Faerie Craftsman Style Homebrew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faerie Craftsman Style Homebrew

Some Changelings and Hobs are not content to let the whims of the Hedge tell them what they can and cannot have as tokens. Some learn to do so for the joy of the craft others learn in the hopes of making the perfect item to defeat the Huntsmen or even to get rich in glamour or favors.

Prerequisites: Craft (3 dots) Occult(3 dots) and Wyrd (0+)

Gathering the Materials(**): To create a token of power requires special ingredients (2 for every dot in the token) and this is a skill for finding and gathering these rare materials. Whenever the characters is witness to a special moment of intense emotion or significance he can make a Craft+Perception+wyrd role to notice the gathering of the Wyrd and if successful may pay one point of glamour to make a Occult+Wits+wyrd role to capture the power in an object that represents the moment. Examples include the first ray of sunshine to touch a freed prisoners face the laugh of a infant the last drop of blood from a murderer a dream of greatness and success. These can also be very useful in the Goblin market and can be traded one for one to reduce goblin debt.

Enchanting the Tools(***): To create a token of power you need tools of power and in this Craftsmen's hands and a touch of Glamour and will all his tools become worthy. Whatever item or tool is appropriate for your style of crafting you may spend 1 point of Glamour and will to add 1+wyrd to his crafting rolls. This must happen to succeed in the crafting of a token but can be used for more mundane things. This must be used in an act of creation never can he enchant his tools to help in destruction to even try would invite disaster.

Forging the Token(****): After gaining the appropriate amount of ingredients and enchanting your tools the last thing to be done is the real work. Roll as normal for crafting but for every dot of the token subtract two dices from the roll. This can never be jury rigging and must always be an extended action with one hour per dot.
    Also allows for the Creation of a unique kind of Token that only a faerie craftsman can make called a Contract Focus(description below)

Master for the Art(*****) The craftsman has devoted himself to his art and the Wyrd reward him for his dedication The craftsman may up to his Craft rating per chapter ignore the effects of a drawback from using a token.

Contract Focus(*-*****) Focuses are very sought after tokens and are one of the main contributors to the wealth and status to Faerie Craftsman. A focus is shaped in a representation of one of the Arcadian regalia or a Courts theme a crown regalia focus doesnt have to be a crown but it must be a symbol of authority like a badge the steed doesnt need to be a method of transportation but could be a statue or carving of an animal a focus for Winter could be an Icicle or a crying mask. What ever shape they are the focuses provide their dot value as an equipment bonus to any contract that falls under the category that they represent.

Drawback: All focuses are items of power created by a master of a rare art and as such are very vain any attempt to lie or hide about what they are automatically fails if this causes the user trouble gain a beat.

So I really like the ideal of creating magical items. I kinda wrote this all in one go and its kinda rough but I wanted to get it out of my head and see what everyone thinks of it.
    Im open to suggestions and corrections.

Meritsare usually 1-5 dots. Maybe downgrade everything by a dot?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I like the idea but you're missing the first dot. I'd move everything down one dot and shift their powers a bit.

Gathering the Materials works pretty much unchanged in spirit as a first dot. The rolls need to be changed though. I would tie them more into the merit personally. Also, i don't think you can use your full perception rating as part of a roll. Wits + Craft + Wyrd as a reflexive roll should get across the same idea, with the ability to add certain Interdisciplinary Specialties in emotions and tokens to the roll. I would remove the Wyrd from the second roll and make it an instant action, but allow you to roll it as many times per scene as you have dots in the merit.

I would have the 2nd dot be the ability to make contract focuses the same way you would make the average token for some sort of extra price. On further thought, i might even switch this and Gathering the Materials. Call this one "Studying the Wyrd".

I would make a renamed Master of the Art the third dot basically unchanged

Enchanting the Tools could be the fourth dot. Just remember that even with this merit, the tools needed to craft a token may still be stuff stranger than hammers and sewing needles and other tools of mundane crafting. I would make the activation cost 2 glamour and just make it a straight +Wyrd bonus lasting until the end of the scene with a minimum of 1 even for Wyrd 0 characters. I would also change the restrictions to widen them, making the bonus work for any action that could be affected by that equipment bonus and is part of a eventual plan to make a token, whether it is gathering the materials, getting favors, finding help, and especially actually crafting the token. However, if you ever destroy a token or even give up entirely on finishing your current project, you cannot benefit from the bonus for the rest of the chapter or until you save another token from destruction

And Forging the Token could be an excellent fifth dot. I would make so you still have to do it in the Hedge, and allow for the use of a wider variety of skills and attributes to make up the dice pool as appropriate. Also, I'm not sure how to do it, but i feel like there should some part of the process that involves imbuing the item with its story to give it power.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Also, is this 1e or 2e?

Comment

I meant this for 2e.
          Yeah sorry on some of the rule mistakes like using the perception in the role I was writing it quickly while it was in my head kinda a shower thought.

If you know what I mean thanks for the suggestions.

I'll be working on a more polished one later but does the ideal behind it at least seem fun?

Also what does everyone think of contract focuses? Does the drawback seem right? I was thinking of adding that you could only ever have one on you otherwise neither work to show how vain they are and not have one character be covered in bling.
          Last edited by hyperspacewizard; 11-14-2018, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I would put more mechanical weight behind their "vanity", but yes, i like the idea behind this merit

Also, lease dont keep apologizing for stuff you already explained in the Opening post. It just makes people uncomfortable. And dont apologize for apologizing either. You're already forgiven by me at least for making a cool merit that already seems fairly balanced for a first draft.
            Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 11-14-2018, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Some Changelings and Hobs are not content to let the whims of the Hedge tell them what they can and cannot have as tokens. Some learn to do so for the joy of the craft others learn in the hopes of making the perfect item to defeat the Huntsmen or even to get rich in glamour or favors. Part poet part workman the Faerie craftsman must take the stuff of dreams and stories and forge them into solid tools.

