Hybrid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid

After reading the brilliant post about fusing the lost and requiem I have been extremely interested in hybridizing splats. But now I find myself wondering are other combinations possible? The only things I can think of off the top my head would be maybe changeling and demon....maybe changeling and one of the immortals? Unfortunately I am not good at home brewing So I was curious if anyone else has tried making a new changeling hybrids or if they have any ideas?

I was thinking that, if I were to ever do a campaign, I'd add in a Hedge Demon - basically an Angel that managed, through one way or another, to get into the Hedge and was designed to figure it out. It does...but the act of doing so causes it to fall, and the knowledge it has and its very location warp it into something part fae. It would have access to both Contracts and Exploits, using Glamour instead of Aether, though Embeds would be beyond its capability due to how warped its hardware is; its own variant of Rip The Gates would allow it to travel to and from the Hedge easily. Like normal Demons it could create Covers, but its primary Cover would be that of a Hobgoblin, and it wouldn't have a Mask if it entered Ironside (for that it would need to cobble together a human Cover from pacts or the Goblin Market traits); Soul Pacts are off the table. Though the consequences of its Cover a bit more complex; its attention from the God-Machine would be lesser due to the realm separating them, but it would have a greater chance of attracting attention from the Gentry, which perhaps scares it just as much. As for its relationship with the local Freehold...well, that's something that would be determined in-game.

Naturally, this would be an NPC.

Comment

Changeling Primary, like the Admonitoria? Or just including Changeling?

You could strange Fetches touched by the Divine Fire that seek to become more than mere placeholders and copies of the abducted Changeling.
      Demons that have tied their Primum into a system of stories and bargains, making Pacts with forces other than mortals, such as Goblins or the Seasons themselves.
      Werewolves that have Changed under the Hedge's Not-Quite-Luna moon.
      Those who've escaped their Durance in spirit - by entering into a Contract with a Watchtower or Supernal Entity - before their body followed suit.
      People revived by particularly unique Hedge Ghosts - those like Geists able to Bargain with a dying mortal - to secure a place Ironside.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I think changeling (main) and purified immortal would be interesting

Comment

Anyone have any advice on that one?

Comment

Not without knowing how the Purified work in 2E, I’m afraid.

One concept I imagine is fleeing into the Shadow to hide from the fae, or into the Hedge to hide from spirits, since how many Purified also carry a debt of sorts to the spirits of the Shadow.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

I've been working on and off on a combination of changelings and werewolves called the Cu Sith. They're still a long way off, but the intention is for them to go through their First Change during the process of being crafted into a changeling, resulting in a bizarre fusion of the two.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
              Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res. Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action; C20 Anthology of Dreams
              Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Hedge Beasts (as in Begotten) would be easy enough, and I think there are a couple possible variants:
                • A Beast stumbles into the Hedge through a Primordial Pathway, and is overpowered by a Keeper who finds this living nightmare fascinating.
                • A Beast whose Horror left the Lair while low on Satiety and ended up trapped in the Hedge. The human aspect of the Begotten never enters the Hedge, but he knows his Lair is empty and unguarded while his Horror is horribly out of place. Anything that affects the Horror (ie Goblin Debt, the Hedge Denizen condition) also affects the human half.
                • Conversely, the human aspect of the Beast enters the Hedge while the Horror is Gorged and unconscious, and is treated like a mortal for all supernatural effects....until the Horror suddenly wakes. (Turns out the damsel in distress is also the dragon, lads!)
                • An Unfettered Beast that has shed its human aspect entirely might enter the Hedge through the Dreaming Roads and decide to stay there.
                Nightmares and Lair Traits would work profoundly differently in the Hedge, I think, but gaining Satiety and reaping Glamour are pretty similar processes. A big question would be what the Dark Mother thinks of Her Children being so cruelly misused by their fae cousins -- and whether/how much the Beast's faith in Her would be shaken by a Durance.

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
                  I've been working on and off on a combination of changelings and werewolves called the Cu Sith. They're still a long way off, but the intention is for them to go through their First Change during the process of being crafted into a changeling, resulting in a bizarre fusion of the two.
                  Interesting, and I also have noticed how the premise of Changeling meshes rather well with a lot of the other full-splats to suggest hybrids. Usually arriving via several different possible avenues. Werewolves would be one where you could get a wolf-blooded who is subjected to the attentions of the Gentry and Changes under strange stars (and moons), as well as full Urathra who are abducted and their flesh flensed around the tatters of their spirit-form to enable a function more pleasing to their Keeper. I imagine it would be a... technical challenge, and one that a bored story-horror would find intriguing.

