned so they rely on the loopholes.

Comment

Working...
                      X