Finally Running My Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Running My Game

Had a convergence of excited players who've wrapped up other games. Going to start in a few weeks after wrapping up my round as GM in a Star Wars: Edge of the Empire game to free up my brain. So I thought I'd ask for some help on running my first CoD game.

Player Characters:

Musician: Spring Fairest: Got abducted by signing a music contract that ended up with him covered in blue feathers in a cage for his Keeper, The Lady of Frost. Plays guitar, but his Fetch switched to violin and married his girlfriend. Player wants to deal with the idea that his Fetch is actually a better person.

Bartender: Summer Darkling: Skilled brawler, better mixer of drinks. Learned to work with Goblin Fruits during his Durance. Wanted to get back to help his sick sister, and will do nearly anything for the money to pay her medical expenses.

Smuggler: Summer Darkling #2: Got abducted for his skill with guns. Smuggled moonshine and other drinks for the bartender. More details to come.

Beastmaster: Winter Beast: Ended up abducting animals for his Keeper's collection, now looking for atonement. Has a Mentor in the form of a Merlin (the bird) hedgebeast familiar.

Thinking about getting the Motley issue covered by having a prologue involving their escape from their Keepers while they're having a party.

I've got my character Ziggy who's going to try nudging them along with his agenda, but I could use some ideas for other NPCs they'd wind up interacting with. Other supernaturals involved in the area: The God Machine's recently built a facility to monitor the fae activity of the city and counteract earlier sabotage. There's also some increased spirit activity, including one I've written up named Skingiver, a spirit of transformation lore who's not particularly picky about who he advises.

Freehold politics: A bit unusual in that Spring and Autumn are pretty closely allied right now, and both in the good part of town (resorts and university, respectively), while Summer and Winter are located in the poorer districts, and on good terms with each other. Currently a bit of friction between the two sides.

Congratulations! Running a game is always a blast. And running Changeling can be very fun.

It seems your players are already familiar with the setting and the features such as contracts, fetches and goblin fruits. That makes things a lot easier.
    I was a GM for a first play with players who didn't knew the setting, so it was more complicated to explain what they could or could not do while trying not to metagame too much.
    I also tried to start with a prelude before their capture. It is complicated too, because when they are under a Keeper's power they will always try to escape while you try to create a scenario to explain that they will remain there for a long time...
    I think when they are captured in Arcadia, maybe you could shift their narrative perspective. Let each one of them play as the Keeper, or one of the KeeperĀ“s tormentors and let them have some fun inventing some crazy shenanigans to punish their own characters. It seems fun and less forced than having a railroaded characters in passive play that can't overcome their prison in Arcadia and must wait for the GM decision to jump for the escape scenario.

Comment

Thanks. Finally did a clumsy wrap-up of my Star Wars game last night (now it's a friend's turn), so I can concentrate on Changeling. The players got familiar because I've been talking about it for a while. They're not as familiar with the other CoD game lines, so I can still pull a few surprises if they get used to dealing with fae and mortal threats.

For the escape, I was tempted to give them opportunities to decide on a plan and let it succeed, but now I'm thinking of adding in some other choices for them to make, like whether or not to risk rescuing other captives, or other hard choices. Any suggestions? For the "let it succeed" part, I'm also thinking of having one of the gathered Gentry subtly assist them as part of his own Byzantine scheme to get at a rival, to fuel paranoia if the players realize they got an assist.

Comment

Byzantine politics anongst the Others is always appropriate

Comment

Did they all escape together? And suffer their Durance together?

What I am getting at is if you want to seed some paranoia, have them escape with others and have at least one if them turn out to be a Loyalist plant/traitor (bonus points if they are actually a wood-blood, etc.).

What area is this in? Big City, Small Town? Old history, or newly built up?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Location: Fictional city called Buena Vista on the Texas Gulf Coast, with a large Seasonal freehold of ~250 Changelings and higher than usual fae activity (Chicken-or-egg situation regarding the local Fae feud that use it as a designated battleground.) The place was built as a "city of tomorrow" during the 60's, so there are lingering touches of retro-futuristic architecture. All the space-age dreams in the city have given the local Hedge a bit of Space Opera flavor.

Group: They're going to be escaping together in a prologue, but not all in the same Durance. The local Feud formed a castle realm where they play through chosen roles that frame their actions in Buena Vista. The group are going to be present for a garden party in their castle courtyard, and some manner of chaos is going to present them with their opportunity to escape, assuming they don't cause said chaos themselves. I don't think I want to deal with Loyalists in the group for my first game, but The Old Bird is going to have 'enemy of my enemy' plans for them, and I'm thinking of letting them worry about what those plans might be.

Comment

Originally posted by BronzeDog View Post
              Location: Fictional city called Buena Vista on the Texas Gulf Coast, with a large Seasonal freehold of ~250 Changelings and higher than usual fae activity (Chicken-or-egg situation regarding the local Fae feud that use it as a designated battleground.) The place was built as a "city of tomorrow" during the 60's, so there are lingering touches of retro-futuristic architecture. All the space-age dreams in the city have given the local Hedge a bit of Space Opera flavor.
              Ah, so it is Mr. Zapf (correspondent of Mr. Night). I am now familiar with the setting. I'll start thinking up some story ideas. (To start with, if this is modern day, how about what's going on at the border lately?)

Originally posted by BronzeDog View Post
              Group: They're going to be escaping together in a prologue, but not all in the same Durance. The local Feud formed a castle realm where they play through chosen roles that frame their actions in Buena Vista. The group are going to be present for a garden party in their castle courtyard, and some manner of chaos is going to present them with their opportunity to escape, assuming they don't cause said chaos themselves. I don't think I want to deal with Loyalists in the group for my first game, but The Old Bird is going to have 'enemy of my enemy' plans for them, and I'm thinking of letting them worry about what those plans might be.
              Fair enough. Though, to salvage the idea, what about the Loyalist merely being an NPC they escape with? Could even have them do initial recon and undermining to put off "there is a traitor among us!" as a plot element until later.

What about items? Could a Token they escape with actually be a Prop? Or, in true Video Game fashion, an innocuous key/object they escape with be required to open some secret door/chest encountered later on?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
              X