Contracts of Allure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contracts of Allure

This is my first homebrew contract, so I'd love some critique on it!

Contracts of Allure

Fae and hobgoblins alike are well known to trick mortals to walk into danger without realizing it.
    These clauses are for fae like kelpies, sirens, veela and others who lure, seduce or mind control their victims.

Charm ( • )

With graceful motion and seemingly shimmering eyes, skin or fur, the changeling lowers the target's resistance to persuasion and makes the target see the changeling in a slightly better light.

Cost: 1 glamour or 2 glamour + 1 willpower
    Dice pool: Manipulation + Wyrd
    Action: Instant
    Catch: The target/s are safe in their own home and the changeling is there due to invitation for a pleasant visit, such as a party or a friendly meeting.

Dramatic Failure: The target/s become suspicious of the changeling and gain +1 die to all social and mental defense rolls. They also become immune to this clause until the scene ends.

Failure: The clause fails.

Success: The target/s feel more comfortable with the changeling and experience a penalty equal to the changeling’s Wyrd to all Resolve or Composure rolls to resist seduction or persuasion. If the changeling spends one point of Glamour, this clause affects one target the changeling can see clearly. If the changeling spends two points of Glamour and one point of Willpower, the clause affects everyone within three yards per dot of Willpower the changeling possesses. In both cases, this effect lasts for one scene.

Exceptional Success: The penalty to rolls to resist persuasion is equal to the changeling's Wyrd +2.

Coaxing the Auto-Pilot ( • • )

The changeling can make a target do a minor act without thinking, such as putting down an item they're holding, or turning the wrong way while traveling.
    When the target comes to its senses and remembers the action s/he will make up a reason for committing the action. "I must have thought I was going to the store."

Cost: 2 glamour
    Dice pool: Wits + Wyrd vs. target's Wits + Composure
    Action: Contested
    Catch: The changeling must know the target's current plan of action, related to the action that the changeling is trying to coax. Eg, the changeling must know what the target is planning to do with the item or where the target is actually planning to go.

Dramatic Failure: The target is suddenly more focused and mindful of its surroundings with as many extra dice for perception-based rolls as the player botched with.

Failure: The coax fails.

Success: One success makes the target do a minor act and is completely oblivious to it for 1 minute. Each extra success adds another 2 minutes.

Exceptional success: The target stays completely oblivious of an action until it's reminded by an external source, such as arriving at the wrong place or being asked where the item is located.

Mesmerize ( • • • )

The changeling looks into a target's eyes and gives it a mental command. The target follows it blindly in all but for its own direct survival.
    The changeling can hold power of an amount of commands equal to its Wyrd +2 at any one time, and each command is a one-time use for the target. One command can be no more than one sentence long and take no more than a scene to complete. The command does not have to be acted upon at once, but may have conditional settings.
    Eg. "Take my side in the argument about ownership of the house, but only if my opponent wears red shoes."
    The target will not remember taking the command. The changeling can use an instant action to release the connection to one command.
    Should the target get opposing commands from the same changeling, new commands will trump the old. Opposing commands from different changelings is ranked in the following descending order: successes, Wyrd, chance.

Cost: 2 glamour
    Dice Pool: Presence + Wyrd vs. target's Occult + Wyrd
    Catch: The next time the target asks or tells the changeling to do something, the changeling obeys in all but for direct danger, or suffer damage to his/her Wyrd.

Dramatic Failure: The changeling fumbles somewhere in the transfer of logic and the target has misunderstood the meaning of the command.

Failure: The changeling's thoughts either doesn't penetrate into the target's mind, or the target knows to look away from shimmering eyes.

Success: The changeling's eyes shimmer as they plant one command into the target's mind.

Exceptional success: The command does not count up towards the maximum amount of commands that the changeling can hold.

Siren's Song ( • • • • )

There are many reasons for the fae to will a subject into emotional submission. With words, dance or otherworldly song, this clause makes the changeling into the apple of the target's eye, unconsciously knowing how to act or what to say to appeal to that individual. The changeling does everything just... right. A target that can see or hear the changeling's performance is completely star-stuck and tries to earn the changeling's love, respect and attention.

Cost: 3 glamour
    Dice pool: Performance + Wyrd vs. target's Composure + Wyrd
    Catch: The changeling has to gently and unforcibly stroke the very skin of the target's chest or thigh.

Dramatic Failure: The target falls madly in love with the changeling. Nothing, not even the changeling, shall stand in the target's way to be in the changeling's mere presence, to have, hold and possess - and the target may make complex, patient plots to make it so. The target will appear to help the changeling in its ambitions, but only until the target sees their chance to turn the plan in their favor. The clause lasts for one month.

Failure: The changeling's performance is unimpressive.

Success: Taking in the performance, the target instantly falls in sweet love with the changeling for one scene. The target will help in any endeavor the changeling may ask or appear to need that does not mean death for any of them.
    After the effect wears off, the target will still remember every action the changeling had them do. If they wouldn't usually be comfortable with those actions, they will be convinced the changeling forced them - supernaturally or otherwise - into doing those actions and hold the changeling responsible.

Exceptional success: Even after the clause ends, the target will permanently feel a physical attraction for the changeling's current shape & form, though acting upon it will be a conscious choice.

