Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autumn's Bargain - edge cases?

So, in the 2e sourcebook, we get this:

"Autumn’s Bargain compels transparency. When the Court of Fear reigns, the Others and their pawns must give clear warning of their intentions before they attack. Autumn protects its children from the dread of uncertainty. The more powerful the Gentry, the further in advance it must announce its intentions; the time varies from a few hours to as much as a lunar month."

This Bargain seems like a lot of fun to play with (I'm already considering the mood in a Freehold that's received a warning with a long time period, and is now preparing for what it knows is likely to be a powerful attack), but the fact that announcement and attack are separated makes me wonder: how does this apply when one (but not both) of "attack" or "required announcement date" fall outside of Autumn?

Consider, for instance, a Gentry that would usually have to announce its attack 2 weeks in advance. This Gentry decides to attack 1 week after the Autumn Coronation. Do they announce their intentions:
    1. 2 weeks before the attack, in Summer - Autumn's Bargain holding because the attack will take place in Autumn, even though the announcement does not?
    2. At the moment of the Autumn Coronation - the requirement to announce only coming into force when Autumn takes the throne, even if this means a foreshortening of the usual announcement time?
    3. At the moment of the Autumn Coronation, and they are unable to attack until 2 weeks after the Coronation - Autumn's Bargain coming in at the same time as example 2, but also including a strict enforcement of the required notice period?
    Similarly, if this same Gentry decides instead to attack a week after the Winter Coronation, do they:
    1. Have to announce this a week before the Winter Coronation - Autumn's requirement to announce still holding while Autumn holds the throne?
    2. Not have to announce this, as the attack itself takes place outside of Autumn?
    Any thoughts? How would you intepret this in your game? Or if any of the devs are reading this; is there a canon answer for how these edge cases are supposed to work?

Originally posted by itokro View Post
    Consider, for instance, a Gentry that would usually have to announce its attack 2 weeks in advance. This Gentry decides to attack 1 week after the Autumn Coronation.
    Then the Gentry still needs to announce the attack two weeks in advance.

Similarly, if this same Gentry decides instead to attack a week after the Winter Coronation
    Then the Bargain isn't in effect.

The Bargain has power over the attacks of the Gentry. The warning is a qualifier for the attacks. If this qualifier isn't fulfilled at the time of the attack, the attack would break the Bargain.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

...this leads me to the conclusion that the most effective time for the Gentry to attack would be during the Autumn Coronation, but just before the crown changes hands. The attack technically occurs in Summer, freeing them of Autumn's requirement to give notice, but as soon as the crown does change over then Summer's Bargain will presumably cease to apply, allowing them to retreat if necessary. Or am I missing something?

Comment

...this leads me to the conclusion that the most effective time for the Gentry to attack would be during the Autumn Coronation, but just before the crown changes hands. The attack technically occurs in Summer, freeing them of Autumn's requirement to give notice, but as soon as the crown does change over then Summer's Bargain will presumably cease to apply, allowing them to retreat if necessary. Or am I missing something?
        If anything, I'd say it's the reverse; once Autumn's Bargain is in place, announcements must be delivered before any invasion can take place. If an invasion is nearby, or even in progress, then Autumn basically puts red tape all over things. The invading forces can retreat, but they cannot progress until an appropriate time has passed. Simply by arriving, they've marked their intent to invade.

Comment

Originally posted by Taidragon View Post

If anything, I'd say it's the reverse; once Autumn's Bargain is in place, announcements must be delivered before any invasion can take place.
          Sure, but if the invasion takes place in Summer - which it technically would if the crown hasn't yet changed hands - then Autumn's Bargain doesn't apply and the Gentry can attack unannounced. Instead, Summer's "no retreat" would be in force... until Autumn takes over. Whereupon they have to announce any new attacks, but it seems less clear-cut for the case of attacks already in progress. The extreme example of this would be a siege that starts in summer and lasts into the autumn - would the Gentry have to break their siege on Autumn's arrival because they didn't announce the siege beforehand? I'm not convinced they would.

Comment

As long as the siege began a sufficient time in advance of the Autumn’s reign, I’d consider the siege itself to count as sufficient notice. As for a massive attack launched moments before Autumn’s reign begins, I would say that it would disrupt the ritual, leaving Summer’s rules in effect. If they still managed to transfer power, I’d say that they were in violation of Autumn’s rules as soon as they took power.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
            Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, DtR The Clades Companion, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
            Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Working...
            X