CtL2e Reader Issues - Greybox Artwork

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CtL2e Reader Issues - Greybox Artwork

...ok, I was asked to take this out of the errata thread...but yeah, been having some issues with my backer copy of CtL2e.

Where some of the artwork won't display properly when viewed from my reader app. And instead I just get placeholder grey-box images. Specifically, the iBooks app on iPad Mini 4.

That said, it appears that some apps and platforms work fine while others don't. Viewing the PDF on my regular computer desktop using Adobe Acrobat (after re-downloading the PDF) displays all the artwork fine. Same as when I go to my Adobe Acrobat app on my iPad.

Would very much like this issue to be looked into; it ain't great if all readers aren't working for the PDF at 100%

Asking them to test the PDF on ever reader is a bit much. There's a lot of PDF readers out there.

And... if the problem is the app, not the file.. what is Onyx Path supposed to do?

Comment

What OS and app version are you running? The file runs perfectly fine on my iPad Mini 4, both in iBooks and Bookman.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
        What OS and app version are you running? The file runs perfectly fine on my iPad Mini 4, both in iBooks and Bookman.
        I'm on iOS 11.4.1 and iBooks 4.17 (3829.20).

Granted I think there's been a lot of reported issues with iBooks in general. I hear a lot that if you put books on the iCloud and sync them from there, iBooks will randomly delete books even if you have space for them. And I THINK I heard something about iBooks, despite deleting books and re-downloading them, will for some reason retain the older version of the book.

This might just be a thing where I have to wait for the finalized version of the PDF to be released.

Comment

That may be it. I'm still on iOS 10. Still, that's an Apple issue, not an Onyx Path one.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

If it's only one viewer then it's almost certainly because of that viewer. Otherwise I'd be inclined to think something went wrong in the transfer for some people considering only some people seem to be affected.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Well, looks like at this point I am stuck on waiting for the final PDF if iBooks doesn't want to cooperate. Or just shift to other reader apps, which I already have. Still, kind of a bummer because I like having all my PDFs on one e-reader and not split between different apps.

Comment

Preview on my mac has the same issue. Using Adobe Acrobat on both my iDevices and my mac works though, so it's almost definitely an issue with the way Apple reads PDFs.

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                  That may be it. I'm still on iOS 10. Still, that's an Apple issue, not an Onyx Path one.

I disagree. All(!) my books from Onyx Path work perfectly, except for this one. It’s neither working on my iPad Air nor on my iMac from 2017. And their software is always up to date. So obviously Onyx Path have changed something in their workflow that resulted in the problem. Otherwise more PDFs would have those boxes, but as I said, this is the only one!

Furthermore it’s the job of the the publisher to make their product work for the most commonly used devices and apps out there, and not the other way around. When I was a web developer writing clean code didn’t mean that you would get clean results in every browser. So it was our job to fix the issues of the browser. And we were not only fixing bugs of the current version…
                  Last edited by Elythia; 09-01-2018, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Slightly related issue - am I the only one for whom the links within the PDF don't work? Neither the table of contents nor the in-line references in text are clickable to take me to the relevant pages, unlike all of OPP's recent PDFs.

Comment

Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
                      Slightly related issue - am I the only one for whom the links within the PDF don't work? Neither the table of contents nor the in-line references in text are clickable to take me to the relevant pages, unlike all of OPP's recent PDFs.
                      Seeing as my DTRPG library hasn't updated the file since July, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's because you're trying to do that in an unfinalized document. They don't add the links in until the errata's done.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                        Seeing as my DTRPG library hasn't updated the file since July, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's because you're trying to do that in an unfinalized document. They don't add the links in until the errata's done.
                        Yeah. Page numbers will change during final layout, which is why p.XX gets used until then. Having to go back in and change every internal link would be a pain in the ass and would make it very easy to miss an unaltered link. Better to add them just once.

Comment

Surely that process is automated in this day and age.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                            Surely that process is automated in this day and age.
                            *stares at V5's still-not-fixed bookmarks*

Yes, but it's probably not perfect.

Comment

I'm more inclined to believe they either messed up or chose to do it manually considering how basic such a script would be. They most certainly skimped out on the technical proofing (the only time consuming process that OPP would have to repeat for both versions of the PDF) if they're not working. Adobe have been able to develop Acrobat for 25 years (although hypertext was likely not an original feature) and the rest of the world has had 10 years since the standardisation of PDF as an open format.

Edit: Gotta commend nuWW for upholding an old White Wolf tradition in the digital age.
                              Last edited by Tessie; 09-03-2018, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X