Communications between The Hedge & Ironside

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Communications between The Hedge & Ironside

So a question came up in my group. I have some ideas of my own, but I would love to see what the collective unconscious has to say on this topic.

A group enters The Hedge; part of the group stays behind in the "Real World". At least one member in each group holds a communications device (telephone, walkie talkie, whatever).

How does the signal-to-noise ratio function? Would you allow for clear communications between the two groups? Always? For an hour? For a certain mindset? Or do lines of communications automatically go awry?

This is of particular note and amusement because a group of Hunters have been scoping out our Lost...

First off, anything that goes via radio towers or satellites would immediately stop working in the Hedge as they no longer have connection (possibly unless you're right at the Hedgeway). Direct communication devices would fail the moment the Hedgeway closes (which they do in just turns, if I remember the preview correctly) unless there's another one open within range for both groups. This is assuming radio waves aren't affected by being in the Hedge. I don't think they'd be stopped, but should they pass through the Thorns who knows what the recipient will end up hearing instead of or in addition to the original broadcast?

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Furthermore, the closer you are to Faerie, the less reliable any technology becomes.

Comment

Mundane tech at least

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

There's no way regular cellphones or walkie talkies would work anywhere but right beside an open gate. You could probably craft a token that can make calls outside the Hedge though. Hollows can get a "land line" on the cheap, so it stands to reason that a slightly more expensive mobile phone token would be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
            There's no way regular cellphones or walkie talkies would work anywhere but right beside an open gate. You could probably craft a token that can make calls outside the Hedge though. Hollows can get a "land line" on the cheap, so it stands to reason that a slightly more expensive mobile phone token would be possible.
            On the other hand, if there are words that the Wyrd and definitely the Hedge hate, it's the words "always" and "never".

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Yeah, "always" and "never" are real bugbears that way. The situation I am exploring is currently very Near Hedge, just the other side of a gate from a major city. As the Near Hedge often mimics local surroundings, I can imagine even cell phones working in a very warped manner.

Comment

Would tjey be the same cell towers though?

Comment

Originally posted by MhicWombat View Post
                  Yeah, "always" and "never" are real bugbears that way. The situation I am exploring is currently very Near Hedge, just the other side of a gate from a major city. As the Near Hedge often mimics local surroundings, I can imagine even cell phones working in a very warped manner.
                  That's a pretty reasonable approach to it.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                  The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                  Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                    Would tjey be the same cell towers though?
                    I could see a twisted version of them ... Maybe like Clacks a la Discworld ... Or biomechanical?

Comment

I mean. There might be twisted cell towers in the Hedge that reflect the radio comms network of the Ironside city, but do the Hedge towers transmit signals to the mundane towers and vice-versa?

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                        On the other hand, if there are words that the Wyrd and definitely the Hedge hate, it's the words "always" and "never".
                        Fire up your radio and it's just as likely to put you in contact with Amelia Earhart slightly off-track to Howland Island.

Comment

In 2e it's mentioned that in the hedge technology works... weirdly. One of the examples was a cellphone that only calls the person you last told a secret to. So it'll probably work just not in any way reliably or rationally. It might list contacts in order of the last people you kissed or it might only be able to call those who are currently dreaming.

Comment

The first edition mentions that technology becomes less reliable the closer you get to Faerie and remains spotty throughout. One example is a changeling trying to use a cellphone hears the voice of their Keeper on the other end exclaim "Oh, there you are..."

Comment

Working...
                            X