Puppeteer Possession ( • • • • • )

The changeling takes possession of a target's body.
    This clause puts the target in a dream state, and the changeling in control of the target's body. The changeling sees and senses the world through the body of the target. Only acts of survival, such as taking a much needed breath or NOT stepping off a ledge, are left to the target to control. Anything else is up to the changeling. If the target has supernatural abilities, they are not available to the changeling. The changeling can however still use contracts through the new body. Any negative side effects gained by contracts or other fae magic will as usual befall the changeling's body, mind, spirit, life, fate, worldly possessions or name.

Cost: 2 glamour + 1 willpower
    Dice pool: Manipulation + Wyrd vs. Resolve + Wyrd
    Catch: The changeling must not only already have some kind of power over the target's current ambitions, such as through politics or persuasion, but must also wear a pair of the target's shoes.

Dramatic Failure: The possession reverses and the target is now in control of the changeling. The rules for a Success apply for the target, but only for up to 10 minutes.

Failure: The clause fails.

Success: The changeling possesses a target it can see for up to Wyrd * 10 minutes, but can break the connection at any time. During the possession, the changeling has no control, nor sensation of their own body, which is put in a relaxed, breathing state. Should the changeling's body die during a possession, the mind lives on inside the target until the changeling either releases the clause, the time runs out, or the mind is magically put into another vessel.

Exceptional Success: The changeling can feel especially strong feelings from the target about the environment they traverse or people they meet. The changeling is also allowed perception rolls to experience hollow, distant senses from the changeling's own body, such as pain, hunger, fatigue, acceleration, taste or such.
    Last edited by Spinnerling; 01-21-2019, 02:32 PM.

Cool! I can imagine veela as a Fairest kith

Comment

Originally posted by Froggo View Post
      Cool! I can imagine veela as a Fairest kith
      Definitely.
      As you mentioned it, I read up on the Fairest (since it's been at least a year since I actually made this) and their blessing works great with it, giving them extra dice to the pools. Comparing it to Contracts of Vainglory, I realize I could even buff the effects up a little.

Comment

Updated the contract with some extra power, restrictions, responsibilities and fun stuff for the storyteller to use as plot points. Also renamed the fourth clause "Siren's Song".

Comment

Looks fun!

I would probably make 1 & 2 contested rolls still (composure + wyrd?), as you're potentially slapping characters with a -1 to -5 to being persuaded or forced to act without giving them a chance to resist.

Rank 1 Perhaps make the exceptional success the area effect, as the afformentioned Wyrd reduction is already potentially quite powerful and doesn't really need a boost. Also gets rid of the need for a more expensive cost in glamour and WP. I also like the idea that if a changeling does too well they attract the attention of people they weren't intending to.

Rank 2 probably doesn't need a WP expenditure as it's a relatively minor but situationally useful effect (like all good low lvl contract powers should be!)

Rank 3 contest for supernaturals should use their powerstat, so wits + Wyrd (Other power stats are available). And again, need to give mortals a chance to resist, wits + composure?

Rank 4 & 5 seem all good and mechanically sound.

Last edited by Dom2772; 01-21-2019, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom2772 View Post
            Looks fun!

I would probably make 1 & 2 contested rolls still (composure + wyrd?), as you're potentially slapping characters with a -1 to -5 to being persuaded or forced to act without giving them a chance to resist.
            I thought about this, but compare the first clause to that of Darkness, which it's basically a mod of. For the second clause, I can agree that a contested roll could indeed be appropriate.

Rank 1 Perhaps make the exceptional success the area effect, as the afformentioned Wyrd reduction is already potentially quite powerful and doesn't really need a boost. Also gets rid of the need for a more expensive cost in glamour and WP. I also like the idea that if a changeling does too well they attract the attention of people they weren't intending to.
            I have never actually seen a power in World of Darkness that goes out of hand by making an exceptional success. At least in cases of manipulation - social finesse being the ability modifier - I think the amount of successes symbolize the mastery of handling the magic rather than mustering an overwhelming power.

Rank 2 probably doesn't need a WP expenditure as it's a relatively minor but situationally useful effect (like all good low lvl contract powers should be!)
            You are quite right. I did just now, however, notice that every other seeming contract except Contracts of Darkness have their second clause cost 2 glamour. I think I'm just gonna follow that trend.

Rank 3 contest for supernaturals should use their powerstat, so wits + Wyrd (Other power stats are available). And again, need to give mortals a chance to resist, wits + composure?
            Hmm. At first, my intention was to not give mortals a chance if the changeling succeeds with the roll, but you're right. It's needed. After going through a couple of alternatives, I've arrived at a potential solution. The target uses their supernatural power with their occult skill for this defense roll. That makes the most sense to me, because I love the idea of mortals using the occult skill for defensive purposes.

Rank 4 & 5 seem all good and mechanically sound.
            Glad you liked them This is really good feedback. Thanks a lot.
            Last edited by Spinnerling; 01-21-2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinnerling View Post

I have never actually seen a power in World of Darkness that goes out of hand by making an exceptional success. At least in cases of manipulation - social finesse being the ability modifier - I think the amount of successes symbolize the mastery of handling the magic rather than mustering an overwhelming power.
              Poor wording on my end perhaps. I enjoy having exceptional successes having big consequences like dramatic failures, but to put it a bit more style agnostic-

'On an exceptional success the Changeling may target an additional number of characters in the scene up to their Wyrd score. These additional characters have -1 to resist if they care about the initial targets opinions.'

That way its an option to increase the targets at no additional glamour and they get a little -ve modifier due to peer pressure (depending on the situation I suppose)

Comment

Working...
              X