The Urathra herself, somewhat less so.

Initial leaning would be to model the mechanics off of, say, Bale Hounds, in that the end result would effectively strip auspice and renown and re-direct them toward Wyrd aspects: Contracts instead of Gifts, for example.

My campaign efforts anticipate ending up with a Changeling and were-lion PCs, and depending on how things go I can imagine the were-lion may get mixed up in Wyrd further. Regardless, there's work to do.

And then: there's all the minor splats, who are treated as effectively human when hoovered up by the Others and altered. Do a ghoul's blood points expire in a pocket-dimension with no time? What about a Proximi's spell capabilities; how do they react to Glamour? Wolf-blooded are the easiest, their Tells explicitly port over and exist in tandem with other, altered states.

It's a fun exercise, and I'll be excited to see the Admonitoria updated to 2e.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post

Interesting, and I also have noticed how the premise of Changeling meshes rather well with a lot of the other full-splats to suggest hybrids. Usually arriving via several different possible avenues. Werewolves would be one where you could get a wolf-blooded who is subjected to the attentions of the Gentry and Changes under strange stars (and moons), as well as full Urathra who are abducted and their flesh flensed around the tatters of their spirit-form to enable a function more pleasing to their Keeper. I imagine it would be a... technical challenge, and one that a bored story-horror would find intriguing.

The Urathra herself, somewhat less so.

Initial leaning would be to model the mechanics off of, say, Bale Hounds, in that the end result would effectively strip auspice and renown and re-direct them toward Wyrd aspects: Contracts instead of Gifts, for example.
                    So, an Uratha-as-Changeling...

Contracts instead of Gifts? Or differently flavored Gifts (ones closer to Contracts in effect)? Following a Ban does seem similar to invoking a Loophole...

Replace Renown with Fae-themed variants, and get more Fae!Renown from Hobgoblins instead of Lunes?

Much of the rest could be more or less the same, substituting the Hedge and Goblins for the Shadow and Spirits. The Wolf Must [Be Big And Bad/Eat Granny/Blow Your House Down]?

My campaign efforts anticipate ending up with a Changeling and were-lion PCs, and depending on how things go I can imagine the were-lion may get mixed up in Wyrd further. Regardless, there's work to do.
                    Please tell us the Were-lion needs to find their courage.

And then: there's all the minor splats, who are treated as effectively human when hoovered up by the Others and altered. Do a ghoul's blood points expire in a pocket-dimension with no time? What about a Proximi's spell capabilities; how do they react to Glamour? Wolf-blooded are the easiest, their Tells explicitly port over and exist in tandem with other, altered states.

It's a fun exercise, and I'll be excited to see the Admonitoria updated to 2e.

--Khanwulf
                    A child of Wolf and Demon uncovers the dormant magic in their bloodline, moments before seeking a lost friend in the Hedge? Temporary service to a vampire, optional?
                    Last edited by Vent0; 02-09-2018, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

So, an Uratha-as-Changeling...

Contracts instead of Gifts? Or differently flavored Gifts (ones closer to Contracts in effect)?

Replace Renown with Fae-themed variants, and get more Fae!Renown from Hobgoblins instead of Lunes?

Much of the rest could be more or less the same, substituting the Hedge and Goblins for the Shadow and Spirits. The Wolf Must [Be Big And Bad/Eat Granny/Blow Your House Down]?
                      I've been going back and forth between whether I want them to have Gifts or Contracts, but I'm leaning towards them requiring a fae creature to brand their soul regardless. I'm also leaning towards them having a sixth Renown type because of this. I'm going to keep "The Wolf Must Hunt", but they may have different requirements for that. Silver will have the same effects on them as cold iron. My ultimate goal is to make them a true hybrid that could be interesting to encounter or play, while maintaining enough balance that people can't "Haight" them too much.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                      Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res. Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action; C20 Anthology of Dreams
                      Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

I've been going back and forth between whether I want them to have Gifts or Contracts, but I'm leaning towards them requiring a fae creature to brand their soul regardless. I'm also leaning towards them having a sixth Renown type because of this. I'm going to keep "The Wolf Must Hunt", but they may have different requirements for that. Silver will have the same effects on them as cold iron. My ultimate goal is to make them a true hybrid that could be interesting to encounter or play, while maintaining enough balance that people can't "Haight" them too much.
                        They see me rolling (them dice), they haighting?

