Hedge Beast Companion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hedge Beast Companion

I am comfortably certain that a year or two ago I saw a write-up given by one of the developers for the second edition version of the hedge beast companion merit. I've gotten my backer PDF and apparently the hedge beast companion merit didn't make it into the final copy. I would still like to use the merit but I can't find the post to save my life. Can anyone tell me where to look for the that post??

I believe the Fey Mount fulfills this purpose?

Comment

I doubt that the original post is still up, but I somewhat obsessively saved preview material because I wanted to be able to see what changed between drafts and finished product.

Here's the text of that merit:

Hedgebeast Companion (• to •••)
      Effect: Through friendship or circumstance, the changeling has earned the trust of a creature of the Hedge. These hobgoblins are intelligent enough to converse, but generally don’t stray too far in behavior from the mundane animal they most resemble. This relationship is one of mutual respect or obligation, but isn’t assumed to be bound by pledge. While a pledge is possible, these Hedge Beasts are cunning enough not to enter such a deal by accident.
      The Hedge Beast starts with the stats of its closest animal counterpart. By default, it can speak but not read, it has a Mask that allows it to follow the changeling into the mundane world, and it can use trods with the same efficiency as one of the Lost. The supernatural benefits of the beast are built by the following guidlines:
      • Wyrd 1, up to Size 2, Merits up to five points, two dots of Contracts.
      •• Wyrd 2, up to Size 4, Merits up to seven points, three dots in Contracts.
      ••• Wyrd 3, up to Size 6, Merits up to ten points, four dots in Contracts.
      Note: You can find example animals in the Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook, p. XX.

Comment

Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
        I believe the Fey Mount fulfills this purpose?
        Thanks. Yes the steed is the closest thing in the book to what I'm looking for, but it is a lot more limited than the original merit.

Comment

Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
          I doubt that the original post is still up, but I somewhat obsessively saved preview material because I wanted to be able to see what changed between drafts and finished product.

Here's the text of that merit:

Hedgebeast Companion (• to •••)
          Effect: Through friendship or circumstance, the changeling has earned the trust of a creature of the Hedge. These hobgoblins are intelligent enough to converse, but generally don’t stray too far in behavior from the mundane animal they most resemble. This relationship is one of mutual respect or obligation, but isn’t assumed to be bound by pledge. While a pledge is possible, these Hedge Beasts are cunning enough not to enter such a deal by accident.
          The Hedge Beast starts with the stats of its closest animal counterpart. By default, it can speak but not read, it has a Mask that allows it to follow the changeling into the mundane world, and it can use trods with the same efficiency as one of the Lost. The supernatural benefits of the beast are built by the following guidlines:
          • Wyrd 1, up to Size 2, Merits up to five points, two dots of Contracts.
          •• Wyrd 2, up to Size 4, Merits up to seven points, three dots in Contracts.
          ••• Wyrd 3, up to Size 6, Merits up to ten points, four dots in Contracts.
          Note: You can find example animals in the Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook, p. XX.
          Thank you! I wish I was foresighted enough to save things like that. Sometimes the write ups that never actually make it into the book appeal to me more than what does (I think I actually preferred the path write-ups for MtA from the pre-release information over what appeared in the book itself).

Comment

I think one reason it wasn't included is that there's a single example animal in the entire CofD book. If they wanted to include Hedgebeast Companion they'd have to remove the last reference and thus have a Merit that required home brewing to be usable in the slightest.
            If you want some animals for this Merit you could instead take a look at this semi-official list. Other than that there's a trained guard dog in CofD, p.121 (with simplified dice pools instead of Skills) and a serpent in VtR's Secrets of the Covenants, p.195 (just calculate Health normally instead of what's written and fudge a fitting Toxicity if it's a venomous snake you want).

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
            X