Prerequisites: Craft (3 dots) Occult(3 dots) Expression (2 dots) and Wyrd (0+)

Gathering the Materials(*): To create a token of power requires special ingredients (2 for every dot in the token) and this is a skill for finding and gathering these rare materials. Whenever the characters is witness to a special moment of intense emotion or significance he can make a Craft+Wits+wyrd role to notice the gathering of the Wyrd and if successful may pay one point of glamour to make a Occult+Wits role to capture the power in an object that represents the moment. Examples include the first ray of sunshine to touch a freed prisoners face the laugh of a infant the last drop of blood from a murderer a dream of greatness and success. These can also be very useful in the Goblin market and can be traded one for one to reduce goblin debt or more strange trades or bribes.

Bond with the Tools(**): To create a token of power you need tools of power and a clear heart full of purpose. Craftsmen's learn how to bond with any type of equipment mixing his story, fate and power with it. Whatever item or tool is appropriate for the roll the Craftsmen spend 2 glamour and 1 willpower and adds his Faerie Craftsman dots to rolls that said bonded tool is useful for so a pen being used to write a poem or a computer being used to craft a program would both benefit from this. This can be used to bond with weapons,shields and armor but either subtract 2 from the bonus or spend 1 more willpower for the full bonus. The bonus last for as scene. This must happen to succeed in the crafting of a token. Being so fully bonded to an item has some scary drawbacks the item wants to be close to you and if separated from you will provided anyone who has it the bonus you used to track you down. This bonus to tracking last for a full chapter. Guard your tools well.

Forging the Token(***): After gaining the appropriate amount of ingredients and enchanting your tools the last thing to be done is the real work. Roll as normal for crafting but for every dot of the token subtract two dices from the roll. This can never be jury rigging and must always be an extended action with one hour per dot.
              The forging must be done in a place of power or significance different locations may be required for different tokens and may provide bonuses or shape and twist the token in unique ways. Examples include: a Hollow with the appropriate workshop merit, a Spirit locus of the appropriate essence type.
              After forging your first token you may never destroy a token or piece of art otherwise you will forfeit the use off all the merits in this style until the end of the current chapter.This is the cost of this power over the wyrd.

Making Masterpieces(****): After forging and created some of the more mundane tokens for a while the craftsmen start wanting to branch out and really create wonders and things never before seen.
              This merit allows for the creation of two special kinds of tokens Contract Focuses and Wonders(description below). Both have special rules in there creation.
              To forge a Contract focus the Craftsmen must have a number of contracts under the Regalia or court equal to the bonus he wants the focus to have or make a special oath with someone who has the appropriate amount of contracts and the oath bound must help in the creation of said focus. Goblin contracts can never have a focus made for them.
              Wonders are each nearly one of a kind creations and as such are even more difficult to create when making one you do not benefit from the ten again rule. Also requires a special ingredient above and beyond the normal amount so if your gm decides a wonder is worth four dots you will need 9 ingredients appropriate for its creation.

Master for the Art(*****) The craftsman has devoted himself to his art and the Wyrd reward him for his dedication. Tokens recognize him as a creator and parent of there kind. The craftsman may up to his Craft rating per chapter ignore the effects of a drawback from using a token.

Contract Focus(*-*****) Focuses are very sought after tokens and are one of the main contributors to the wealth and status to Faerie Craftsman. A focus is shaped in a representation of one of the Arcadian regalia or a Courts theme a crown regalia focus doesnt have to be a crown but it must be a symbol of authority like a badge the steed doesnt need to be a method of transportation but could be a statue or carving of an animal a focus for Winter could be an Icicle or a crying mask. What ever shape they are the focuses provide their dot value as an equipment bonus to any contract that falls under the category that they represent.

Drawback: All focuses are items of power created by a master of a rare art and as such are very vain any attempt to lie or hide about what they are automatically fails if this causes the user trouble gain a beat. Only one focus can be carried by a person or none of the bonuses work for any contracts. Focuses may start affecting a characters mien especially if it lines up with their Mantle or favored regalia making them more noticeable.

A Wonders(*-*****) A wonder is a token that has one power or ability from any creature in the Chronicles of Darkness and the special ingredient must be sourced from the creature the power your trying to create so the fang of a werewolf or the eye of a vampire the cry of a ghost a dream of a mage ect... something appropriate for the power your forging into the token these be bargained for or stolen.
              Catches and drawbacks are appropriate for the creature the power is sourced from to benefit from a vampires strength you might have to drink human blood to benefit from a mages clear sight you might take a clarity attack to gain a werewolf regenation you could make a sacrifice to mother moon.

Okay second draft what does everyone think?
              Last edited by hyperspacewizard; 11-14-2018, 03:50 PM. Reason: some spelling errors ect...

Comment

Will come back to this latter, but first thing that is coming to mind (besides editing the inevitable grammar mistakes) is that, unless you think it's too complicated, make the skill prerequisites a total of 3 dots in Craft and Expression combined, with a minimum of Craft 1. As in, you could have Craft 3, Expression 0, Craft 2, Expression 1, or Craft 1, Expression 2.

Also, I feel like a Craft or Occult Specialty in Tokens or Wyrd in general seems like it should be involved, either as a benefit or prerequisite, not sure which really.

Comment

Working...
                X