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

A child of Wolf and Demon uncovers the dormant magic in their bloodline, moments before seeking a lost friend in the Hedge? Temporary service to a vampire, optional?
                          Um, sure, so long as the vamp is an Admonitoria!

Haighters gonna Haight, y0?

----

Combining things to avoid double-posts....

Yes, if things end up zigging instead of zagging, I will *definitely* expect Leo to go find his courage in the Hedge. It's gotta be around here somewhere...

The Wolf Must [Contribute as Antagonist to the Story].

Oh. Oh! Can you imagine how handy an Urathra-Changeling would be as a Huntsman? Very chic, no? All the Others are gonna want one!

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post
                            I was thinking that, if I were to ever do a campaign, I'd add in a Hedge Demon - basically an Angel that managed, through one way or another, to get into the Hedge and was designed to figure it out. It does...but the act of doing so causes it to fall, and the knowledge it has and its very location warp it into something part fae. It would have access to both Contracts and Exploits, using Glamour instead of Aether, though Embeds would be beyond its capability due to how warped its hardware is; its own variant of Rip The Gates would allow it to travel to and from the Hedge easily. Like normal Demons it could create Covers, but its primary Cover would be that of a Hobgoblin, and it wouldn't have a Mask if it entered Ironside (for that it would need to cobble together a human Cover from pacts or the Goblin Market traits); Soul Pacts are off the table. Though the consequences of its Cover a bit more complex; its attention from the God-Machine would be lesser due to the realm separating them, but it would have a greater chance of attracting attention from the Gentry, which perhaps scares it just as much. As for its relationship with the local Freehold...well, that's something that would be determined in-game.

Naturally, this would be an NPC.
                            That is actually something I'm planning to toy with as an antogonist in my changeling game as a throwback to a character my player group dealt with at the end of a hunter game. They made a deal with The Fae Keeper in order to bring one of the player characters back to life (the player was a fetch, and the original changeling had killed him, because you know. reasons) and in exchange the players went and kidnapped a Demon they had encounter in a previous session or two, under the logic that the demon was super good at getting secrets and the Fae modelling himself as a 1930's gangster crimelord would definitely benefit off that.

So I'm planning to figure out the best way to narratively and mechanically figure out all the ways to mesh broken covers and seemings(and kiths) together into one ball of "what the fuck is that?!"

Comment

An idea that just took hold of me, sort of an extension of Overlord62 's idea about an Autumn Court Entitlement that worships the Dark Mother...

The Good Cousins: Adopted Children of the Dark Mother
                              There are Changeling who, whether by accident or by choice, enter the Primordial Dream via the Dreaming Roads. Some of them stay there long enough to "go native," by accident or luck or the Dark Mother's intercession. Begotten call them the Good Cousins, or occasionally the Adopted. They refer to themselves, euphemistically, as the Kindly Ones.

The Good Cousins retain their Seeming and Kith(s), but their Mask no longer functions and mien is often....different, after a while spent in the realm of collective nightmares. They also lose any dots in Court Goodwill or Court Mantle. Iron still disrupts their powers, and their Anchors are still a Needle and Thread.

They are no long subject to the Wyrd and its punishments for oathbreakers; instead, their power stat is their Legend. The more widely they are feared among mortals, the stronger they become. They still use Glamour as a fuel stat, but can only harvest Glamour from fear; reaping a non-fear emotion is possible but takes a -3 penalty on the roll. They have experimented with transplanting Goblin Fruits into the Primordial Dream with little success.

As they have lost their Wyrd, they can only use Goblin Contracts. They can also learn Primordial Sorcery and Nightmares. But their dreamweaving abilities are more powerful than ever; they can add their Legend to any roll intended to generate dreamweaving successes, and they can use dreamweaving anywhere in the Primordial Dream as easily as in a Bastion. (Dreamweaving in the Lair of a Begotten triggers a Clash of Wills, but unclaimed Chambers are fair game.) More importantly, they do not suffer from the negative effects of the Dream Infiltrator or related Conditions, as they blend in more effectively with the dream environment. This gives them almost limitless ability to manipulate a nightmare to their own ends.

The Kindly Ones can also open Primordial Pathways, and unlike the Begotten they don't need to anchor one end in a particular place. On the other hand, they have to contend with both Huntsmen and Heroes coming to pay them a visit, and don't have the protection of a Lair or a Court to help shield them. What they can fall back on is their family -- many Adopted are close to one or more broods of Begotten, and there are stories or one or two high-Legend Adopted becoming the local Apex.

Not sure how Clarity would work for these guys, or if they should get another Integrity analogue.

Comment

Working...
                              X